[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In case you're wondering... totally worth it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_1212.jpg (238KB, 1106x1474px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1212.jpg
238KB, 1106x1474px
In case you're wondering...

totally worth it
>>
>>3573356
But muh physical collection
>>
>>3573356
lol, is the label starting to peel already? May as well waited because these will be bargain bin in a year or two. You should have bought a copy of X3 for that money. At least you would have a return in a couple years and something valuable.
>>
>LCD, sd "emulation", Autism angle....
op confirmed faggot
>>
I have like 11 snes games, and those alone are worth probably 300-400 if I sold them. Seriously considering just selling them and going the SD2SNES way. Megaman X2, Megaman X3, EVO, Chrono Trigger, and more. These snes prices are insane.
>>
>>3573490
That's what I did. Made over ten grand and paid off my college loans with my eBay moneys plus work income. Also bought flash carts so I don't miss a thing, and my room is sexier with all this space freed up from getting rid of the bookcase of games.
>>
>>3573490
Don't do it. You will feel terrible 5 years from now when you see how much more they're worth while SD2SNES sells for $50. But you only have 11 games so it's not like you have a real collection anyways. Maybe it's time to let someone finally appreciate those games.
>>
>>3573501
Yeah I keep telling myself that. It's just, I want more of them, but they have just gotten so out of hand in terms of price. Megaman X2, Megaman X3, EVO, Chrono Trigger, and more I want are just so expensive now.
>>
>>3573495
damn u must've had a shit ton of expensive games
i'm currently trying to sell off my ps2 stuff but i can't even give it away
i guess the general public has the same taste as /vr/
>>
>>3573416
yea OP
get a fucking /vr/ approved TV at least if ur going to all this trouble
>>
>>3573516
This was a few years before the recent boom too. I only sold Mega Man X3 for $70 and Misadventures of Tron Bonne for $200. I just had a shit ton of games.
>>
>>3573516
There's too many ps2 games overall. You can go to any pawnshop and find what you want for just a couple bucks most of the time.

>>3573514
Just put some money aside and keep checking on craigslist. I see people posting good bundles all the time. Check on the electronics section too because older people tend to put their kids games in there not knowing what they're worth.
>>
>>3573529
>Check electonrics section

HOLY SHIT I JUST DID AND THERE IS AN N64 BUNDLE THERE WITH CONKER.
>>
Anyone else delete the tags at the end of their roms? It really bugs me I just want the goddamn game name.
>>
>>3573356
>worth it
Not it wasn't. You either paid $200+ for an original or $100 for a chink version with ancient firmware. Either way you paid too much for what it does.

>>3573514
Then listen to yourself. If you want to play Megaman learn how to read START in English and play Rockman. For the other two learn to solder $2 chips into $5 carts or pay someone to do to for you.
>>
>>3573356
Flash carts are pretty much the best way to play retro games, especially if you weren't a fucking rich kid with 200 games growing up like some of these people are. I had fucking 3 SNES carts as a kid and I would never have gotten to play most of the awesome games from around that time if I hadn't gotten a flashcart.
>>
File: 1477015750124.jpg (388KB, 1105x1474px) Image search: [Google]
1477015750124.jpg
388KB, 1105x1474px
>>3573416
>Autism angle
It's the Ninja Gaiden angle friend :^)
>>
>>3573723
I do. I have a script to extract a single set of unique games from a full set and another to clean up file names. Also scripts for cropping file names to a max length while preserving as much useful detail as possible for custom file systems. It's not like having a few GB of renamed ROMs laying around is an issue these days.
>>
>>3573416
>SD emulation
>emulation
Are you retarded?
>>
>>3573952
Mind uploading that somewhere friendo?
>>
>>3573490
This is what I did. Dracula X alone got more than enough to pay for the flashcart. Now I play every game including translated imports on my system. Totally worth it.
>>
Are there any worthwhile games that aren't compatible with the sd2snes?
>>
>>3574287
The big games you can't play are Starfox(+2), Yoshi's Island, SMRPG, and kirby super star.
>>
File: 1444841729685.png (183KB, 304x271px) Image search: [Google]
1444841729685.png
183KB, 304x271px
>mfw that incompatibility list
>SuperFX games are STILL unplayable
At $200, that list should be almost blank, what's the fucking deal?
>>
>>3574345
it's kind of an odd thing. sd2snes plays tons of romhacks and has extra features like code hooks for stuff like adding save states. but it's not compatible with many retail games because of special chips.

and then there's ED64, which is 100% compatible with every single retail game. every region, revision, betas, kiosk demos, you can play all that shit. but you wanna play a romhack on it? can't do it, because they're all designed for emulator.
>>
>>3574384
>but you wanna play a romhack on it? can't do it, because they're all designed for emulator.

This is why accurate emulation is important
>>
>>3574154
#!/usr/bin/perl
$src_dir=$ARGV[0]||'//NAS-D1/VG/ROMS/SNES/';
$dest_dir=$ARGV[1]||'/home/user/NEW_ROM/SNES/';
opendir DIR, $src_dir or die "bad src dir";
my @myfiles= readdir DIR;
closedir DIR;
chomp @myfiles;
foreach (@myfiles){
next if m/^\.\.?$/;
$orig=$_;
s/\[.*?\]//g;
s/\(.*?\)//g;
s/,\s?the//gi;
s/'//g;
s/\s{2,}/ /g;
s/\s*\././g;
print "$orig => $_\n";
$orig =~ s/((?:^|[^\\])(?:\\\\)*)'/$1'\\''/g;
`cp '$src_dir$orig' '$dest_dir$_'`;
}
>>
Not worth getting the sd2 snes. Better to get a cheaper flash cart because fx chip and others will never work. Just get a cheaper flash cart, I got snes power pak. You can just buy the games that dont work really cheap.
>>
>>3574419
well, it really just increases the memory from 4mb to 8 so that more objects can be on screen and at further distances. it made the hacks better during a time when playing roms on hardware wasn't a thing.
>>
>>3574435

I wish it would become a thing already, it really seems like romhack devs by and large have no interest in actual hardware.
>>
I've gone a step further than op. I bought a mega everdrive and a modded Wii. Compared the two, and then decided I liked the Wii better than the original Genesis due to thinks like native component out and no jail bars. Now my wii is hooked up to my main crt and is replacing all of my pre ps1 consoles. I've sold a lot of my snes games that I bought before the bubble too, like x2 and pocky and rocky. Feels good
>>
>>3574316
Is that all? I'm not really interested in playing any of those games, anyways.
>>
File: 1472996791599.jpg (47KB, 564x400px) Image search: [Google]
1472996791599.jpg
47KB, 564x400px
>>3573356
>.smc
>>
>>3573412
>buying retro vidya is an investment
Top lel. The bubble will pop when people lose interest. Anything else is just a pipe dream.
>>
>>3574704
5 years ago people were saying this
its just simply not going to happen
>>
>>3574663
it's not all but those are the major releases. all FX and SA-1 games are unsupported.

>>3574657
you can get component out of a genesis with a couple of methods. my model 2 has no jailbars when using csync nor when using the hd retrovision cable. I'm a little surprised you prefer the wii emulator
>>
>>3574713

Yeah, I didn't think it would replace my Sega Genny either. I have played games for SNES nes and genesis purposly looking for a reason to stick with the old original hardware but the ol Wii is golden
>>
>>3574713
>I'm a little surprised you prefer the wii emulator
Honestly, I've had a better experience using the wii's genesis emulator than Kega Fusion on my computer.

I've replayed most of my childhood games on it and I couldn't see or hear a flaw.
>>
File: 1462167187791-v.png (275KB, 498x560px) Image search: [Google]
1462167187791-v.png
275KB, 498x560px
>collectorfags mad SD card emulation is cutting into their scalping money
>>
>>3574737
yeah, look at how far the prices on games have gone down the last few years, I'm really furious about it
>>
>>3573490
I thought X2 and X3 didn't work on flashcarts, do they? Few others as well, like Mario RPG and one of the Kirby games.

The moment they do, I'm sold.
>>
>>3574743
X2 and X3 both work on SD2SNES because it has the CX4 coprocessor for those crazy wireframe animations. The firmware update last month fixed the clock speed so it's now accurate to the cart. This is one of the few things that something like Super Everdrive doesn't have. The others you mentioned use SA1 and do not work on any flash cart.
>>
>>3573356
nice. now get yourself the smokemonster rom pack and delete your smc files

it's mostly no-intro, but nicely sorted by region/revision, plus romhacks and homebrew
>>
>>3574704
>buying retro vidya is an investment
>he invested $200 into a flashcart that will be worth $50 in 5 years instead of actually getting a real collectible game

Hate to burst your bubble pal but that bubble isn't going to pop. And as less and less copies become available they will just keep going up. Not surprised an uneducated fuck like yourself can't comprehend something so simple. And besides, you must be a poorfag loser if you don't want a massive collection + a flashcart. Do you live in a section 8 apartment subsidized by the government?
>>
>>3574636
blame SNES emulators being ridiculously poor for years and then romhacking tools in the SNES scene making shit that doesn't work on hardware
and then read this thread and realize that everyone in the SMW scene is utterly retarded beyond any hope
https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=59529&page=6

for example, in Genesis game romhacking scenes, there's been a fair bit more emphasis on making sure shit works on hardware
>>
>>3574962
uh, weren't we talking about n64? snes has a ton of good romhacks that work on hardware, n64 has two.
>>
>>3573356

OP here.

Firstly, thanks for the advice on the Smokemonster rom pack.

Secondly, I have no idea what these people are talking about WRT chip support:

>Enhancement chip support (see below for implementation status)
BS-X memory map / Satellaview base unit registers (clock)
DSP1 / 1b
DSP2
DSP3
DSP4
ST-010
Cx4
MSU1 (Each supported enhancement chip can be used in conjunction with MSU1.)
S-RTC
SuperCIC key (SNES CIC clone):
enables operation on unmodified consoles of all regions
supports software 50/60Hz switching on SuperCIC enhanced consoles only (to be performed by sd2snes firmware, not yet implemented there)

As for the folks talking about "investing," please go take $200 and try to go buy 700+ En and JP SNES games......you can't....

Then in 5 years, try to find a buyer willing to pay what you THINK they're worth...good luck....best case scenario you make a few hundred dollars....
>>
>>3575061
Also, i know my downstairs tv is shit. CRT is upstairs.

Also it was sunny as shit, but i couldn't wait to share my joy over this thing working right out of the box. Read some horror stories.

Well worth the initial investment IMO!
>>
>>3575061
I'm not sure what your question is. The snes allowed for cartridges to have additional processors on them, and rom dumps require these to be present in hardware or through emulation in order to run properly or at all. Those are some of those chips you listed. Most are for enhanced audio or graphics like polygon rendering. This is why snes flash carts are more of a challenge than say NES or genesis, and why you can now get a decent Krikzz genesis cart supporting all games for $50.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_NES_enhancement_chips#List_of_Super_NES_games_that_use_enhancement_chips

MSU1 is different though, it's not something any game used. Byuu designed it to allow romhacks and homebrew games to stream CD-quality audio and FMV from the game files either through higan or through SD2SNES. It's functionally a SNES-CD without the load times. Check your SD card's access time through the sd2snes menu sometime, you want it to be around 1-2ms.
>>
>>3574704
Keep telling yourself that kiddo.

>>3574737
Keep telling yourself that kiddo.
>>
>>3573356
Get a proper screen you fool.
>>
>>3574148
Flat panels cannot display SD, they stretch it up to full screen size and then apply a blur. It's all done in hardware. They are effectively emulating SD.
>>
>>3573514
>Megaman X2, Megaman X3
Rockman X2 and X3 are much cheaper, play exactly the same, and don't need any knowledge of Japanese.

>Chrono Trigger
There's an objectively better version of the game on the DS that only runs for around $20.
>>
>>3574384
That's because the N64 doesn't have any games with special hardware on the cart (except a few with like, RTC).
The reason the romhacks don't work is because Nintendo 64 emulation is fucking attrocious so these romhacks were made to do things the emulator does but not the hardware.

This is a really shitty comparison.
Want SuperFX support? Code it yourself. the SD2SNES firmware is open source.
>>
haha you spent money on something I can do for free
>>
>>3575373
from a standpoint of anons wanting to buy flash carts, the comparison is worthwhile, I think. now that I think of it, nobody asked, lol. I think it's interesting that you have all these options available with sd2snes romhacking (like adding button conditionals for save states and being able to place those inside the SRAM for later use), but a completely different set of limitations with ed64.
>>
>>3574859
I hate people like you on this board.
>>
>>3575360
>being too young to remember SD flat panels
I guess they're probably so old that it doesn't mean you must be underage but it sure does mean you must be retarded.

>>3575407
Yesh. It's totally his fault your a poorfag and you're right to hate him for it. kek.
>>
>>3575057
whoops, my mistake

N64 is a similar situation, but even worse -- emulation is far less accurate and much more forgiving (namely, emulators will generally keep running a game long past the point where the N64 itself will have crashed in an error situation), so it's very, very, very easy to make hacks that don't work on hardware if the dev is only able to test in emulator.

>>3574732
Genesis Plus GX or the actual VC emulator?
like Genesis Plus GX is brilliant -- not 100% utterly perfect of course, but it's actually outright better than Fusion (which has a few cosmetic issues that don't affect timings/memory and is known to be a bit lenient with code that would crash a proper 68k)
haven't actually used the Wii's VC for the Genesis
>>
>>3575668
Genesis Plus GX

I only have Sonic 1 on the VC. Some sound effects don't sound right. Not game breaking or irritating, just annoying if you grew up with the real thing.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.