[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which is better, Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask? Why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 9

File: treasure shop lady.jpg (36KB, 710x450px) Image search: [Google]
treasure shop lady.jpg
36KB, 710x450px
Which is better, Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask? Why?
>>
Both are worth playing.

Play OOT first, then MM. Great experience.
>>
>>3566745
Majora's Mask always felt like an expansion to me, probably because of all the reused assets and the fact it only has four dungeons.
>>
Depends on what you're into.

Majora's Mask has more to do in the overworld, side quests are so fleshed out, and some of them are genuinely fun to do.. The characters are also a lot more interesting. But there's only four true dungeons, and in my opinion, they are too long and tedious.

Ocarina of Time has great dungeons, but the story is kind of generic unless you dig at the lore with the mask of truth and NPC word of mouth and just draw your own conclusions. The side quests are also few in number and most are just fetch quests and collectathons.

I think Ocarina of Time is great for casual comfy play and speed running, while Majora is something you get into for the long haul.
>>
>>3566762
There's way more sidequesting in-between dungeons though.
>>
For me, the most interesting things in Zelda are the dungeons and boss designs. The overworlds are fun, but nothing compares to the feeling of entering a new dungeone, finding the dungeon items, and finally going beyond the big key door to face the boss. So, the more dungeons the better. 4 just isn't enough. Really hoping that Breath of the Wild has good dungeons and doesn't abandon that in favor of the highly touted open world.
>>
I prefer dungeon crawling to talking to NPC's so OoT for me.
>>
I prefer MM. Lots of endearing moments and characters. I quite enjoy the idea of masks. Even the love story I liked.
>>
I prefer the darker tone of MM.
>>
>>3566745

MM has great characters and an endearing storyline but overall it just feels a little too silly and outrageous. OoT has better dungeons and a better overarching quest/story in my opinion, as well as young/adult Link and the time travel aspect.

OoT is the better game for sure, but MM is a very very good game.
>>
Majorca's Mask is a masterpiece you can pick up and play any time

OOT is an epic from beginning to end

it's like asking if chocolate is better than vanilla
>>
>>3566752
this/10
>>
>>3566817

Now this I don't get.
MM seemed equally dark, if not slightly more light hearted than OOT to me.

They even managed to make the spooky scary area less unsettling than the Shadow Temple by having the Redeads dance around, have the mummies ask for snacks and toys, and the skeletons bicker like a bunch of grouches.

I like Majora's Mask, but the creepypasta culture around it bugs the crap out of me.
>>
Majora's Mask is better. The overworld is more streamlined with a lot more to do. There are more sidequests, resetting time lets you replay the boss battles and do quests multiple times, the masks change the gameplay far more interesting (bunny hood for running, zora for swimming, goron for rolling), the dungeons are, on average, far more interesting in design, the skultula houses are more fun than scattered skultulas, the game has better textures (expansion pack), the items are more useful and more fun to use.
>>
>>3567264
it's the repeating and impending doom surrounded the game. plus it deals with death more directly.
>>
Both blow chunks.
Majoras mask is a nightmare to replay with all that unskipable exposition.
Oot is just boring.
Both aged like milk.
>>
>>3566745

Majora's Mask is just a beautiful work of art. I really love it - I still haven't found the proper word to describe it. It's more than eerie, more beautiful than creepy, more intense than melancholy, and more engaging than dark.
>>
>>3567329

But the one on screen death in the game is done in such a silly way that I can't see how it's any more dark than what happened to the Deku Tree.

As for the repeating, I just feel like time travel just puts a huge safety net to fall back on.
>>
File: Deku_Butlers_Son.png (125KB, 500x261px) Image search: [Google]
Deku_Butlers_Son.png
125KB, 500x261px
>>3567335
this one is sadder desu
>>
>>3567335
The time travel is the eeriest part. You have to relive everything every time. It doesn't end. You're forced to see the happy citizens become scared shitless every time, and until you beat it, you can't save them.
>>
>>3567338

I guess. I don't find myself speaking to all the NPCs before going back in time though, I know that every time things get hazy I can just go right back to day 1 until things are peachy again. There aren't any actual stakes when you can literally rewind time.
>>
>>3566745
Did that chick want to fuck Link?
>>
>>3567331
Great job, keep it up.
>>
>>3567371
Only Zora Link.
>>
File: 1376339788181.jpg (13KB, 416x297px) Image search: [Google]
1376339788181.jpg
13KB, 416x297px
Majora's Mask would not have had nearly the psychological effect that it did had you not played Ocarina of Time.
>>
>>3566745
Well, call me pretentious, but Majora's Mask would have been better as an M rated game.
>>
>>3567412
I'm not going to call you pretentious. You're still wrong.
>>
>>3567406

That's not really an argument, though. Godfather Part II wouldn't have had nearly the same effect had you not seen The Godfather first, yet the sequel is the better movie.
>>
>>3569114

Bad analogy, since Godfather II wasn't actually better than the first.

As for the OP, I can see why some people might enjoy Majora's Mask, but I find it incredibly odd that there was a noticeable uptick in people who thought OoT was overrated after that Sequelitis video in 2014, and lots more people waxing nostalgic for Majora's Mask after that Polygon article from 2015. Makes you wonder who here legitimately thinks those things and who is just following trends.
>>
>>3566745
Why the fuck are OoT and MM babby's first Zelda game?
No I didn't have a N64. I had a computer to play games on during that generation. Don't see why people consider these two the absolute best of the Zelda series.
>>
>>3567335
Terminia is just a trippy place.
>>
>>3569145

Because Ocarina of Time was the first Zelda game in 3D and it was also incredibly cinematic back when that was impressive on a video game console.

I don't know many people who were interested in Majora's Mask, though. Everybody was more excited for the Dreamcast to pay attention to a second N64 Zelda with copy-pasted assets.
>>
>>3567350
The time travel permits you to experience how everyone lives. When you help everyone you get to know them on a more personal level in a way that few games accomplish.
>>
>>3569145
>I didn't have a N64
Well there you go. In 1998 there was nothing like OoT; a massive 3D area to explore with day/night cycles. It was impressive, coming from 16-bit games, early PS1 games and corridor shooters/isometric games on the PC, nobody had really seen that before, and certainly not as polished.

It might not seem as impressive to people now but it was a big deal back in the day.
>>
>>3566745
Majora's Mask had a bitching story and world. But I've always thought the dungeons were weak and the objectives leading up to the dungeons dragged on.

Ocarina's world is plenty of fun, but generic. Every dungeon is great and kind of comfy. (It could be nostalgia, but I'd totally visit a real Forest Temple or go for a swim in the Water Temple.)

Overall, I enjoy replaying Ocarina again and again. Majora's Mask needs at least a year between playthroughs.
>>
OoT. MM is a Zelda game for people who hate Zelda.
>>
>>3569173
He had a computer though. 3D areas much bigger than Hyrule were readily available to him. Ultima Online wasn't 3D but man, it was massive.
>>
>>3567335
time travel was awesome

My favorite was the side quest with the bomb bag lady, second place is the milk bandit mini game

Those were things that HAPPENED in your very first play, that it dawns on you when it comes up that shit happens when you were fucking around with the stupid kids and the moon tear thing, I mean Chrono Trigger had some awesome spanning eras, but this was so much more direct, it was cool

Every area was like that, the ranch gave the weirdest vibes because of the alien thing, THAT quest freaked me out as a kid, I immediately used the slow time song when the invasion started.

>Trying to fight Skull Kid with every item without all the giants
You know you fucked up.
>>
>>3569208

I've been reading this thread and reading this I finally have to say something - I don't really understand why people enjoy replaying Ocarina in 2016. It might have been impressive in 1998, hell, I loved the game back then, but looking back the game has some pretty serious flaws. And maybe you guys can help me love Zelda again.

It purveys itself as an adventure and exploration game, but the game leads you by the nose from location to location and outside of that path it's actually incredibly barren. Combat is pretty banal and uninteresting, and the dungeons are only interesting if you actually forgot how to get through them from last time, and even then some dungeons are so linear that it takes the fun out of exploring them all over again.

To be honest, I don't actually have a lot of affinity for Zelda anymore. I actually found Link to the Past pretty enjoyable, but got stuck in the dark world and lost my save. Wind Waker evoked the same barren feeling that OoT did, except it did so in a much more obvious manner due to the ocean setting and the only interesting bits being little islands. I got to the last dungeon, realized that there was only 5 dungeons in the entire game and that I had the triforce quest to go and decided it wasn't worth finishing. Twilight Princess gave me an incredible sense of deja-vu with all the hand-holding and I never got very far in it. I played some of Oracle of Ages, but I remember nothing about it. I also played Zelda 1, but found the game inscrutable.

So if I was going to start playing Zelda again, where should I start?
>>
>>3569240
>3D areas much bigger than Hyrule
Name some pre-1998 ones, please.
>>
>>3569249
>but the game leads you by the nose from location to location
For the main path it does. But you have plenty of freedom for sidequests and spider hunting.
And when you turn into an adult you can play dungeons out of order, but they do urge you in a single direction.

>Combat is pretty banal and uninteresting,
I guess? I don't really think if it when I play. I try to use items as much as I can instead of just using the sword for everything.

>and the dungeons are only interesting if you actually forgot how to get through them from last time
Again, I think they're comfy. Like it's very easy for me to get immersed in them and appreciate the structural design.
Again again, this sounds like major nostalgia goggles. But it's kind of the same feeling of walking through a forest or visiting an old building.

>So if I was going to start playing Zelda again, where should I start?
Idk what to say. Oracle of Seasons is my absolute favorite game, but Zelda is best played when you can get immersed in the world instead of looking at it like a game. Any of the retro games + Wind Waker and Twilight Princess can be immersive if you try hard enough.
>>
Majoras mask because it wasn't just a 3d link to the past.
>>
>>3569137
People have been calling OOT Overrated for ages anon, but now that some E-celeb made a meme, it gave them some ammo to parrot in every conversation about it.
>>
>>3569252
Really? Many FPS games from mid 90s had massive 3D areas to explore. In fact I think all of them had it. There's also The Elder Scrolls II, Myst, Postal, Thief? Hyrule is not even particularly big, isn't Goemon bigger and released before Ocarina?
>>
>>3569249
>I don't really understand why people enjoy replaying Ocarina in 2016

Self imposed challenges, speed running.

I wanted to get through the game with 3 hearts and no deaths. I got really good at speed running everything up to the shadow temple.

I won't say I'm not super burnt out on OOT though, it's no fun to play vanilla at all anymore. I much rather play Wind Waker or Twilight Princess, since I can at least have fun fucking with enemies, and I've not completely memorized the dungeon layouts.
>>
>>3566894
Chocolate is better than vanilla.
>>
>>3569306
strawberry > vanilla > chocolate
>>
I liked MM more. Those three short days had a lot of content in them and the game felt more alive because of it. I also liked how the townsfolk tried to confront their mortality, it was charming in a weird way.

Everybody should play OoT first though. I can't say which is better but OoT sets the stage nicely for MM.
>>
>>3569319
You are no longer allowed to post here.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWVYarlWo9U
>>
>>3569319
>strawberry
>Vanilla and chocolate were widespread by 1775-1780
>strawberry was 1813

Not retro, reported.
>>
>>3569293
>corridor shooters
>massive areas
But I'll give you some of the others.

>>3569319
What a faggot.
>>
>>3569249
At least you mentioned Windwaker, that was my exact sentiment playing it. It was so fast, and the fact that the ice and fire caves were just half dungeons made me feel like the game was a beta.

I can't share your feelings about TP or Oracle's. TP was reverse Windwaker, you started on this scavenger hunt that was annoying, but it had dungeons inbetween, and the weird pseudo LTtP callback aside, had me guessing throughout the whole game. You lose your intro three dungeon items, you have areas utterly inaccessible without taking into consideration the techno zones, something always happens to someone etc compare to Windwaker, where you literally had to wait for mail for anything new to happen.

>leads you by the nose
>Zelda 1 is inscrutable
If you want something more like 1, Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, A Link Between Worlds

If you want something more like OoT, Majorca's Mask, Phantom Hourglass, Minish Cap

Skyward Sword and Zelda 2 are either going to make you hate or love the franchise
>>
>>3569264
>you can play dungeons out of order
Someone else confirm this

Because I don't think that's possible. Every dungeon always had some kerfuffle with the sages that led up to the dungeon itself
>>
Theyre both shit.

Horrible music
Terrible character models
Awful gameplay

This is coming from someone that loves nintendo.
>>
>>3569472
>This is coming from someone that loves nintendo.
Are we supposed to be impressed by that? Do you think being loyal to Nintendo gives your baseless and vague criticism more credibility?

Hint: It doesn't.
>>
>>3569472
Hey look, it's this guy again. Hey guy! Keep up the good work!
>>
>>3569472
(you)
>>
>>3569465

definitely possible to beat them in almost any order you please. same goes for accessing them, albeit to a lesser extent. i could prove it but using google would be faster for you
>>
File: 01-item-graph.png (114KB, 560x720px) Image search: [Google]
01-item-graph.png
114KB, 560x720px
>>3569465
You need the hookshot to enter the Forest, Fire and Water Temples.

But you can run straight to Zora's Domain or Goron City right after becoming an adult.
There's no story related road blocks until the shadow temple.
>>
>>3569465
Forest- 1st-4th
Fire- 1st-4th
Water- 1st-4th
Shadow- 4th or 5th
Spirit- 3rd, 4th or 5th

To do the Shadow you have to have done the forest, fire and water and to do the spirit you need the items from the fire and water. Although you could just get the treasures from those two, leave and do the spirit first if you really wanted to. But with glitches you could probably do them in any order
>>
>>3569497
With glitches and sequence breaking, you can play any dungeon in any order as Child or Adult Link.

Example: The first thing you could do starting a new game as Child Link is Gerudo Fortress, then Water Temple, then Jabu Jabu Belly as Adult Link.

Without glitches, OoT is fairly non-linear.

With glitches, absolutely nothing is off limits.
>>
>>3569497

i don't recall needing the longshot and megaton hammer to enter the spirit temple....
>>
>>3569456
>I can't share your feelings about TP or Oracle's

I wasn't saying Oracles was bad, I was saying that I literally remember nothing about it.

Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>3567406
This is false. I played through Majora's Mask as a kid before I ever touched OoT, and it still had a big psychological effect on me.
>>
>>3569496
>>3569497
>>3569506
>>3569507
What I don't understand is why they felt it necessary to block off Zora River. Like, that wall of rocks that you cant' get past without bombs. It makes no sense, it looks like shit, you can very easily tell it was put there for literally no reason but to keep you from doing dungeons out of order.

Why? Why would they do that? That stupid wall of boulders legit pisses me off. The game probably wouldn't have such an undeserved reputation for linearity if not for that shit right fucking there (and the fact that Navi keeps trying to push you into going to the dungeons in the "correct" order).
>>
>>3566772
majora has a built in timer for speedrunning I'm surprised two cycle glitchless isn't a category
>>
>>3570137
You would spend a lot of time pause buffering and stalling text boxes.
>>
File: FedoraHasSpoken.jpg (42KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
FedoraHasSpoken.jpg
42KB, 480x640px
End of story.
>>
>>3567335
I hate to be the guy to use this kind of statement, but I think you might just be autistic son.
Majoras mask overall tone is darker and eerier because of how a lot of the ambience and subtleties play into the madness. Things like the anju sidequest where they are in love but get torn apart because of the curse, only to have to embrace eachother in love on the final day as the moon comes to murder them once they find out the truth. Or like the father scientist who was turned into a gibdo. Even the entire ikana canyon is like straight up a zone of pure death. Nothing but ghosts and graves. Ocarina of time is more in your face with the "oh no ganon gonna kill us oh my god the world is so bad", but majora plays on the atmosphere and builds a sense of dread through world building. You could almost call it a weakness, because it requires you to dig into the meat of the game and fuck around with a lot of the sidequests, but I think that just makes it more effective and more of a truly uncomfortable experience.
>>
>>3569173
>Well there you go. In 1998 there was nothing like OoT
What is daggerfall?
>>
>>3569293
>Goemon bigger and released before Ocarina?
Yeah and so were games like mechwarrior.
>>
I preferred Majora's Mask. Ocarina is great if you want more Zelda, but MM was like something else entirely. Grim atmosphere and weird situations.
>>
>>3570362
No listen, fuck off with your "sub text".

Dark is ghosts and zombies and blood and a bad ass satan anime wearing black impaling your waifu.

I actually have autism ok? I never interact with other humans, and you expect me to be able to understand shit like what you're talking about?

Fuck off you normie piece of shit.
>>
>>3570426
w a w
>>
>>3570426
>Dark is ghosts and zombies and blood and a bad ass satan anime wearing black impaling your waifu.
Dark is unsettling themes of melancholy, hopelessness, futility, and depravity.

I have actual -diagnosed- autism and I understand that.
>>
>>3566745
>tried to get behind her using cheats
>they didn't model her lower half
Fuck me sideways.
>>
OoT because it's a more linear and tighter game.

Never enjoyed the 3 day limit aspect of MM.
>>
>>3570296
I thought Amish people don't play video games.
>>
File: 1348836872019.gif (799KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1348836872019.gif
799KB, 320x240px
>>3570892
>OoT
>because it's a more linear
>>
>>3570368
Fucking truth.
>>
>>3566745
I can't really decide which one I like best even though my gut feeling tells me it's Majoras Mask. I love the sub-quests and how the game world felt a lot less static. NPC's would move around and your actions could have consequences on other quests which I really loved.The general atmosphere is also a lot weirder and thicker than OoT.

Ocarina had a lot going for it as well though, it focused more on dungeons and the core gameplay.

>>3569145
My first Zelda game was Zelda 2, which I really liked playing as well. I never played the original until 12 years ago. But I still think my favorite is MM, with the Minish Cap as second. Don't be so quick to judge people, you won't hear me moaning about FF7 babbies either.
>>
I feel like they're both pretty different but similar. Ocarina feels like there's less things for you to do and explore, leaving the dungeons as the main focus. The dungeons are better in this than Majoras Mask, although I didn't like Shadow and Spirit for basically dividing the dungeons in half and making them extremely linear and simple to complete. Still a very well made and strong game in terms of story progression, themes, pacing, game difficulty. It's like a video game interpretation of a folk tale.

Majoras Mask feels like more of the same, but there's way more NPC interaction, sidequests, and more interesting themes that deviates the game. There's also certain quests that are available only according to the time of the day. For example, the civilian will finish breaking the boulder to Romani Ranch, but when you get there the ghosts will have already taken the cow.

So, to sum it up, MM has more interesting themes and the interactivity between helping NPCs and time make for a more unique. On the other hand, Ocarina feels more traditional, simple, but more well-made with better dungeons, bosses, and mostly strict story progression. Overall, I'd say Ocarina is the better game. but I still like Majora a lot, atleast for 5th gen Zelda.
>>
>>3569506
The kind of bullshit required to do everything out of order in such a degree is legit not possible unless you know exactly what you're setting out to do and have in depth knowledge of glitches, and the skill to abuse them. All of that takes a lot of practice.
>>
It's hard to classify one as 'better', because the word better implies a subjective point of view.

OoT plays much more linearly, carries more dungeons and sticks to much more of the classic Zelda lore. It's dungeons are beautifully designed, and the entire game doesn't seem to skip a beat from start to finish. It's a beautiful game, and pretty much tops the list when it comes to classic gameplay.

Majora's Mask conversely, is quite the opposite. It strays away from the standard Zelda lore and offers its' own unique story and elements, most notably the 3-day time system which is still to this day a pretty unique property in gaming as well as the entire system of using different masks to progress through the game. Another large difference is the amount and quality of MM's side-quests, the Bomber's Notebook for example. The required use of a variety of different masks as part of the game's storyline is another cool property of the game that isn't seen in many other games.

MM has fewer dungeons than OoT, but what I feel a lot of people tend to overlook is that MM makes up for that in the amount of required sidequests and other things that you need to do in-between dungeons that kinda fill that gap such as having to teleport across the overworld and altering time constantly. OoT is a little easier in terms of difficulty, but that's mostly due to it's linearity with the game practically telling you what to do when you're not in a dungeon.

Outside of sharing the same protagonist and game engine, they're entirely different games both with their own amazing qualities.

From a purely objective standpoint, factoring in it's Zelda lore, it's linearity, it's beyond beautiful dungeon designs; I'd have to say OoT is probably the "better" game. Personally, though, I'd take MM's uniqueness and dark storyline over OoT any day of the week.
>>
>>3566745
Majoras is dopest
>>
File: 1413172764667.jpg (22KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1413172764667.jpg
22KB, 480x480px
>>3570659
They literally did, you don't even have to cheat to see it, you can just get right up against the counter and go into first-person.

What compels you to tell lies like this?
>>
>>3567406
>psychological effect
Sorry I'm not a fucking autist, so Majora's Mask didn't have any profound life changing psychological effects on me.
>>
>>3567406
Jokes on you I only rented OoT and didn't get far in it until much later because my brothers were hogging it. We bought MM and I played the shit out of it, probably my most played n64 game.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.