[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What RPGs had the slowest and most boring combat of all time?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

File: btb.jpg (925KB, 1100x863px) Image search: [Google]
btb.jpg
925KB, 1100x863px
What RPGs had the slowest and most boring combat of all time? Games where normal encounters can be measured in minutes, not seconds.
>>
>>3568374
Phantasy Star 2 deserves a mention, the battles are a chore and go by slow as molasses.

Warriors of the Eternal Sun is slow as well, especially at the start.
>>
File: 250px-ArcadiaDC.png (147KB, 250x255px) Image search: [Google]
250px-ArcadiaDC.png
147KB, 250x255px
>>3568374
>>
Is there a battle system whose slowness is warranted because of the strategy involved?

either way, Draggin' Quest and RPGs that use its battle system without doing something new are bottom tier for me
>>
>>3568407
Unless it has an ATB system or timed hits there really is no excuse for a turn-based game to drag its ass along the carpet.
>>
FF7's combat got horribly slow when Knight of the Round became involved. I think it took about 40 minutes to defeat Emerald Weapon, just because of how long Knights of the Round took with each cast.

>>3568403
This. Every attack seemed to take forever. I mainly played that game for the story, anyway.
>>
>>3568418
> I think it took about 40 minutes to defeat Emerald Weapon
KOTR kills Emerald in about 20 minutes.
>>
Septerra Core.
>>
>>3568418
eh, most of VII was set on the fastest speed for me and the battles just flew by
KOTR was boring, but I only used it on EW so it didn't bother me in the long run

but yes, most games should have an option to disable special attack animations. I was thrilled to have this option in Ogre Battle 64
>>
>>3568403
Once you get Lambda Burst and later Omega Psyclone, random battles become trivial as you can outright kill or at least heavily damage most of the enemies on your first turn.
>>
>>3568403
Could not finish the game because of the encounter rate.
>>
>>3568421
I had forgotten about this game. Possibly mental repression. Combat so slow you read a fucking book while waiting for attack animations. Unfortunately, unlike Wizardry 8 there are no patches I know of to speed up combat.
>>
>>3568374
I still can't believe the people who made Beyond the Beyond went on to make Golden Sun.
>>
File: fo2.jpg (349KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
fo2.jpg
349KB, 500x500px
>>3568374
Hands down undisputed
>>
Final Fantasy 8
>>
>>3569405
This

Holy shit did the combat and junction system ruin this game. I loved the characters, locations, story, music, art style, supurb card game, etc. But the combat was such a chore. I played through it twice, each time unable to beat the final form of Ultimecia so I just downloaded the ending (this was back in 56k days and took forver) and said fuck it. I hated, hated, hated the combat system in FF8.
>>
>>3568421
So much this. It's like playing Chrono Trigger in molasses where every single melee attack involves:
1. jumping to target at a slow pace
2. long-ass strike animation
3. repeat step 1 in reverse to go back to your place

Oh, And then add gigantic dungeons with lots of encounters. I don't think I'd have the patience or time to replay it again.

My worst experience with Playstation Final Fantasy was 9, PAL version. They really polished the character battle animations but it seemed a lot slower than 7 or even 8 as a result.
>>
>>3569401
Heh I thought I was the only one. I went into that game thinking it was going to be just like Diablo, so I ended up being pretty damn disappointed.
>>
Wizardry 8. Without the fast combat patch its unbearable.
>>
>>3568419
>KOTR kills Emerald in about 20 minutes.

Ominislash and Doom of the Living will do it in less
>>
>>3568695

Why? Golden Sun is awful. Camelot is the worst without Sega holding their leash. That's not a surprise at all.
>>
>>3569958

I'm replaying CT with a fast forward button and its great
>>
Star Ocean 2 was great, but spell animations took so long that I turned them into a drinking game. I will probably never play ff7.
>>
>>3568421

I forgot all about this game. I either had this game or played demo. I actually think I liked it.
>>
>>3569968

It is better than Diablo.
>>
>>3570457
In what way?
>>
>>3570457

One of the greatest RPGs of all time, great dialogue, great world, awesome skill system. Diablo is fun sure but nothing to Fallout good.
>>
>>3569982
still faster than JRPGs
>>
>>3569419
Drawing spells from enemies was so god-damn-boring. They should've made the enemies DROP spells on kill, with a bigger drop for critical hit kills, or for fast kills. Or for using the right elemental magic on the enemy.
Passive drawing was a bad idea. Maybe timed button presses to draw more magic? I don't know. Just not passive waiting.
>>
>>3570928
>They should've made the enemies DROP spells on kill, with a bigger drop for critical hit kills, or for fast kills.

Or simply let the player draw 99 spells in a single attempt ih his magic stat was high enough
seriously, why stop at 9 spells in battle when you can draw over 9 from field draw points?
>>
>>3570215
Yeah, it's almost a blessing that offensive magic is complete garbage in SO2. Thankfully the healing and support spells have fairly quick animations.
>>
PSX ports of FF4,5,6 and CT.
>>
Of the games I played, Legend of Dragoon was probably the biggest offender. Had all the same problems with load times that other playstation titles had, followed along with the meme of making animations absurdly long and flashy to try to outdo the competition, plus even the additions were long and repetitive once you saw them more than like 5 times. You couldn't even look away or stop paying attention like you can during magic attacks you know are long, you had to time button presses to go along with it.

I'm sure there are much worse out there, I haven't revisited old RPGs and played through ones I missed out on.
>>
File: Xenosaga_Episode_II.jpg (85KB, 640x905px) Image search: [Google]
Xenosaga_Episode_II.jpg
85KB, 640x905px
>>3568385
>of all time
I take this as license to bring up something not retro, but Xenosaga II really does have the worst battle system I've ever experienced. And if you haven't played it then this shit needs to be explained in detail First of all, normal attacks do almost nothing for damage. If you stick to normal attacks, you'll be at that battle for like eight minutes. So how does one do significant damage? Through a combo system of high attacks, low attacks, and air attacks. Each enemy is weak to a specific combo and it's only once its hit with it do its defenses break. BUT, you can only make combos if you have enough turns banked. And banking turns is exactly as it sounds - You have to sit out a round to save up a point, and since most enemies require a 3-hit combo, that means that's two whole rounds you're sitting on your ass while the enemies beat on you. Every. Single. Battle. It's only after those two banking rounds that you get to unleash hell, and you better hope you kill them then or else it's back to two more rounds of banking turns. And of course there's no way you can beat bosses after just one cycle of banking, so most of them are desperate struggles between banking turns and keeping your ass alive - it's a quintessential example of artificial difficulty in a game. God that battle system is so bad. I'm getting mad again just as I'm typing this out.
>>
Persona 2. Jesus are encounters a drag. Quite a departure from SMT 1/2
>>
>>3571025
Xenosaga II was just bad overall. The first was a decent RPG that set a good foundation for a sequel, but the second was just such a poor game.

The third game is one of the best RPGs on the PS2 though
>>
>>3571039
Agreed. it's too bad too. It's because of 2 that they had to cut Xenosaga down from its originally-planned six games down to a trilogy.
>>
>>3571043
Let's be fair, an entire storyline over six games might not be the best idea.
>>
>>3571050
Perhaps, but the story consolidation in III was very noticeable. 4 or 5 entries would have been ideal.
>>
>>3570016
Are you on drugs? Golden Sun was easily the best non-remake RPG on the system. I've replayed it several times and still find it enjoyable.
>>
>>3571068
Keep drinking that kool-aid
>>
>>3571057
>>3571057
so it was Return of the Jedi for the series?
>>
>>3571112
A more accurate analogy would be Part 2 of the Star Trek Voyager episode Future Tense.
>>
>>3571068
I wouldn't say it's awful, but I also wouldn't place Golden Sun amongst the top ten non-remake JRPGs available on the GBA. It's well polished, but it's also painfully generic and unambitious.
>>
>>3570928
>Drawing

What. FF8 is beyond broken, you might draw spells for 5 minutes in the beginning of the game but you'll never have to draw a thing besides GFs once you get Card-Mod.
>>
>Gameplay is biased towards magic use
>Ranged attacks and spells miss 50% of the time
>Ranged attacks and spells are slower the further you're away from the enemy
>Pointless tactical movements
>Melee characters take up to two turns to reach the enemies in the front row
>Only one melee character available in the party for the majority the game
>>
>>3571804
Persona 1 does the tactical movement thing right
>>
Koudelka

Jesus fuck I love that game but it's slow as fuck.
>>
>>3570928
>They should've made the enemies DROP spells on kill
They did. What do you think those magic RF abilities GFs learn are for?
>>
Digimon World 2, some boss battles can take literally 15-20 minutes
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.