[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Turok 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Can I just say something? The death animations in this game. So. Fucking. Satisfying. Why don't more modern games implement graphic scripted death animations like this? It's way better than ragdoll or any of the other crap they use. Feels super real and visceral despite being scripted. Hate to be the guy to complain about

>muh call of dooties

but seriously....are modern devs really that lazy?
>>
File: lJ6abdU[1].gif (1MB, 400x214px) Image search: [Google]
lJ6abdU[1].gif
1MB, 400x214px
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC6gS5j4__0

this video focuses a little too much on the cerebral bore, but you get the idea
>>
>>3579571
You can have both canned death animations and ragdolls in games, dude. And I personally dislike canned death animations and vastly prefer ragdolls. After you've seen all the canned death animations it starts to become boring and often vidya games don't bother having many canned death animations either.
>>
>>3579614

to me ragdoll just seems silly and ruins the immersion most of the time. unless done very well and partly combined with scripted movement, it really takes me out of the game. non-retro example here but take max payne 1 vs max payne 2, the deaths in 2 just ended up looking goofy for such a gritty game.
>>
>>3579629
Max Payne 2's ragdolls add a lot to the replay value of levels. I can't tell you how many times I stopped just to assess the chaos I created in MP2

Max Payne 2 is just a better game than MP1
>>
>>3579635

agree to disagree. the important point is that so few devs these days take the time to do anything beyond a simple ragdoll or falldown animation. no gore, no dismemberment, no death throes, nothing. hopefully the new doom will start a positive trend and we'll start to see cool deaths in FPS again.
>>
>>3579652
Check out Shadow Warrior 2. It's good for 1-time run, and have good visual feedback in terms of gore and dismemberment. It uses procedural dismember (sort of like MetalGear Rising, but better), especially satisfying when you use a chainsaw which directions you can control and slice off uneven pieces off of monsters.
>>
>>3579571
Scripted deaths wouldn't work with today's games. It would look awful. It worked back then because the graphics weren't as advanced then. The games also had more artistic direction in their design where as games today tend to lean too much towards more boring realism.

One of the only recent FPS games that I can think of that does scripted deaths well were the Killzone games.
>>
>>3579764
>lean too much towards more boring realism.
God ain't that the truth. And the ones that do go for anything slightly fiction fuck up anatomy so hard that the only thing that's worse is when the designer flat out sucks.
>>
>>3579774
It's also pretty ironic how they go for the ultra realism for so many games yet they also have the funny looking ragdoll animations that are far from realistic.

As I said in my previous post about Killzone, it is one of the few modern games that I think does death animations really well. You can't just kick the bodies like they are soccer balls after they fall down like in so many modern games. Gears of War also has great gore but still has those ragdolls that are so overdone now.
>>
>>3579571
Turok 2 has my favourite animations in any video game ever, my personal favourites are the decapitated raptor and blowing a hole In the chest of the big ape things in the death marshes
>>
>>3579764
Plenty of games today have scripted deaths. Even Call of Duty does with an animation playing before switching to a ragdoll and it looks way more fluid and natural than an instant ragdoll like Source games.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.