[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hand-held emulator devices?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: nvidia-shield-1358271605-910.png (530KB, 1020x904px) Image search: [Google]
nvidia-shield-1358271605-910.png
530KB, 1020x904px
I have a 3ds xl currently but I would rather get a device that would let me put emulators on it without having to hack it.

So far I've been looking at the Nvidia shield primarily but looked at a few other android gaming tablets or devices. I was impressed by the nvidia shield for being a full controller which I like while also being able to run emulators up to the gamecube and possibly wii generation. Unfortunately it's been discontinued and I'm guessing there's not much out there on the market that can compete with it. I heard rumors there might be a second generation coming out in november or december but nothing has really been confirmed yet.

Are there any other options I don't know about? Also I wasn't sure if I should post this in games or inspect your gadget so if I need to move it it'll be fine.
>>
>i have something great, but fuck it. come with me down the bad decisions rabbit hole
man fuck off and do your thinking by yourself, faggot.
>>
>>3580915
I own both the Nvidia Shield Portable and Tablet (non K1) and would say if you want a system just to play emulation or Android games and nothing else, then they're a fine handheld or tablet. Just remember, they're either discontinued (portable) or still selling it as of now if you go to the tablet. Hell, if you like the Nvidia Shield stuff, I would go get the tablet K1 as it will be around $200 right now or less new and with a controller, it's a nice portable emulation tablet. Also, the used market for the portable is a bit too high and you better spend it on the tablet with what they're asking for.

Still, if you already own a Android phone which have a decent specs today, just get a Bluetooth controller and you should be okay and much more cheaper. The rumor of Nvidia is going to make a 2nd gen portable isn't going to happen as they're putting their efforts right now on the new Nintendo hardware. I think this is the same for the tablet.

For new handheld to look at, the Chinese GDP handheld is something to look at but at the price they're asking for, I will wait and see impression about it for the people who buy it.
>>
>>3580915
the nvidia shield portable is objectively the best handheld emulation device, bar none
>>
>>3580915
I own a Shield Portable as well and it's a thing of beauty. Really wish I could install LAKKA into this thing though.
>>
File: everdrive-gba-x5.jpg (35KB, 458x458px) Image search: [Google]
everdrive-gba-x5.jpg
35KB, 458x458px
>>3580915
>I would rather get a device that would let me put emulators on it without having to hack it.
>>
>>3581150
>>3581150
>Tablet (non K1)
think thats the only model?
>>
>>3580915
Picrelated is GPD WIN.
It is x86 meaning latest emulators. Plays everything up to and including GameCube and some Wii. Has active cooling and can sustain burst speed inefinitely, while having better battery life time then Shield.

Also plays Skyrim.
>>
>>3582178
Big question about this, what happens when you shut it? The nice thing about the Android GPD is, lile a ds, you can shut it and come right back to the game when it opens. Does this go into sleep mode or just turn the display/sound off or what?
>>
>>3582178
Sick league picture man, I wish I could still play Season 3.
>>
>>3582163
Nope, they is two model.
Shield Tablet
Shield Tablet K1

The main difference is the K1 is a cost reduce tablet over the older model with few stuff have taken out from it. Also, the K1 is a 16gb only while the older model have either 16gb or 32gb if you go with the 4G LTE version (which is the one I own).

Unfortunately, the older model have an overheating battery issues that posed a fire hazard so, Nvidia issued a recall to replace Shield Tablet devices. I was lucky as I got mine use and go though the recall process and now have two shield tablet but still using the original one with the battery issue till it break down or the battery life become useless which is slowly happening right now on mine.

>>3582112
This is another path you can go to but only work if you want to play only one console or handheld you like. If you're doing this for many handheld and console system, then the cost will be too high and would just look into the used market of the Shield Portable by now for cost saving or get a brand new shield tablet with the controller for it.

>>3582178
This is something I am interested but at the sale price of $499 USD, that is a lot to take in for this new handheld system. Thankfully, it's on sale on geekbuying for $330 USD but still, it might be better for the consumer to wait for another 4-6 months to see new software or improvement they did for this handheld. Have keep an eye on it for a while during the development.
>>
>>3582193
Sleep mode by default, but you can set it up in any way you want in the windows settings. It is basically an ultra miniature netbook after all.

>>3582239
$330 on most resellers who still have preordered units. I believe AliExpress has an official GPD vendor with same price.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/GPD-WIN-/32749738566.html
>>
>>3580915
Are you from reddit? Get a N3DS or a Vita you fool.
>>
>>3582112
>Hand-held
>>
>>3582178
I would buy one if it actually could run kof xiii at full speed instead of ~50fps
>>
>>3582112
Or get an ez for half the price
>>
>>3584948
Where can you get an ED for $2? I have a box full of EZ and other stuff I got for a buck.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.