[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

lightguns for PC?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: Gcon45_1.jpg (70KB, 1000x735px) Image search: [Google]
Gcon45_1.jpg
70KB, 1000x735px
I want to play Duck Hunt and Time Crisis

what are my options for a lightgun for Windows?
>>
>>3559395
A controller.

You can't use Lightguns on LCD screens without a massive workaround.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2CxthsVoNA
>>
>>3559419
:(
>>
There's probably a way to use the Wii remote, I know NES emulation on the Wii supports it.
>>
You could probably use TrackIR
>>
>>3559419
what if my PC monitor is a CRT
>>
>>3559419
There are plenty of near zero lag guns that can work with emulators/lcd. Some were even made by well known companies for the initial transition to lcd in the mid 2000's.

The most known, but by a strange company, was called LCD TOPGUN. That is compatible with even the radioshack ps to usb adapter and usable in emulators (also if you know how to wire it, you can wire the xbox pinout to a usb and skip any adapters). Delay is much better than wii-remote lag. From what most of those seem they have either 2 or 4 IR blasters you put around your tv and it does a wii-remote like scanning.
>>
>>3559395
Mayflash dolphin bar, and wiimote
>>
Your options fall into 1 of 3 categories.

Retard solutions for idiots, the sane middle ground, and the "I have too much money and the ability to code drivers and interfaces for arcade hardware".

The retard solutions for idiots are things like Wiimotes, EMS Topgun, Aimtrak, PS Move, and Guncon 3. If you are dumb, don't remember anything about light guns, and just want something you can wave around a bit to move an on-screen cursor, this is the option for you. Of the available options, I'd recommend the Topgun. It's fairly cheap, works as "well" as the rest, and will last you the 5 minutes it takes to throw into a drawer as the calibration fucks up for the umpteenth time.

The sane middle ground are Guncon 2 PC drivers, and the Act-labs guns. Guncon 2 is an S-video only solution, and requires you to solder a breakout cable for composite sync so the gun can interface. There's some way to do it through VGA on arcade monitors, but it required a lot of parts and I don't own any arcade hardware, so I never bothered. The Act-labs guns are what I use. Basic as shit, plug and play VGA, works on modern hardware and operating systems, the only negative is that the gun only updates its position when you fire, so any machine gun games can't be played. Pick up a cheap CRT and go to town.
>>
>>3559789
>the only sane solution is thing that works on very specific setups without tinkering and thing that doesn't work for many games on yet again another highly specific setup
ill vouch for >>3559724
>>
>>3560357
Bizarre that you think owning a CRT or a video card with S-video out are "very specific setups".

Enjoy your dogshit, laggy tracking that isn't even vaguely like a real light gun game.
>>
>>3560387
alright, youngfag here. where are you supposed to plug in s-video out? none of my tvs have a port, my gpu is hdmi only (as is the standard for nearly a decade now, ive had my crt connected via vga-hdmi converter), i don't even have an integrated gpu so even if there was an input on my motherboard i couldn't use it, would i need an adapter?
>>
>>3560405
No, you'd need old hardware. There's probably a way to do it with soft15k or something for arcade VGA, but that's clearly out of your scope.
>>
>>3559789
Calm down there autismo. The "retard" options must have been too hard for you too grasp (lel, couldn't even understand topgun calibration, moron). They are near no lag and perfect for replacing CRT guncons.

Stop getting pissy you couldn't understand them. You are looking like a faggot with each reply. CRT is hardly better, and unlike you, I can say I have used and tested options properly and made them work.

Im sure you will reply. I won't be reading it unless you can explain why guncons in arcades adopted aimtrak/topgun for their LCD setups, as the delay is about 1/5rth a frame slower than CRT. I know you can't so deal with talking to yourself.
>>
File: 7684637994697.jpg (125KB, 1191x1300px) Image search: [Google]
7684637994697.jpg
125KB, 1191x1300px
>>3560425
but you said they didn't require very specific setups
>>
>>3560425
You don't know what you are talking about. Stop replying, stop recommending things like soft15k for current gpus, stop saying you need CRT for proper guncon games, stop being autistic, stop. Go back to /b/, since even /v/ has higher standards than what you can achieve.
>>
File: JW_Web_AT_20010.gif (110KB, 681x513px) Image search: [Google]
JW_Web_AT_20010.gif
110KB, 681x513px
I have an Aimtrack. It's alright to be honest, but it pretty much works like a Wiimote, and unlike an actual lightgun.
>>
>>3560437
Haha, great post, mister, NESfag, is it? You are so relevant to the conversation, it has been years now and you still post with the name everywhere, a true early namefag of /vr/! It is soo great to have attention whores like you making every thread about yourself. Lay it to rest already
>>
>>3560431
>I won't be reading it unless you can explain why guncons in arcades adopted aimtrak/topgun for their LCD setups,
They didn't?

The LCD solutions in arcades are far more accurate than sticking a fucking bar on top of your TV. They have known distances and well over twice as many LEDs, which is why they deliver accurate calibration no matter where in the room you are. If someone built a home solution that was half as good, I'd have no major issue switching over for distance play.

I've tested every option, faggot, aside from the extremes like USB2GUN. It doesn't matter how well you eliminate any even slightly reflective surface, how many times you calibrate and re-calibrate, if you move an inch everything is completely out of whack.

>>3560432
Owning a CRT or an old PC is hardly a specific setup.
>>
>>3560478
>Owning a CRT or an old PC is hardly a specific setup.
CRT doesn't inherently have S-video.
>requires you to solder a breakout cable for composite sync so the gun can interface. There's some way to do it through VGA on arcade monitors, but it required a lot of parts and I don't own any arcade hardware, so I never bothered

the other isn't even an option because the idea of the gun not updating until you fire sounds bad.
>>
>>3560485
>>the other isn't even an option because the idea of the gun not updating until you fire sounds bad.
It's only an issue for games with machine guns, of which there are no good ones.
>>
>>3559507
Those aren't light guns. They work the same as wiimotes

>>3560485
>CRT doesn't inherently have S-video
Unless you bought your TV at the Kmart in Watts it does. Even then inside the box it doesn't pipe RF/composite straight into the electron gun.
>>
>>3559789
You sir are an idiot.
>>
>>3561296
Just because you're somehow fine playing with complete garbage because you grew up with a Wii, doesn't mean everyone else is.

If you have any arcade experience, or ever owned a light gun, the home LCD solutions are woefully lacking. They're fine for the casual retard in his 40s who wants to build an AIO mame cab with a fucking LCD screen and a couple of guns hanging off the sides, but they just aren't remotely sufficient if you're an actual fan of the genre.

If you want to play with an on-screen cursor, I'd highly recommend picking up a positional gun instead, and building a cabinet around it. Games like Alien 3 and T2 are pretty fun, they're just not light gun games.

My hope for the future lies with VR and Vive, 0.3mm tracking is very respectable. Unfortunately, it looks doomed to failure, I would have loved to see some virtual arcade cabinet releases of classic Sega and Namco titles. Maybe in a couple of years when the standards are more open, hell, you could probably define your screen location in software and use a gun controller with lighthouse sensors as an ideal home solution.
>>
>>3561674
>grew up with a wii
nobody posting here "grew up with" a wii
there may be younger posters possibly inderageb& but holy fuck not that young
>>
>>3561674
>autism speaks
>>
>>3561704
The only way you're correct is that those people who's first console was a wii and are here technically didn't "grew up" on anything because they ain't done grewed up yet.
>>
>>3561704
>there may be younger posters possibly inderageb& but holy fuck not that young

A 17 year old would have been 7 when the Wii came out, could definitely have grown up with the wii.
>>
>>3561704
>nobody posting here "grew up with" a wii
The Wii will be 10 years old in november. It's perfectly possible someone got one at 8 or 9 and had it for a good few years.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.