[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bullet Hell General NO SHITPOSTING EDITION.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 16

File: tumblr_nhr95wk9Fe1rkg34zo1_500.jpg (84KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nhr95wk9Fe1rkg34zo1_500.jpg
84KB, 500x667px
New to shmups 30-40 coins per playtrough kind of new.

What is your opinion on them?
Priorities on the battlefield, movement theory, strategies and skills that needs to be honed to succeed in shmups generally.
Which is better for 1cc autism or asperger?
Is savantims merely a preference in competitive gaming?

Which ones are good for people who werent genetically blessed with 0.01ms reaction time, panoramic vision and movement coordination that allow them to pluck their own eyelash and write their name on the back of the flea running on the back of the hamster running inside a wheel.
preferable the ones that can be run on MAME without PC that contributes to climate change when idling

Are NES, SNES, Genesis shmups worth trying or its all arcade.
Are self imposed limitations like 1coin completion is the proper way to play them?
Just dont start a shitstorm like in the last thread, you think its a waste of time, thats ok, everyone get it, no need to write multiple posts about it and proclaim yourself a master troll when the thread is falling apart

This and anything else that will help a noob get better at them.
>>
>>3568525
>Batsugun
>last stage
>orange background, orange bullets and orange enemies
other stages also have shit like green tanks in trees and blue enemies in water.
on top of the that your shot when maxed out makes things really hard to see.
>>
File: dsc02409.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
dsc02409.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>3572619
I don't know if this is supposed to be a popular game but I had Stahlfeder for PS1, it seemed like a B tier shmup but you had a small palette of bullet color choices in the options. What other games do this? Why is it that a shitty low budget game has this over bigger games?
>>
File: stg difficulty.png (794KB, 569x8874px) Image search: [Google]
stg difficulty.png
794KB, 569x8874px
>>3572560
>Are NES, SNES, Genesis shmups worth trying or its all arcade.
As I said in the last thread, it's highly recomended to play on consoles(ports or not) for noobs, as those force the beginners to git gud, but are not nearly as hard as the arcade 1cc. Start with Compile games such as MUSHA, also try indies from Astro Port such as Vulkaiser, they are not /vr/, but feel old school yet noob friendly, as they are pretty easy on medium difficulty.
>Are self imposed limitations like 1coin completion is the proper way to play them?
This is the only way desu senpai. Some even think that it only counts on default difficulty or higher. But I like to adjust dip switches to my liking, it's still better than continuing or using autofire(in games that don't support it) outside of practice.
1cc is more of a grey area with consoles though, I go for 1cc on default settings in all console shmups(so far), but not in run 'n guns and other genres.
If you still wish to play arcades, start with the ones at the bottom of this list.
>>
>>3572650
Thanks karasique
>>
also, there is currently steam sale on mushihimesama, deathsmiles and crimzon clover. afaik all have novice modes which should be a doable 1cc for beginner.
>Which ones are good for people who werent genetically blessed with 0.01ms reaction time, panoramic vision and movement coordination that allow them to pluck their own eyelash and write their name on the back of the flea running on the back of the hamster running inside a wheel.
that's such a looser thing to say, desu senpai. while reflexes help, shmups are all about routing, that is figuring out what you need to do to survive/max your score at any given moment.
>>
File: tumblr_nylpf1Tikl1u7spc7o1_500.jpg (53KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nylpf1Tikl1u7spc7o1_500.jpg
53KB, 500x375px
>>3572683
>shmups are all about routing, that is figuring out what you need to do to survive/max your score at any given moment.

Are there any strategies I can apply to all shmups?
I mean I developed few general strategies for myself and follow them because they makes sense in theory, even if it hard to figure out whether they actually work just now.
>>
>>3572830
>Are there any strategies I can apply to all shmups?
kinda, but it's more like advices.
don't die with bombs in stock, don't stay at the very bottom of the screen etc. there are game specific ones as well, but it's really all about knowing what's coming next and what's the best way to deal with it, you can't beat these games without mastering small chunks. so yeah, don't credit feed, it's useless, aim to master each level.
>>
>>3572830
>Are there any strategies I can apply to all shmups?
Yeah, especially everything related to bullets aimed at you, you will eventually develop a better idea on how to deal with them, also have more precise control of your movements. U-streaming is essential for bullet-hells for example. Also practicing the games efficiently helps a lot.
>>
I'm not a troll though. I don't want people to get upset I want them to live better lives.
>>
i made it to stage 4 on 1 credit after just an hour of playing donpachi, haven't even started to practice with save-states yet.
wish i was naturally good at other action genres as well, anything that is not a fps or shmups kicks my ass.
>>3573040
the full extend of the jam pdf had some strats on how to deal with various pattern types, i should really read more about those, but don't like reading/watching/thinking about shitl, i'd rather learn as i play.
>>
>>3573057
I want you to live a better life by not wasting your own time pointlessly shitposting on the internet.

go outside
>go outside
go outside
go outside
>go outside
go outside
go outside
>go outside
go outside
go outside
>go outside
go outside
go outside
>go outside
go outside
go outside
>go outside
go outside
go outside
>go outside
go outside
go outside
>go outside
go outside
>>
>>3572560
>What is your opinion on them?

I enjoy them however I prefer something more in the line of Psikyo's stuff where there's more bullets than the average shmup at the time but not to the point where it's a bullet heck.
>>
>>3573040
>U-streaming is essential
Whats U-streaming?
>>
I used to play a lot of those (1cc'ed Mars Matrix and Esp Ra De, I used tons of savestate practice in both games but completions were done in a legit way). But there is too many rote memory involved in bullet-hell type shooters IMHO. Recently I've started to play again focusing to more conventional games and discovered gradius/parodius series a two weeks ago. I highly recommand them.
>>
File: DSCN5319_450.jpg (30KB, 450x313px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN5319_450.jpg
30KB, 450x313px
>>3573681
>1cc Esp Ra De
How the hell, the last boss is such a bullshit.
Imagine there is a boss in demons souls who send an attack like that.
Can you imagine shitstorm over /v/.
>>
>>3573965
By practicing with savestates A LOT. It was definitely the worst part. It took me six months bteween the first time I reached the giant statue head in one credit and the day I've beaten the game for the firts time and when I did it I had 4 lives in stock when facing the statue (and I lost 3 of them through the fight).
Statue head is not that hard, the old lady is ridiculous. I beat the game twice and never played it again after this.
This is also why I've switched to old school shooters: they're tough too but you can play casually...
>>
>>3574097
>By practicing with savestates A LOT.
I guess that's valid tactics to git gud too bad Retroarch MAME core does not support it, I guess I'll have to get myself a new emu.

>the old lady is ridiculous
I thought I was pretty much killing her and then the flying fuck has spread it wings moment.
I actually cursed in voice because what the fuck, what kinda BS is this, I mean she was dying so well, why stop now.
>>
>>3574206
>I guess that's valid tactics to git gud too bad Retroarch MAME core does not support it, I guess I'll have to get myself a new emu.
but it does, just not in the retroarch but in emulator itself, at least in mame 2014.
get shumpmame, it has 1(woah) frame of lag less and bunch of shmups bundled with it. i use mameuifx becouse of the sick ass pre-configured hlsl filter though. bad screeenshot, it looks better and less blurry in motion, i can't go back to unfiltered anymore.
>>
>>3574215
Downloaded FB core for retroarch and apparently it works just as well if not better than MAME and supports savestates.
> it looks better and less blurry in motion
Thats normal, you took screenshot in jpg, jpg is lossless format which creates artefacts, since all filters consist of small details (aperture grill, color bleed, blur, strobe, whatever) it will mess it.
>>
>>3572560
Aside from the final boss, Espgaluda isn't a bad place to start. The bullets aren't too fast and the hitbox is a little more obvious than in many bullet hells. It also has a bullet time mechanic that can help you get through tighter spots when you're just starting out.

I also recommend getting an arcade stick. I switched to stick for gaming years ago and I ended up getting into bullet hells because they're one of the best genres to play with an arcade stick. Even if you don't end up preferring stick you can still learn a bit playing around with one. Don't be afraid of a used or cheap one if you're new to them. Check Craigslist or whatever local deals site you have, or eBay/Amazon. Ideally, you would want something that is easily upgraded, like a Hori RAP 3/4 or Mad Catz TE/SE, but even a cheap Hori PS/2 stick with a PC adapter is a decent place to start, although it will be more difficult to upgrade in the long run.
>>
File: maschinen-krieger-3.jpg (188KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
maschinen-krieger-3.jpg
188KB, 500x667px
Well, played DoDonpachi.
Whats the deal with the hitbox, I feel like bullets that supposed to kill me fly over or under me.
Apart from that getting a bit better at dodging bullets by not tunelvision all the time.

Literally sighted in relief when understood I can just look at screen and manoeuvre between bullets not even looking at my ship at least if the pattern is not too heavy
Seen people rejected bomb usage, I am rather using them liberally, is that something frowned upon or what?
>>
>>3575235
>Seen people rejected bomb usage
Because of score penalties if you use them, especially in cave games where a single bomb (or death) litterally ruins an high score attempt.
>>
>>3572854
>credit feeding is useless
I find it helpful when I've just picked up a game.
>>
>>3575235
>not even looking at my ship
This is the 'trick' for bullet hell games. Be aware of where your ship is, but watch the patterns formed in the space between the bullets.

How much do you move around on the screen?
>>
>>3575249
Not that guy, but I credit feed when I am first trying out a game... to take a tour, kind of. If it's enjoyable and I want to play it more, I practice with no credit feeding, no save states.

Using the Satori Shooting Practice Program has cut way down on the memorization that I have to do for each new game. I can't recommend it highly enough for anyone who wants to develop bullet hell skills.
>>
>>3575251
>How much do you move around on the screen?
Normally I try not to flail left and right (still a lot to kill enemies) but in DoDonpachi I was flying left to right, back and forth to shoot all the enemies (they were coming from everywhere), get all the stars and upgrades.
>>
>>3575249
>I find it helpful when I've just picked up a game.
I used to do it too, but now it just makes me feel like 1cc is impossible, becouse later stages and bosses are usually really fucking mean.
so I just play on 1 credit until there is something i can't figure out without trial and error.
>>3575257
>to take a tour, kind of.
I usually find it more fun to uncover a new game bit by bit, and it motivates me to get better, it's like how most kids played hard ass nes games just to see what's ahead.
>Satori Shooting Practice Program
that looks interesting, can you tell me more about why it's good?
>>
>>3575257
Its not for any mainstream consoles or arcade?
>>
>>3575296

It's like exercises. You can train on many permutations of enemy patterns and bullet waves. It's just simple hand-eye and muscle memory training, practicing basic movement and shooting skills for STGs.

It's cut away pretty much all of my effort for memorization, except for boss patterns. It hasn't eliminated it entirely, and I'm not a super high scoring player so it's not like a silver key to skill or anything; but it has reduced the amount of time I need to get to grips with a game to 1cc it and start improving my score.
>>
Are there any cute-em-ups where you can play as a little boy?
>>
File: DSC01172s.jpg (93KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01172s.jpg
93KB, 640x480px
>>3575257
Can I even emulate this?
>>
Bump with more Maschinen Krieger because this is the most mecha thing in existence, not to mention most shmups feature enemies looking like that.
>>
>>3577124
bumps
>>
>>3576159
That's what I do. I'm a poorfag, so I can not afford a real x68k, as much as I'd love one.

There are a bunch of working x68k emulators, last time I recommended the one that I've been using with no problems I was 'informed' that it was shitty and broken. The Japanese PC thread should be able to give some good advice on the matter.
>>
>>3572625
blue wish resurrection lets you pick colors for bullets and score pickups. it's freeware
>>
Is there a control scheme for shmup/danmaku which is regarded as optimal?

I'm only a casual so I've mainly just used a d-pad, but I've heard a lot of long time players seem to swear by an arcade stick.
>>
>>3579674
stick is certainly a must if you plan to later play on real hardware, but that means you plan to score.
for simply getting 1cc, i see no reason to bother getting familiar with a stick. d-pad or keyboard is fine.
>>
>>3577124
That's pretty cool.
>>
>>3575468

Mamoru Has Been Cursed (not retro).

Fucking great ost too.
>>
File: 1419906129724.gif (154KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1419906129724.gif
154KB, 500x500px
More of an emu question, but what emulator would you guys suggest to play R-Type III on?
>>
File: 1450060355028.jpg (154KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1450060355028.jpg
154KB, 1600x1600px
>someone posting Maschinen Krieger on /vr/
Very nice.
>>
File: 1693784267_0b0128be5e[1].jpg (89KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1693784267_0b0128be5e[1].jpg
89KB, 500x375px
>>3581375
This seriously looks like something from metal slug or any other shmup of the times.
Remember reading his first models were composed of various kits and some junk he found like golf balls and stuff.
Wonder is there anywhere to see them? Must have been pretty cool if it was made out of junk and various sets and still got as much traction as it has.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.