[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/rhh/ Retro Handheld Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 11

File: 3658256925692569.jpg (269KB, 960x591px) Image search: [Google]
3658256925692569.jpg
269KB, 960x591px
XXXL edition

This is the thread in which we discuss comfy portable game systems.

Discuss old handheld systems be they from Nintendo, Sega, Atari or any obscure off brand, as well as LCD games. Portable consoles like the Turbo Express, Nomad can be discussed as hardware, though game discussion belongs in their respective consoles' threads. Discussing clones are also welcome so long as the other criteria are met.

Discussion of handheld repairs, mods and aftermarket add-ons are also welcome, though for more in-depth repair advice the repair general is recommended.

Handheld emulator boxes (Dingoo, JXD S7800B, modded PSP) are a gray area and should be discussed only in regards to their use for the emulation of retro games.

This edition's game recommendation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4DZcWbFZCc

Previous thread: >>3524416
>>
>>3565903

Gameboy XL? Looks only slightly larger than the Atari Lynx.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (21KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
21KB, 1280x720px
>>3565931
The Lynx wasn't that hard to move around as long as your cutoff denim vest had extra deep inner pockets.
>>
>>3565903
Ben Hell
>>
File: P1010076.jpg (96KB, 1024x768px)
P1010076.jpg
96KB, 1024x768px
>>3565962
Ben Hell's latest creation
>>
Is there a recommended seller of consolized GameGear systems (that output RGB)?

The titles for the system are everywhere around me really cheap, the stores keep building a larger and larger stock of them (probably because I heard that GameGear capacitors die, so more and more dead systems with libraries needing liquidation).

I don't need to play on the go, so a nice home console will do. I already have a dedicated emulation machine so please do not suggest that.
>>
File: 78326_original_large[1].jpg (15KB, 383x480px) Image search: [Google]
78326_original_large[1].jpg
15KB, 383x480px
Like a year ago I shelled out $15 at a thrift store for a 19" native 640x480 LCD with component inputs and I still haven't really found a use for it. Maybe I should build a giant PCE-LT and wallow in impenetrable levels of obscurity

>>3566136
You may be better off with a GenesisMegadrive flash cart. They will also run SMS games and most GG games are also available as SMS games. Many of the GG exclusives have been modded to run on SMS hardware

http://www.smspower.org/Hacks/GameGearToMasterSystem

You might still collect GG games and own an unmodified GG console but for playing on your CRT you'll probably find the Genesis+Flash+SMS/Modded roms to be a cheaper more reliable option at this point.
>>
File: Comfy_at_this_time_of_the_year.jpg (695KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Comfy_at_this_time_of_the_year.jpg
695KB, 2592x1944px
>>3566160
Thanks for the link! Great to know!

I do not have a GameGear, but the prospect of so many cheap and potentially great games all around me has tempted me. Plus I saw this video and was pretty envious: https://youtu.be/FiJL27Jy-rI

Also I wish I had the technical expertise to replace the screen of pic related with a more modern LCD.
>>
>>3566251
You're that guy that found the thrift store turbo express I've been searching for ever since my "friend" sold mine for drug money in 1994 and now you're not happy with basically the best screenthat was available on a handheld for the entire 90s? Fuck that.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?253620-Turboexpress-LCD-mod
>>
File: Connectable_to_my_Dreamcast.jpg (623KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Connectable_to_my_Dreamcast.jpg
623KB, 2592x1944px
>>3566349
Sadly I cannot view the images, I am not a member of the forum.

You have nothing to worry about since I got it in a bundle with a TurboDuo with a whole bunch of games back in the 96 to 98 timeframe (can only remember it was before I got a Dreamcast, but after I had a Saturn). The TurboExpress was my first ever handheld, recently my friend gifted me pic as my 3rd. [Second is a PSP, because I wanted to play Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire and Rondo of Blood while being broke as I cannot afford them for said Duo]

However, you are right that it may be strange to deface what it historically is, because I already plug up the Duo into the framemeister RGB style, so I can already get a modern LCD to display its games. I do have fond memories of a road trip playing SF2' and Ninja Spirit and the screen was more than sufficient. Your convincing words of my nostalgia persuaded me not to proceed. All the images of Ben Heck mods just got me thinking of a consolized GameGear and with newer screens on phones made me think what might be possible with an Express.
>>
File: catsplosion.gif (2MB, 300x262px)
catsplosion.gif
2MB, 300x262px
>3566349

Haha, no man, thats me. And that things caps are done. Im working with a local gameshop to try to find someone to fix it..you can look up the fix on youtube and I have nowhere near that skill. Makes the GGear cap replacement look like a cakewalk.

Yeah it turned out to be bittersweet, since the caps are blown on it.

but what ever the fuck >3566160 posted with that weird 'pc engine handheld' fuck i want that thing too.
>>
>>3566743
Yeah those are both me. Doesn't it just get "soft sound" from the caps going? There are lots of dudes online who do cap jobs but it'll cost you like sixty bucks. I had been looking into it for my model 1 Sega CD before I found my X'Eye.
>>
>>3566759

Im not sure what you mean by 'soft sound'. when I turn it on, you see the warmness of the backlight, but in the center of the screen no picture comes on (pixels stay off), and the other pixels come on, but have this off-black color. no sound, contrast doesnt do anything. tried with multiple games.

As i said, its much harder to do the caps on these than game gears, check the youtube vid. so I dont want to ship it off to some rando, or give it someone that has never done it before. Thats why im hoping to find a local, experienced tech that can do it.
>>
>>3566780
I'm sure it's just because they're surface mount caps. Honestly it's quite surprising that GGs have barrel caps but I guess that's the difference between 1989 and 1992. Sega CD has surface caps as well. Just prowl around the forums, I'm sure you'll find someone with multiple recent positive feedback specifically on TG-E cap jobs. Sucks that it actually kills the screen. Have you seen if you still get a decent composite signal from the multi-out? If so you could just swap in one of those backup cam monitors yourself like the guy in the spoilered link I posted did.
>>
>>3566251
>>3566349
That screen is pretty good anon, I'd just emulate instead of modding if you're looking for the best way to play on the go.
>>
>>3566447
SNK didn't have the third party support Nintendo and Sega had, so most of the NGPC library was SNK games, and they were generally good games.
>>
File: DCM-347.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DCM-347.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
Not there anymore, but the Nintendo store in NYC had a sweet handheld display, some pretty cool older stuff. There was even a half melted Pocket that still worked that was used in the Gulf War.
>>
>>3565903
>manlytears plays his gameboy
>>
>>3569541
>Thalf melted Pocket that still worked that was used in the Gulf War
>Pocket
>Gulf War

Get your karmawhoring facts right.
>>
File: bombed-gameboy.jpg (32KB, 450x449px) Image search: [Google]
bombed-gameboy.jpg
32KB, 450x449px
>>3569541
It's a half melted DMG, not the Pocket. The Pocket wouldn't be out until a few years later.

I did get a chance to see it when it was on display in their museum area though. It was running Tetris just like in this picture.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (427KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
427KB, 2560x1440px
So apparently it is possible to build a Gameboy Zero using 100% aftermarket parts without harming an original gameboy. It looks like it might be an interesting project, although I have no idea how much it costs. It might be cheaper just to buy a JXD if the goal is to have a portable emulator box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV-W23lONI4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM3eNAOCphk

Still not sure how I feel about the whole "new thing that looks like an old thing" concept it but it's at least pretty neat.
>>
>>3569541
Why did they remove it?
>>
File: protoboxes1.jpg (95KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
protoboxes1.jpg
95KB, 500x375px
>>3571031
The artifacts on display at Nintendo's museum rotate. I'm not sure how often they change although that's how they keep it interesting for people who have been there before.
>>
>>3565903
Back in the 80's/early 90's when I was making LCD games we had XXXL setups like that for presentations. Wish I had some pictures.
>>
>>3571031
>>3571171
This.

More recently they had some of Shiggy's handdrawn original SMB (and others) level designs, edits, and notes.
I think I have some pics saved somewhere if anyone is interested.

They also have some fucking adorable Pokeplushes
>>
>>3567123
The TG Express is apparently a good candidate for screen mods. I'm not aware of any drop-in solutions but the screen itself doesn't have any weird particulars about it like the Game Gear's did (screen mods for the GG are pretty much worthless without the addition of a scaler chip, unless you only plan to play Master System roms on an Everdrive).
>>
>>3571269
That's awesome. It's always cool to hear about people's experiences with the industry on this board.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.