[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Started playing Final Fantasy 2/4. How long does it take for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 12

File: FFIVnds_logo.jpg (999KB, 2499x2375px) Image search: [Google]
FFIVnds_logo.jpg
999KB, 2499x2375px
Started playing Final Fantasy 2/4. How long does it take for the game to become challenging? I'm still at the very beginning (the little girl just officially joined my party) but battles are just fucking annoyingly slow even on the fastest speed.

Enemies aren't dealing shit for damage (a bunch of them hit for 1 point!) and it's just slow and aggravating. But, it's the beginning of the game, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the very very early game that's so easy it's boring.

So how long does it take for the game to get kind of challenging? Does it get challenging or is the rest of it a cakewalk?

Playing the SNES version if that makes a difference.
>>
>>3581597
2 never get's challenging

The remake of 4 is more challenging than the original 4 but the original gets hard about 70% of the way through and then get's easy as fuck for the rest of the game if you don't run away from any fights.
>>
Never, really. You never have to grind, because any roadblocks or tougher dungeons can be cleared if you just play smart, though.

The challenge in most jRPGs is in preparation for the long, grueling dungeons where you might get buttfucked and will be forced to start from a saving point. And figuring out the boss patterns and weaknesses. Some people grind, some people learn how to use available resources well. Juggling the available items for occasions, using consumables and getting summons for Rydia will deterine your success.

It's a comfy adventure, mostly, though, and you should not have problems as a reasoning adult.
>>
/v/ banned my ass again, now you guys are my friends.
>>
>>3581597
the DS version is challenging (probably the toughest FF), try that one
the SNES version gets tougher during the tower of zot or so
the US SNES version is dumbed down
both GBA versions are buggy

also, be sure you've set the speed to 1 (and active)
I made that mistake as a kid by thinking 6 is the fastest setting
>>
>>3581621
What about the PS1 (FF Chronicles) version? Heard that one's hard as muh dik.
>>
>>3581624
can't say, I avoid the playstation ports because of loading times (even though I grew up with the console)
>>
>>3581621
Yeah, it's set to 1 and active.

In what way was the US version dumbed down?
>>
>>3581621
I think the DS version of III could be considered harder, just given on how the boss fights are, how hard the dungeons can be, and how few (as in no) save points they give you in all of that.
>>
>>3581665
censorship, removal of spells, abilities, items
reduced item costs
not sure if they messed with enemy AI and stats though
>>
File: 1452607370363.jpg (307KB, 877x1239px) Image search: [Google]
1452607370363.jpg
307KB, 877x1239px
Time to post FF4 grills.
>>
>>3581791
hey can you give me a list of FF girls who are warriors? Rosa and Rydia are clearly mage types; White mage and Summoner.

As for FFV, there was Faris who was a pirate, but that game has selectable job classes.

Does Celes count? She seems like more of a mage, and iirc anyone can equip just about anything. Even Terra has a sword in art, and she's definitely meant to be a mage.

In FFVII Tifa is technically, I think, a monk.

FFVIII apparently doesn't have any.

FFIX has Beatrix, who isn't a permanent pc.

In the end all I have are FFT characters; Agrias in particular.
>>
>>3581793
Prishe from FFXI (Best girl)
Ashe, Fran and Penelo FFXII
>>
>>3581794
Yeah but that's not retro :c
Also FFXII characters can have any job, though Fran gets a bow in art, and isn't very good overall stat wise. Ashe seems to be a proper defender with sword and shield set up, though.

Beyond that the only legit mainline FF female warrior seems to be Lightning.
>>
>>3581803
You never asked for retro doe, be more specific next time
>>
>>3581806
This is the retro board, you knobhead.
>>
>>3581814
Retro board for games yes, doesn't say anything about discussing girls from any future games in the franchise
>>
File: 1439488369450.jpg (67KB, 545x760px) Image search: [Google]
1439488369450.jpg
67KB, 545x760px
>>3581793
>hey can you give me a list of FF girls who are warriors

Honestly I can only think of one.

You gotta remember than FF4 and FF9 are the only games in the series where individual story-relevant playable characters have defined roles/skillsets. 6 was close to that distinction, because certain characters can only wear certain kinds of armor/weapons, so you have a roundabout idea of who the "warriors" are and who the "mages" are. And I'd argue that Terra is just supposed to be the godly overpowered character who kicks ass at every aspect of combat (which makes sense, considering her backstory) which is why she can wear the best armor/weapons in game, dishing out 9999 damage every time she sneezes in the general direction of a bad guy.

However... in 5, everyone can do everything. In 7, everyone can do everything. In 8, everyone can do everything. In 10, everyone can do everything. In 12, everyone can do everything. So you're not going to see too many "pure" mages or warriors in most of the games in the series.
>>
>>3581597
FF2 US is a joke, yes. Play the fantranslated version or the PS1 port - both of them get to the point where playing on autopilot will fuck you over unless you grind a lot.
>>
>>3581954
Just do PS1 port, as it was stated earlier, even FF4 SFC doesn't kick in with the difficulty until nearly 3/4 done.

Go with FF4 Complete if you want the prettiest version though.
>>
>>3581803
>:c
>emojis
>4chan
>>
>>3581973
my gf keeps doing that shit and it rubbed off on me
>>
>>3581973
>unironically being a member of the Muh 4Chan Culture Policeā„¢
>>
>>3582029
>Culture Police
I really hate the sound of that.
>>
I'm the Beer Police. You been drinking any today?
>>
>>3582045
That's a good thing. Don't be a part of it.
>>
>>3581597
>JRPG
>Challenging
you're playing the wrong genre, m8.
>>
>>3581806
It goes without saying you dumb faggot. See a doctor about your autism.
>>
>>3582069
You make it sound as if an RPG wasn't invented that was challenging for an adult with cognitive skills
>>
>>3582301
There are no challenging JRPGs. You can literally just google how to play all of them and immediately be good. There's no mechanical execution, reflex or muscle memory skill involved whatsoever.
>>
>>3582368
>You can literally just google how to play all of them and immediately be good
Livestream yourself playing Phantasy Star 4. You're allowed to use a guide.
>>
>>3582045
Do you prefer "Talibaby"?
>>
>>3581624
Isn't Chronicles just a straight port from the Japanese Super Famicom version?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
>>3582368
RPGs aren't balanced in challenge because of motor skills. They get their challenge from trial, systems understanding, and preparation. Some of RPGs are unforgiving if you don't allocate your efforts properly. SaGa Frontier II becomes outright unwinnable if you don't have the umpth and know-how to prepare for the final dungeon given your limited ability to grind.
>>
File: Rydia.jpg (100KB, 702x892px) Image search: [Google]
Rydia.jpg
100KB, 702x892px
>>3581791
Ridya? More like Ride Ya
>>
>>3582391
If reading a guide automatically makes you good at a game without having to practice or perform any meaningful execution, it's not a challenging game.
>>
>>3582405
Reading a guide gives you guidelines on where to go and in what order to do things. It does not suddenly give you the ability to perform as no guide can account for RNG, income, experience gained, skills sparked, etc etc.

More power to you bro but I doubt you have the ability to make the trek through SFII, guide or no.
>>
>>3582418
>no guide can account for RNG, income, experience gained, skills sparked
Guides account for this type of thing all the time, how fucking oblivious are you?
>>
>>3581597

I've only played the playstation anthology version and got stuck at around 18 hours in. Started over to grind more and got stuck at the same place again.

By "stuck" I mean I get suddenly and unexpectedly killed by a group of enemies I've beaten many times before, from a seeming random combo of attacks and bad luck.
>>
>>3581624
>What about the PS1 (FF Chronicles) version? Heard that one's hard as muh dik.

Right.. that should explain it then
>>3582463
>>
>>3582463
L1 + R1
>>
>>3582368
Then do not Google.
>>
>>3582069
>m8
Fuck off back to /int/ where you belong, foreign scum.
>>
File: rydia.jpg (123KB, 410x800px) Image search: [Google]
rydia.jpg
123KB, 410x800px
>>3582398
She's still probably my favorite vidya girl of all time.
>>
File: Rydia12.jpg (174KB, 764x600px) Image search: [Google]
Rydia12.jpg
174KB, 764x600px
>>3582773
Good taste. Possibly my first waifu way back in 1991. Rosa didn't even compare.
>>
File: fizzball.jpg (430KB, 1200x911px) Image search: [Google]
fizzball.jpg
430KB, 1200x911px
>>3581597
>How long does it take for the game to become challenging?
It doesn't. JRPGs have always been heavily commercialized, overly casual alternatives to WRPGs.
>>
>>3581597
US SNES version is easier, PS1/Japan version is harder, not sure about PSP version, 3DS version has artificial difficulty.
>>
File: 1452600099341.jpg (156KB, 700x900px) Image search: [Google]
1452600099341.jpg
156KB, 700x900px
>>3582851
Nobody likes Rosa.
>>
File: Rydia3.jpg (469KB, 848x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Rydia3.jpg
469KB, 848x1200px
>>3582931
Cecil went for the inferior choice
>>
I got to the last dungeon in the DS version and I was getting slaughtered so I just looked up where to grind for 10 levels. Lol, not going to waste my time. I think it was well-balanced up until that point though~
>>
>>3582405
If you have to run crying to a guide when you have to think then you obviously shouldn't be playing videogames until you're at least seven years old.
>>
>>3583248
>so I just looked up where to grind for 10 levels
lol what?
You must've had either a bad battle strategy and not using enemy weaknesses or absolutely terrible lack (back attack/surprise attack, 2 dragons).

I'll admit, I've had to warp out a few times or more on every playthrough due to some shit encounter luck so I can understand if that's happened to you.
>>
A little tip for people just playing FF4 now, especially DS version.

Before you fight the CPU boss, do not listen to FuSoYa's advice. If you do you're going to have a very bad time. Kill the attack node thingy first, leave the heal one alone, and it's all easy from there as long as your party does enough physical damage per turn.

Fuck you, FuSoYa.
>>
>>3581793
>Faris who was a pirate, but that game has selectable job classes.

But also different characters have different stat leanings, i.e. Bartz and Galuf lean towards fighting and Lenna/Cara are mages. Faris is a complete jack of all trades. Most people put her as a Thief/utility toolbox for what's needed. And there's obviously the Berserker fanart.
>>
>>3582931
I like her, made the love story very archetypical (big warrior protecting the healing lady), gave me feels.

Fanworks always portray Rosa as some massive harpy cuntfaggot but she's a very supportive character.

She's pretty too. White robes and all.
>>
>>3583312
Probably a bit of everything! Also it annoyed me that I had to sit through a long cutscene every time I wanted to try again?
>>
File: chess-600.jpg (33KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
chess-600.jpg
33KB, 600x315px
>>3583298
You're fucking stupid.

The best competitive chess players read every guide they can about chess. They even take classes, for fucks sake. Are you saying they shouldn't be playing chess until they turn 7, or that they have an inability to think?

JRPG tactics are fucking pleb tier.
>>
>>3583514
>Also it annoyed me that I had to sit through a long cutscene every time I wanted to try again?

You're Ron Burgundy?
>>
>>3583571
>m-muh chess!!!
stay triggered westacuck
>>
>>3583751
>muh cheese
>>
>>3583060
Cecil wasn't a pedo.
Wasn't she 8 when Cecil firebombed her town?
Wasn't she like 14 when she was found in the underground?
>>
>>3581793
In FF Mystic Quest both the playable girls are warriors

Though Phoebe becomes more mage like in the end and stops having a melee attack, because she gives you her cats claw but keeps her arrows

Kaeli meanwhile has 2.5 times your HP and wields an axe.

Meliadoul in FFT is also a warrior, she's an ex Templar who can break your equipment.

Rosa & Rydia can be warrior types via equipment that encourages strength but suppresses magic.
Rosa in particular seems like she would've been an archer focused class if she wasn't so devoted to Cecil

Yang has a daughter and Edge has a female subordinate in the After Years, even the dwarf daughter is playable.

FF9 also has that warrior axe wielding chick that was Amarants partner.

FUJIN. ALSO. I. THINK. FROM EIGHT
>>
File: 1445004349284.jpg (379KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
1445004349284.jpg
379KB, 1280x800px
>>3583514
You should not need to grind, even in the DS version.
You should be exploiting enemies status weakness, mostly by casting slow on everything, and giving people augments.

Having Cecil in the back row with draw attacks, counter and a sword with good status effects will quadruple your staying power.
Ancient Sword is good for the curse debuff, sleep sword works too.
Defender if you want the boost.

Only time to switch him around is for Doom Wall and the final boss.

By the end game you should have a Dual, Omni, Pierce casting Rosa who benefits from someone else using Bless.
Protect/Reflect will trivialize most end game challenges.

Slow everything
Slow everything
Slow everything
>>
PS for those looking for a good FFIV fix, there's a multiplayer version at byond://ffivproject.redirectme.net:8445

Yes, it runs on BYOND but it's pretty damn well made. It essentially has a gutted story suited for multiplayer, there's a bunch of extra content and a ton of classes. Try it out, you might like it, who knows.
>>
>>3581597
From my experience the PSP remake of the game is the best for difficulty, it's never too unfair to the point where you have to grind for hours on end. The music and graphics are also superb. But to answer your question I feel that the game gets hard once you reach a certain cave where you can't use any metal equipment. But that's just me
>>
>>3584875
14 is marrying age in that kind of medieval world
>>
>>3585337
I had to help my friend's brother years ago because was 8 and couldn't figure out that he had to use all crappy wood items so he was fucked every battle.
>>
>>3585349
Honestly, even through the game tells you not to use metal equipment. During the boss fight I would equip Cecil full of metal stuff just for defense so I could heal the party. Looking back, I was an idiot when I played the game
>>
>>3581597
>Playing the SNES version if that makes a difference.
Are you playing the US version? Coz that's actually FF4 Easy Type. It's the watered down easy version not the original one.
>>
>>3584983
Is the after years worth it? I always enjoyed IV.
>>
>>3585343
legal pedophilia is still pedophilia.
>>
>>3585570
It's basically a big love letter to FF4.
if you think of it as a loving parody and not as FF4-2 you may enjoy it more
>>
>>3581793
Even though she counts as a mage too, Celes still counts. Only 4 characters could equip swords and she was one.
>>
>>3585726
14 is too old for pedophiles
>>
>>3586196
That's why ephebophilia is a word.
>>
I ended up getting Project II which is a translation hack for FF4. It seems they made a few gameplay adjustments, balancing spells that were originally useless, which I'm iffy about them changing but this seemed like the best translation available.

Replayed to where I was before and enjoying the game much more. Beginning areas are still easy but are about what I'd expect, and aren't boring/insultingly easy like before.

Thanks for the help everyone.
>>
Basically all of FFIV pre-Paladain Cecil is tuned around a solo DK Cecil who should be spamming DarkWave at anything who so much as looks at them wrong while everyone else keeps his HP up, unless you find some Undead. Shit goes much faster that way.
>>
I liked the DS version. It's pretty damn good once you mute the voice acting.
>>
>>3583060
Weren't Cecil and Rosa basically engaged before the game started?
>>
>>3586643
There is a secondary work derived from Project II called Namingway Edition. That seems to try and restore everything back to the Japanese FFIV. I've tried it before and I prefer it myself. But to each his own.
>>
>>3586837
>It's pretty damn good once you mute the voice acting.
Just download the Undub
>>
>>3585764
It cant even be called a love letter either, it treated most the characters either as jokes or as non entities. Even the main villain's plan is literally "Yeah this shit sucks and im deleting it".
>>
>>3586837
>Muting the voice acting
Some of it is good in a corny way doe
https://youtu.be/z-0a7a_fG-g?t=5m3s
>Then let me show you, HOW WRONG YOU ARE
>>
>>3587091
>Just download the Undub
Or I can mute the voice acting.
>>
>>3586837
I absolutely hate voice acting 99% of the time and FF4DS is one of the few games where I'm never grated by it.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.