[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ever had a SNES cartridge randomly erase its save files? What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 9

Ever had a SNES cartridge randomly erase its save files? What would cause that, and is it fixable? It's happening to my DKC2 game that I bought second hand
>>
It's a problem with the battery, obviously. Remove the battery and re-solder a new one.
>>
Battery dead, the sad fate of very cartage game that used RAM memory. But this usually means you can't make new saves, your old saves should still be there. It's very straight forward to replace it, they use those little coin batteries and all you need to get is a Nintendo security screw driver. Open it up, prize the old battery out and put the new one in and you can just tape it up with some electrical tape no real need to re-solder. Then test it by making a save right at the start of the game, take the cart out and give it a rough shake then pop it back in and see if the save is still there, if it's missing then the contacts on the battery aren't secure and you need to re-position
>>
>>3572125
Don't use tape, OP. Soldering isn't hard. The tape method is inconsistent and unstable.
>>
>>3572161
This.
It's retro basics 101.
Anyone using electrical tape/hot glue should be shot.
>>
>>3572164
m8 I shoot a whole load of my hot glue on my carts and they've worked fine for 5 years
>>
>>3572103
I ALWAYS test if the game saves normally before getting deeper into the game. You can't imagine my frustration when I played through most of Zelda Alttp in one sitting, got to the Turtle Rock and when I came back in the next day it was all gone.

Since then I never forget to test the saving system first.
>>
File: 1476612096323.gif (611KB, 300x304px) Image search: [Google]
1476612096323.gif
611KB, 300x304px
>>3572362
>I shoot a whole load of my hot glue on my carts
>>
Why doesn't anyone use google?
>>
File: image.jpg (112KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112KB, 600x600px
>>3572501
>>
>>3572125
Congratulations. You win the most retarded post of the day trophy. Nearly everything you said is wrong and your inability to spell basic words confirms you're underage and retarded.

>>3572164
Polly want a cracker? I bet you a dollar you've never even tried to tape, hot glue or solder to a battery.
>>
File: 1418410368169.jpg (157KB, 700x629px) Image search: [Google]
1418410368169.jpg
157KB, 700x629px
>>3572669
>you're
>>
>tfw as a kid I thought that SNES/N64 games were just unstable as fuck and would delete saves if you looked at the the wrong way or something.

>learned years later that it was just my dad and sister erasing them by accident and being too scared to tell me
>>
>>3572881
I'd straight up kill them both.

With that big kitchen knife.

As they're asleep.
>>
>>3572125
>prize the old battery out
>prize
For all intensive purposes it's a doggy dog world and you'll have to make due.
>>
File: 256step17.jpg (37KB, 602x397px) Image search: [Google]
256step17.jpg
37KB, 602x397px
>>3572539
That might lead them to a tutorial (like this one that I found on smspower.org) that shows them how to solder directly onto batteries. Granted, in the text he warns against soldering on a battery, but yet there he goes...
>>
>>3572691
>thinks the grammar was wrong
>>
>>3572539
Because google tracks you and sells your data.
>>
>>3572691
>epic autism fail
>>
File: 3ca.png (183KB, 599x378px) Image search: [Google]
3ca.png
183KB, 599x378px
>>3574013
>>3574038
>>
File: 1463838207087.gif (3MB, 640x266px) Image search: [Google]
1463838207087.gif
3MB, 640x266px
>>3574062
>Playing a PAL developed game on NTSC
>>
>>3572103
My SNES was plugged into a wall when our electricity cut out, shorted the SNES and gave it this weird RAM issue. Sometimes it would randomly delete my game saves.
Got a new SNES and all my saves hold now. So if it's many carts, it could be an issue with the SNES.
If it's specific to one cart, then I would think its the battery then.
Don't just open your carts though, something tells me this generation with their weird "cleaning" and "restoration" nonsense, more carts are being fucked in the process. Like this guy:
>>3572125
If you don't know what you're doing, take it into a shop and get the battery replaced for like 10 bucks. It takes 5 minutes and you know it's gonna be done right.
I'm sick and tired of ham fisted asspies doing shit restoration. Scraping pins with brillo pads, shaving down plastic carts because there happens to be some marker on it. So lets just go ahead and sandblast the mother fucker and leave a big matte rectangle where someone's last name was. Awesome work. Looks way better.

tl;dr Get your cart fixed at a local retro shop.
>>
>>3574075
>If you don't know what you're doing
>Let me tell you how to do it
>I don't know how to do it take it to a shop and get someone else to do a minimal non-cosmetic fix that can't go wrong
>>
Maybe there's something inherently faulty about the DKC2 game paks.
During a playthrough some 5 years ago, my game would just freeze on stage select and after resetting, all my saves were gone.
>>
>>3574087
In my opinion, if OP doesn't know why his game is erasing save files, he shouldn't be tampering with carts.
That's like driving around on a flat tire and asking around "Ever had a car that just randomly swerves left and right? What could possibly cause that!?"
I wouldn't trust that guy to change a tire the same why I don't trust OP to change a battery.

But then again I'm a complete asshole who doesn't trust people for shit, so who knows. Maybe I gave bad advice to the guy, but I'm putting my money on that cart staying broke.
>>
>>3574163
I guess that's why you never learned to change a battery. kek
>>
>>3574092
Probably not. This kind of problem (memory loss) happens with every cartridge that makes use of a battery. I also remember a day when my Pokemon Gold glitched out, the screen got all messed up with randomly placed tiles and then went blank forcing me to turn it off. When I turned it back on and got to the main menu, my save was gone.

Not sure what caused the glitch but I solved the save problem by just swapping the battery.
>>
Does the save file disappear when you replace the battery? How do you keep a save battery on SNES, GBC, N64, etc. carts from dying?

Are flashcarts/Everdrives better for this reason?
>>
File: IMG_3209.jpg (71KB, 600x327px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3209.jpg
71KB, 600x327px
>>3573816
>intensive purposes
>>
>>3575112
If you missed the point of that post, and only spotted one error (there are three) then you are the problem.
>>
File: 1423345321353.gif (534KB, 250x144px) Image search: [Google]
1423345321353.gif
534KB, 250x144px
>>3572161
>>3572125

This. Don't use tape. I think I may have created the tape method meme probably over 15 years ago in a snes repair thread on Gamefaqs. (it was probably around before that but I never saw it mentioned til I made that post) . I did it out of desperation and that cart worked for a while but gave me tons of trouble later, seemed to kill the battery faster as well as lost save games before the battery actually died.
Just solder it.
>>
>>3575728
>being so desperate for attention you make up a story about inventing the tape the battery meme
>being so retarded you think anyone believes someone who offers advice to solder to a battery was doing anything more advanced than shitting their diapers 15 years ago.
>>
>>3575709
Tbh I didn't read past that
>>
>>3572103
Happened to my SimCity. Years of work vanished in an instant.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.