[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Anything but Tangerines What did he mean by this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: anythingbuttangerines.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
anythingbuttangerines.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>Anything but Tangerines

What did he mean by this?
>>
Jim used to refer to chinks as tangerines.
>>
It's the actual name of the planet.
>>
File: ewj2-quiz3.png (15KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
ewj2-quiz3.png
15KB, 256x224px
>>3571732
EWJ is a mysterious game
>>
>tfw no EWJ2 with SNES/Genesis gameplay and Saturn graphics
>>
>>3571781
Why aren't there any games with good humor like this anymore?
>>
>>3571808
Tell me, how many blockbuster movies with good humor have you seen in your recent memory? And games now cost more than movies to make—$100 mln games are a common occurrence now. Everyone takes less risks, and aims everything at lowest common denominator.

When games like Monkey Island and EWJ were made, games were small budget products made by few people. 16-bit era game budgets were in the order of $50–300K (for comparison, today a TV cartoon costs around $300–500K to make). It's the same reason someone like Mike Judge doesn't usually do big movies. But a cartoon—sure. Unsurprisingly, Doug TenNapel also made a cartoon after EWJ. Comedy is usually low-budget territory, see Adult Swim and the like.

Also, it's less important, but times have simply changed. Today serious gritty bleak stuff sells better. In the '90s, The Mask and Ace Ventura became huge and this gave crazy, twisted and humorous stuff a big push in the media. Now it's just not "in the zeitgeist". When was the last time a humorous game sold well?
>>
>>3571808

I think EWJ's random humor was certainly fresher back when the game was new. I personally enjoy it, but if a new game came out with that similar style it might get accused of being "lol so random XD" (see: how Duke get's occasionally crapped on for not being PC or whatever in current year).
>>
>>3571732
that tangerines is the worst.
>>
>>3571808
The Borderlands series is hilarious. The Telltale games that have silly tones tend to get e couple belly laughs out of me too.
>>
>>3572183
Memelands.
>>
>>3572183
I think borderlands as a series is sort of an example why games - or media in general - doesn't go for heavy humor these days.
Do it too much and it becomes obnoxious. Once someone feels that certain type of humor has become obnoxious they're from then on annoyed by it and will not be interested in that style anymore. They won't buy more of that stuff.
>>
>>3571808
Because a certain species of talented misfit used to work for video games after originally working for demanding software companies like microsoft and deciding that they would rather go off and do their own thing. Video games are a lot of work for not much money though so after a few projects the star players cycle out and take less stressful jobs for more money, and sell the company to some publisher or some shit. Now it's autistic people who slipped through every crack thanks to their video game addiction and latch on to it as their only hope for a future, and autistic people are incapable of humour. And having dedicated writers doesn't work either because if they were good why would they be doing video game shit. You only get self important retards.
>>
File: alfred pennyworth.jpg (17KB, 300x263px) Image search: [Google]
alfred pennyworth.jpg
17KB, 300x263px
>>3571732
AH 'ONG TOIM A'O, JIM WOZ AN BUHHHMEH. HIS MATES AND HIM WOZ WURKIN' FER DE LOCUW GOVVAMEN'. DEY WOZ TROYIN TER BOI DE LOYAL'EE OV TROIBUL LEADUHS BOI BROIBIN EM WIV PRESHUS STOWS. BAHT DER CEREVAYNS WOZ BEIN' RAYDID IN A FORES' NORF OV RAYNGOON BOI A BENDIT. SO, WOI WENT LOOKIN' FER DA STOWS. BAHT IN SEX MUNFS, WE NEVA MET NOBODY OOH TRAYDED WIV EM. WAN DOI, AH SAW A LITTLE CUNT PLAYIN WIV A WUBY DA SOIZ UV A TAYNGEREYN.
>>
>>3571732
Clowns fear tangelos.
>>
>>3572229

What.
>>
>>3571732

"What do we name this stage?"
"Tangerines."
"That name sucks, name it anything but tangerines."
>>
>>3572183
>memelands
>telltale shit
>funny
Please kill yourself
>>
>>3572809
It think this anon nailed it.
>>
>>3572183
You're trolling, right? Borderlands tries way too hard to be funny and it comes across as obnoxious.
>>
>>3572863
>>3572817
>>3572194
>>3572193
So what's it like to go through life without laughter, or a sense of humor in general?
>>
File: macky.png (558KB, 785x589px) Image search: [Google]
macky.png
558KB, 785x589px
>>3572809
>>
>>3572871
A man who sees bad humor and recognizes it does so because he has already seen many examples of the good stuff.
>>
>>3572805
SUM PEEPOOL WONT TWO WOTCH DU WURLD BURN, LOIKE JIM
>>
>>3572871
What's it like being retarded and laughing at unfunny shit?
>>
File: 6862322234.jpg (83KB, 619x853px) Image search: [Google]
6862322234.jpg
83KB, 619x853px
>>3572809
Here. You won it. It's all yours.
>>
>>3572183
Borderlands just packs in a bunch of memes and has everyone act like a stereotypical moron. The only difference is that different characters are different stereotypes.
>>
>>3571781
That quiz was legendary.
>>
>>3572229
>AH SAW A LITTLE CUNT PLAYIN WIV A WUBY DA SOIZ UV A TAYNGEREYN

lost it
>>
I really want to love EWJ2, and to an extent I do, but I really wish they'd focused more on traditional levels. One Puppy Love would have been enough, Flying King just isn't that fun, and the final level is a bit of a let-down when it comes to being a boss fight. It almost seems like they ran out of level design ideas for traditional sidescrolling levels so they just padded it with random stuff.
>>
>>3573037
>It almost seems like they ran out of level design ideas for traditional sidescrolling levels so they just padded it with random stuff

EWJ1 in a nutshell
>>
>>3571781
I don't know, can you repeat the question?
>>
>>3571808
The Portal games are funny. And don't try and brush that off as meme humor either - The humor was original and only became memes after the fact.
>>
>>3572193
hbhg
>>
>>3571863
Not really humour in my eyes, but Borderlands 2. And the new Sam and Max. And video games that have humour in the idea of a video game or the gameplay itself, not necessarily in the narrative.
>>
>>3574816

I see what you did there.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.