[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sakura Taisen Appreciation Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: taisen.jpg (211KB, 660x330px) Image search: [Google]
taisen.jpg
211KB, 660x330px
What's your favorite Sakura Taisen game /vr/? How did you first discover the series? Do you prefer Saturn or Dreamcast? Have you played the spinoffs? Let me see your love for this fantastic series!
>>
File: taisen4.png (4MB, 2048x1355px) Image search: [Google]
taisen4.png
4MB, 2048x1355px
>>3565252
Played through all of them on Dreamcast this past summer and loved them to bits. ST4's ending was really satisfying. I really don't understand why Sega hasn't tried any modern day ports of all of the games.
>>
>>3565605
ST's setting is kinda rooted in Japanese history, and the lots of text involved is a pain for a translation team to handle. And they did try to take it in the West with ST5. It ddn't stick.
>>
What sort of change does ST3 make to the series anyway?

I'm still working my way through 1 (the fact that you can only save during very specific points means I need to have a long unstretched block of time to play it, which is annoying)
>>
I've only played 1 and I wish the battle parts weren't such a pushover and actually had semblance of a challenge.

Are the later games the same way?
>>
I've only played 1 and I wish the game had more lesbian sex.

Are the later games the same way?
>>
>>3566193
>>>/u/
>>
>>3566163
At the end of 2, Ogami reveals that he is moving to Paris to captain the Paris Assault Force. 3 takes place in Paris and covers the events there.
>>
>>3566221
Derp, I missed out on typing something.

I meant "changes to the tactical gameplay", sorry
>>
My favorite series! Glad to see it getting some love on here
>>
>>3565252
First two games were officialy released in Russia for PC, so that's how I got into series.
>How did you first discover the series?
Watched localized anime movie in 2004-2005, found out about upcoming game localization, finished it and second game later.
I was really hooked on after the anime, downloading all fanart, music and information I could find.

Now almost ten years later I'm replaying first game on Dreamcast in Japanese, and plan to play 2, 3 and 4.
>>
>>3565252
>Favorite game
ST4. Brought everything together, and agreeing with what >>3565605 said, ending was very satisfying.
>Discover series
Japanese import store near my home was clearing out their Dreamcast stock in 2002-03. Picked up ST3 for $10, played it, loved it, started playing the others
>SS or DC?
Dreamcast, simply because of that lovely collectors box with all the games.
>Spinoffs
I had one of those Pocket Sakura things a while ago, lost it when i moved.
>>
>>3566231
It's pretty different. The grid is done away with completely, and you can move your mecha around freely around the field (within the given range obviously). Each mecha also has action points that you can use rather than just the two actions per turn you see in the Saturn ST games. I don't know if you've played it, but ST3's battles are very similar to Valkyria Chronicles, but of course that's not /vr/
>>
Anyone owns some rare or just neat merchandise from series? Maybe even dedicated collections?
I have all DC games (separate LEs) and 8cm CD singles. And unbuilt Maria koubu model.
>>
File: 118317.jpg (20KB, 256x425px) Image search: [Google]
118317.jpg
20KB, 256x425px
For the game that took place in paris, were they forced to work in the catgirl cabaret or was that only in the OVAs?
>>
>>3567548
I think I've heard that comparison before but I didn't realize they made such big changes.
>>
>>3565252
I've been playing Project X Zone lately.
>>
File: Nothing_but_heartbreak_here.jpg (798KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Nothing_but_heartbreak_here.jpg
798KB, 2592x1944px
>>3565252

>What's your favorite Sakura Taisen game /vr/?
Sakura Columns 2

Sega's marketing/commercials back in 1996, got a lot of kids interested. Budget and effort went into casting, character design, animation, music ...

>Do you prefer Saturn or Dreamcast?
I like both systems a lot, but I might give the edge to Saturn because it lasted longer.

>Have you played the spinoffs?
Define spinoffs ... because one is just a damn web browser.

>Let me see your love for this fantastic series!
The thread is about to die, so time for a Sakura Taisen unappreciation <start playing some nu-metal>:

The series was supposed to be the system sellers of the Saturn but now the games are like Genesis sports titles in videogame stores: cannot get rid of them for even $1 (100JPY).

The best girls, Tsubaki and Mel, are not datable.

Sakura Taisen 3 had the budget and the time (that they rereleased the first two), Sega spent a lot of programming and designing effort to ditch the square grid of SRPG for a more organic spherical movement/action system. All to be one of the pillars of the Dreamcast and that system died anyway so the team cobbled together a budget quick all-characters get-together in one final farewell few missions for 4.

I don't have the heart to see what happened in 5 which is like reanimating a corpse by shoving tons of volts up its ass.

I wish I could've not liked the series ...
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.