[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pat's Ultimate Nintendo Guide

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 7

File: hqdefault.jpg (48KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
48KB, 480x360px
What do you guys think of the book? Is it worth getting? Also thread about other good retro related books.
>>
From the excerpts I've read it is written poorly.
>>
>>3561719
Not to mention he rates some games based on a non-playing experience, ~25 years ago.
>>
File: 1364148378906.png (339KB, 410x380px) Image search: [Google]
1364148378906.png
339KB, 410x380px
>>3561712
You're supposed to waste your money on video games not this worthless garbage

https://mega.nz/#!EB03AJQR!PxyOUkRb7MZht0uTRv17AdzXGScfb0Vvc8BC6KH2rkw
>>
>>3561734
Thanks! Got anything else?
>>
File: videogames.jpg (551KB, 1617x1044px) Image search: [Google]
videogames.jpg
551KB, 1617x1044px
>>3561739
This one's my favorite.
https://mega.nz/#!wIV3iART!MemoLanhdgw9gilWEh_GSJ5fR941sqyAipqt-vX-CgQ
>>
>>3561739
Sure! Hungry?
>>
File: 1371287117591.jpg (95KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
1371287117591.jpg
95KB, 960x640px
>>3561746
The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers Vol. 1 & 2
https://mega.nz/#!QBkSEIaR!zXGW0sw2zW-aQAhOB_FO_6GNwIvaqTU23-vr0qUJZR0

https://mega.nz/#!ZYFg0RpJ!b0Z0Ly6p8EFCk8-C0XPpS5aMi5IVfI_Qnb64EIw6pro

That's all I've got, now it's someone else's turn
>>
>>3561712
Never heard of it before. I take it it's some hipster shit excuse for a kickstarter? Pretty much guaranteed to be shit.
>>
Is that a certain nes guide book?
>>
>>3561806
Even Ian's been rolling his eyes at that.
>>
>>3561712
For $60? No, thanks. I might consider it if it was half that. I'll just wait for the pdf to leak and then look at it maybe a couple of times.
>>
>>3561924
Ha. Nevermind. I should have read the thread before posting.
>>
>>3561712
When will betas stop making these retards money?
>>
>>3561942
>implying it's not Pat himself.
>>
> spend money on poorly rewritten information freely available online

No.
>>
Is the book really that bad though?
>>
>>3561798
Seconding this, they're amazing.
>>
>>3561712
Sorry I don't buy into z list youtubers shitty quick cash grabs.
>>
Has anyone seen the completely unnecessary lets plays. This guy will surpass the AVGN soon in popularity for sure, plus Pat is Mike Matei levels of sexy
>>
>>3562710
Sup Ian

When the fuck is the marathon
>>
>>3561746

>24 frames per second

Misinformed. Is the rest of the book like that?
>>
You guys should also check out the completely unnecessary podcast. It has some crazy bants between Pat the NES Punk and his good friend Ian Ferguson all things retro gaming and many other things inbetween
>>
>>3562710
I have, and they make me want to not watch the podcast anymore.
Seriously, why put this garbage on your main channel?
>>
Not a bad book, decent quality honestly.
>>
>>3562915
a fleeting attempt at grabbing viewers from the lets-play crowd
everyone knows he's getting desperate now.
>>
>>3561712
I think its great value in this day and age. The reviews and insights are fantastic as well. I kight buy 2, 1 to read and one to put away in a box protector
>>
>>3563473
I was thinking about buying 2 as well, this is great value and will surely go up in price...
>>
>sees cover, page layouts, reads text
did a fucking 14 year-old make this?

>google
oh GOD
>>
Dear Pat,

Fuck you.
>>
He beats Ian.
>>
>>3561712
Where do I purchase? this looks fantastic!
>>
>>3561734
Stop posting these links in here. Piracy is theft. I dont appreciate this whatsoever
>>
>>3561746
>no pc engine
>pages dedicated to the pcfx
wtf
>>
>>3561712
>>3563610
>>3563729
shill detected, thanks for the free stuff tho
>>
>>3563486
It's almost as if art requires practice
>>
File: 20160724_100505.jpg (168KB, 467x632px) Image search: [Google]
20160724_100505.jpg
168KB, 467x632px
>>3563473
>not buying 4 copies

One to read, one to resell, one to display, and one to de-bind for scanning. The same thing goes for games, except swap read/scan with play/hack.
>>
This looks like a fine product made with much care and dignity. Having been a long-time video-gamer this is something interesting to me.

Where might an individual such as myself purchase such a book?
>>
http://thepunkeffect.com/products-page/>3563610
>>3563809
Had a look for you guys, looks like you can purchase here
>>
>>3563853
Not sure if he'll sell to me - he was butthurt as fuck and deleted all my sweet YouTube comments for telling him I wanted to fuck Franks tight gay ass.
>>
>>3563863
>not Ians drug-riddled hippie cloaka
>>
>>3561734
Great,as owner to Luna games I wont buy this for a dime.
Thanks man
>>
File: 2014-11-26-12.58.25.jpg (61KB, 555x369px) Image search: [Google]
2014-11-26-12.58.25.jpg
61KB, 555x369px
Some retro video games ARE worth it. The Megadrive Collected Works by ReadOnlyMemory is an absolutely gorgeous publication.

Not shilling, just saying.
>>
kill all shills
>>
>>3564134
I have that. It's good, but they wasted something like 80 pages on... game sprites.
>>
Anyone got a copy of Classic Home Video Games, 1989-1990: A Complete Guide to Sega Genesis, Neo Geo and TurboGrafx-16 Games
>>
>>3564143
I liked that section. Game sprite is ART after all, why shouldn't there be a section to celebrate it?
>>
Can anyone tell me where to get a copy of this ultimate NES guide or is it as I imagine, completely sold out?
>>
>>3564837
It's not sold out. You can buy it on Pat's website.

There's even a scan in this thread if you want to save yourself $60.
>>
>>3564837
There is no way a book sold at 3 times its value would sell out.

This book is a perfect example of everyone can write, but not everyone can write well.
>>
this feels like a troll thread meant to be read as a shill thread that everyone's just treating like a normal thread
>>
>>3564948

Shill threads are annoying, but in Pat's case I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, mainly because of his personal collection. 60 bucks is a bit steep for me though, considering I'd probably read it once and leave it to a fate of gathering dust on a shelf somewhere.
>>
>>3564948

Pretty sure that most shill posts on here are ironic shilling, save maybe for promotion of very small YouTube channels and videos. I'd be surprised if either Pat or Ian even visited 4chan, much less actively shill a book. Ian is probably opposed to 4chan on moral grounds, and Pat... I don't know, he just doesn't strike me as the image board type.
>>
>>3565357

4chan came up once on their podcast, but they both kinda intentionally dodged the subject. Probably not a bad move on their part.
>>
>>3565361

I'll have to look that up. Ian is probably one of those people who think Pepe images are truly a symbol of neo-nazi white supremacists instead of some dumb, overused meme posted by teenagers and early twentysomethings.
>>
>>3565357
You would be incredibly surprised...
>>
I hear the infamous 8 bit brody visits these magical lands
>>
>>3565736
Check that guy out, he is hilarious...
>>
>>3565732
I crafted this >>3563809 monstrosity, meant to be the most blatant, uncaring shill ever. The reply actually giving me a link to buy this thing(unchecked) made me a bit butthurt.

Especially since those posts(hell, this thread) are all still here.
>>
Mine arrived in the mail today, you wouldnt believe the size of it. It is a thing of great beauty...
>>
>>3563729
And who might you be?

Just downloaded for free, thanks to whoever uploaded that.
>>
>>3565732
>>3565738
>>3566921

Hi Brody, we know it's you shilling your channel.
>>
>>3567762
Maybe this isn't 8 bit Brody, perhaps it is one of his many fans
>>
>>3565738
>>3565736
Just checked you out
You suck

No sub for you
>>
>>3564906
I think his writing is not great but it's not horrible. I agree fully with the reviews of the games (the star ratings). It's an ok book that he practically wrote by himself. Cut him some slack.
>>
Does anyone have the Ashens book "terrible old games you've probably never heard of"?

Always wondered if it was any good.
>>
>>3570228
http://longfiles.com/3s8m40ka5aia/Terrible_Old_Games_You_ve_Probably.rar.html

Seems to work fine. Be sure to click the actual download button and not the awful fake banners.
>>
>>3570000
Not the guy you responded to, but the writing is horrible. I am going to use excerpts from his book to teach my students what terrible writing looks like.

Here's one problem out of many. His sentence structure is a mess. They contain more than one sentence in them. For example, look at his Game Genie write up on page 409.

"Developed by Codemasters and sold by Camerica (Canada) and Galoob (U.S.), this cartridge adapter attaches to an NES cart and allows players to input codes (provided in the included reference book) via menu screen to temporarily modify the game's data."

Let me break that down.

Codemasters developed the Game Genie.
In Canada, Camerica sold the Game Genie.
In the United States, Galoob sold the Game Genie.
The Game Genie is a cartridge adapter that attaches to an NES cart.
When attached, it allows players to input codes.
The codes came in a reference book that was included with the Game Genie.
The codes were put in a menu screen.
When the codes are activated, they temporarily modify the game's data.

He crammed all of that into one sentence.

Let me edit Pat's writing.

Developed by Codemasters, the Game Genie was sold by different companies in Canada and the United States. In Canada, it was sold by Camerica. However, in the United States it was sold by Galoob. The Game Genie was a cartridge adapter that allowed players to temporarily modify the game's data. When attached to an NES cartridge, players could look for codes in an included reference book and input them in a menu screen.

Even after editing, there are still problems. He doesn't resolve the Codemasters/Camerica/Galoob topic until the end of the paragrah. Instead, he jumps into the functions of the Game Genie. Fuck his "writing."
>>
I heard a rumour that pat and ian were writing another book. Is this true and any details?
>>
>>3562727
kys ian
>>
>>3563729
fuck yourself :)
>>
>>3570497
>im going to teach my students how to pad out a 500 word essay into a 2000 word essay by writing like a child
I'm sure they'll appreciate that. With teachers like you their minds undoubtedly contain less 500 words anyway. Those who can't...
>>
>>3571236
Hi Pat! Are you writing another book?
>>
>>3571687
I was going to but after reading the teachers comments I think I'm going to hold off and take one of their classes first. Not only will this let me pad the book out into a trilogy without adding a single bit of useful information but it will dumb down the writing enough that people who can't handle anything more complex than a McDs menu can enjoy it as well. All I need to do now is figure out what fake online GED mills these guys work for so I can sign up.
>>
>>3561798
i STILL cannot believe Takahashi banged so many broads

man am i stupid
>>
>>3563486
Wat. He was born 5 days after me
>>
>>3567816
meh use of reverse-psychology
>>
>>3562710
>>3562727
You guys are literally the worst retro reviewers on the entirety of YouTube and you know it. Please do us a favor and kill yourself Ian. Pat is bad, but you make things a million times worse.
>>
>>3572317
>bad sentences
>without adding a single bit of useful information.
I see what you did there.
>>
>>3561721
no. games he hasn't played or isn't the kind of game he plays, he gets someone else to review the game.

it's different than the way you rate a book based on a non-reading experience.
>>
>>3570497
lol your edited version sounds like something a 10 year old would write
>>
>>3573705
Hey, I'm glad you noticed. Untangling Pat's writing shows that he writes like a ten year old.
>>
>>3573736
A teacher who writes like a 10 year old and can't into reading comprehension. I'd like to say I'm shocked but I'm not.
PROTIP: You writing like a 10 year old only proves that you write like a 10 year old sport.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.