[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wario

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

File: wl.jpg (150KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wl.jpg
150KB, 1920x1080px
So, I'm under the impression 1 is so so, but 2,3,4 are awesome. That fair?
>>
>>3571279
Each new Wario Land game is better than the last.
>>
>>3571279
The general consensus here seems to be:

1 is great
VB is underrated
2 is underwhelming
3 is the best
4 is also the best?

This is what I've noticed anyway, my opinion would be completely different. I hate 3 but like the rest.
>>
>>3571279
I love 3 and a bit less so 4. Also love SML3:WL.

But WL2 I just can't finish. Just tried it after a long break—it's just too tedious. Levels are too long, there are hidden breakable walls too which is often annoying.

WL3 feels like 2, except a million times more polished and improved.
>>
2 = 3 > 1 > vb > 4

I still like 4, but I think its the weakest in the series.
>>
>>3571287
>I hate 3

i hate you
>>
>>3571285
1 is good as a standard platformer. 2 and 3 stand out with a unique gameplay formula. 4 is good too, but a bit underwhelming after you've played the others.
>>
>>3571279
Talk about Wario games thread? LIST YOUR WARIO GAMES OPINIONS THREAD?!

1 is good, actually. It's clunky as hell, but the design is really thoughtful, the powerups are fun, and the world is very strange. It just reflects very little on the rest of the series.

2 is my least favorite, personally, if only because of its linear nature while still being mission-based. The boss design is also not as refined as the later games. Level design is still pretty good, though.

3 is the closest you can get to a collect-a-thon on the GBC and it's really fun. While some don't like the powerup-locked platforming, I think it adds a lot to the progression. Bosses are really fun and the level design has great thematic elements.

Wario Land 4 is a legit platformer and the level design is great for that. The bosses are also fantastic, but again, it's a very different game from the rest of the series and it has its own feel. Not my personal favorite but still a damn fine title full of charm.

Wario World is completely different but still very collection-based. Level design is weird, physics are pretty shoddy (it's no Mario game, for sure), but damn, does it feel good to suplex enemies.

Also, Shake It! is decent but kind of marred by stupid motion controls. More like Wario Land 4 than any other game, it has great animation and decent level design.

Still need to play VB
>>
>>3571571
>It's clunky as hell

What part of WL1 is clunky? The controls are perfectly responsive.
>>
The original would be better if Wario was just slightly faster and less floaty.
>>
>>3571287
>VB is underrated
It's actually a bit overrated on here.
>>
>>3571580
The character model is just so big, and takes up so much of the screen, it can be slow-moving through the levels, which are admittedly quite large.
>>
>>3571603
thats not a problem because wario is supposed to be kawaii as fuck.
the sprites are incredibly detailed for a gb game
>>
>>3571605
W-wario is kawaii as fuck. But it still makes movement and action feel... chunky, is maybe a better word.
>>
File: rice-beach-2.png (353KB, 3813x862px) Image search: [Google]
rice-beach-2.png
353KB, 3813x862px
>>3571603
Have you ever seen Wario in SML2? Of course he's a big guy. However, his movement is more precise than that of Mario because he has no steering physics. The only problem I see is small screen area—it's a bit hard to see where you're going. But heck, that's GB for you.

> it can be slow-moving through the levels, which are admittedly quite large.
Never really had this problem. Large levels?… Are we talking about the same game? The stages are tightly packed with obstacles/enemies, they are much smaller than in Mario World.

Anyway, even if I forget some long stages, there is always jetpack upgrade.
>>
File: wur.png (53KB, 443x152px) Image search: [Google]
wur.png
53KB, 443x152px
>>
I really liked 2 and 3 as a kid but the whole "take 1 hit, get knocked off platform and have to climb all the way back up" gimmick really wears on me when I try to play them today
>>
>>3571287
>2 is underwhelming
Nah nigga nah
>>
>>3571287
>>3571303
>>3571328
>>3571375
>>3571504
>>3571571
>>3571580
>>3571718
>>3571861
>>3571735

Poll for your votes, let's do this.

http://www.strawpoll.me/11466495
>>
>>3571947
>http://www.strawpoll.me/11466495
I gave my vote to 3, but I was divided between it and SML3:WL. They're different games and thus hard to compare. Out of 2–4 though I'd pick 3 any day of the week.
>>
>>3571965
Nice feedback. Not much love for 4 so far.
>>
File: Virtual_Tiny_Wario.png (28KB, 116x120px) Image search: [Google]
Virtual_Tiny_Wario.png
28KB, 116x120px
>>3571947

>no Virtual Boy
>>
>>3572120
> Not much love for 4 so far.
Not surprisingly, IMO. It had 10/10 style and atmosphere, but 7/10 substance. Good game, but IMO it took a few steps back for WL. Just a bit lazier, not taking itself seriously enough.
>>
>>3571605
>Wario
>kawai

Maybe in the first game where it's still a reminiscent of Mario games. Hell, it's even called "Mario Land 3". In the sequels, however, he's clearly a thug, with a bit of a goofy-ish side.
>>
>>3571279
I only grew up with 1. It's fantastic. I started playing a few of the others on emulators the other day

Virtual boy is decent but not as good as 1. 2 really isn't grabbing me (I'm about 2 or 3 levels past the opening chapter where you leave your castle). I haven't put enough time in 3 or 4 to form an opinion yet.
>>
File: 24999124_p0.png (215KB, 600x590px) Image search: [Google]
24999124_p0.png
215KB, 600x590px
O Captain my Captain
>>
Here's what I need to know and am too lazy to test myself.

The money making minigame at the end of the level, in Wario Land 1. The one where you have two buckets and one of them doubles your money while the other halves it.

Is it rigged? I feel like it has to be. Assuming that you have an equal chance of winning or losing, every time you choose a bucket, as long as you have between 2 and 665 coins (inclusive), your reward is higher than your risk (in most cases it is twice as high). Is it always 50/50 whether you win or lose, that is, is there always one winning bucket and one losing bucket, which are positioned at random (alternatively, your choice is random)?

This is important.
>>
File: 6623889032.jpg (12KB, 236x235px) Image search: [Google]
6623889032.jpg
12KB, 236x235px
Come here bitch
Lemme show ya who's boss
>>
I remember when the meme opinion on /v/ was that WL4 is cancer because you can die and that ruins the mechanics

I don't remember the gameplay well enough beyond "it was fun" but it's one of the best-looking GBA games ever, absolutely fantastic art direction
>>
>>3575613
>it's one of the best-looking GBA games ever
It's also one of the earliest. Funny how that works out, eh?
>>
WL3 will always be my favorite. That game has a fuckton of replay value. Honorary mention goes to WL2 for having multiple storylines and 50+ interesting, well made levels.

VBWL, while good, is overrated. WL4 is too style over substance for me.
>>
>>3571947
If I had to rank em I'd go

2 >< 3 > 4

I give 2 the edge because I feel the pacing in 3 sucks. If you didn't have to constantly unlock everything for the fun parts and you can get every key as soon as you get to the levels it would be better. So after beating 3 it may be worth going back for another playthrough to do time attack mode where everything is already complete and you can just do the levels instead.

For 2 I got a lot of nostalgia for it and it has fun levels and branching story paths.

4 is great and probably feels the best to control Wario but it is very short and to me everything else was better in the previous games. 4 is still great though so if you liked the others you should still like 4 unless you hate the fact that Wario has health.

I have not played 1 yet.
>>
>>3572430
Thug-moe
>>
VB >>> 4 > 2 > 1 > 3
all great though
>>
>>3575803
I love 32 bit 2D graphics, some of the finest sprite art come from 5th gen consoles and the GBA.
>>
>>3576004
>I have not played 1 yet.
Do it man, emulate it for free or pick it up on VC for pocket change, it's a fun platformer with perfectly bitesized levels for a platformer, you can easily squeeze in one or two levels on the bus or in a waiting room.
>>
>>3576383
>*perfectly bitesized levels for a handheld

Is what I meant to write.
>>
>>3573758

Well, I'm sure you got a chance of 50% to get the right bucket. I tried savescumming on that minigame and it always gave me the other choice.

You're free to try it out yourself but if you're really too lazy to do it then now you know.
>>
1 is my favorite, though I seem to be in the vast minority in that opinion.
>>
File: Captain_Syrup.png (69KB, 167x400px) Image search: [Google]
Captain_Syrup.png
69KB, 167x400px
>>3576716
It's pretty great.
>>
Casuals hate Wario Land 4 because there's more at stake and Wario can actually die.
>>
>>3577002

despite being able to die, Wario Land 4 isn't really more difficult than the other games in the series. In fact, it's significantly easier than WL3
>>
>>3577002
>Casuals hate Wario Land 4

In which board do these casuals dwell? I don't think I've ever seen someone actually hating on this game on /vr/. If anything, the consensus is that WL4 isn't as unique as the others, but still a very fun game and a great eye candy.
>>
>>3577335
I don't hate WL4's gameplay, but I'm not fond of its atmosphere. The devs had new toys like digital voice & music recordings to work with and damnit they used them. It's clearly a game they used to experiment and as a result the game comes across as kinda arthousey.
>>
>>3577349
Artistic experimental games are great.

I like Wario Land 4 because of the very tight and precise gameplay with a competitive aspect on scores and difficulty. The visuals and level design are absolutely amazing too.
>>
>>3571947
>No VBWL
Nah
>>
>>3577354
>Artistic experimental games are great.
Only if they remember the 'game' part is still primary, else you end up with Gone Home.
>>
>>3576383
This. I missed Wario in his day because I never had a handheld as a kid, but I started with 1 recently in my downtime at work, for just a few minutes at a time, and it's perfect for that situation.
>>
>>3577137
Have you beaten S-Hard 100%?
>>
>>3571375
Sorry, I don't like how he starts out with none of his moves from 2. It's a chore.

I also hate having to go back through levels to find new keys.

I also hate the golf minigame with an undying passion. II had shitty minigames too, but the golf game is absolutely awful.
>>
>>3576665
I've tried savescumming on the bucket game in WL1 and it works as long as you save before picking a bucket, then reload if you get the 16t weight on your head, until you get the moneybag, where you save, repeat until you've turned 100 coins into 800 coins.
>>
W A H
A
H
>>
>>3577948
>I don't like how he starts out with none of his moves from 2
This.

It looks and feels like the previous game, but lolfuckyou you don't get to charge or groundpound like you want, eat shit.
>>
>>3577948
>I also hate the golf minigame with an undying passion.
Lol what? It's great and far better than unfair games from previous ones.

> I also hate having to go back through levels to find new keys.
Where did this meme come from? You get new areas to open, it gives a sense of seamless, connected world, like in Metroid.
>>
>>3571279
>1
>so-so

What kind of heathen opinion is that?
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.