[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: the game that made you become a gamer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 21

File: téléchargement.jpg (17KB, 255x197px) Image search: [Google]
téléchargement.jpg
17KB, 255x197px
Pic related. I was just watching my cousin play Super mario Bros on NES and it was cool, thein I tried TMNT and holy shit...

I fell in love with gaming at this moment.
>>
>>3555740
For me it was SMB3 on the NES. I first saw it on that Wizard film, thought it looked cool but wasn't desperate to play it.

At the time I was a Spectrum and DOS gamer - blissfully unaware of how gaming ought to be. A new kid moved into the area and he got a NES with all the Marios and some others.

I couldn't believe how great this was. All the games I'd played on my systems were pretty lame by comparison: sloppy, anally difficult, bedroom coded EuroCrap. But I thought this was how gaming was.

Mario 3 was just mindblowing, not just for its content but for how fluid and amazingly tight the controls were. Like nothing I'd experienced on my keyboard + joystick hack-fests.

The SNES had not long come out and I was certain what I was gonna ask for for Christmas. Then I was showing him the glory of Mario World.

Then, for his birthday not long after Christmas, he got a SNES too, with SFII. Good times.
>>
>>3555740
Ghosts n Goblins... on C64.

Kind of a shit game, but I couldn't get enough of it.
>>
>>3555785
I'm a huge Sonic fag, mais I admit SMB3 is the greatest platformer of all time.
>>
>>3555740
Before Rogue, the games I'd played were just arcadey things like Pac Man, Defender, Asteroids and the like. They were fun, but only held my attention for a little while at a time. But then this game was like nothing else. Terrifying and confusing, I would play for hours and loved it even though I wouldn't even come close to winning until re-discovering it many years later.
>>
>>3555740
This was my first game as well. Took me a couple of years to beat the Dam level because I could not read English and didn't know how to beat it.
>>
File: 1475936626247.jpg (110KB, 960x801px) Image search: [Google]
1475936626247.jpg
110KB, 960x801px
>>
>>3555740
How could anybody fall in love with the first tmnt?
>>
>>3555790
Ghosts n Goblins on NES for me.
>>
File: TMTN3_CoverArt.jpg (45KB, 250x349px) Image search: [Google]
TMTN3_CoverArt.jpg
45KB, 250x349px
>>3555740
Similar for me.
>>
Gamer is such a retarded term. Anyway I guess SMB1 since it was the first game I played so naturally I wanted to play other ones and it mushroomed from there.
>>
>>3555740
I had a C64 before I had an NES, so I'd probably have to give credit to Time Tunnel on C64.
Though, I'd have to say I have better memories of NES games in general than of C64 games.
>>
>>3557462

Masochists, I would imagine. Or people who played it before ever trying the arcade game.
>>
>>3557462
OP here, I dunno, but I was a kid who would get in trouble just to get spankings, so there's that.
>>
File: prehistorik-ss1.gif (15KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
prehistorik-ss1.gif
15KB, 320x200px
>>3555740
I started gaming on my dad's WIN98 pc (I still own the thing).
The first game I ever beat was Prehistorik.
After that I fell in love with Apogee.
>>
File: secret agent.gif (2MB, 348x211px) Image search: [Google]
secret agent.gif
2MB, 348x211px
My dad was really into computers so we always had computers around. Every time my dad worked at home and had to do some calls he just put some game on and let the computer do the babysitting. Mostly just some shareware Apogee games such as Crystal Caves, Secret Agent, Commander Keen etc.
Later on my older brother would get (pirate) some fancier games such as Monkey Island. Point'n'click adventures are still my favorite gaming genre.
>>
>>3558752
mind if you elaborate?
>>
>>3559764
I used to play that on my WIN3.11 PC.
>>
Pic related, Pac-Man, and Frogger on the 2600 were the big ones that started it all.
>>
>>3559824
I could tell that your pic was an Apogee game purely from the art style. I don't know what the "thing" about the art is but it's got it written all over it.
>>
>>3562014
And?
>>
File: header.jpg (18KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
18KB, 460x215px
RTCW, one of my favorite games as I was a teen. I remember playing on my families old Dell. Man it was the shit, I even got my old man to play it a few times. I actually also like "Croc: The Legend of Gobbos," I'd kill to find a copy of it.
>>
>>3557462
It's not a bad game.
>>
File: Adventure_Box_Front.jpg (25KB, 270x376px) Image search: [Google]
Adventure_Box_Front.jpg
25KB, 270x376px
Adventure is my earliest memory of gaming. But I'm not sure if it made me a gamer. I think it was something from the NES era that sparked it. Probably Kid Icarus, Kung-Fu, Super Mario Bros., or Zelda.
>>
>>3555793
Nice french slip friend ;)
>>
>>3562804
People calling themselves x-fags is as old as 4chan.
>>
>>3555740
ARE YOU ME?
>>
>>3562031
It's that comfy Apogee trademark feeling. It's like a little kid imagined it, and it's good.
>>
File: Darkwing_Duck_box.jpg (37KB, 255x350px) Image search: [Google]
Darkwing_Duck_box.jpg
37KB, 255x350px
The NES in my house was my brother's, but sometimes I play Antarctic Adventure casually or TMNT2 co-op with him. Pic related was the first single player game I really wanted to finish by myself.

Never played any Megaman until I'm like 9 years old.
>>
File: pic-cl.png (26KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
pic-cl.png
26KB, 320x200px
>>3559764
Loved that one. Played it on my Amiga and Prehistorik 2 on an IBM. Those were the games that got me into the platforming genre.
>>
>>3562831
Mais he wasn't referring to the fag thing, mais who cares.
>>
File: Mega_Man_(DOS)_01.png (4KB, 640x384px) Image search: [Google]
Mega_Man_(DOS)_01.png
4KB, 640x384px
>>3555740
Megaman.

What more could there be to say? It was megaman, nothing could be unusual about that.
>>
File: dave2.gif (16KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
dave2.gif
16KB, 640x400px
>>3555740
I played this on a laptop with monochrome orange display
>>
File: golden axe 2.jpg (137KB, 756x482px) Image search: [Google]
golden axe 2.jpg
137KB, 756x482px
Golden Axe II or Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2.

Born in 1995, but all I can remember of my childhood is coming home from nursery and seeing my brother and cousin pounding through Megadrive games, Golden Axe II just happened to be the one that appealed to me most.

Got THPS2 for Christmas back in 2000, was the happiest day of my life
>>
File: alleycat1.gif (12KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
alleycat1.gif
12KB, 640x400px
It was a pretty crappy game, but for some reason I liked it.
>>
What game do you think turned 8 bit brody into a gamer?
>>
Double Dragon. You're saying I get to 1v1 my cousin and co-op that shit all in one? Put me in a casket and sign me up, bruddah.
>>
File: aliensoldier-3.png (12KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
aliensoldier-3.png
12KB, 320x224px
When I first played this game on Sega Channel back in the 90s.

That was the time, this game and Landstalker were the point at which I stopped being a casual forever.
>>
Plain and simple, it was Mario. The whole NES trilogy.
>>
>>3564030
>>3562027
Alley cat, Diggers, and 2600 stuff like Haunted House and Air Sea Battle were some of the first games I ever played. Those were entertaining fwiw as a pastime.

But it wasn't until games like "Buck Rogers on the IBM" or "Rockman on the Nintendo" where I wanted to have more time playing them and preferred staying at home to play instead of going to the neigbourhood park with all the other kids.

So yeah I have to give it to early DOS and NES games.
>>
>>3562048
Please tell me you mean Wolf3d, RTCW isn't retro.
>>
YOU ARE STANDING AT THE END OF A ROAD BEFORE A SMALL BRICK BUILDING.
AROUND YOU IS A FOREST. A SMALL STREAM FLOWS OUT OF THE BUILDING AND
DOWN A GULLY.
>>
I was born into a gamer environment. My brother had a PS1 and SNES, so from my earliest memories I was always surrounded by video games. I can't remember my first video game, only the first ones I owned personally. It's a foreign idea not being a gamer.
>>
File: impossible-mission.png (66KB, 1276x799px) Image search: [Google]
impossible-mission.png
66KB, 1276x799px
I was so addicted to this game as a child...
>>
>>3555740
My brother got a sega genesis before I was born so I started playing that at age 3 or so.. nothing in particular really got me into it, but fuck... counter-strike 1.5 & 1.6 got me hooked
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (84KB, 632x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
84KB, 632x720px
>>3555740
1943. I think I was maybe 7 or so and arcades were in full boom but I just thought they were like electronic pinball or something. We went to a roller rink and my mom and dad were like "Hey Anon likes planes, this game has planes in it!" I had to stand on a box to reach the controls. Anyway it only took a few minutes before my brain was blown the fuck out. I went home with images of it dancing in my head for days.

That christmas I got my first NES with 1943 for it. I never made the connection that the super fucking awesome game i played in the arcade might be on the nintendo, it just never occured to me. So when I saw the nintendo and the game I freaked out in the best way possible.

I also knew it was super expensive, not like some gi joes or whatever, so it was my pride and joy. I still own it and the game to this day and still love the shit out of them
>>
>>3555740
That's a tough question for me, because what actually made me fall in love with gaming is overall interactivity while graphix looked like actual cartoons.

When my dad brought Sega Genesis with Street Fighter 2 I was amazed, it looked like a cartoon, but you like controlled what was going on on screen. So I guess more or less definitive answer is Street Fighter 2, even though these days I am definitely rusty. So I was always looking forward to games that were actually based on cartoons, like Tiny Toon Adventures, Flinstones, Quackshot that seriously needs more attention to it, it's not just good Donald Duck game, it's a great platformer perfectly on its own.
>>
File: image.jpg (132KB, 620x607px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132KB, 620x607px
My dad bought me and my older sister original Game Boys a little before I was born so I started playing games before I could walk.

I had Super Mario Land I and II, Tetris, Dr. Mario, and The Simpsons Escape From Camp Deadly.

Pic related was one of the ones I played the most.
>>
Pac-Man.

I was 3 or 4 and we had an Atari 800 that had Pac-Man. My dad let me play it after I'd watched him play it a number of times. He showed me what to do, then I took my first spin at it as my parents watched.

I actually managed to get past the first board on my last life, and my parents both applauded (because parents do that when you're tiny), and I was thrilled - my little kid brain thought I'd conquered all, and I was hooked from then on.
>>
My dad and older brother introduced me to games young, but I didn't really get into them until Touhou Lotus Land Story. Don't know how my dad got ahold of a PC-98 or the game, but I fucking loved it and still do. Then Kid Klown in Crazy Chase solidified my interest in games for good. We had a SNES before then, but the only game we had was Star Trek TNG which is hard as balls and confusing as shit.
>>
>>3572190
I'm calling bullshit, no one gave a crap about Touhou until the windows era.
>>
>>3572192
No bullshit. He got it with a bunch of other games I can't remember except for Curse of Castle. I don't know if he already knew about it or just acquired it by random, but I'm glad he did. Too bad I couldn't read it.
>>
>>3567597
No one?
Am I that old?
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.