[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fuck u Vic Ireland

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 20

File: wd.png (36KB, 459x175px) Image search: [Google]
wd.png
36KB, 459x175px
Vic Ireland/Working Designs hate thread. I'd *almost* prefer that games they released stayed in Japan instead, over being released in such a butchered form. Take Alundra for example, before the game even starts they manage to take a dump all over it. From shady shit like putting their logo in and removing the developer's, to front loading all the anime cutscenes with shitty 90s buttrock. What really pisses me off is they artificially increased the difficulty of the game, because a bunch of fat weeaboos know how to develop and balance a game better than the creators, right? And it goes without saying that their "localization" sucks complete dick. From the "You'll pay for this!" caliber bad guys to the dated as fuck surfer lingo, Working Designs might be the worst bunch of hacks to work in the industry. Fuck you Vic.
>>
File: crying_baby.jpg (63KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
crying_baby.jpg
63KB, 333x500px
>>3556239

You wanna try with a proper paragraph?
>>
>>3556242
Vic Ireland/Working Designs hate thread.

I'd *almost* prefer that games they released stayed in Japan instead, over being released in such a butchered form.

Take Alundra for example, before the game even starts they manage to take a dump all over it.

From shady shit like putting their logo in and removing the developer's, to front loading all the anime cutscenes with shitty 90s buttrock.

What really pisses me off is they artificially increased the difficulty of the game, because a bunch of fat weeaboos know how to develop and balance a game better than the creators, right?

And it goes without saying that their "localization" sucks complete dick.

From the "You'll pay for this!" caliber bad guys to the dated as fuck surfer lingo, Working Designs might be the worst bunch of hacks to work in the industry.

Fuck you Vic.
>>
>>3556239
Your anger is a little out of date. I'm just glad WD died and Gaijinworks is too poor to get anything worthwhile to ruin.

And now I can play the import of Silhouette Mirage just as easily, so whatever.
>>
>weeb raging about WD in 2016.

wew
>>
>>3556247
ty
>>
>>3556239
I remember their website. In the description of every single game that they translated, they mentioned how they "made" the game.
>>
>>3556239
I rather like the bloodied corpse that is the Vanguard Bandits localization. Has its own retarded charm.
>>
>>3556247
"I'll nevet forgive you" doesn't sound as threatening, though
>>
>>3556239
>I'd *almost* prefer that games they released stayed in Japan instead
Why almost? The only good overseas release are those that keep the original language and nobody did that back then. Any cultivated person could still play them.
>>
>>3556239
if wasn't for wd, i wouldn't have played some classics back then, so i'm grateful

but i really disliked some of their changes, usually to make the games more difficult, exile 2 is broken as fuck
>>
>>3556373
You could play them now without the shitty aftertaste.
>>
I LOVED Working Designs in the 90s and the still have a special place in my heart now. The fact that you only would "almost" prefer the games stayed overseas means you owe Vic Ireland some measure of gratitude, however small. You certainly have no business hating on him.
>>
>>3556242
Fuck off DERAILING TROLL
>>
Daily reminder that the english scripts are written for people who don't know that video games are from Japan, and no amount of whining will make puns about gosekku make sense in english.

You have not been the target audience since you were 8. Sorry.
>>
File: shyna.png (264KB, 500x500px)
shyna.png
264KB, 500x500px
>>3556239
>make SM run less shit on PSX
>then fuck up game balance

For what purpose.
>>
>>3556523
Those peasants don't deserve Japanese games.
>>
I don't get why people get mad over this shit. You don't have to play it, and the importable version still exists. If it isn't to your liking, that's perfectly fine, don't play it. The fact remains that it opened a lot of people up to games they wouldn't have ever played otherwise. Seems silly to be this outraged over literally nothing.
>>
Millenial Entitlement: the thread.

I would be mad if I hadn't already swallowed the black pill.
>>
Fuck Off OP - loved the shooters that they brought over to PS1 and 2
>>
remember when he tried to get $500k so he could translate class of heroes 2
>>
>>3556239
None of this stopped me from enjoying shit like Lunar when I was a kid. I still play Iron Storm from time to time.
>>
>>3557163
Same. Its like bitching about how poorly translated square/ea titles were
>>
>>3557014
should have swallowed the brown pill instead matey
>>
File: never_got_Lunar2_puppet.jpg (688KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
never_got_Lunar2_puppet.jpg
688KB, 2592x1944px
I actually do appreciate the packaging efforts Working Designs had for their releases. All the extra relief, foil, glossy full color pages, and additional bonus items made it so one cannot just make a reproduction/bootleg on the cheap to be worthwhile. Back in my day, reading instruction manuals and finding what was inside packages (like big box PC games) alongside a game was part of the experience of a game to me. Sure, it is meaningless, and wasteful in terms of space and effort eaten up, but I do enjoy the feeling.

However in terms of balance changes, I do prefer the Lunar games in the Japanese form because I felt they flowed much better being "easier" where one isn't desperately needing heals/MP and go through the dungeon keeping the story moving, instead of making the risk/reward decision to leave an area for a full restock at the expense of the area repopulating with standard mobs numbers readjusting to "challenge" the player. Translation and localization will have their issues in not being able to please many. Some references will get dated faster, they were pretty proud of themselves adding a personality trait in "flatulence" to a guy in a tower, but I guess that was their take, and I do see some charm to what WD does sometimes. My rudimentary Japanese does open up some options, and I can respect the difficulty in localizations, however, I do lean a bit to the side of a closer, more faithful option to be available (like how I wish the Disney Blu-ray discs of Ghibli films use "dubtitles" where they pretty much transcribe the dub script as the subtitle for what is said in Japanese, as if that localized script is how it should be) at least an option.

>>3556537
I have not played the Playstation version of Silhouette Mirage and I keep hearing about game balance issues, but I liked the Saturn version a lot and I do not recall it running like shit as described, it seemed to run just fine and I had fun with it.
>>
File: 1475443241767.jpg (342KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1475443241767.jpg
342KB, 2000x1333px
>>3557542
>bubbly letters
>>
>>3556239
They butchered nearly every game they touched.
>>
>>3557665
>They butchered nearly every game they touched.

I hear this every now and again. What are the worst examples of them butchering a port? I played many of their titles back in the day and the games never gave me reason to hate any of them from what I remember.
>>
>>3557542
Nice collection.
>>
File: westernized anime.jpg (35KB, 600x298px) Image search: [Google]
westernized anime.jpg
35KB, 600x298px
This is like bitching about the hacked up westernized DBZ or pokemon from your youth. Games get localized, same as broadcast anime.

At least working designs didn't redraw the cover art for Lunar to feature a conan-type 30 year old warrior as the main character like most other JRPGs suffered from at the time.
>>
>>3558146
>This is like bitching about the hacked up westernized DBZ or pokemon from your youth

USA really got cucked with DBZ though. If I was from USA I'd be mad.
>>
>>3558150
Not anon you were talking to, but I can still agree that USA got cucked. Didn't change the coolness factor of the show for the kids at the time. Sure, we cringe now, but back then? Awesome shit.
Like it or not, some countries just don't handle certain things very well. We can bitch all we want to about WD's 'butchering' now, but unless some /vr/os here are ancient, you didn't know your game was being changed back then, and thought it was awesome to play(well, unless it was buggy/glitchy as fuck...).
>>
>>3558154
Growing up in the 90s I was ready to eat up any anime I could find.
>>
>>3557969
In Popful Mail they increased the damage dealt by enemies a lot and lowered the post-damage invincibility time so much it may as well not have been there at all. This combined with the WD dub team's lmao silly voices make for a pretty frustrating experience.
>>
>>3557969
Exile: Wicked Phenomenon

You'll probably never reach the end though, at least not without cheating and hex editing the game for infinite health (ironically the only way most US gamers ever saw the boss was through the cover art). For you see, Working Designs made a mistake when tweaking the parameters. As Vic explained on NeoGAF: "On Exile 2 it was an issue of limited number of modifications because we weren't doing the game reprogramming, Telenet was. It was a small number of tries. And on the second-to last time, we had it *almost* right, so we added like +1 to the monsters, but it was like that scene with the fat guy in Meaning of Life where the waiter gives him that one wafer and he explodes. That +1 exceeded some limit internally and made the monsters exponentially harder rather than incrementally. Since it was our last "fix" and we had production discs, I thought we were screwed and had made an unwinnable game. Fortunately, with some time and special strategies, we found out you could finish it. We made one of the hardest games ever - by accident."

Vic also gave some tips: "The biggest one is not to try to assault the worst monsters. Just let them hit you in the back, which will throw you backwards (which is really forward since your back is turned). It's an easy way to clear impossible rooms with those dragons that shoot lightning."
>>
>>3558448
If I was a jap producer and i found out some localizers fucked up that badly i'd be livid
>>
>>3556239
>I'd *almost* prefer that games they released stayed in Japan instead
So play the import version only you fucking whiny clown.
>>
>>3556239
You make a lot of good points when it comes to Alundra but I still say that I'm glad they localized it because if they didn't it wouldn't have got an English translation and I would have never got my favourite game.

Still though, the Psygnosis localization is superior to WD
>>
>>3556239
i will never forgive them for wasting resources on magic knight rayearth instead of other saturns games.
>>
>>3558948
Have you played it? The game is pretty solid.
>>
File: exile3.jpg (237KB, 892x873px) Image search: [Google]
exile3.jpg
237KB, 892x873px
>>3556239
To be fair, this IS a sick cover
>>
>>3559001
>making a detailed set of models just for your boxart
these kinda decisions aren't unappreciated, but a big reason why they died
>>
>>3558918
>the Psygnosis localization is superior to WD
How so?
>>
File: vay_cockasaur.jpg (161KB, 963x703px) Image search: [Google]
vay_cockasaur.jpg
161KB, 963x703px
Oh hey, a reason to post these.
>>
File: vay_retardotaur.jpg (121KB, 961x700px) Image search: [Google]
vay_retardotaur.jpg
121KB, 961x700px
>>
File: vay_skank.jpg (126KB, 962x700px) Image search: [Google]
vay_skank.jpg
126KB, 962x700px
>>
File: vay_trap.jpg (132KB, 946x674px) Image search: [Google]
vay_trap.jpg
132KB, 946x674px
>>
>>3559067
>>3559069
>>3559070
>>3559073
How is Vay? Is it a pretty standard RPG? Any estimates on how long it takes to finish? It's been on my backlog forever, but I never had a push to start it.
>>
>>3559141
It's very standard. I don't remember how long it was but standard probably describes the length. Looking back on it there really is nothing special about vay.
>>
>>3557157

Remember when Vic ran WD into the ground trying to get a Goemon game translated?
>>
>>3558998
its pretty lame. there are far more saturn rpgs that wouldve taken far less resources to translate. we could have had a handful of much higher quality games for the same amount of effort they put into that sailor moon esque shit. fuckin hell
>>
>>3558948
I wish they had done Quo Vadis to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=665Osg_IeJs
>>
>>3556239
What sort of mistakes did they make in Dragon Force, Growlanser II, and Thunder Force V?
>>
>>3559175
That's what started the superstition that Goemon translating is cursed isn't it?
>>
>>3559151
>Looking back on it there really is nothing special about vay.

The soundtrack is weird (for the genre) EDM.
>>
>>3556239
kys Vic Ireland is based
>>
>>3559429

t. Vic
>>
>>3559175
sony said no to releasing it, according to vic
>>
Working Designs showing focus on that people in the west wanted these games was good enough for me. Learn to appreciate shit OP.
>>
>>3557542
The ammo system of Silhouette Mirage's US release wound up making using the non Sloth weapons pointless. Gluttony, for instance, consumes ammo too fast to be useful, despite its high power.

Also, you can't absorb energy from any form of Zohar, so the fights against it can be quite dickish since you can't restore your ammo.
>>
>>3557542
>but I liked the Saturn version a lot and I do not recall it running like shit as described, it seemed to run just fine and I had fun with it.

You misread me. The PSX Japanese release ran poorly, but WD optimized it nicely for the rest of the world. Of course, both versions are crap when you bring Saturn SM into the equation. Not sure why WD didn't localize that version instead, but alas.
>>
>>3556239
>buttrock
It's like you don't want to be taken seriously.
>>
>>3556242
How is it that this uneccesarily spaced toss >>3556247 is now considered a more proper paragraph than this >>3556239? How did we get here?
>>
I like the translation for Albert Odyssey.
>>
>>3557014
Ain't no measure of entitlement to expect whoever localizes it to NOT TOUCH THE FUCKING GAME. Good or bad, leave it whole. It's not yours to fuck around with.

And I say this as someone who appreciates what WD did.
>>
>>3559027
They changed some of the dialogue to match the game better, just look at it when you save and load a game, it speaks for itself really. That and Psygnosis rebalanced the game like the original Japanese release.
>>
>>3559361
IIRC something about fudge packing in either dragon force or one of the growlansers.
>>
>>3559975
I thought Working Designs licensed their localisation of the game to Psygnosis, and very few things were changed.

>>3559645
>Not sure why WD didn't localize that version instead, but alas.
Probably because he'd had enough of Bernie.

>>3559832
It has some really stupid pop references.
>>
>>3561930
Run both regions side by side and you'll see what I'm talking about, also Psygnosis got the localization license from SCEI not WD but mainly used WD's work.
>>
>>3558150
Not mexicano maestro raza!
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (37KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
37KB, 480x360px
since this doesnt deserve its own thread, i was wondering if anyone could help me track down scans of a lunar 2 eternal blue psx guide.
>>
>>3559645
Bernie was killing the saturn in the usa. WD saw the huge user base for playstation and wanted in on it.
>>
>>3556283
To me it does.

"You'll pay for this" means you did a wrong that needs to be righted, implying it can still be solved.

"I'll never forgive you" means that whatever wrong you did, it cannot be righted.
>>
>>3566074
Do you not know English? "You'll pay for this" means that I'm going to fucking murder/cripple your retarded ass. Nothing is solved by you getting your spine torn out, it's just straight up revenge.

"I'll never forgive you" can easily imply that someone is just going to stop talking to you. They're on about the same level.

WD is absolute fucking cancer trash, but you're barking up the wrong tree here.
>>
>>3557542
I hated that the stupid map and Lucia's pendant made the game cost more than it should have. I can see the appeal if you're into collecting tchotchkes, but I would have much rather they just released the games.

Credit where credit is due though, for all their fuck ups and shitty translation decisions WD did write a new dungeon theme for the final tower in Lunar 2 which is both surprisingly good and fits with the other music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85epYgHdpSM

Also the guy who plays Ghaleon was awesome.
>>
>>3556239
>>3556239
ITT: "I read a wikipedia article and got really angry."
>>
File: Cadette_Babette_delicious.jpg (544KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Cadette_Babette_delicious.jpg
544KB, 2592x1944px
>>3557652
Oooh, cute Korean girl noticed me.

>>3557973
I am very jealous of the Exile and Cosmic Fantasy 2 which appears to be new and sealed, mine are used, and the cardboard boxes were thrown out back in the day. I don't exactly collect Working Designs games, wish I did, because I am quite jealous of your collection.

>>3559548
Sounds rough. From my memory of playing the Saturn version, it was a bit easy, but gave the player the freedom to use any shot they would want to use (though some more useful in certain situations than others), sort of like Radiant Silvergun.

>>3559645
My mistake in misunderstanding. Very cool pic in original post BTW.

>>3566249
Yeah, they did cost a bit more initially, but as stated, to me it was "bootleg deterrent" but to be fair, as my original image name suggested, EB forgot to give me Lunar 2 hand puppet for preorder in its day, so I am missing a piece.
>>
File: lunar-fuckyouvictorireland.png (14KB, 640x447px) Image search: [Google]
lunar-fuckyouvictorireland.png
14KB, 640x447px
>>3566298
That's what I meant about not being interested in tchotchkes and things, I never imagined any need for a "bootleg deterrent" because I was only interested in the game and never heard of EB or other major chains actually selling bootlegs.

Not the guy you were talking to about Silhouette Mirage, but their changes to that game made me so mad. I had played the Saturn version first and expected it to still be a fast paced action game. But you literally have to energy drain and cash bash almost every enemy you come across just to keep up and it turns the whole thing into a terrible slog.

I give them credit where they occasionally did good, but in general I hated almost everything they did to change the games they ported.
>>
>>3566326
Understandable, to be honest, I've never used the pendant, took it out of its pouch once and thought "that's nice" then put it back in and it just stays in the packaging. However, sometimes I was hyped enough for a game enough to buy a limited or special edition release, made it feel special. It was just what I wasted my money on, but it was, was, my money.

I meant "bootleg deterrent" probably more suited to SegaCD and Saturn releases, since I think 4-color process discs are easier to make these days. Back then when it was not as easy or cheap to come by, the extra effort WD took in their packaging made the games feel special in the sense one just can't make it (back then).

You just made Silhouette Mirage sound awful. As stated in the way I played it (SS) you can choose however you want to play it, and not necessary to shake every enemy down for money. Doing what you want to do empowers a player, and makes them look good at whatever they are doing, but I did admit it was easy.

As for pic, I think WD did a pretty good script in this game. Looking it up on Wikipedia, the sequel was Activision published, and I didn't notice, so Working Designs did get my attention more back then.
>>
So, whats the best way to start learning jap?
>>
>>3566416
Learning Katakana and Hiragana. Doesn't really take more than a few days and already enables to you read some text.
>>
>>3566396
@pic

Because the sequel is in name only and sucks.
>>
File: clinton2.jpg (22KB, 320x240px)
clinton2.jpg
22KB, 320x240px
>>3566396
I think the amount of shit they got for their translations on Sega CD sunk in and their PS ports had less of that stuff. I remember Alundra's writing seeming decent but I never played very far into the game. Same with Growlanser, but that more just felt boring.
>>
>>3566298
Exile and Cosmic Fantasy 2 are both sealed. I got them off ebay a couple of years ago for $60 each. Somebody was selling new old stock and had quite a few of them. There is still a sealed CF2 on ebay for $70.

Also, that copy of Thunder Force V is still sealed, but it's hard to tell from that pic.
>>
Vic Ireland is a closet pedo
>>
>>3566480
Howso?
>>
>>3566427
I'm still really curious ... eBay looks like it goes for $20USD and I am tempted because I loved the first game a lot. I also liked Adventures of Link even though I love the original a lot. Admittedly I did sneak a peek at a bit of a youtube video and it appears to have a very different tone, kinda kiddy Japanese slapstick comedy animation vibe which is somewhat off-putting (not that it's a bad thing). It is even Alundra 2 in Japanese Playstation as well, so I do not know if it just name only. However, for someone poor as I $20 is a bit much for a curiosity. Yet, they don't even have 2 on PSN while the first one is there, it seems to be an obscure game. I am a bit conflicted.
>>
>>3566491
Don't listen to what other people tell you, if the game interests you then give it a try. 20 bucks isn't a lot in the long run and worst case scenario you know first hand that you don't like it.
>>
File: Reverse_order_Memento-style.jpg (636KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Reverse_order_Memento-style.jpg
636KB, 2592x1944px
>>3566456
I wish I could collect, but I'm very poor. basically got those two games in a large bundle with the Duo and TurboExpress back in the day (as described in a different /vr/ thread) but I did know I wanted Cosmic Fantasy 2 for Rimu/Cadette Babette (love at first sight).

Reposting old pic, I never got WD Thunderforce V because the Saturn was my primary system at that time (because I had to flip my Playstation at odd angles to get it to work back then) and funny enough, I think Thunderforce V spent more time in my CD-player than in the Saturn. Did WD add anything to the Playstation version?

>>3566438
I dunno, I still remember on the behind the scenes disc of the first PS Lunar:SSS, how WD was so proud of themselves by giving an NPC a flatulence problem, that they spent like 10 minutes patting themselves on the back for their creativity.

Alundra I suppose is sort of a slow-burn kind of game, and maybe it was a bit tryhard in macabre but I guess in its day, I had more time to burn for JRPGs ... so I can understand why it may not be as good as my nostalgia makes it out to be ...
>>
>>3566542
Ohh yeah you're right, Alundra was before Lunar SSSC. Man them talking about how great the farts were pissed me off.
>>
>>3566426
Yeah, like learning Cyrillic means you can read Russian.
>>
>>3566570
You're not going to get far without it so it's the obvious point to start.
You also become familiar with the sounds of the language.
One difference is that Russian doesn't have Kanji or the like.
>>
>>3566396
Yo anon, which artwork do you have on your copy?
>>
I wish there was a chart showing which Working Designs games are worth buying, and which they fucked up so badly you may as well just buy the jap version.
>>
File: Rate_my_junk.jpg (676KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Rate_my_junk.jpg
676KB, 2592x1944px
>>3567027
It may be better that I stay ignorant of better ones, otherwise I'd feel really inferior.
>>
>>3566486
He plays idol master 24/7 then posts on neogaf pretend it disgusts him.
>>
File: lunar2magic.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px)
lunar2magic.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>
>>3557973
In that collection, are there any games that play and look similar to Lunar 2?
>>
>>3558146
There's a point where you go from localizing to meticulous erasure of another culture. The latter of which often crosses into straight-up racism.
>>
>>3568423
How is that racism? They're replacing a lunch item that's common in one culture with a lunch item that's common in the culture they're localizing it for. There's nothing racist about that.
>>
>>3568423
It's a kids show, not a fucking documentary
>>
I can't seem to find anything in any video game thread on 4chan. Is there a buy/sell general on /v/? I'm looking to get rid of my copy of burning Rangers.
>>
>>3568610
We don't really do those anymore, they didn't work out well. Just use ebay.
>>
>>3567257
Alundra is top 3 at least
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.