[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need other games like this one.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

File: Homeworld_(video_game)_box_art.jpg (19KB, 256x308px) Image search: [Google]
Homeworld_(video_game)_box_art.jpg
19KB, 256x308px
I need other games like this one.
>>
>>3564758
Not quite /vr/ enough for the fucking nazis who patrol this board--
--but Homeworld Cataclysm was pretty solid. I actually liked it more than Homeworld 2. Shame the source code was lost, otherwise it would have been in that Gearbox re-release of the Homeworld games.
>>
>>3564870
Cataclysm had superior missions than Homeworld (longer, more objectives, enemy keeps building ships) and probably better multiplayer (no support frigates) but somehow I still like the original better.

I don't like how in Cataclysm veteran ships moved faster and and damaged ships moved slower. This screwed up fighter formations and got them all killed.
>>
>>3564758
>>
>>3565041

har har har
>>
Star control II scratches the same itch. At least for me. Its a great game with a great plot definitely worth playing if you haven't OP. If you decide to play it though I heavily recommend you try to avoid spoilers like the plague.
>>
What formations and tactics do you guys like to use for your ships?
>>
>>3566460

Sphere is the most aesthetic formation by far.
>>
>>3564758
Haegemonia
>>
https://youtu.be/fXRJBK8oJSA
>>
Pro-tip:
Play the game without capturing any ships.
It is more exciting and quicker paced that way.
>>
>>3571205

The ion deathball is impossible to beat otherwise.
>>
>>3571205
ive known about the dynamic difficulty, but i just cant resist going full autist and capturing the half dozen satelite ion and the almost dozen nebula ions, its really sad because at later stages i cant even build capital ships, its all salvages, ions, captured assault frigs, healers, and some multigun and bombers from early-mid game.

but i can almost one shot any appraoching frigates at the planetary defense scenariowith a wall of ions
>>
>>3571280
The Ion frigate ball is centered on 1 ion frigate in the middle.
Send a cloaked fighter, peck him, then cloack again and fly to the far end of the map and uncloack. The whole ball will follow leaving the inhibitor only guarded by a carrier and two cruisers.

Or get three cloack gens and surround the middle one with an aggressive sphere of bombers. Keep them cloacked always and fly around the ball to each frigate killing them one by one.

Or only kill a hole in the front of the ball and send your fleet in to blow the inhibitors and then click quick dock to end the mission.
>>
>>3564758
I enjoyed sword of the stars space combat more, it is a 4X with RTS combat though and not a full fledged space RTS.
The weapons are quite fun to mess around with.

try sots1 first, sots2 had great potential but they dropped the ball on it.
>>
>>3564996

>> enemy keeps building ships

If you monitor the behavior of Beast carriers in the campaign, they're able to shit out frigates as though the damn things were docked.

>>I don't like how in Cataclysm veteran ships moved faster and and damaged ships moved slower.

Yeah, that shit was pretty bad. You had to break formation if you wanted to save damaged units.

Cataclysm was still great in spite of its flaws though.

>>3566460

Claw and Sphere for fighters, Wall for frigates and heavy/multigun corvettes. Tactics depend largely on the situation.
>>
>>
File: O.R.B_-_Off-World_Resource_Base.png (154KB, 256x369px) Image search: [Google]
O.R.B_-_Off-World_Resource_Base.png
154KB, 256x369px
>>
This thread made me look for an old game I saw a review of on PC Gamer, from memory they gave it a 49 praising the graphics but saying it was full of bugs

Technically it's not retro but it's very similar to Homeworld, like a knock-off.

Also one of the shortest Wiki pages I've ever seen, no one gave a fuck about this game lol.
>>
>>3564758
Galaxy Angel
>>
File: Sins of a Solar Empire.jpg (292KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Sins of a Solar Empire.jpg
292KB, 1440x900px
non op bump, nice space games suggestions

just so its not a mere bump, heres a non-retro

Sin of a Solar Empire

3d space local battles like homeworld, but at the same time, a dispute for multiple planets/battle-scenarios at once
>>
>>3573660
Sins doesn't have 3d battles

all fights are conducted on one plane

you can't move ships up and down
but you can move them left and right and back and forth.
>>
I always found it amusing in Homeworld that the first level was harder than the tutorial level.
>>
>>3574403
*easier
>>
>>3573660
>3d space
I think you need to go back through primary school
>>
>>3564758
So you want other games that got shitty non-retro remakes?

>Master of Orion
>Alone in the Dark
>Splatterhouse
>Rygar
>Bomberman
>Alpha Centauri
>Final Fantasy IV
>Killer Instinct
>>
>>3571281
A little known fact about the Homeworld difficulty scaling is that it has nothing to do with the size of your fleet. That is what HW2 did.

Homeworld's level scaling is based on how many ships you lost in the last level.
Finish level 2 without losses (easy) and save your game.
Level 3 will have 4 assualt frigs.
Go back to your save and selfdestruct your research ship and end the level.
There will be 2 assault frigs.

Well, Homeworld is easy anyway; it's not like Battle Garegga where you have to lose ships otherwise the game becomes unbeatable.
>>
Thread theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqWcm6MMiHk
>>
Since this is a Homeworld thread, I'd like some opinions from those who've played Remastered

I read HW1 Remastered uses the HW2 engine. How jarring is the result? Does it fuck important shit up?
>>
>>3572475
I found about this games from pc gamer too. Looked for it online years ago, there was nothing. Tried to buy it on ebay, nothing. Recently i got it off a torrent easy and ebay has copies often. The game's intriguing, but worthless gameplay-worthless.
>>
>>3577142
>How jarring is the result? Does it fuck important shit up?
last i heard on the company forums and other places, it did fuck up lots on HW1 stuff, dunno if things changed in the last few months, but so far no signaling that the new dev was worrying about breaking it...

bottom line is, HW1/c/2 are still playable via IP, you can still play with friends
>>
>>3577165
magnet hash for that torrent?
>>
>>3577703
diff anon but I found a direct download here, says nothing ripped http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/project-earth/
>>
>>3577142

I played Remastered.

Imagine playing HW1 in HW2's engine, that's practically what it is.

Salvaging is both fucked up and ridiculously OP in Remastered; salvage corvettes are fucking ninjas that can snag a combat corvette making a tight combat maneuver. You cannot, however, salvage fighters and other certain ships (like Swarmers)

Fuel system is removed but Swarmers try to behave like in HW1 classic.

The devs managed to do shit like blending HW2's stances (passive/defensive/aggressive) with HW1's tactics (evasive/neutral/aggressive), and doing some pretty neat shit with formations (HW2 strike craft squadrons can now merge in big blobs instead of the shitty HW2 formations).

The HW1 campaign in Remastered has new instances of ridiculous difficulty scaling as well. If you managed to clear the Nebula missions with low casualties, you will enter the Sea of Lost Assault Frigates.
>>
File: 1440314344327.jpg (52KB, 210x330px) Image search: [Google]
1440314344327.jpg
52KB, 210x330px
>>3576675

>comparing Homeworld to Battle motherfucking Garegga

I played the heck out of both, the latter just recently.

I like the way you think.
>>
>>3579330
are you saying the stances+tactics is positive?

also, what the fuck is happening in that gif?
>>
>>3580554

>>are you saying the stances+tactics is positive?

Quite. Tactics, as they were known in HW1, technically weren't in Remastered until the June megapatch, and it's not really 'blending' as I said in my previous post. The game now has 6 options as to how you want your ships to behave in combat, divided into two categories known as

>'Rules of Engagement' (HW2 combat behavior)
>Stances (HW1 Tactics)

Among the tactics options introduced in Remastered, Evasive deviates a bit from what it used to be in HW1 (Aggressive is pretty faithful to HW1). In HW1 (correct me if I'm wrong), ships (notably fighters) on Evasive will maintain formation but will bob and weave to avoid fire. In Remastered, ships on Evasive will break formation and veer off in different directions upon beginning their attack.

>gif

Formation bug during pre-patch testing.
>>
>>3566460
Fighters
aggressive or neutral delta

Corvettes and defenders
aggressive wall

Cap ships
evasive no formation
>>
Why did we never get a HW3, Deserts took an eternity for a follow-up and doesnt count cuz no space.

Was 2 a franchise killer? HW1 and Cataclysm kicked so much ass, the atmosphere and visual design are unparalleled
>>
>>3582891
i guess with 3 titles released and a cooldown on RTS audience, there is just no huge novelty to have HW3 appeal to a huge audience.

one important factor in RTS franchises was always that you could basically remake the game for improved technology,

even HW2 regular, and now with 'remastered backgrounds' its alreasy a pretty good looking game, multiplayer, many units, etc... theres just no novelty factor to have a new instalment appeal to the masses.

HW3 is only coming in 2035 with the 4th VR fad (virtual reality) when ppl will own the products by the millions and mid-high range gaming computers will handle 2x3k (24:10 for each eye)

and VR headmounts will be photon-field-displays [tm] (c) where your eyes can change the focus and not just react to stereo images.
>>
>>3583362
You sound like you're from the future, tell me more about it.
Also, you wouldn't happen to have a spare sports almanac lying about from your time lying around, would you?
>>
>>3583417
>in the year of allah 2035
>printed stuff

btw, i meant "light field" photography, theres seems to be some prototypes on cameras that can capture a scene and later you chose the focus length

im imagining a reverse use, some display that shines several layers of images, perhaps with translucid materials, each layer with a different focal distance, so not only will we feel depth by the angle between both eyes but also by eye lens adjustment, like it is in reality
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.