[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GBC modding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: 154px-Game-Boy-Color-Yellow.jpg (8KB, 154x240px) Image search: [Google]
154px-Game-Boy-Color-Yellow.jpg
8KB, 154x240px
Anyone experience / tips for GBC modding?
>>
File: a.jpg (216KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
216KB, 640x480px
>>3583489

My personal experience with the GBC is that it is the least rewarding gameboy to mod. The pocket is hardest to work with but this is a close second. Backlighting it sucks so much fucking power, more so than any other model. It almost always causes issues with the sound output (speaker and headphone jack) either or humming, buzzing, or a higher noise floor than normal. The sound itself on an unmodded GBC is a somewhat thin unless you are willing to do the bassboost / rca out mod. I really only use the DMG, and mostly for making music, it's more forgiving if you make mistakes and sounds a great deal better, even after it's been modded.
>>
>>3583489
you can't install a backlight, and frontlight mods are trash.

alternatives:
>gb pocket or dmg for pre-Color games
>gb boy colour
>gbp + gbi (just get this imo, unless you must take your 25 year old games on the bus with you)

might be worth mentioning there is a dedicated thread for this stuff
>>>/vr/gametechwiki
>>
the best you can do is a loca's frontlight and a gbAmp with a soundtraxx model train speaker and speaker box (tiny internal). it's easy to get bubbles during the frontlight install.
>>
The most you're going to be able to do is install a front light and a better speaker/amp.
If you want to play Game Boy Color games, grab a GBA SP AGS-101 model. Or, if you're lucky, grab a classic GBA with an AGS-101 screen for cheap (the screens aren't made anymore, so prices are rising).
>>
>>3585192
>>3585217
>>3585267
Wow. Just wow. Sorry OP. Your thread is infested with tards. Kill it and ask in the mod/repair thread where at least a few people know what they're talking about and idiots like these get run out of town.
>>
>>3584980
*Frontlighting.
>>
>>3585562
Well, what are you gonna add to the thread?
>>
File: Shitfuck.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
Shitfuck.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
I wouldn't recommend GBC modding because it's quite restrictive. I haven't done a whole lot of it as a result.

From an audio standpoint its a fucking buzzy piece of shit. I own 4 GBC's and they all have this horrid buzzing sound that's super noticeable if you're used to DMG audio. I've seen little boards that are basically just little audio filters you put inline with your audio plug. The GBC has by far the worst audio of all the Game Boy's so I wouldn't even waste your time here.

The case give a lot less real estate for adding things than a DMG. You can buy clear buttons and put small LEDs behind them. In my experience they look like ass if they're just straight see through and have no way to diffuse the light.

As stated previously it's a bitch to front light. I have a friend who did a ghetto front light for a GBA. He attached 2 tiny LEDs so that they'd shine on the screen but behind the faceplate. It worked surprisingly well.

You can paint it up like in pic related but with a GBC case. I normally buy new shells from China. I'm also working on laser cutting a new faceplate with etching and all, so you could also try that if you have some way of cutting thin Plexiglass. I'm thinking of using that window frosting paint instead of laser etching because the plexiglass has to be cast acrylic or else the laser I'll use wont fog the glass. You could probably do the same.

I've messed around with clock modding by swapping out the tin can oscillator so you could try a variable clock mod. When I did mine I was just messing around so I kept the Game Boy shell open and swapped the crystal oscillators to a socket soldered onto where the old tin can was. It's not much of a step up to get some kind of IC that can change the clock speed with a potentiometer.

You might be able to dig around and find some other types of mods but that's pretty much it as far as I know off the top of my head.

TL;DR DMG is the master race of Game Boys
>>
>>3585565
Aside from suggesting he post in the correct thread what should I add dingus?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.