[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best way to play Rondo of Blood on my PC? I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

File: rondo of blood.jpg (85KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
rondo of blood.jpg
85KB, 1024x768px
What is the best way to play Rondo of Blood on my PC? I don't know which version I should play, with all these ports / remakes.
>>
>>3575491
play the port on snes, the music and graphics are much better in it
>>
>>3575491

For the love of god, do not do this: >>3575535

Emulate the original PC Engine CD game. The PC Engine mednafen core in Retroarch works perfectly, though you'll have to find a pretty good rip of the game in order for it to work.
>>
>>3575535
Nice meme.
>>
>>3575617
Preferring the superior SNES Dracula X is a meme now? News to me.
>>
>>3575619
>Preferring the censored SNES Dracula X with missing characters and a retarded Dracula fight is a meme now?

Yes
>>
>>3575535
Why people call the dracula x, a rondo port?

It's a completely different game.

It's as much as a port, as super castlevania to the original.
>>
>>3575638
>censored
[citation needed]

>missing characters
Maria mode is for scrubs.

>retarded Dracula fight
lol git gud kid
>>
>>3575491
Play the pc engine version in retroarch.
>>
Whatever you do, stay far away from the SNES version.
>>
>>3575535
5 star b8.

>>3575491
Mednafen core, RetroArch.
>>
>>3575491

Emulate the Nintendo Virtual Console release on Dolphin
>>
File: Untitled.png (14KB, 428x269px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
14KB, 428x269px
I got this from /v/ a few years ago, works on windows
>>
>>3575491
Here's the translated stand-alone emulator version. It has the CD audio and all that jazz.

https://mega.nz/#!MIZXkS7K!6Tcv2R_YkH7JvsGo5yLANuYzGdy-AzUg4v2oEu4vL_w
>>
There's a terrible looking website called Vizzed that I like to use for a lot of emulation. You create an account and download a plugin and then you can emulate whatever you want without downloading roms or emulators. Almost anything there can be run through Mednafen in the browser and stuff is just easy to use and runs well. Anyway, you could play the original Rondo that way. Also it's all legal if that matters.
>>
>>3575549
>Emulate the original PC Engine CD game.
This, definitely.
>>
>>3579448
ISO or Patch?
>>
Step 1: Play the PC Engine version, it is the original

Step 2: Play the PSP remake, it's very well done and has a couple extra levels and new final boss fight

Step 3: Play the SNES version that is not a port but a new game inspired by RoB. It's a good game in its own right and you can see all the differences after you've played the original
>>
>>3581940
There's no reason to play RoB, when Dracula X on SNES is better in every aspect.
>>
>>3581940
The PSP remake has the PC Engine version built into it along with SOTN.
>>
>>3582241
That final boss fight is horseshit. The sound is horseshit.
>>
File: rondo.jpg (195KB, 840x912px) Image search: [Google]
rondo.jpg
195KB, 840x912px
pc engine game is superior, snes dracula X is better than super castlevania but still sucks in comparison.
>>
>>3582292
Nice meme opinion.

Super IV > Chronicles > Haunted Castle > SNES X > Bloodlines > PCE X
>>
>>3582302
Why would anybody prefer SNES X over PCE X.
>Nice meme opinion
I can see why you put Super IV so high on your list
>>
>>3582292

If you were a real Castlevania fan, you wouldn't waste your time arguing about "superior" and "sucks". You would enjoy both, in fact if you were a big fan of Rondo, you'd love Dracula X because it's like a harder sequel with new levels and bosses.
>>
>>3582309
Not that anon but what does being a "real" fan have to do with anything. Unless you're advocating blind fanboyism, people will have an opinion on entries into the series and have a most and least preferred that's just a matter of opinion.

I mean. I sure as shit don't love every Castlevania equally and I marathon the non-metroidvania ones excluding CoD and LoI because they can be done in two days a piece every October.
>>
>>3582328

I mean that some people just use Castlevania as a way to pose as "hardcore" or "elite" gamers or whatever. I don't know why, but Castlevania series suffers from that. I guess it's because it's such a good series and it's famous for being challenging.
>>
Anyone who tries to argue that CVX is a port or "version" of Rondo is just plain retarded. They're two different Richtorvania games, both with their own pros and cons. Play both honestly. If you enjoy Rondo, chances are you'll enjoy X too. Anyone who play this "Only one game can be good" is an idiot who is trying to treat them as the same entity, which they just plain aren't.
>>
File: DX_Ghost.jpg (19KB, 202x232px) Image search: [Google]
DX_Ghost.jpg
19KB, 202x232px
>>3582304
More interesting level design (Rondo is mostly flat hallways), all the boss fights are good instead of just some of them like Rondo, the music composition is much better on SNES with some of the best sampled instruments the system has to offer, aesthetics that far surpass Rondo's awful copypasted bricks...

The only thing lacking about XX is the missing enemies, but everything else about the game improves over RoB.
>>
File: skeletonz.jpg (433KB, 1538x853px) Image search: [Google]
skeletonz.jpg
433KB, 1538x853px
>>3582337
>guess it's because it's such a good series and it's famous for being challenging.
Dracula x for pc engine embodies everything great about the series : challenging, interesting, non-linear, unlockable characters, great soundtrack and innovative gameplay elements (boss death rattles, item crash). Cutscenes are a bonus and not enjoyed by everyone, but every pc engine cd game had them so it's more a staple of the system than the series. The fact that dracula X (and symphony of the night) borrowed sprites and sound effects is a testament to that.
>>
>>3582382
>Dracula x for pc engine embodies everything great about the series

Eh... it's a solid entry but vastly overrated compared to others in the series.

>challenging

Rondo is probably the easiest Castlevania, along with IV and Bloodlines. To me, it's actually the easiest one.

>interesting

Yeah, all Castlevanias are interesting, wonderful, supreme.

>non-linear

This isn't a deciding factor, most classicvania are linear.
Also Dracula X SNES also is non-linear.

>unlockable characters

Just one.

>great soundtrack

Again I think we can say this about all CV games.

>innovative gameplay elements

I could play the anal hardcore purist and go "but item crash casualised the series!" but nah I agree, I like the gameplay improvements. However, it still doesn't make it the best one.
>>
>>3582382
I still find Castlevania III to embody everything great about the series for the same reasons you listed.

More characters. Non linear. Soundtrack that essentially established the standard with songs that were remixed well into the end of the series lifespan. Challenging, as in actually challenging because Rondo is easy as fuck. And as much as I like Item Crash it provided a solution to a problem that isn't hard in the first place (as in the entire game).

I won't argue that Rondo looks better, I'm simply showing you how that pesky opinion thing works.
>>
>>3582392
so we have two memes in one thread:
>Le rondo is a meme
>le dracula x is a meme
so can we all just agree that castlevania 3 is the best? it's got everything and it is also brutally hard...
>>
>>3582407

I never said Rondo is a meme. it's a great game, just a bit overrated due to having the "japan-only holy grail" status for so long. Nowadays people can emulate it easily, or play it on Wii or PSP, but the effect still remains.
>>
>>3582407
>brutally hard
No it isn't.
>>
>>3582415
Not that anon but what about it makes it not the hardest entry in the series? I've never heard somebody form a contrarian opinion on that before.
>>
>>3575617
>>3582302
>>3582412
meme alert boys
>>
>>3582421
Alucard and Grant break the game. Even if you play as Belmont solo, the game is a breeze as long as you stay on the upper routes.

Hardest Castlevanias are actually X68000 and Haunted Castle.
>>
>>3582446
This anon isn't me (>>3582415) but he's largely right.Game just isn't that hard. Honestly the fact that it has infinite continues also makes it to where it isn't that difficult.
>>
>>3582261
Yeah but who wants to play on that tiny screen when you could play on a real TV?
>>
>>3582780

there's a cable to connect the psp to a tv, but yeah it's mainly if you want to play on the go (I love playing 'vania on the shitter myself)
>>
>>3582845
>there's a cable to connect the psp to a tv

Explain.
>>
>>3582940
1st psp revision(not the go) included a TV out port
>>
>>3582302
PCE X > Bloodlines > Super IV = SNES X > Haunted Castle
>>
>>3575665
>[citation needed]
I'm going to assume the brief blood splatter that's in the original is removed in the SNES version
>>
>>3582446
>Haunted Castle
????

There's what? In stage 2 some r-type levels of bullshit the first time you enter and then never again.
All of the time stop you'll be doing to 3 to completely bend this game over the knee with 2 heart freezes. Bosses that you can literally trade hits with at full health and come out on top never you mind the boss killer that is this games iteration of the boomerang. And the Man himself,who is so easily fucked up that he will never hit a player who's beaten him once and has the right sub weapon.

I'll give you x68000 in the way that I'll give a person Super R-Type over R-Type II. Anyways,

>>3582563
Just because two(?) games are harder does not mean that it is not harder than SNES X. Because it is.
>>
>>3583559
There's a couple different versions of Haunted Castle, with one difference being how much damage you take. I think in the extreme one you can die in about 2-3 hits, and there's limited continues. There's limited in the other version too but it's more lenient with the damage. I ended up beating the pussy version and that was still one of the hardest things I've ever done when it comes to games.
>>
>>3584184
Let me help you out

>>3582407

The object of the conversation was Castlevania III
>>
>>3582382
>borrowed sprites and sound effects is a testament to that.
Well, not really. It could also be a testament to laziness and not wanting to do better original sprites, or just a testament to efficiency in that the sprites could save time to spend on other parts of the project. It really doesn't say any one specific thing about it.
Otherwise you'd have people arguing that all the palette shifted enemies in games like FF are simply a testament to how good those sprites are rather than a cheap shortcut to make two or more different enemies with one resource by simply recoloring them and giving them different stats.
>>
File: sotn_lib.jpg (28KB, 350x284px) Image search: [Google]
sotn_lib.jpg
28KB, 350x284px
>>3584479

SOTN also reused sprites from IV (a bit recolored but basically the same).

It wasn't uncommon for some game series to do that, look at Megaman.

The original NES trilogy also shared spritework.
>>
>>3584490
Easiest because it saves on resources and of course coding. As you mentioned they only needed to palette swapping.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.