[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Search PSX on Google >second image GEEEEEE, I WONDER WHY

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 26

File: PSX.jpg (2MB, 4140x1900px) Image search: [Google]
PSX.jpg
2MB, 4140x1900px
Search PSX on Google

>second image

GEEEEEE, I WONDER WHY
>>
It's all part of a big hoax, your pic was always called a PS1. Sony knew they were going to make a PS2 so they called the PS1 PS1 beforehand. But underages believed the PSX meme and shit is now out of control, internet is a good tool to spread missinformation, hence people actually believing the term PSX was ever used.
>>
>>3555672
it was PS until they came put with the small version they called PSOne right before the release of the PS2
>>
>>3555675
Not, it was always the PS1, you would know it if you weren't underage and actually lived through the 90s just like me. PS and PSX is modern underage shit.
>>
>now we pre-emptively reverse reality in our shitposts
>>
>>3555693

I had a snes and later a play station. Why would they ever call it playstation 1 if the posibility of a playstation 2 is in far future?

Wouldn't it weaken the name? Calling something playstation 1 instead of playstation, even if it doesn't exist, yet?

I think >>3555675 is right.

>>3555693, maybe your memory is failing you. Otherwise, please give proof for your claims.
>>
>>3555668
lol it's the psx. the psx
>>
>>3555693
>hurr underage
I grew up with PS1 too

it says PSOne right on the disc cover dude
>>
File: Katamarithumb8dz.jpg (68KB, 1000x730px) Image search: [Google]
Katamarithumb8dz.jpg
68KB, 1000x730px
>>3555709
see?
>>
maybe it is called the psx, because psx means, you can call it:
playstation
and
playstation 1
or
even refer to the psOne console.

Maybe psx means playstation, but whichever version it is. The old one or the psOne.
>>
>>3555709
Only the newer, smaller version.
>>
>>3555672
>>3555675
>>3555693
Open up the PS1 bios in a hex editor and you'll see that that console calls itself PS-X.

It's an official name. Live with it.
>>
>>3555714
Oh, so you're a fellow oldfag, glad I'm not the only one left. That's a great PS1 Fat btw.

>>3555706
No, they called the PS1 the PS1 in an endearing way, to prepare us for all the great things they were going to create.
>please give proof for your claims.
proven >>3555714
>>
>>3555721
A hidden project name is an official name?

This is what an official name looks like: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX_(digital_video_recorder)#Features
>>
>>3555723
"ps1? great things will come? Ok Than this ps1 isn't so great huh? Maybe I should wait for the ps2 then."
>>
>>3555723
I remember the "PlayStation" just being the "PlayStation" for a long time. It wasn't called psOne before the psOne console was released or the ps2 were announced.

People today call it ps1 so much that they forget what it was called when it was brand new.
>>
>>3555739
>People today call it ps1 so much that they forget what it was called when it was brand new.
It was always called the PS1, you're just too young to remmeber, the second model you're talking about was the PS1 Slim. Jesus please educate yourself.
>>
In the commercials they call it "Playstation":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9YrEHKeJAU

When you turn on the console, it says "Playstation"

Back in the day, it was called "Playstation". Later it was called the "Playstation 1". Why? So you know which console is being reffered to.

If you say Playstation it could also mean the newest Playstation, or which ever is dominant on the market, right now.
>>
>>3555668
Triangle button, so Illuminati confirmed.
>>
I'm glad you're so dedicated to your shitposting in this thread. It keeps you out of other threads.
>>
>>3555741
I'm 30, lol.

I remember it when it was brand new. My childhood friends and me played the DemoOne with the virtual T-Rex.
>>
>>3555753
I'm 60, kiddo.

>>3555748
Not OP tho, but the thread was shit from the start so may as well have some fun.
>>
File: The Making of Playstation 1.png (716KB, 1019x1186px) Image search: [Google]
The Making of Playstation 1.png
716KB, 1019x1186px
>>3555756
I'll just leave this here but don't let it worry you I'm sure all the children won't read it because it's, like, long and stuff.
>>
File: The Making of Playstation 2.jpg (266KB, 1019x1186px) Image search: [Google]
The Making of Playstation 2.jpg
266KB, 1019x1186px
>>
File: The Making of Playstation 3.jpg (169KB, 1019x1186px) Image search: [Google]
The Making of Playstation 3.jpg
169KB, 1019x1186px
>>
File: The Making of Playstation 4.jpg (257KB, 1019x1186px) Image search: [Google]
The Making of Playstation 4.jpg
257KB, 1019x1186px
>>
File: The Making of Playstation 5.jpg (271KB, 1019x1186px) Image search: [Google]
The Making of Playstation 5.jpg
271KB, 1019x1186px
>>
File: The Making of Playstation 6.jpg (253KB, 1019x1186px) Image search: [Google]
The Making of Playstation 6.jpg
253KB, 1019x1186px
>>3555771
>>
File: The Making of Playstation 7.jpg (285KB, 1019x1186px) Image search: [Google]
The Making of Playstation 7.jpg
285KB, 1019x1186px
Dang, messed up my nice smooth combo. Might as well write something else while I'm waiting for the cooldown timer.

Ummmm... N64 has no gaemz
>>
why would ANYONE have called it the ps1 if the commercials don't, the box of the console doesn't the manual doesn't, the games don't. The boot screen won't call it a playstation 1 either.

Only the super secret club who knew the next console will be called a playstation 2 instead of playstation silver, or playstation evolution, or whatever. I guess.

"Do you have a playstation 1"
"What? What are you talking about, why won't you just say playstation."
"Because when the playstation 2 will be released, we can't call it playstation anymore, this way I'm already prepared."
"Playstation 2, wtf are you talking about, I never heard of a Playstation 2."
"You will. Now I have to leave you and travel back to the future with my time machine."
>>
>>3555779
>not even throwing in a cuck meme reference
do you even 4chan?
>>
>>3555779
PS2 was common knowledge, Sony even showed some diagrams with their plans up to the PS3, so the term PS1 was all the rage in Magazines and internet. Maybe you just never looked there? Too young to have dial-up?
>>
We all called it Playstation X back then, it was just cool to do.
>>
>>3555797
But I think, not before the first picture of the playstation 2 was released.

I started to have Internet, in times of International Ragnarok Online beta.

Maybe it was a popular term on the internet. But it was not an official name back then. It was the playstation on common media, and only changed when the playstation 2 and it's pending release became public knowledge.

On the internet, it may be whole different thing.

I guess I'm talking more about tv and magazines.
>>
it's not PSX
it's not PS1
it's not PS
it's not PSOne

it's playstation, PLAYSTATION
get it right already you idiots
>>
>second image

Right, because the first result was the actual PSX, not the unofficial name given by westos journos.

Official abbreviation of this load time simulator machine was PS. Get over it, fuckos.
>>
>>3555810
Not him, and I honestly can't remember the first time I heard someone say PS1. But I do remember that when the PSone model was released that it felt like a reference to the thing being called the PS1. In my memory PS1, PSX and playstation were all terms I heard used to some degree.
>>
The problem is the PSX exists now.

So to avoid confusion, one should always use PS1.

One should never have to suffex "PSX" with "the dvr" when talking about it.
>>
>>3555728
That's the PSX, not the PS-X.
>>
File: PS logo.jpg (54KB, 1164x1080px) Image search: [Google]
PS logo.jpg
54KB, 1164x1080px
>>3555853
>Official abbreviation of this load time simulator machine was PS. Get over it, fuckos.

The official logo for playstation is also just "PS". Pic very related.
>>
Back in the 90s people used the abbreviation PSX because it was the codename (Play Station X) and the name used in early marketing. It was also used in devkits and in internal libraries. People following the console market always knew about the console as the PSX. The X was dropped by media eventually because normies did not know where it came from, and explaining it would have been too difficult for normies.

psOne was the later smaller model of the same console.

PS1 is the retroactive abbreviation by millennals whose first console was the PS2 or PS3. It came to use to differentiate between the first Playstation and the later ones that followed.

The DVD recorder also called PSX was what Sony recycled the project name for, and that thing flopped so hard that nobody gives a shit about it. Plus it played PS2 games, so if you wanted to talk about games that play on that recorder, you'd say PS2 games. PSX games were games for the original Playstation.

Anyone telling otherwise is just trolling at this point.
>>
Gamefan used PSX a lot, I think that's where I picked it up.
>>
>>3555884
>Anyone telling otherwise is just trolling at this point.
>>3555854 here, and I know I heard the term PS1 before the PSone was announced. It felt like a direct reference to people calling it the PS1. PSone was fairly late in the cycle though, I don't remember that part but very likely the PS2 was at least known about by that time.
>>
Gaming mags in the UK called it PSX. I even remeber reading in one of the Q&A bits at the back that they called it that due it being the 10th redesign of the PS before release.
>>
>>3555884
>Back in the 90s people used the abbreviation PSX because it was the codename (Play Station X) and the name used in early marketing

Vaguely. Referenced by maybe one or two game magazines in the "coming soon" section.

You very seldom saw the word PSX in a published playstation article in any game magazine after it's release. You did not see rental stores or retailer that advertised "PSX titles". Journalists in particular did not use that name.

The PSX name mostly gained popularity in the early emulator and mod chip community on both IRC and usenet. Both Bleem and ePSXe (the later for obvious reasons) used the PSX abbreviation as that was the preferred online slang that people used when looking for disc images in the late 90s.

Younger Millennials grew up downloading more games than they bought so it makes sense they favor PSX while gamers from the era typically only knew it as the playstation and nothing else.
>>
>>3555884
>abbreviation by millennals
>>3555925
>Younger Millennials

This term is so useless.
>>
This problem would end if people who use PSX just admit they use it because it looks "kewl" while acknowledging it's not an official abbreviation.

It's as if some people wanted to call the N64 the "Ultra 64". Although at least Ultra 64 was at some point actually used in the design, PSX seems to have been just a SCEA thing that got scrapped quickly, but vidya magazines kept using god knows why.
>>
>>3555926

Millennials covers a very wide range going back to the late 70s. Younger millennials are the ones who had highspeed internet in their teen years (along with the mP3 culture and everything else that came with it). Older millennials peaked earlier.
>>
>>3555931

>late 70s

All definitions of millennials I've read state it's from 1980 to 1990 or so, which I find logical. Although I guess between 1979 and 1980 there isn't that much of a difference. Anyway it's hard to catalog generations, and "millennial" has kind of become a buzzword, a derogatory term to just call out people you don't agree with.
I prefer to use Gen Y.

By the way, I'm 1985, am I supposed to be a younger millennial? I had high speed internet when I was 15.
>>
>>3555929
>but vidya magazines kept using god knows why

Only a few. Most editors liked to see PlayStation typed in full. I can't recall ever seeing the word "PSX" appear in Gamepro, as an example.
>>
>>3555914
PSone was released next to the PS2.

Nobody called the original Playstation as PS1, not until the PS2 came out. Because until then, there were no other Playstations, so the PS1 was THE Playstation.

>>3555919
Over here they called it PSX until circa 1997 when someone sent a letter asking what the X stands for, the editor said that they don't remember anymore, and after that they started using PS instead.

>>3555925
PSX was the official codename of the thing when in development, and used in early marketing material. Again, people who followed the console market always knew it as PSX. Everybody in the 90s knew of this. The fact that you are arguing against it shows that you are either trolling, or you were too young to actually play PS1 games when the console was on the market.

Emulators did not use PSX because it was online slang, but because it was the codename of the emulator. Same reason why you have a Gamecube emulator called Dolphin.

>>3555929
PSX was used in the actual console too. See:
https://tcrf.net/PlayStation
>PS-X Realtime Kernel Ver.2.5
>PS-X ROM monitor Ver.2.3
>PSX.EXE
>>
>>3555931
>Millennials covers a very wide range going back to the late 70s.

Which is why it's completely useless. Especially when you have to start identifying old ones and new ones based on what age they were when they got certain kinds of internet.

People's experiences are far too varied to lump them into reliable piles based on age.
>>
>>3555762
>>3555763
>>3555764
>>3555769
>>3555771
>>3555773
>>3555774

what magazine are these from?
>>
>>3555937

1976 or 1979 is the start of the millennials depending on who you ask, and ending in the mid to late 80s. You are indeed on the tail end of them (at least a console generation newer and high speed internet in your teen years, but it is the internet culture that made the difference).
>>
>>3555672
>internet is a good tool to spread missinformation
It's refreshing to see such honesty in shitposts.
>>
>>3555937
I use Millennals for the kids who already had Facebook and internet culture from their childhood, meaning they were born in the late 90s.

Basically the children of Gen X-ers (Gen X being the youth of the 80s-90s).
>>
>>3555949
No. If you were born in 1979 then you are a Gen X-er.

Millennials are the Facebook children.
>>
>>3555951

Those are post-Millennials or the "iGeneration". Some don't start the iGeneration until those born after 9/11.

I guess it depends what you consider more culturally significant landmarks: the war on terror or iPhone/facebook?
>>
>>3555938
That's a 1999 magazine though. By that time people gravitated towards dropping the X because nobody remembered what it was used for anymore. And the PS2 was already announced.
>>
>>3555956

Gen-X were born in the 60s through the mid-late 70s. Their teen or early adult years were the 80s.

There is obviously overlap as these are all so poorly defined, but later gen-X cross overlap with early millennial. Both gen-X and millennials try to claim grunge as an example (Gen-X were the people in clubs seeing the music live, while millennials were the 14 year olds watching Nirvana unplugged on MTV).
>>
>>3555746
This
>>
>>3555668
it was named "play station" when it was just a snes' add-on, after the deal with nintendo was broken. it was renamed "play station x" or "psx" for short

but it was just the codename, when the console was officially released, it was just "playstation" or "ps" for short (and "ps1" after the release of the ps2)

calling the ps1 "psx" makes as much sense as calling the genesis/megadrive "mark v"
>>
>>3555996
>or "ps" for short
Seriously now, I never saw PlayStation being shortened as "ps", it was psx at first and then ps1
>>
>>3555693
Microsoft also called their OG Xbox the 'Xbox1'..
Apple called their first iPhone the 'iPhone1'..
etc.
Oh no wait, no they didn't, you moron.
>>
File: gs - ign.png (124KB, 390x349px) Image search: [Google]
gs - ign.png
124KB, 390x349px
>>3556006
<<

ign and gamespot pages
>>
>>3556006
>Seriously now, I never saw PlayStation being shortened as "ps"

Japanese magazines used "PS" as abbreviation.
On Yahoo Auctions Japan, japanese still use "PS" to abbreviate the PS1 on publications. Same as how SS is Sega Saturn, FC is Famicom and SFC is Super Famicom.
Never seen anything japanese using "PSX", seems to be a western thing.
>>
>>3555948
Edge, December 1999
>>
>>3555859
Why would anyone ever talk about it?
>>
>>3555756
I'm 120.
>>
I only remember it being called the Playstation officially, aside from the slim model, which was called the PSOne.
>>
>>3555925
>You very seldom saw the word PSX in a published playstation article in any game magazine after it's release
Except everywhere notably including but not remotely limited to the fucking cover of every issue of the official Playstation magazine from 1995 through 1997.

If you're still the same shitposting troll I have to commend you on your commitment
>>
>>3556031
My bad. Seems like an anglo thing, should have checked it.

>>3556034
Well I can confirm they used psx in shit tier Europe so the name isn't exclusive to America and Britain either.
>>
>>3556052

>OFFICIAL MAGAZINE
>The cover says the #1 unofficial magazine

I don't even
>>
File: 1474786961213.jpg (32KB, 380x162px) Image search: [Google]
1474786961213.jpg
32KB, 380x162px
>>3555672
>>
File: sad.jpg (82KB, 759x573px) Image search: [Google]
sad.jpg
82KB, 759x573px
>Three thread on the first page discussing about the PSX
>mfw
>>
>>3556065

I heard it stands for X-Treme
>>
>>3556069

It's a war about who had it the realest.
Only kiddies call it PS1, and only clueless western pigs call it PSX.
>>
File: official playstation magazine.jpg (411KB, 1283x836px) Image search: [Google]
official playstation magazine.jpg
411KB, 1283x836px
>>3556052

Here is the official magazine. I skimmed it and found dozens of "PS" abbreviations and "playstation" occurrences in this 1997 issue, but did not see any "PSX" instances.
>>
When can we call this a fucking checkmate?

https://web.archive.org/web/19981212020553/http://psx.ign.com/
>>
>>3556136

>IGN

What checkmate? that's not official. We've been saying non-official journos were calling it "PSX" in the west.
>>
File: fishing_babe131362276831.jpg (27KB, 304x400px) Image search: [Google]
fishing_babe131362276831.jpg
27KB, 304x400px
>>3556069
OP is a master fisherman, he baited so hard that his bait wanted to make it's own bait. It's like a fish ouroboros. All over people arguing about something completely pointless.
>>
>>3556136
>>3556142
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/916392-playstation/faqs

Look at all those text documents, nearly all of them call it the PSX.

You can also look up the user written FAQs for the games. Nearly all the older ones, written during the lifespan of the console, call it PSX.
>>
>>3556213
>http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/
>/ps/

neat.

Overall PSX seems to be a very regional thing or it depends on which gamer community you belonged to.
>Early pre-release fan communities stuck to the PSX name mentioned in magazines
>Usenet was mostly PSX (especially rec.games.video.sony) due to the reason above
>Most mainstream game magazines did not
>official Sony publications used PS or just PlayStation
>some UK magazines used PSX
>no retailers used it
>Blockbuster and most other game rental places didn't use it
>the warez community exclusively used PSX (but this was Usenet driven in the early days)

Amusingly Usenet called the PS2 the "PSX2" until the system was actually released. They really, really liked the X.
>>
>>3556274
>Overall PSX seems to be a very regional thing or it depends on which gamer community you belonged to.

I have tired to say this repeatedly both in these and the endless SNES vs ESS ENN EE ESS fights and almost no one ever takes notice. We're people of many ages from all over the world, of course we will have encountered very different things. Anyone trying to say "No one ever used that term" or "everyone called it this" is a complete fool.
>>
>>3556274
>neat.

That's the current URL in 2016.

Now let's see what it was before that:

in 1996 to 1997:
http://web.archive.org/web/19961223185936/http://www.gamefaqs.com/
http://web.archive.org/web/19970415095937/http://www.gamefaqs.com/home.html
it was psx.html.

in 1998, it was PSX.
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://gamefaqs.com/sony/psx/

from 1999 to 2007, it was still PSX.
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/index.html

And again, look up any FAQs written in the 90s: many of them also call the console PSX.

And again:
- the console development codename was Playstation X
- Sony itself called it PSX in early marketing material
- the console boot rom calls itself PSX.EXE.
>>
>>3556285

The faqs from the 90s all came from Usenet. That is to be expected. It was Usenet (and the text limitations) that came up with the near standardized game faq format in the first place.
>>
>>3556274
>some UK magazines used PSX
Most of Continental Europe too, not just the UK.
>>
>>3556285
>That's the current URL in 2016.
There's a reason why all mainstream gaming sites have changed the abbreviation with the time: "PS" is and always was the official abreviation.

I still use "PSX" from time to time, though. An old habit.

>the console boot rom calls itself PSX.EXE.
Software leftover from the prototype, more common than you think.
>>
File: revenge_jacket.jpg (41KB, 1024x337px) Image search: [Google]
revenge_jacket.jpg
41KB, 1024x337px
>>3556310
>Software leftover from the prototype, more common than you think.

Pic related. Same idea.

Most of the filming permits and studio documents for Return of the Jedi say "revenge of the Jedi because" it was a working title and Lucas was unhappy with it.
>>
>>3556317
>>3556310
It may be a leftover title, but the fact exists that it was used commonly by a large number of people.

Including actual retailers.
>>
>>3556213
And GameFAQS' Playstation section was called PSX back in the 90s as well
>>
>>3555672

>I never read a videogame magazine in my life
>>
>>3555714
>that sexy little redesign

But I'm trying not to fap, anon
>>
File: nobait.jpg (18KB, 373x322px) Image search: [Google]
nobait.jpg
18KB, 373x322px
>>3555672
>>
>>3555774
Thanks anon, was a fun read
>>
>>3555773
Underage shitters eternally BTFO

PSX from the start confirmed

You can shut the fuck up now, kids
>>
>>3556213
>>3556469

What are you guys trying to prove? Nobody is saying "PSX" wasn't used in the 90s, but that it was used unofficially, as the examples you're providing.

Anyway, call it PSX or PS1, it's the same. Official abbreviation is simply PS.
>>
>>3556510

>SCEA

It's still pseudo-official surname given by the american branch and quickly dumped.

come back to me when SCEJ called it PSX.
>>
In short, Japan likes simple and elegant names, hence the simple "PS" abbreviation.

Westerners like edgy and flashy names, so they tried to rename it PSX but failed since Sony is, ultimately, japanese.
>>
>>3556517
>moving the goalposts

I remember when the argument was NO ONE CALLED IT THE PSX LEL.
Now its "This specific branch of sony didn't call it the PSX"

You're fucking stupid, how old are you?
>>
>>3556412

>Including actual retailers.
>mar 1995

That pic you posted is from the pre-release era when it was still thought to be called the PSX in America. They were importing a Japanese playstation and launch titles half a year before the American launch.
>>
>>3556517
>quickly dumped

No it wasn't.

>SCEJ

They called it プレイステーション . What does that have to do with anything? No one cares or is talking about what it was referred to as in languages other than English.
>>
>>3555717
Not unreasonable, but PSX never refers to the PS2 and 3?
Also, usage of PSX predates the actual PSX device and the PSone and PS2

>>3555773
So:
>PSX was an internal code name.

>PS vs PSX was something fought about internally.

>PSX was used in some industry promotional material.

>Polygon man needs the correct shaders or someone's getting a cap in their ass.
>>
>>3556525

I never said "no one called it the psx", stop projecting your antagonism with other posters with me.
I always acknowledged "PSX" was used by unofficial publications in the 90s, but was never used officially, except on the very early stages on the american branding, but was ultimately scrapped.

Actually, SCEA could have called it PSX, I guess. The same way in America the Famicom was renamed NES. Then "PSX" would be official. But as it stands, it's still unofficial, and the reason most people today keep using "PSX" isn't because of early 95 SCEA PR stuff, but because of unofficial magazines that kept calling it PSX throughout the rest of the decade, while Sony never used any other abbreviation than PS.
>>
>>3556547
>プレイステーション

That's katakana for PlayStation, it's not a japanese word.
>>
File: $_1[1].jpg (46KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
$_1[1].jpg
46KB, 400x400px
>>3555850
Playstation can also refer to the entire brand of products. It's undesirable, even if it's correct.

>>3556052
If I recall my lore, they wanted to be playstation magazine, but couldn't get that because it's a trademarked name, so they went with PSX.

Later, they said the X stood for EXTREME!. Being the 90's, it fit right in with the gestalt.
>>
>>3555668
dat Mandela effect
>>
Wasn't around 1995 that the X-Files craze started as well? Maybe it had something to do with Sony of America wanting to force the X.
>>
>>3556550

I honestly think the usenet community (source of early FAQs, mod chips, and emualtors) is the reason the PSX name survived past the 90s. Gamers under 30 barely even read the magazines and most were dying off as the internet replaced them.

In the old usenet FAQ they didn't even know what the X stands for or why they call it the PSX. They were just used to calling it that before it launched and it was easy to type.
>>
>>3556562

This isn't mandela effect. My old vidya magazines still say "PSX". But they're not official. That's the whole point of the discussion.

Basically:

>pleb oldfags think by calling it "psx" they're being true niggas because they can remember reading psx in magazines
>pleb underages think they're smart by trolling oldfags because they knew the console as ps1
>true patricians know it was always just PS

There isn't really much else to discuss.
>>
File: typical comic book from 1995.jpg (73KB, 395x590px) Image search: [Google]
typical comic book from 1995.jpg
73KB, 395x590px
>>3556560
>Being the 90's, it fit right in with the gestalt.

Did it ever.
>>
File: shitpost_locuras_del_emperador.gif (3MB, 600x324px) Image search: [Google]
shitpost_locuras_del_emperador.gif
3MB, 600x324px
>>3555668
>>
>>3556469
>GameFAQs
This is the reason it became known as the PSX. Every system on GameFAQs has a three letter abbreviation, which is why 'GCN' was the Game Cube.
>>
>>3556546
>That pic you posted is from the pre-release era

PSX launched in 1994 December, so the pic is not pre release era.
>>
>>3556565
Gaming magazines over here used PSX abbreviation for years, back when nobody had internet (it only became more common by the late 90s, at which point mags switched to PS).
>>
>>3556609
>This is the reason it became known as the PSX.

No, it was PSX because the console was called that early on.

If GameFAQs could've arbitrarily decide the name on their own, it would've been SPS for Sony Playstation.
>>
>>3556683
>PSX launched in 1994 December, so the pic is not pre release era.

The Japanese release was almost a year earlier than the American release. The date you are looking for is September 9, 1995.
>>
>>3555668
I call it psx out of principle to make the autists wail.
>>
>>3555693
t. 90sbabby pretending to be an oldfag.

Nobody called the psx the "ps1" before PS2 came out you shitter. The 'psone' slim console was released after PS2 released, which is why Sony called it the psone. So many shitters on this bitch pretending to be old, jesus. What do you cucks even get out of pretending to be old anonymously? Pls kyss.
>>
>>3556036
You must mean 2009
>>
>>3555672
Retard, the first playstation was regularly referred to as PSX all throughout its lifespan.
>>
>>3555668
>le PSX bait thread
>over 100 replies
>This isn't the first time this happened
You have 1 chance to explain why this isn't the most autistic board.
>>
>>3556750
>The Japanese release was almost a year earlier than the American release. The date you are looking for is September 9, 1995.

So now the relevant thing is the American release of the console, but then you also argue that the Japanese always just called it Playstation and never PSX.

Stop cherry picking.
>>
>>3557064
This is our sub/dub war and just like that one, it's never gonna end.
>>
File: PSX.jpg (311KB, 1420x897px) Image search: [Google]
PSX.jpg
311KB, 1420x897px
>>3555668
>>
>>3557532
>that VCD attachment

Never seen that before. Something new everyday
>>
File: 1474108398264.png (52KB, 203x209px) Image search: [Google]
1474108398264.png
52KB, 203x209px
>>3555938
>Our answer: Zelda.
>>
>>3556516
Why are you making such a big deal out of it, you fucking pedophile?
>>
>>3556008
To be fair, iPhones were not numbered from the start, were they? IIRC, it went from iPhone to iPhone 3G
>>
>>3555756
>I'm 60, kiddo.
Maybe your memory is starting to go to shit?
>>
>>3556040
Why wouldnt people?

The reverse applies too.
Ive seen many clarify "not the dvr" when talking about the original playstation.
>>
>>3555693
are you retarded, had the original brick playstation day of release and it was called the just playstation tell the mini version came out faggot.

Also anyone else remember the absolutely horrid nightmares from playing resident evil in elementary school? Was only in 1st grade, shit fucked me up!
>>
Why would you intentionally use a more ambiguous term

Why would you intentionally use a term that conflicts with the established pattern

And why do people treat it as such a personal thing
>>
>>3559890
>Why would you intentionally use a more ambiguous term

1. everyone who owned it in the 90s knew it as the PSX. The PS2 was even called PSX2 early on.
2. the DVR thing is not retro, so if anyone talks about the PSX on /vr/, they can only mean the PS1.
>>
File: 1466909050466.jpg (4KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
1466909050466.jpg
4KB, 250x188px
>>3559897
>>
>>3559897
>everyone who owned it in the 90s knew it as the PSX

I owned it since 1996 and I knew it as "PlayStation", nowhere in the console itself or the box or manuals said "PSX". I do remember some magazines calling it "PSX", but to me it was always PS, as the logo.
Thread posts: 136
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.