[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Turbografx/Turbo Duo Discussion Topic.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: pc-engine.png (32KB, 598x448px) Image search: [Google]
pc-engine.png
32KB, 598x448px
This was the third wheel of fourth gen, and unlike the later generations that had three active game consoles, it did not seem like the Turbografx had any generation defining games. I have large libraries for both the SNES and Genesis/Mega Drive, but I only own five titles for the Turbo (via the Wii VC).

Most of the games for this console seem to be shmups, a genre I suck at.

What games on the Turbo stack up with the best of the two 16-bit titans? I have played Star Parodier, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, Detana Twin Bee, Bomberman 94, and Ys Book 1 and 2. They are all fun games. Star Parodier is a great beginner level shmup, probably the genre's equivalent of Super Mario RPG. Rondo of Blood is easily within the Top 3 installments in the Castlevania franchise. Bomberman 94 is a great fun multiplayer game, and probably the best game in the series of the fourth generation. Ys Book 1 and 2 was probably one of the first (if not the first) game to actually show the potential of the CD-format in regards to gaming and has a great soundtrack (composed by Yuzo Koshiro no less).

Is there any other Turbo titles on the Wii's VC that are also great (excluding shmups)?
>>
I had a TG16 growing up as well as the Genesis and Super Nintendo, I honestly liked each sysytem about as equally. The Bonks Adventure games are pretty fun, I thought they were as good as Sonic or Mario desu. The Devils Crush and Alien Crush pinball games are the best pinball games on 16bit, easily. Bloody Wolf is a great run'n'gun game in the vein of the Contra games but more realistic. Also even though you said you didn't like games like it, Blazing Lazers I cannot rec. enough, it is my favorite space shooter from that era..
>>
Get New Adventure Island
>>
>>3563330
I have looked into it. What makes it special over other Adventure Island games? It seems like a cookie cutter installment.

Are the Bonk games really exceptional when stacked against the likes of the original 2D Marios (the NES trilogy + World), the NES and SNES Kirby games, the DKC trilogy, Yoshi's Island, and the Mega Drive/Genesis Sonic games.
>>
>>3563394
Bonk 1 is pretty fun, Bonk 2 is fantastic, Bonk 3 is pedestrian.
>>
>>3563281
Do you know Japanese? Like the Saturn, most of the worthwhile titles are Japan-only, because like the Saturn, the console was a bit of a flop in the West.
>>
>>3563867
what titles
>>
Splatterhouse
Dungeon Explorer
Dragon's Curse
Ninja Spirit
>>
File: bonk.jpg (73KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
bonk.jpg
73KB, 540x405px
OP here. I heard most of the Turbografx games on the Wii Virtual Console actually have resolution and audio problems. Is this true?

I heard the later ones released did not have this problem though. It might explain why I did not see any problems with any of the Turbo games I picked up.
>>
>>3563954
No one?
>>
>>3563954
No, it's not.
>>
>>3563867
Well i suppose they've only got themselves to blame when they left the best game in japan.
>>
The best tennis game ever made was on the PCE. At least until Virtua Tennis, it indeed was the best.

I've played 'em all. Final Match Tennis is simply the best. Way better than its sequels on the SNES and PSX to boot.
>>
>>3563281
TG was the 4th wheel champ. It went SFC, PCE, MD, all the rest.

>>3563867
Careful there. Post like that are likely to stir up the monolingual basement trolls who insist that anything they can't read can't be good. And they're like bedbugs. Once they infest a thread the best option is to just move.
>>
This console was like Chrono Trigger to me, in that I've seen it mentioned here and there in different sites and one day I finally decided to check it out

It does seem like it has a lot of shoot em ups, there is also the nuetopias
>>
File: master_higgins_apple_II.png (8KB, 254x320px) Image search: [Google]
master_higgins_apple_II.png
8KB, 254x320px
OHH~OHH~OHHH NOOOOO
YOU SHANKED MY JENGA-SHIP
>>
>>3563281
Lots of great games, especially the CD based stuff. Legendary Axe was great as well.
>>
>>3565340
>implying TG and PCE are any different
>>
>>3567856
>being too retarded to know they are
>b-b-but they're the same in muh emulator
>>
>>3568348
>HURR THEY R COMPLETEY DIFFURENT BECAUSE AMOUNT OF PINS AND TEH NAME
>>
>>3568397
>being even more retarded than i though
>being too retarded to count pins
>>
I've been looking to get into Rainbow Islands and related series for a long time now. Tried Parasol Stars, but it was a single-screen arcade action—not my cup of tea exactly. Are there any installments which play more like console platformers, i.e. SMB, Kirby and so on?
>>
File: PC-Engine-Turbo-Duo.jpg (316KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
PC-Engine-Turbo-Duo.jpg
316KB, 640x480px
>>3563281
Just got my PC-Engine Duo recapped and what should i play next?
>>
>>3569831
Bonze Adventure
Liquid Kids
NewZealand Story
Recalhorn
>>
>>3569862
Thanks

And are there any Rainbow Islands platformers? I can find surprisingly little info on the series, I thought HG101 would have an article on it.
>>
>>3563281
What games on the Turbo stack up with the best of the two 16-bit titans?

There's a decent amount of killer PCE games

>Rondo of Blood
>Ys IV
>Legend of Xanadu I and II (translations will be released soon)
>New Adventure Island
>Soldier Blade
>Ninja Spirit
>Liquid Kids
>River City Ransom (remake)
>Blazing Lazers/Gunhed
>Bonk 2
>Air Zonk
>Wonder Boy III Dragon Trap (60 fps and battery save)
>Galaga 88
>SonSon II
>Parasol Stars
>Ninja Gaiden (slightly easier remake, purists hate it)

Download and Override are the two highest quality "easy" shooters on the system
>>
Legendary Axe 1 is great. It has its faults, but the best thing about it is the combat. It requires specific tactics for each enemy and the fully charged strike is one of the most satisfying attacks in gaming history.
>>
File: 1426813756655.jpg (30KB, 420x280px) Image search: [Google]
1426813756655.jpg
30KB, 420x280px
>>3563281
>doesn't like shmups
>"not seem like the Turbografx had any generation defining games"
>had the GOTY of the year 1989
>lists one of the best videogames ever created (RoB)

Ur a faget
>>
>>3570498
The final boss was so threatening and cool :)

Take castlevania's final boss and make him fill the screen
>>
>>3565141
You mention this a lot on here

Could you explain why? I know final match tennis has a cult following in France but that's about it
>>
>>3569867
>platformers
Sure. They're all platformers. Just not the kind of platformers that you want. kek. There's no scrolling games in the series.
>>
>>3571945
>There's no scrolling games in the series.
Oh well… I was really hoping for something like it.

It's a case of a series I love for the looks, but the gameplay is just not for me.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.