[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Darkstalkers // Halloween Makai Aesthet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 27

File: IMG_2225.jpg (43KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2225.jpg
43KB, 480x360px
Let's talk about Darkstalkers (aka Vampire), and also any other VR that has Halloween aesthetics.

I love how smooth and detailed the animation is in this game, and also love how Japanese games incorporate Western horror elements into their overall aesthetic -- game series like Castlevania, Disgaea and Resident Evil are some of my favorites. Post pictures and talk about all the spooky stuff, especially examples in otherwise non-spooky games.
>>
File: IMG_2227.jpg (487KB, 1501x1194px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2227.jpg
487KB, 1501x1194px
One difference between Japan and Western occult beliefs is that the 'witching hour' occurs at dusk instead of midnight. You'll notice in some Yoshi's Island stages that Shy Guys and other spooky creatures come out at dusk. I'd assume this trope happens in some other games too.
>>
I want to fuck Lilith.
>>
File: hsien ko witch.jpg (106KB, 725x1000px) Image search: [Google]
hsien ko witch.jpg
106KB, 725x1000px
>>3570514
>I love how smooth and detailed the animation is in this game,

They did some fun stuff with the animation

http://art-eater.com/2010/07/test-1-darkstalkers/

in a way Im kind of glad the series died, I really would HATE to see it get that shitty 3d model treatment that SF got.
>>
>>3571949
VS is a great last entry to the series too, so I highly agree with this.
>>
>>3572049
Shame the recent rerelease flopped.

They should've at least made it a "complete" version featuring all the stuff from the console versions but not tampering with why people prefer the arcade version, but I guess that's too much work for current Capcom.
>>
>>3572062
Is it not arcade perfect or something? I have it but I just play on GGPO.
>>
>>3572078
It is arcade perfect, I just wish it'd be arcade perfect PLUS have Huitzil/Pyron/Don and whatever other shit they added in console versions, so you'd at least have some kinda reason to play it over the GGPO version
>>
File: Sf-bishamon.gif (39KB, 115x112px) Image search: [Google]
Sf-bishamon.gif
39KB, 115x112px
I like the Saturn version of Savior the best.
Full animations, all characters, gameplay is arcade-perfect as far as I can tell, and playing it with the Saturn pad feels like heaven, and virtually no loading times outside of the only "now loading" screen before you start the game.
It's still not perfect, the resolution is a bit smaller than on the arcade, sound is not exactly the same, but all in all it's still the version I prefer if I have to choose.
Also, I like to play this on a CRT, so the HD version doesn't do it for me. However I never played the PS2 chronicles version. I believe it does include the Hunter characters on Savior, but I've also read the controls have lag. Anyway I'm not trying that version unless I can find a copy of it with the purple PS2 Saturn model pad.
>>
>>3572083
Yeah they could have an arcade-mode without those characters but allow you to use them otherwise.
>>
>>3570514
Ah Morrigan, my first succubi crush. She started my obsession with succubus-themed hentai.
>>
File: Morrigan+WINS.gif (254KB, 384x224px) Image search: [Google]
Morrigan+WINS.gif
254KB, 384x224px
>>3572237
>tfw no Eternal Slumber succubization doujins
>>
>>3572102

They where only dropped for memory reasons weren't they?

>>3572237

See you're lucky, there's a lot less stuff out there to cater to Jiang Shi fans
>>
>>3573648
Yeah, but I meant in the re-release.
>>
>>3573814

well what I mean is there's no reason to drop them out of any mode since memory isn't a problem
>>
>>3573819
It would completely change the balance though, so some people would prefer a mode without them.
>>
File: 56.gif (2MB, 540x410px) Image search: [Google]
56.gif
2MB, 540x410px
Still my favorite semen demon
>>
>>3573825

well ideally if they gave half a fuck about that they'd have done balancing to deal with that issue too.
>>
>>3573847
Hunter 2 and Savior 2 both had mechanics and such rebalanced and the community hated it.
>>
File: Lei-Lei&Anita-VH_2.png (13KB, 384x386px) Image search: [Google]
Lei-Lei&Anita-VH_2.png
13KB, 384x386px
>>
Bumping for Halloween
>>
File: e8a5d777d1574648e4fa34d6e32c9195.jpg (561KB, 2269x3348px) Image search: [Google]
e8a5d777d1574648e4fa34d6e32c9195.jpg
561KB, 2269x3348px
>>3573843
Screw you Lilith is a sexier semen demon
>>
>>3574956
That and the 3 returning characters all got screwed up in some way. Pyron was nerfed to near uselessness, Donovan's tricky zoning tactics just don't work as well in Savior where everything's tuned toward offense, and Huitzil traded in his broken gimmick for an even more broken gimmick while losing his other good traits. That all applies to even the versions that use the original Vampire Savior system, like the Saturn or PS2 versions or whatever.
>>
File: 5d7280153dd015457743c2adfe216009.jpg (329KB, 898x1300px) Image search: [Google]
5d7280153dd015457743c2adfe216009.jpg
329KB, 898x1300px
>>3577893
Nice collection. As for Darkstalkers' character design work, it was really a big undertaking. They were coming up with something to follow up SF2, so obviously it had to be something that stood out. The monster theme is a big part of what really let them explore new opportunities both in visuals and gameplay. Akiman has said that he and the team that made Darkstalkers 1 actually spent three whole months just in the basic character design phase. The entire game's development time was also 2 years, which was pretty long for a game back then.
>>
>>3577903
she's a 2/10, tits are too small
>>
>>3578573
That's the point, anon. Flat chest is beautiful chest.
>>
File: 300x300.jpg (26KB, 430x300px) Image search: [Google]
300x300.jpg
26KB, 430x300px
>>3577893

I don't agree but I respect you
>>
>>3577893
Bulleta best grill. I'd like to watch her count money after swindling me.

Nice collection!
>>
File: For_great_justice.jpg (794KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
For_great_justice.jpg
794KB, 2592x1944px
>>3579516
Fair enough, the Justice series has a lot of cute girls, more than the Vampire series, but I'm sticking to my statement because on the whole I like the variety offered in Vampire, while there are a few in Justice which I'd say are a bit generic.

>>3578556
The work does show, and I appreciate it. Fighting catgirls stick together ^^.

>>3579579
I don't think she swindles, her services just cost a lot. For someone from the human world, she's quite sadistic.
>>
>>3579919
I wanna play.
>>
File: CpgS--YUAAUNH8q.jpg (29KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
CpgS--YUAAUNH8q.jpg
29KB, 256x256px
Everyone associates him with Street Fighter, but Darkstalkers is the series Daigo Umehara first gained fame in. Although he started with SF2 like everyone else, he never reached the big leagues during that game's heyday. It was in Vampire Hunter that he first started making big feats like win streaks that broke the game's win counter, and first competed in national level tournaments. Vampire Savior was where he got his first national level tournament win.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmmhAO_t0Ws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f8-FcNpUPw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QdqnnzwEqE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhjGEck1xeY
>>
File: 171705-149964-natsu.jpg (26KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
171705-149964-natsu.jpg
26KB, 480x480px
>>3579919

You're good people, anon. I do remember those days indeed. Where the fuck does the time go.
>>
File: Capcom_logo-thumb1.jpg (296KB, 2500x978px) Image search: [Google]
Capcom_logo-thumb1.jpg
296KB, 2500x978px
how did a godlike company fall so far?
>>
does anyone even play darkstalkers anymore? does it have an internet community playing on fightcade or anything?

always wanted to get into darkstalkers because it's so visually appealing but i'm years late
>>
>>3580509
A company's only as good as its employees. People from Capcom's golden age simply don't work there anymore, or not as game devs, like Neo_G (SFA2, SF3.3, MvC2, CvS2, etc) who was stuck being a manager/manual writer at Capcom and recently left to make fighting games again at SNK. And when those people left, there was no proper transmission of knowledge, among other things because japanese companies are known to be shit at that. So when they made SF4 they had to rediscover everything about how to make a fighting game.

There's also the matter of size, making them only want to make big projects that rake in big bucks, which means they are risk averse and uncreative.
>>
>>3580685

yeah but wouldn't lower sales at lower production still add up? I don't get why games and comics are so against that.

Yeah one game that's a 10 million seller is great but a bunch of games that sell hundreds of thousands would add up to more profit
>>
>>3580509
It's shit now
>>
>>3580685
Don't forget that internal politics also eliminated a bunch of their old employees.

I would've bought a 3ds for Megaman Legends 3.
>>
File: 826371.jpg (44KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
826371.jpg
44KB, 640x480px
I just don't understand what's happening. It's not even JUST capcom. Konami's in the shitter, Square's fucking up, Sega's never getting out of that hole and Im not confident Nintendo isn't gonna nintendo things up again.

How did ALL these companies go to hell? I could understand one maybe two but ALL of them?
>>
File: Hsien-Ko by wat_son.jpg (47KB, 600x797px) Image search: [Google]
Hsien-Ko by wat_son.jpg
47KB, 600x797px
>>3580563

The Fightcade room has some players occasionally, but sadly it isn't that big.

Does Japan still have Darkstalkers tourneys by the way?
>>
>>3580509
> Asura's Wrath
> Dead Rising
> Megaman 9
> Street Fighter IV/Marvel vs. Capcom 3/Street Fighter V

I think you're overpraising the Capcom of the past. What era is "Good Capcom", anyways? I never see any concrete dates or falling off points where people start referring to their work as bad.
>>
File: judgement day 4 character count.png (255KB, 713x324px) Image search: [Google]
judgement day 4 character count.png
255KB, 713x324px
>>3581028
Yes, Japanese community still holds a few big tournaments like Judgement Day, and the US community has been catching up ever since VSAV was added to GGPO nearly a decade ago.

https://youtu.be/63toRGT8U30
>>
>>3581025
Capcom was never that great as some people seem to think. Sega and Nintendo are good. Nintendo always fucked up here and there, you can't expect them to innovate if they don't fuck up once in a while. Sega is doing good. You're talking about Team Sonic, and even that one has atleast one team who knows how to make games.
>>
>>3581479
I didn't really mean that about Capcom, came out wrong, I just mean they haven't been great in a loooong while, just a bit good, and lately they haven't dropped that much.
>>
>>3581028
All the players that hangout in the fightcade room are pro players btw. If you want to get dunked on by the best sasquatch in the world, hit up Mr igloo if he's on
>>
>>3580921
>yeah but wouldn't lower sales at lower production still add up?
It is usually the opinion of such companies that it is not worth the trouble of setting up management structures for such small teams, and indeed doesn't add up all that much, if at all. Also usually the reasoning that if those devs make good games, they should big assigned to huge games so they can rake in the profit.

>>3580968
It's not so much elimination as a sort of natural process that happens in companies: if you're good, you're expected to move up, and become a producer/manager or suchlike. That also means the reverse, if you refuse to move up (because you just want to make games), you're likely to be seen as not being that good, or as that old guy who's always in the same position and refuses to get on with the times. And so you'll be sent to a fitting dead end job, Konami style. It takes some real fortitude to be like the Ace Attorney guy, sticking to the dev position no matter what.

>>3581025
Their greatness was a product of the time, when small, flexible companies could rake in huge profits. But their project management methods just didn't scale up (a well known problem with japanese companies, where even internal teams wouldn't share knowledge between them, let alone something like GDC in the west) and that led to their falling behind and becoming risk-averse.
>>
>>3581028
>Does Japan still have Darkstalkers tourneys by the way?
Yes, for both Hunter and Savior even.
>>
>>3581394
>>3581489
>>3582070
so they play the saturn version? is chaos tower not an acceptable tournament version or something?

with it being such a small community i don't wanna get into the wrong version..
>>
>>3582426

people play it on fc and there are still some locals for it, socal and chicago still play it quite often

it has a pretty good number in canada cup i think, and NEC is another vamprie savior tournament going on as well

chaos tower as far as i know isn't good
>>
>>3582426
Tournaments almost always use the original arcade versions. If those aren't convenient, then Resurrection on PS3/360 is used instead.

the PSP Chaos Tower (and the Dreamcast Vampire Chronicle that it is a port of) is generally disliked by hardcore players because it's incredibly inaccurate to the source games it claims it represents.
>>
File: ds-huitzil-ex-mockup.gif (103KB, 384x119px) Image search: [Google]
ds-huitzil-ex-mockup.gif
103KB, 384x119px
https://tcrf.net/Category:Darkstalkers_series
Dummied out data.
>>
>>3573843
>Obari animates a rocket punch
>>
>>3578543
Ah, didn't know the missing characters were so bad even in console Savior
>>
>>3581479
>Capcom was never that great as some people seem to think
>>3581391
>I think you're overpraising the Capcom of the past. What era is "Good Capcom", anyways

kys senpaitachi
>>
>>3587954
Yeah, they don';'t really add anything worthwhile in any version of Savior they're in. If people really want to play as those characters, I'd just recommend they play Night Warriors. I know it's a completely different game, but at least those characters are worthwhile roster slots in that game..
>>
>>3585993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91crghvuXf4
>>
Demitri best character
>>
anyone want to play vampire savior or hunter on fightcade?
>>
>>3583007
>>the PSP Chaos Tower (and the Dreamcast Vampire Chronicle that it is a port of) is generally disliked by hardcore players because it's incredibly inaccurate to the source games it claims it represents.
No, the issue is that just like Hyper SFII, you can mix characters from previous games and completely screw up the balance of the game. also chronicle mixes the cast from savior 1 and 2, which both rely on different play mechanics, once again unbalancing the game.

That said, I love chroncile and I love it because I can use any of the characters from savior 1 & 2. The original arcade hardware was maxed out, requiring them to remove characters in order to add others, so some of my favorites did not make the cut. Also no one version of the game really has every playable character in it. There's a number of variants used in different games and even a couple odd ducks only used in other games like the little girl in marvel vs street fighter.
>>
>>3581391
In the 80s Capcom made some good coin-op machines. But in the 90s they exploded with stuff like Megaman X, SF2 and 3, Darkstalkers, D&D, AvP, Mahvel, Resident Evil, Breath of Fire, etc etc. In the early 00s you had shit like Clover studio and the Capcom five putting out some really creative stuff.
Last gen shit got messy. On-disc DLC and Capcom taking fewer risks and losing a lot of talent like Clover, Mikami and Inafune (yes, he is a good producer, given a sizable budget and team). Last gen Capcom did >>3581391, DMC4 and Dragon's Dogma but that's about it. I guess they continued Ace Attorney and fucked up Resident Evil. Lately they've been making good games but the budgets are so high and they put so much money into f2p smartphone shit that doesn't even come overseas that all we've gotten is SFV, Dead Rising and Ace Attorney.
>>
Hunter or Savior?
>>
>>3581025
Basically Japanese companies used to be mostly filled with programmers and artists who would make business decisions. By the mid 2000s when nips caught on that game budgets and team sizes were inflating, they realized that they would need businessmen to structure companies, manage finances, work with PR, etc. Westerners have been doing this for years, see Kalinsky at Sega of America for example. And so businessmen for western games have a better understand of the biz, and they usually hire people with experience in creative industries, or at least industries based on selling products. But in Japanland, company higher-ups were replaced with people whose backgrounds came from organizations like banks, not creative industries. So these fucks love it because game developers don't mind getting whipped and being forced to work long hours, and they can force their shitty practices on consumers without a ton of backlash. They don't give a shit about making good or innovative games, only games that will make bank.
>>
>>3581501
Yeah, Japanese devs don't share designs or lessons publicly because they're so fiercely competitive. If you want to know how to make a great Mario game, you have to either get a job at Nintendo or read essays of westerners analyzing Mario. They also have terrible production methods. Americans realized a long time ago that money could be saved by designing game engines and technology to be flexible, and updating them over time to keep pace. But many Japanese companies will spend years of development stuck in prototype phase because they rewrite the entire engine from scratch, which isn't sustainable anymore. And often it wasn't worth the cost in the first place. For example, Square Enix spent millions of dollars investing in the Luminous Engine which would power all their next-gen games. But FFXV which uses the engine is no longer the best looking game out there and it isn't even out yet. And what do you know, Kingdom Hearts III and the FFVII remake are using Unreal 4, because it's cheaper and they can make games FAR faster with it. My guess was that decision was made when they replaced their CEO with a semi-competent one, because nobody wants to wait another half-decade for a big-budget Square Enix game.
>>
anyone want to play?
>>
File: Zabel_j_lk_2.png (3KB, 113x92px) Image search: [Google]
Zabel_j_lk_2.png
3KB, 113x92px
hey guys what's going on
>>
File: Rikuo flush.png (64KB, 500x418px) Image search: [Google]
Rikuo flush.png
64KB, 500x418px
someone play on fightcade with me

i suck at the game
>>
>>3593184
>But in Japanland, company higher-ups were replaced with people whose backgrounds came from organizations like banks, not creative industries.
I remember that one Capcom IR report that everyone was bleating about a few years back showed their management, and stated their previous jobs. Most of them did indeed come from the financial industry.
>>
File: bbhood invisible gun.jpg (398KB, 800x650px) Image search: [Google]
bbhood invisible gun.jpg
398KB, 800x650px
You're gonna carry that weight.
>>
>>3593457
Spoil me: How's that hitbox broken?
>>
>>3594041
It's not the hitbox that's the problem, it's the unblockable glitch.
>>
>>3594050
Just googled it.
>The last couple active hitframes for Zabel's j.LK is unblockable.

Well, that's dicks.
>>
>>3594070
HOLY FUCK I NEED A SAUCE ASAP
>>
>>3594070
Artist?
>>
>>3594070
Sauce.
>>
>>3594070
>no fap November just started 15 mins ago
>see this image

I hate you.
>>
>>3594070
Wew lad.
>>
File: image.jpg (149KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
149KB, 1280x720px
>>3594070
I'm going up need the source here.
>>
>>3594407
That's the way I want my Halloween to end.

Shame I missed out on >>3594070
>>
>>3594407
Source?
>>
File: lilithmorrigan.jpg (405KB, 2428x1966px) Image search: [Google]
lilithmorrigan.jpg
405KB, 2428x1966px
>>3594407
Fucking rockman
>>
So All About Vampire Savior says that early in development they actually had to scrap everything they had and start over. I wonder how different the version they scrapped was from what we ended up with. Maybe that was where the whole Dee business happened.
>>
File: 1408775485915.png (70KB, 184x200px) Image search: [Google]
1408775485915.png
70KB, 184x200px
Sauce is kyle or kairunoburogu. In case you guys haven't found it yet.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.