[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reto Gaming Audio Devices

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: GMC-MB2.jpg (268KB, 640x559px) Image search: [Google]
GMC-MB2.jpg
268KB, 640x559px
Does anyone own of those devices that can play music from retro machines using actual hardware from those machines?

I know there are a few. This one is the GIMIC and it lets you attach sound modules that have sound chips from various older devices. You can either use it as a hardware synth, or use it to play sound files.

http://gimic.net/index.php?Getting%20Started%20with%20G.I.M.I.C

>The G.I.M.I.C is a modular chiptune sound generating system: It can be loaded with various modules with sound chips that were employed in home computers and arcade games through the 80s and 90s.
>By exchanging modules, it can emulate a range of chiptune sound systems. Currently, OPN3-L, OPNA, OPM, and OPL3 are available as sound chip modules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HjqZp9uLwY
>>
>>3569591
In my opinion it's generally better to buy a flashcart and use a player to play the music. It probably costs only slightly more and you get the added benefit of being able to play other roms on the system. The type of set up in your picture works with the YM chips because they're all so similar. Other chips might not be compatible because of different form factors/setups. eg: I fucking dare you to put a SID6581 in a C64 board meant for the 8580. (please don't because it will destroy the SID and they're getting really hard to find).

I know of a few live performance roms for the genesis that can be used with a MIDI controller but I don't know them off the top of my head.
>>
>>3569754
But that's not even a Yamaha chip like all those listed! It's a very useful aberration that such a range of devices used yamaha FM chips.

No OPZ listed though, that's unfortunate. I think some people would like that because it was used in synthesizer keyboards - popular ones, I'm under the impression. Though there was a keyboard with an OPL2 chip too, but OPZ was early with multiple waveform type FM synth.

No OPL4 either. They presumably didn't make many of those. That's a bit of a limit to "using it as a hardware synth", together with the previous.

But besides that, we're left with, what, the general midi chips, amiga sound system and SNES chip? Those aren't even synthesizer chips! Is the SID even one? It's sort of a PSG, eh?
>>
File: earwax.jpg (64KB, 701x467px) Image search: [Google]
earwax.jpg
64KB, 701x467px
>>3569591
If China made a MT-32 clone with a butter DAC. I would buy it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_MT-32#Sound_quality_problems
>>
>>3569838
Ah so you're talking about the YM line only. I thought you meant general retro sound chips. Funny thing is the SID was meant to be the first "synth chip" but Jack Tramel trying to push the C64 out quickly meant they had to drop a bunch of stuff though I think it was still going to be a basic waveform synth. The capability to rout external signals to the filters that no one uses on the SID is an artifact of all this.

Well to make up for going off topic here's a C64 expansion cart that uses OPL2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR5RcXSlKNU
>>
>>3569936
Ahem, not the same poster!
>>
this has an snes module on a youtube video but its not listed on their site
>>
>>3569591
Sort of. I have rigs for testing sound chips. They aren't designed specifically to play chiptunes but they can.

>>3569754
Yeah, I'm not a chiptunesfag either. But the ones I know aren't going to drag a x68k around with them to play some music.
>>
Just download game emulation modules for foobar2000 or winamp. The ripped audio in native format can be found extremely easily and it sounds exactly like the real hardware playing back the music.
>>
File: m1 raidendx__.jpg (426KB, 1234x884px) Image search: [Google]
m1 raidendx__.jpg
426KB, 1234x884px
>>3573304
And for arcade games there is always M1.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.