[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In the early 90s I played a dungeons and dragons arcade game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

In the early 90s I played a dungeons and dragons arcade game in the arcade and brought about twenty dollars in quarters. We got farther than we ever got. We got to this boss that is a giant dragon, that shoots out fire and killed us so easily. That was the end. Does anyone know what game that was, and how to kill that dragon? And how close were to the end?
>>
Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara ... a really great 4-player brawler. Playable in arcades and also ported to Saturn, Playstation 3, Xbox 360. You can also MAME it.

The dragon sounds like it is either the last boss, or an alternate path for an optional side boss (about 1 stage off from the last boss). Hit the dragon on the head, there are many ways to cheese kill, like Large Burning Oils being my favorite to tear through almost anything. For the instant death breaths of fire ... you either had to dash to the opposite side or if it is the main fullscreen one, there are switches which activate stone barriers to hide behind for the duration of the attack (don't be so stupid to move out from the cover during the attack either and just stay put).
>>
>>3566156
>>3566146

Worth noting also is that if you can bait the dragon to use their breath attack 3 times in the battle, they can't use the breath attack anymore(D&D rules). This applies to any dragon in both games, btw.
>>
File: flamewing.jpg (57KB, 700x408px) Image search: [Google]
flamewing.jpg
57KB, 700x408px
>>3566146

In the first game (Tower of Doom) the red dragon is the result of taking the wrong path.

They give you two chances to back away from the fight with flamewing (the dragon
s name). The battle is basically "Empty your pockets of quarters because you fucked up" kind of thing. In solo play you are absolutely fucked because the boss needs teamwork to take it down (He only targets one character at time).

You are supposed to take the other road and fight the beholder boss instead.
>>
>>3566235
wow it was definitely this one, because the fire was impossible to defeat. I always thought it was a scam that they made him impossible to suck up all your coins
>>
>>3566275

He is beatable but his head is not an easy fight obviously. Most people in the arcade beat it by:
>cold spell, magic missile, and lightning bolt
>die to replenish spells
>repeat
>after spending enough money the dragon will die

It is possible to beat with skill but it has a lot of different attacks (ground slam, claw slash, claw crush, bite, avalanche, casts fireball spells, plus the auto-kill fire). The fire can actually be avoided if you make it to the edge of the screen before he breathes. There are also safespots for the avalanche.

If you know all the safe spots you can solo it without dying, but in arcades a the time very few people could do it out of just trial and error due to the cost. Most people only ever fought the dragon once, if ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQog1aNIhrQ
>>
>>3566324
this game looks awesome. any chance any games like this for the ps1?
>>
>>3567337
Steam has Mystara (sequel to Tower of Doom). Also Saturn received a port of Mystara as well.
>>
>>3566235
>the red dragon is the result of taking the wrong path.
No, they just give you the option saying that Red Dragon is too difficult and blabla. However the Beholder route is actually harder, Red Dragon is somewhat cheeseable if you have arrows or magic spells, and you replenish all your HP before the dragon unlike Beholder route.

Tower of Doom is a doable game to 1cc, plus if you do you get a secret ending.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.