[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

retro scene in tha future

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: whatup.jpg (347KB, 1000x561px) Image search: [Google]
whatup.jpg
347KB, 1000x561px
will demand for 4rd 4th and 5th gen games ever dry up?
what happens when all the crts and pvms break or get thrown in the garbage
>>
>>3558314
I've thought about this a lot lately. I believe honestly everything will move to emulation as it's showing more and more everyday that this is already true. And shit like the NES mini will be popping up once every couple years or so from the companies that are still around.
>>
I think a niche solution for CRT visuals will emerge in fairly short order.

I don't know where it will come from, certainly the manufacturing and engineering costs are well beyond the current retro gaming cottage industries can't support an undertaking on a "make new CRTs for Nintendo's" in the same way we cooked up stuff like the Everdrive - but there have to be some other interests at play, since we had like 60 years of technology based entirely around cathode tube displays.

Maybe some people in the video or film industries will have some reason to create a small market for PVM-like machines?

I also think that there has to be a better ultimate solution than just using an old tube TV to render the image accurately. Framemesiters and converter rigs are a shitty stopgap to make one data protocol work on a different one ("analog" to HDMI) - what if flatscreens came with a "legacy mode" solution? I don't know how that would work, but it seems not out of the range of possibility. I work in the music industry, and the resurgence of vinyl has now given way to an enormous uptick in consumer interest in fucking cassette tapes.

Collecting retro is never going to go away, even if the bottom falls out and we completely lose every cathode tube ever manufactured. I think the 8 and 16 bit era of video games will eventually become analogous to golden age comic collecting - I could easily see geeks of 2080 lusting after mint NES games like current comic fans desire truly vintage Superman comics.

I don't think the same will ever be said of 360 and PS3 games. It has to do with a "time and place" cultural perception, the type of nostalgia that supercedes any genuine interest in playing the games themselves. Nobody wants to read old Batman comics - but for whatever reason, they sure as shit want to own them.
>>
>>3558314
I don't see that demand will ever "dry up". You have a whole generation of tweens who are being introduced to this. You can bet they'll be buying the shit they can't afford now in 20 years when they have disposable income.

When the last CRT breaks we'll just use replicator credits to make a new one. I know it's a popular /vr/ maymay that no one makes CRTs any more but that's just silly kid talk. CRTs are still being made. Even if the last one rolled off the line today there would still be CRTs around 50 years from now. In reality CRTs will continue to be made until there isn't enough demand to keep the factory open, so for the foreseeable future.
>>
Every year i hear people proclaiming that 'the bubble will burst' but the prices only ever continue to rise.

It's simple economics really, older games are being destroyed or binned all the time and they're not being replaced. And these games will forever be known as the golden age of vidya. They'll only get more expensive.
>>
>>3560926
Link to one, because all I can find are used ones.
>>
>>3560926
>tweens
Fuck you just for using that "word."
>>
>>3558314
Maybe it'll calm down like 2nd gen has, but not any time soon.

Old Nintendo games will always be "status symbol" collectables, like old comics or baseball cards. I can see Sega and PS1/2 remaining fairly cheap, most disc based consoles. Then again the Sega CD, Saturn and DC have all gone up recently so I don't know.
>>
>>3561238
The bubble is quickly spreading to all the latest gens
It's pretty insane.
>>
>>3561238
2nd gen has never been completely insane other than sealed ultra-rare games. A lot of retro collectors are quietly filling out their 2nd gen collections right now though.
>>
>>3560926
>CRTs are still being made.

Last CRT manufacturing plant just shut down like 6 months ago. And they weren't very good TVs and they were solely being sold in the 3rd world like India.
>>
>>3561340
Source? I've read at least a dozen stories about the "last" CRT factory closing over the last 10 years but some how there always seems to be new production around.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.