[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DOS emulation on Raspberry Pi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 12

File: GB-outfinish.jpg (32KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
GB-outfinish.jpg
32KB, 640x480px
I own an overclocked Raspberry Pi 2.
It runs PS1 games quite well, yet 3D DOS games like Daggerfall and Carmageddon work like shit under Dosbox. Will upgrading to RPI 3 fix my problem? How is the performance of N64 and Dreamcast on RPI3? Can I buy some better microcomputer for my purposes? What do you use for emulation? Inb4 500W PC tower.
>>
>>3569468
RPi 3 still won't do it.
Get an x86 board such as http://www.jaguarboard.org/index.php/products/product_show/jaguarboard-industry-first-x86-based.html
>>
>>3569549
>1 GB of RAM
>No SATA
>Intel Atom

For fucks sake! No!
>>
>>3569468
out of curiosity, what display are you using?
>>
File: 20151009_194049.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
20151009_194049.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>3569580
I don't have the gameboy shell. I use a 40 inch Philips display.
>>
>>3569468
Nope, Pi 3 will be real lousy at helping that.

But as to whether you can get another thing like it for DOS games, yup!! There's the 86duinno is suited for that, not sure how the progress has come along, I'm sure there's a lot of very fitting features that aren't there now, but it's an option.

There's also VIA CPU boards out there. I believe on the one hand there are some via-nano boards that still have a PCI instead of a PCIe slot, and on the other there's some older boards out there, I believe even some C3s. EPIA boards are particularly close to Pi form factor, if you can find one. Some C3s or C7s even have S-video.

There's also freescale i.MX-6 SBCs, but that would only be good for source ports, together with console emus.
>>
>>3569615
What GPU?
The problem is that RPI seems to have the most powerful GPU for real 3D. Other SBCs will likely choke PS1 emulation just because of their android tier GPU..
>>
>>3569562
>wants DOS games
Doesn't need SATA and Atom will do just fine for that. Did you even read OP's post?
>>
>>3569648
For $79.00 I can buy 2 Intel Atom Netbooks with 2 GB of ram. All I'm saying is that this Jaguar thing isn't really much of an upgrade, costs twice as much and draws 3 times more power.
>>
>>3569629
Your autism is flaring up. Are you trying to say Android has crap gpu? You can try to peddle that shit, but no one is buying it kid.
>>
>>3569652
Also
>proprietary power adapter
NOPE
>>
>>3569653
My point is I can play Quake3 60 FPS on raspberry PI while I can barely get 15 on Netbook I tested and other Micro computers.
>>
>>3569652
OP asked for a microcomputer.
I get what you are saying, and agree though.
>>
File: 201506171531272562[1].jpg (204KB, 500x433px) Image search: [Google]
201506171531272562[1].jpg
204KB, 500x433px
>>3569468
>Inb4 500W PC tower.
Ookay.. Well that leaves out the best option but I'm unsure if the reason you don't want to do that must be either cost or space. Raspberry Pi was created to be a hobbyist device for performing some simple operations cheap it never ceases to amaze me how many people want to push it to its limit. Do people really believe in open source so strongly? Even if they do they should build something based on Unix.

My own personal choice for something small and inexpensive would be Android though. Second hand "old" Android phones are quite inexpensive and include screens if you're trying to build some portable application like in the OP pic and if you want something brand new that compares very favorably with RPi on all levels check out the "odroid"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQR7TwtLSMs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6uy96CPrZU
>>
>>3569629
That little green add on card is not a GPU AFAIK, just a video card. That board/board combo is specifically of interest for DOS games.

The VIA boards have deltachrome/univhrome/something related, but some of the older boards lying around are probably too weak - also with the CPU.

The i.MX6 boards are the SBCs with the interesting GPU. it's actually desktop openGL compatible. But - how powerful? - that is an important question.
>>
>>3569673
Odroids have better CPU but garbage GPU.
Also, Android is botnet and 99% of Android phones have no HDMI and USB ports. See any problems with that? I'm not throwing away by USB gamepads and buying BT ones to play on a 4 inch screen.
>>
How is the PS3 Linux project going on? Last time I checked SONY destroyed it by firmware update. I believe CELL processor is good enough to emulate anything we would ever need.
>>
what do you guys think of the pine64 for emulation?

2gb ram , 64 bit operating system and runs linux
>>
File: pinefront.jpg (432KB, 800x442px) Image search: [Google]
pinefront.jpg
432KB, 800x442px
>>3569707
forgot pic
>>
>>3569678
>99% of Android phones have no USB ports
You're a fucking idiot. I mean, every single thing you said is wrong but that part is just straight up retarded.
>>
>>3569707
>implying/suggesting it's any different from a Pi3
>>
File: IMG_20161014_182100.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161014_182100.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
>>3569710
Seems a bit underpowered.
I use pic related and it works really well, use it as much for Kodi as I do emulators though.
>>
File: pipine.jpg (641KB, 1000x760px) Image search: [Google]
pipine.jpg
641KB, 1000x760px
>>3569710
It's huge.
Also, MALI 400 is a 2008 GPU. Can it even play 720p video?
>>
>>3569717
I want at least 2 USB ports. How are you going to play your games and charge the phone at the same time? Also, what about the monitor? I'm not playing on a 4 inch screen.
>>
File: 04[1].jpg (149KB, 1202x902px) Image search: [Google]
04[1].jpg
149KB, 1202x902px
>>3569736
>>
>>3569746
Kek.
Stop it anon, you'll make him mad.
>>
>>3569746
You are still forced to use Android. Bootloaders are locked on Samsung devices. You won't compile shit on Android and I won't rewrite all of my software for Android.
>>
File: philz-touch-recovery[1].jpg (69KB, 620x480px) Image search: [Google]
philz-touch-recovery[1].jpg
69KB, 620x480px
>>3569752
>Bootloaders are locked on Samsung devices

>>3569750
Honestly I'm starting to wonder if he's not trolling. Nobody on /vr/ could actually be this ignorant right?
>>
>>3569759
Can you install Debian ARM on it? Won't it overheat under load?
>>
>>3569765
You could, assuming there are drivers for all the hardware but it's much better to just run a custom Android build. Your belief that Android is inherently insecure is fundamentally wrong. You might raise some issues with its i/o but software developers have long since figured out how to all but completely eliminate delay.
>>
>>3569778
>Your belief that Android is inherently insecure is fundamentally wrong
>>
>>3569468
>better microcomputer
lol
>>
>>3569586
Then get a PC you fucking retard.
>>
Found an old half broken Netbook. I'll see how will it work. Firefox is somewhat slow but hey, it runs windows 7!
>>
>>3569707
Nearly raspberry tier underpowered:overpriced ratio. No not want.

>>3569736
Plenty of things let you charge and play at the same time. Many over the same port. Sound like you don't have much experience. My advice is find a phone game your mom also plays and fuck up her save. Then she'll get you your own phone and you can learn.
>>
>>3569468
What video output are you using? If it's SPI (if you're using the GPIO pins, almost definitely), switching to composite or HDMI will net you a good speed boost.

Also, drop the resolution of the pi, and dosbox, to the lowest the game will run at.

Other than that, maybe just accept the fact that doing full x86 virtualization is awful, and there's a reason vmware made billions of dollars doing it before x86 had hardware extensions for it. Seriously, it's one of the worst & hardest CPUs to emulate. The 6502 and the MIPS CPUs are some of the cleanest and easiest to, which is why so many great emulators run on such meager hardware.
>>
>>3569717
>not knowing the difference between USB and microUSB
You must be at least 18 to post here.
>>
>>3569468
For every anon going on about GPU in emulating 3d games in dosbox: for dosbox to use your GPU, it would need to emulate a card those games understood, and translate those calls to OpenGL/open CL/CUDA, depending on the GPU you have. Unless it's got features I've never read about, dosbox doesn't do this. Most of those games came out LONG before 3d cards were the norm, and before there were standardized libraries and drivers for PCs. The rendering was 100% software when these games were new, and the emulation is as well.
>>
>>3569717
Eh. Kindof. You need an adapter cable to use standard USB devices with it, and even then not every android phone/device actually had the right hardware to support it. Any name brand device probably, but I would check it out before buying if that's what you want.

>>3569731
Yes. The pi1 could handle 1080p desktops fine, and even play back 1080p video of it was encoded in a codec the GPU supported in hardware. This is Linux, not windows. Just because it's over 2 years old doesn't mean they stop updating the drivers.
>>
>>3571406
see
>>3569746
>thinking micro USB is not USB
Nearly all modern micro USB ports on phones are also MHL but that doesn't make them not USB either.
>>
>>3571417
I doubt you will find a phone made in the last two years without OTG support but yes of course you should check the specs of any device you're considering buying unless you find it at a thrift store or yard sale for two dollars which it's not that hard to do with years old android phones. They even usually have pictures of naked people on them. Fun!
>>
>>3569468
>>>3571417
> you find it at a thrift store or yard sale for two dollars which it's not that hard to do with years old android phones. They even usually have pictures of naked people on them. Fun!

Are you me?
>>
>>3571415
Oh yeah? How do you know they couldn't pull some other kind of trick, like using the GPU to emulate MMX instructions or even just the FPU. Or DSPs. Emulation does need disproportionately higher processing power. And GPUs are already used for different things, like video decoding, but then they aren't always normal GPUs anyway.
>>
>>3571415
>Unless it's got features I've never read about
>It's got features I've never read about
Well fuck. Time to start doing some reading champ.
>>
>>3571668
Because I know how those tricks work, and know they are finicky to implement, especially in a cross platform way. I also know we were talking about dosbox, not some random emulator in your mind. I also double checked, and the video cards dosbox emulates are all simple 2d video cards, no 3d support.

So fuck off back to /g, where they expect people not to know what they're talking about.
>>
>>3571417
>The pi1 could handle 1080p desktops
I know. Pi uses video core 4 GPU. I was asking about Mali 400 GPU on pine.
>>
>>3571415
Dosbox should emulate Glide. I need voodoo support.
>>
>>3572136
Not the anon your replying to but suggest you triple check because you dun goofed the first two times.
>>
>>3572231
I looked, I didn't see it. If I missed it, please link. It would be a pretty interesting read to go through the implementation.
>>
>>3572265
Google dosbox 3dfx and start there.
>>
>>3569781
>It's true because I believe it!
>>
>>3569710
>>3569731
I have a Pine64. This thing is junk. The fixed resolution of 1080p alone makes this unusable for me.
>>
>>3569586
I love that keyboard
>>
File: moga.jpg (159KB, 970x687px) Image search: [Google]
moga.jpg
159KB, 970x687px
I have a spare obsolete note 3 (and my old 64gb SD card in it) so I just paired it with the Moga.

The Moga can charge as you play, and it can act as an extra 2200mah battery pack when you are not plugged in.

I was goign to sell the note 3 but you get fuck all for them these days, so it is just living out it's days as a handheld emulator.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.