[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Socks the Cat kickstarter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 7

File: Socks_Rocks_the_Hill.jpg (18KB, 383x266px) Image search: [Google]
Socks_Rocks_the_Hill.jpg
18KB, 383x266px
The kickstarter for the unreleased SNES game Socks the Cat Rocks the Hill just went live:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/481884736/socks-the-cat-the-video-game-based-on-the-clintons
>>
Why would it take another year until release if the game is finished?
>>
Meh. I'll just wait for the ROM dump and play it for a few minutes before I forget about it entirely.
>>
>>3553468
Even as a collector who would love to have played every SNES game, I couldn't care less about Socks the cat.
>>
>>3553468
the dude behind the kickstarter is a fucking hoarder and just wants money for the game

i hope he fails and never shows his stupid face around the internet ever again
>>
Only $30,000 for a shitty 90s cookie cutter licensed platformer that wasn't even good enough for release? What a deal!
>>
>>3553540

Since the guy apparently has the distro rights I'm not entirely opposed to this KS. That being said, I'm somewhat intrigued to find out what will happen if this fails to meet funding.

It is also a bit disheartening that it won't be the actual prototype but rather a modified version of it.
>>
>>3553571
>I'm not entirely opposed to this KS.
I am, it's not his fucking game, and it's not his fucking cat

He could have easily just dumped the rom after he got it from that DreamTR cunt but he plans on overstaying his welcome and getting back his investment. This is an incredibly stupid person and likely won't learn anything when the kickstarter bombs.
>>
>>3553505
>Why would $$$$$$$$$$$?
>>
AND THE STREETS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF THE HOARDERS AND JEW RESELLERS
>>
File: boogermankickstarter.jpg (91KB, 625x330px) Image search: [Google]
boogermankickstarter.jpg
91KB, 625x330px
>>3553468
DEJA VU
>>
I wonder if Socks was a rapist too
>>
What level has the part where Hillary eats babies?
>>
>>3553613
No, but he was a republican. That's why the Clintons ultimately abandoned him to their receptionist.
>>
>>3553571
>I'm somewhat intrigued to find out what will happen if this fails to meet funding.

he'll pocket the money
>>
>>3553714
None of the money gets transferred if the goal isn't met.
>>
>>3553571
He'd probably just try again with a lower goal.
>>
>>3553468
this is an odd way to go about this. if this guy really cared about owning the rights to this game he should make his own socks the cat game and either release a rom of the protoype to advertise and build up hype. or put the prototype in his new game
>>
>>3553721
True.
I'm surprised there are people still oblivious to this simple fact.
>>
Wait, the dude intends to manufacture new carts? Why the fuck would he do that?

And how much does that cost ? If the cost isn't too crazy ther'es shit I could put on a cart....
>>
all that for a generic platformer Woohoo
>>
>>3553810
>Why the fuck would he do that?
greenbacks, dinero, moolah, cheddar
>>
>$30,000

lol

This thing will not even break 10 grand. Instead of just covering his expenses, he made the fucktarded move of expecting a huge chunk of cash for his troubles.
>>
Why do people care so much about this game? It's not like it's Star Fox 2 or anything.
>>
>>3554009
Because it was known as that one game nobody can have except for that single shithead hoarding it.
>>
>>3553598
That game deserved to get funded
>>
>>3553592

Technically it is his game now that he owns the rights. This would happen back in the day, too, where one publisher goes under and another pics up the rights. It doesn't necessarily mean that either the original publisher or the one who released it was involved with developing the game. I do get what you mean, though, since he played no patt in getting the original data made.

He's also under no obligation to release anythkng. Many prototypes are bought and sold an never get released, others are related after fundraising. At least in this case he has the legal rights to sell the data and is giving it a formal production run.
>>
File: Buddy - Clinton kill list.jpg (68KB, 712x442px) Image search: [Google]
Buddy - Clinton kill list.jpg
68KB, 712x442px
>>3553694
Better to jump ship than to try and stay in the Clintons' inner circle
>>
>>3554398
>Technically it is his game now that he owns the rights.
>He's also under no obligation to release anythkng.
Are you him? Nobody wants to hear any of your bullshit
>>
>>3554505

No, I'm just stating facts.

If I'm wrong about anything, feel free to offer a rebuttal.
>>
>>3553646
Hey! That's offensive, I'll have you know she eats toddlers, there's an important difference!
>>
>>3553810
Because he thinks he'll make money that way.

I'd be really surprised if he sells even 100 carts.
>>
>>3553646
Comes right after the level she loses the national election.
>>
ISIS funds the Clintons. Don't be like ISIS, Anons.
>>
>>3553887

Why would you pay for a repro cart for an unfinished game that sucks?

The only reason people care about this game is its rarity. Take away that and you have a $5 game.
>>
dickhead should've just dumped it, no one actually cares about this junky piece of shovelware enough to spend actual money on it.
>>
File: 1476210022681.jpg (129KB, 577x752px) Image search: [Google]
1476210022681.jpg
129KB, 577x752px
>>3555062
We're only days away. I can taste it.
>>
>>3553810
manufacturing carts is actually pretty cheap these days, you can literally do it from your house with premade programmable boards for like 20 bucks each + 20 for the programmer.
>>
>>3554398
>>3554578
Different anon here, the point of kickstarter is not for people to recoup losses on expensive investments or dangle releases in front of people's faces until enough money is paid. Kickstarter is supposed to be used to cover, you know, starting costs.

as an aside the kickstarter page is pretty badly written, doesn't have nearly enough information, and doesn't even include the old concept art
>>
>>3553468

I wish irony would just die
>>
>>3555106
40 dollars to make a fake rare prototype cart that contains goatse, or tubgirl, or a rickroll, or something. Sounds kind of tempting.
>>
>$30,000

That's some serious shekels.
>>
>Q - How are you going to manufacture Socks?
>A - We know people

TOTALLY LEGIT
>>
>>3555124

I don't disagree with you, though in this case I guess the cost is for manufacturing and printing.

The KS page does have an air of "you already know what this is, now go ahead throw that money at us my fellow collectors" to it or something. The creator bio isn't that great either. You'd hope it'd include information about why you can trust the team (or team lead) to have a good release with appropriate bug fixes and quality packaging, but instead it seems more focused on how much of a collector the guy is (see: "At one time I owned the only copy of the NTSC Prototype of The Legend of Zelda for the NES. I would later sell that for a world record amount which was well publicized" - to me that borders on bragging rather than part of a project-relevant biography).

Here's to assuming that the manual will be awkwardly written and rife with typos...

Why were those other random games tossed in? Seems kinda weird.
>>
>>3555205
Do it, that would be the fucking best. You need to put a fake start screen in it of course.
>>
>>3553526
Why? Do you hate cats?
>>
he already has 7K

what the fuck dude, why are people so fucking stupid
>>
>>3556909
Cause VIDYA, especially classic VIDYA, attracts obsessive collectors and autists
>>
>>3556909
If there's one thing Kickstarter has shown, it's that people act the same with their donations as they do with money elsewhere--more willing to throw a few bucks at something for LOLs and name recognition (omg I love that webcomic!) than actually investigating whether the product will be good. Ironically Kickstarter has shown that publishers aren't as clueless as places like 4chan make them out to be.
>>
>>3553468
Ooh goodie, more hoarder cáncer!
>>
Is there really just one known copy of the unreleased game?
>>
So this game plays poorly and is only interesting due to politics, why would anyone want this? One of those games I wouldn't even spend $4 on ebay.

Now if someone put out a sequel to Super Mario World, a continuation of the original and not Yoshis world, I'd pay good money for that.
>>
>>3555954
No, I hate Socks.
>>
>>3554505
He's right, though. A ton of effort, money and connections go into to finding prototypes to begin with and if it weren't for the 'hoarders' this game would be gone completely.
>>
>>3558461
>if it weren't for the 'hoarders' this game would be gone completely.
Nobody cares
>>
>>3558367

I think there is one formally documented copy, but it is hard to say if there are more or not. At some point in time there were almost assuredly more than one copy, but who knows how many were destroyed.

Some prototypes out there have many documented copies currently in the collector market (see: Demon's Blazon), while others might have only one. The flavors of prototypes are going to be internal use, convention use, publication preview/review use, and store demonstration use. Logic would indicate that this would be the order from rarest to most common, but a hard-assed game developer might have been very strict about having their store samples returned making even the store review copies hard to find. Since Socks was apparently reviewed back in the day, one would assume that they put together a few review protos, but it also could've been a pass around chain sort of deal with it.
>>
>>3558516
Bullshit. If no one cared I wouldn't see a Socks the Cat thread here at least once a month and the kickstarter wouldn't have 73 backers after only a few days.
>>
>>3558531
(I guess I should add general promotional use to the list since I think some prototypes were sent out to convince stores and the like to carry their game or some such thing)
>>
When I was on the page the number refreshed from 74 backers to 75, and the amount backed went up by over $500. WTF.
>>
>>3558540
The kickstarter coming here once a month to pump his product gets 73 people and you act like that's a victory?
>>
>>3558562

One of the tiers is that amount iirc. A "dev copy"
>>
>>3558562
How do you know the kickstart isn't putting his own money back through to hype it? Probably worth the cut KS takes, calling it advertising costs. And for KS, If he doesn't meet funding, there's no fees
>>
>>3558564
This kickstarter is new, not a monthly thing.
My point was that clearly people care enough to keep talking about it.
>>
Imagine making a game and having this artwork represent it

It's like they couldn't decide between cartoon stylization and realistic Boris Vallejo 80's cheesiness, so they ended up with generic half-weeb bullshit
>>
>>3558461
Yeah but this is a bottom of the barrel shovelware title, it's not like it's some lost Super Mario 64 beta build.
>>
>>3558612
Yeah, like people cared about the Retro VGS/Coleco Chameleon.
>>
>>3558818
what the fuck
>>
>>3558612
So what if its new? That changes nothing, just means the plan was long term. Which obviously it was since it was acquired years ago. Nobody is falling for this self hyped pile of crud.
>>
>>3553770
Because some sites do allow them to keep all pledged money if the goal isn't met. Kickstarter isn't one of them.
>>
>>3559852
SM64 = Released
Socks = Not Released

Stop with the "Socks is bad" meme, there was creative effort in that game just as much as any other SNES title, and I want to see the extent of it. I know I won't be spending money on this, but just playing it once will be enough for me to honor what could have been.
>>
>>3560073
But it's still a fucking game about Socks Clinton, not all games are made equal, it's ok if some insignificant title like this doesn't see the light of day, the amount of people who are interested in playing this probably number below the hundred, does this really need a $30000 kickstarter?
>>
>>3560172
>it's ok if some insignificant title like this doesn't see the light of day

It really isn't. Everything should be allowed to see the light of day. I bet you also support abortion.

>does this really need a $30000 kickstarter

Not really, but >>3553734
>>
>>3560219
>Everything should be allowed to see the light of day.
By that logic, every failed piece of shit indie project on KS and IndieGoGo should also be preserved, and every Flappy Bird knockoff on smartphones.
>>
>>3560172
$300 would have been better. With some of his money, enough to make a few carts. If there had been profit in the first batch, he could use that to make more carts. This $30k sounds like we're to take care of him financially. Why didn't he just start up a website with the same pricing? Then he'd be able to keep all the money. This KS seems like a scam.
>>
>>3560231
>every failed piece of shit indie project on KS and IndieGoGo should also be preserved

Except this is pretty much a complete game. But yeah, it wouldn't hurt for devs with failed projects to release their work if they don't intend on working on it anymore.
>>
>>3560285
>Except this is pretty much a complete game
Lot's of near finished games never see the light of day.

>it wouldn't hurt for devs with failed projects to release their work if they don't intend on working on it anymore
What the fuck would their incentive be? I mean I'm not opposed to that train of thought, but you need to convince the people who put real manhours into this, expecting that they would be able to make some kind of money of it, to just give up and release the unfinished shit for free.

I think many would hold on to what they had and either hope to try again some day, or that the work/ideas that went into the unfinished game can be put to use for another game instead.
>>
>>3553646
Hillary isn't stupid enough to eat babies. She can make a lot of money parting them out with planned parenthood.
>>
>>3560536
Huh?
>>
>>3560219
>that comparison
Not quite the same thing, friendo
>>
>>3560219
I think I speak for the majority when I say this game could be aborted and the world of gaming would be exactly the same.
>>
Fucking hell they are over 11k

30k for a shitty cancelled platformer
>>
Can't people give ME money instead of dumb crap like this?
>>
File: 1475213830625.jpg (5KB, 179x240px) Image search: [Google]
1475213830625.jpg
5KB, 179x240px
>>3553468
>yfw you realize that bill clinton raped that cat
>>
>>3560232
>This KS seems like a scam.
It's absolutely a scam. That's why I and other people in the thread are acting like niggers

Whoever owns that cart should die or at least get kicked in the balls a few times, then I'd feel better!
>>
>>3563123
Always on the lookout for pussy.

Of course, Hillary also threatened and harrassed Socks after the event.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.