[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RetroN2 - Worth It?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

File: retron_2_grey2-042315.jpg (228KB, 750x624px) Image search: [Google]
retron_2_grey2-042315.jpg
228KB, 750x624px
Looking to buy one of these for some casual NES/SNES gaming. Worth it? Better options out there?
>>
>>3559846
just use your computer and a usb controller. fuck emulation that requires carts.

Otherwise go full retard and original hardware with at least s-video on a crt.
>>
>>3559857
/thread
>>
>>3559846

god dang EXCREMENTALS
>>
>>3559857
This.
Either go no retard or full retard.
Never go half retard.
>>
>>3559846
Disgusting
>>
>>3559846

Me and my wife's son love ours
>>
>>3559857
It's not an emulator. It's NOAC and a SOAC combined in one box.
>>
>>3559857
You can say this answer every time they make a thread, but there will be a new one each and every day. probably 4-5 threads advertising their latest products.

I'm so sick of this.
>>
>>3559942
Why isn't it advertising to talk about other consoles, but it's advertising to talk about this particular console?
Could it be you just reacted wrongly without actually thinking about it? Because I'm pretty sure that's what you do and need to quit.
>>
>>3559969
It's advertising because this console retron shit is still for fucking sale by retron to this day even though it probably isn't even legal. Fuck off with this shit you retard. Emulating for free is always the better option, retrons have more issues and less compatibility than fucking emulators.
>>
I have a Retro Duo that I sometimes use but only because I spotted it at a thrift store for $6
>>
>>3559846
>that color scheme
Ew, fuck no
>>
>>3560002
It's 100% legal. The hardware patents on the 8 and 16 bit consoles have expired making hardware clones completely legal. Now you know.
>>
The SNES controller looks like one of those unplayable $2.50 ebay junkers.
>>
>>3559857
Hardware clones are not emulation, how many fucking times does anyone need to say this?
>>
>>3560123
Except this isn't just a clone. It actually emulates the rom on the cart.
>>
>>3560136
That's the Retron 5, this is the Retron 2.
>>
>>3560051
Retron uses open-source emulators whose license specifically forbids their use in commercial products, with a weak "but they're free so we can use them!" defense in their site's FAQ
>>
Not OP, but what could I buy that is an actual hardware clone for NES / SNES games and not an emulator that reads carts? I already have tons of carts but no SNES and my NES is deteriorating rapidly (it was in terrible shape when I got it, all I did was clean it and that got me by for the past 6 years).
>>
>>3560175
An AV Famicom and a Super Famicom.
>>
>>3559846
That thing is a piece of shit.
>>
>>3559846
Is retron 1 any good
>>
>>3560149
>>3560136
The Retron 5 is an emulator box, none of the other Retrons are, they are all chinese hardware clones. You really need to get this shit straight, the misinformation about these things is literally ridiculous.
>>
>>3560180
Haha, fair enough.
>>
>>3560349
Both will only run you like $130 shipped, and they use the same power supply and AV connector. SuFamis are literally $10-15, so there's no reason to buy a SNES clone. Even if you got a Famiclone and a real SuFami you'd be in better shape.
>>
File: Homebrew_channel_logo.png (110KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
Homebrew_channel_logo.png
110KB, 720x480px
There's no reason to buy one of these now a days OP. They cost about the same as the original hardware so its just as well to go that route. No doubt that these will be a necessary evil one day when more real hardware has failed and the remaining official hardware becomes a rarity.

As for the people telling you to emulate, they are right, it offers a better experience than cheap clones IMO. One advantage they do have is that they output 240p and are lagless, making them great for CRT. But even that advantage isnt really that big a deal when you consider that a Wii can be purchased for cheap(got mine for 20 bucks at value village) and it outputs at 240p and a number of other resolutions and the emulation for pre ps1 games is damb near perfect as far as I have encountered.
>>
File: 1476299324840.jpg (43KB, 450x337px) Image search: [Google]
1476299324840.jpg
43KB, 450x337px
get a super retro trio if you, they're great machines and look pretty good running Snes in S-Video. I recommend composite for Genesis/NES on it though
>>
these things are retarded
either go
a) original hardware, original carts
b) original hardware, flash cart
c) emulators on pc
d) emulators on a wii on a crt
>>
>>3560175
honestly just go for the original hardware, or the japanese versions. the japanese versions are typically cheaper and imo aesthetically superior, but you might have to shop around. clone consoles are generally a waste of time, they're a poor middle ground between emulating and actual hardware with none of the benefits of either.
>>
>>3560123
Question I have is: how do you tell the difference as a user? How do you tell which spent the money on getting alow production run ASIC made, and who went the cheaper route and used an off the shelf microcontroller and someone else's uncredited emulator code?
>>
>>3560714
>using a genesis clone
anon they're like 5 dollars
>>
>>3559846
I can't see any situation where it would be worth it. Even if you're posting from a computer in a public library because you don't have a computer or phone at home your $50 would be better spent on bus fare to various McInterviews to find yourself gainful employment.
Hyperkin systems are very poor quality. I have quite a few clones and they are pretty much the worst thing out there. If you don't want to emulate any famiclone you can find will be better. For the SNES part just get a SFC.
>>
If you're going to emulate anyway, why pay for it?
>>
>>3560840
It's not emulation bro, it's inaccurate hardware clone faggotry
>>
>>3560123
dgaf, it's still as shitty as emulation, more so in fact.
>>3560823
both versions are shit and will fail anyways.
>>3560252
So is the misinformation on your real father.

The only info you need is they're shit.
>>
>>3559846
I heard that people on reddit are really enjoying it with their wives sons.
>>
>>3560823
Well for the emulation question it's easy to tell the difference. Only the Retron *5* and RetroFreak (out of Japan) are emulator boxes that can use carts. There's literally no reason to buy those, regardless of your ethics views. They suck and offer no advantage over a $15 used Wii.

When it comes to actual hardware clones, it's a little more complicated. Most SNES/SuFami clones are pretty decent because they haven't (that I'm aware of) reduced the hardware to a single glop-top chip yet. Also SNES carts have the sound samples on the cart, so the sound quality is basically the same as an original console.

Genesis clones from the past 10 years are fucking garbage, especially the SEGA licensed ones.

NES/Famiclones are a mixed bag. 99% of them are NOAC, glop-top technology, but not all NOACs are created equal. You've gotta do your research, or just buy one for $10-20 and deal with it, they're great for the peanuts they cost. Older 80s and 90s Famiclones are typically straight-up hardware clones, some even have actual FC/NES PPUs and CPUs in them. Those types can be as good as the original console; that said, they are basically collector's items now and usually cost more than an actual Fami.

I'm primarily a Famicom fan, and while I don't currently own any clones (I have in the past) I am a big proponent of them. Emulation is one type of hardware preservation, but clones are another entirely. I think there's space for both, and clones are going to be available for a long, long time. They're being produced in the tens of thousands as we speak, and are the primary way a lot of 3rd worlders are being introduced to games. I think that's pretty rad. Clones have their place. That place is certainly not with /vr/-troopers, but I think they're important nonetheless. Also they're stupid cheap.

>>3560901
>dgaf that I'm a fucking idiot and completely wrong about everything I said
>getting this btfo

Do some research before you spout bullshit next time.
>>
>>3560882
If emulation would be more accurate anyway, why pay for it?
>>
>>3560930
Damn. Thanks anon. I'm surprised that the single chip glop tops are bad. I would have thought they'd be pretty good, being purpose mare chips.
>>
>>3560958
Of course, I'm more than happy to help. They've been churning the same basic NOAC chip out of China for a really long time, it's all about being as cheap as possible. No one has bothered to make improvements on it because it costs pennies to produce and will run a huge amount of games. How accurately it runs them is another thing entirely, but they are quite playable, especially if it's the only video game machine you have.
>>
>>3560930
>over a $15 used Wii.
using the authentic controllers is nice
the wiimote is ass and the gamecube controller is shit for snes
>>
>>3560976
The Classic Controller is rad though, and there's adapters for the original controllers if you really wanted to do that. Still cheaper than a Retron or RetroFreak.
>>
>>3560987
there's also the hori gameboy player controller
>>3560930
they're all garbage, even if hardwarfe reproduction is accurate, quality control, build and material quality is atrocious. They feel every bit the cheap plastic toy they resemble. I made the mistake of buying one.
>>
>>3560958
glob tops are typically an indication of things being made with literally every cost cutting decision possible though, so you get what you pay for.
>>
>>3561550
That's a common misconception among people who don't understand the production process. When using a mask part you don't have the option to buy an off the shelf part in a package and program it. You always start off with a die. Waiting around for the vendor to put it in a package is largely an unnecessary ritual. It's not so much cost cutting as it is not wasting money.
On top of that, if you skip the packaging process you can start production immediately. The space saved can also make a big difference, especially if there's no .5 TSOP package available. I've worked on projects where the only package available was SOP and the device was thinner than that. I had to use glop top.
>>
File: 1474525110449.png (126KB, 536x364px) Image search: [Google]
1474525110449.png
126KB, 536x364px
>ctrl f Wife
>1 result

I'm disappointed
>>
>>3561008
The Wii also has official SNES Classic Controllers and the upcoming NES Classic Controller.
>>
>>3562224
An excellent point, I forgot about those.
>>
>>3562224
>official SNES Classic Controllers

link?
>>
>>3562514
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Wii-Super-Famicom-Classic-Controller-Boxed-Club-Nintendo-Japan-/371762511550?hash=item568ec5bebe:g:zGoAAOSw8w1YAKBf

There's 3rd party ones too. The official versions were a Club Nintendo exclusive.
>>
>>3562514
>>3562697

These use the same shells as the original SNES/SFC pads, only difference is the PCB.

I swapped the shell on mine with an NA SNES controller so now mine has the "correct" (to me) lavender buttons etc.
>>
>>3560734
what's the best Wii does? cheapest one I found has been $60 and I ain't paying that if it does not do 5th gen at least.
>>
>>3562818
Go on ebay and buy one with a bad disc drive. I've gotten 3 of them for under $10 a pop.
>>
>>3563475
haven't bought from ebay in a long time. I was one of those people that got an external HDD shell with a fucking thumb drive inside of it. Luckily PayPal returned the money but that was a really bad experience so never felt like buying from there again. Still haven't gone to those flea markets in the downtown of my city and I've heard those places tend to have sellers that have no idea what they have in their hands.
>>
>>3563491
You have 200% buyer protection on eBay, there's virtually no risk. I got my spare Wii at a thrift store for $10, there's 100 million of them in the wild.
>>
>>3559846
THE WIFE LOVES IT
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.