[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Super Mario Bros 2 JP the quality as most romhacks, or is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: lostlevels.png (15KB, 508x446px) Image search: [Google]
lostlevels.png
15KB, 508x446px
Is Super Mario Bros 2 JP the quality as most romhacks, or is it genuinely well designed?
>>
>>3579034
I haven't actually played many SMB1 romhacks, is there a standard you had in mind OP?

I thought SMB2J was good, challenging but good.
>>
Given all those fucking hidden blocks, it actually feels to me like some joke romhack.

8-3 stills triggers me.
>>
>>3579034

the latter. 10/10 stage design
>>
>>3579039

>that one hidden block directly above the hammer bros.

i found it dickish but funny at the same time. its easy to avoid on subsequent playthroughts though
>>
>>3579043
I remember getting really mad over that block.

But in all fairness, there are some pretty great, and difficult, levels as well. Like 7-3, forcing you to time your jumps on the springs just right.

Anyway OP, you should play it, well designed or not.
>>
It has some great stages, and some horrible (mostly at the end, with some really cheap traps).
I'm conflicted about this game.
>>
It's romhack tier. Only the greasiest of Hipsters like it.

There's a reason Super Mario All Stars lets you restart from the beginning of any level instead of any world like all the other games.

Even Miyamoto himself thinks the game was a mistake, and looks to SMB2 USA as the true sequel.
>>
>>3579094
I'm glad we got SMB2 we did. It really rounds out the diversity of gameplay between the first three games. Each one offers a completely different experience and I like that.

I don't remember playing Lost Levels all that much on All Stars as a kid. Though, I played a shit ton of the other games.
>>
File: world8.png (13KB, 511x449px) Image search: [Google]
world8.png
13KB, 511x449px
Was playing world 8 and didn't know the game had these grey hills, or white bushes. Aesthetically it's an interesting deviation from the original. I also like the mushroom platforms.
>>
It's delicious when it comes to its secrets, some of the warps and even mushrooms are crazy well hidden. The game really has a sense of mystery to it.
>>
It's genuinely well-designed in that it's intentionally designed to completely subvert your expectations of Mario.
>>
>>3579094

hello /v/
>>
>>3579034
A lot of it is pretty decent. I think it needs like 5 lives to balance it out because some of the leaps of faith seriously depend on the timing of the stage (like landing on a low paratrooper).
>>
>>3579034
It's decent.

Except for that one firebar in the final castle situated in a ditch.

You know the one.

That was not fair at all whatsoever.
>>
>>3579841

you can stand in a corner in the pit and the fire won't hit you. nothing more than casual bait
>>
File: autumn.png (16KB, 510x446px) Image search: [Google]
autumn.png
16KB, 510x446px
more different coloration. this game looks pretty cool, compared to the 1st one
>>
>>3579945

That. Also, it actually IS possible to simply run through it really quickly, if you time it JUST right.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.