[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/wah/ - Wario General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 16

File: Warioland3.jpg (28KB, 250x249px) Image search: [Google]
Warioland3.jpg
28KB, 250x249px
I'm replaying WL3 and remembering how great the levels and bosses are. I think 2 and 3 are the best in the series because of the unique gimmick of Wario being immortal, so you get punished in other ways for fucking up, like getting sent out of boss areas or having to redo areas of a level due to the severe knockback when you get hit. Only level which has been bad so far is that bridge where you dodge fish, but I love the day/night changes, the fact that you revisit levels to find more treasure, and that levels work around your power-ups in order to find new treasures, expanding on WL2's open-ended ideas where some levels can branch if you find a hidden exit that alter the story completely, and giving you even more reasons to revisit past stages. The golf minigame is pretty fun too. Music doesn't seem as memorable as the other Wario games in 3, though.

Let's discuss the Warios. What is your favorite Warioge, and why?
>>
>>3552208
Wario Land II was my shit.
For years and years and years I could never find the alternate start on the first level

I searched the entire castle looking for a second door...never found it

Never thought to just stay in bed and never wake up...
>>
Anyone seen the new one yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enHGk8GR-MY
>>
I was going through my boxes today, and I found this game along with Pokemon Yellow, Pokemon Gold & Silver, Pokemon Pinball, Perfect Dark, and a Bomberman game.

No original boxes or manuals sadly...
>>
I think **-This game is not considered retro. Please refrain from posting not retro games on this board. The name of the game will be filtered away-** is the best one in the series.
>>
>>3552370
[You must have a 4chan Pass to view this non-retro content.]

But yeah, agreed on most of your points.
>>
I wish enemies could kill you. Wario is great. Wario for the WII is BEAUTIFUL but the fact that I am playing in GOD MODE kills the entire fun for me. Really it is NO FUN to be invincible by default. Whats the point of the game again? To beat the clock or something? God that shit stinks. That shit ruined Kirby Epic Yarn for me. I wish some hackers could take out that god mode so that I could actually start enjoying those games. Also why the hell doesnt Nintendo remake the amazing Wario for Virutal Boy? It was a great game hardly anyone got to play so I wish they would just color those sprites and rerelease it.
>>
>>3552383
What. The Wii game, like 4, has a life bar. Wario is 100% invincible only in 2 and 3.
>>
>>3552208
VB WARIO LAND IS KINO
All others bore me to death
>>
File: rudy.png (47KB, 639x671px) Image search: [Google]
rudy.png
47KB, 639x671px
>>3552383
Wario is too badass to die like that faggot Mario.
>>
>>3552392
*tips hipster-hat*
>>
File: vampire.png (12KB, 195x164px) Image search: [Google]
vampire.png
12KB, 195x164px
>the colossal hole
fuck this stage
>>
>>3552704
Perfect representation of what should be done with colossal holes.

You can do it, anon!
>>
>>3552704
I hated that level until I found out you dont even need pancake wario.
>>
Any games close to SML3:WL? If this matters, I have played WL1–4 but not SML1–2.
>>
>>3552827
Mario Land 2 has a similarly structured overworld in relation to Wario Land 3. But that's pretty much it.
>>
>>3552827
check out vb wario land
>>
>>3552392
This. VBWL was so amazing.
>>
>>3552208
I love the fuck out of WL2, it has a pretty wide scope for a 90's handheld, multiple branching paths and endings.

The level design is really interesting and cool, and the gameplay is kind of clever and atypical, it does a good job of setting itself apart from the basic Mario games and having it's own identity.
I also love the delightfully cartoony graphics and aesthetics.
>>
File: giphy (2).gif (203KB, 279x240px) Image search: [Google]
giphy (2).gif
203KB, 279x240px
>>3552229
WHAT
>>
Why is VBWL so overrated on /vr/?

Beat it on emulator and it wasn't that great. Better than SML3 though.
>>
>>3554072
Because it's for an OBSCURE console. You get imaginary patrician points for playing obscure games.

If there was Zelda for VB, it would be hailed as the series' hidden pinnacle on /vr/ by at least few people.
>>
>>3552383
enemies don't kill you be that's why they knock you a screen away
>>
>>3554014
What's weird about what he said?
>>
>>3552383
Play the original Wario Land, it had shrinkage and death as consequence of taking hits.
It's a great game, but I think the series went in a much more interesting direction by penalizing the player in other ways.
>>
>>3554072

Define "overrated".

VBWL is my favorite due to very polished level design and balance between action-platforming and exploration, with a stronger focus on action but still rewarding for exploration. Controls are also smooth as can be.
>>
>>3552392
They should port it to the 3DS so that you can play it without having to use the Virtual Boy

In fact they should do that with most of it's library.
>>
>>3552392
If you can't enjoy 1 and 2 you have terminal autism.
>>
>>3552229
I could never find the alternative exit to the Factory level. I refuse to use a walkthrough. I have all the other treasures and parts of the puzzle, I think.
>>
>>3554417
They wont because VB is nintendos secret shame
Same way sega never puts sega cd or 32x stuff on their compilations
>>
>>3554608
Isn't Sonic CD on smartphones now?
>>
File: rsz_game_design_companion-cover.jpg (100KB, 400x594px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_game_design_companion-cover.jpg
100KB, 400x594px
3>2>VB>4>1
>>
>>3554676
This should be the official book of /vr/
>>
>>3554676
>VB better than 4
WEW LAD
>>
>>3554072
It's a good game. If you can't be arsed to play it on a VB, just emulate it. Best if you can use a VR headset.

I think the problem is that most shit on it because it was on the VB.
>>
>>3554676
VB>3>1>4>2
>>
>>3554608
Sega CD wasn't really as bad as the 32X

I mean it wasn't the best idea, and the focus on FMV shit was hugely misplaced, but it had quite a lot of good games on it.

I mean, the 32X is very distinct in that manner, most of it's library was ports, how many worthwhile original titles did it have outside of Alien Carnage and that Kolibri game?
>>
>>3554746
VB's treasures were harder to find and it didn't suffer from that timer bullshit.

HURRY UP can fuck right off.
>>
File: DAT GOLD.jpg (161KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
DAT GOLD.jpg
161KB, 480x640px
>>3554759
>2
>worst
>>
>>3554783
Worse level design
Less powerups
Monochrome visuals
Worse music

Sure, VB is better than 1, but no way in hell is it better than 4.
>>
>>3554798
>Worse level design

Strongly disagree.
>>
>>3554798
>Worse level design
Nah, the haunted mansion in VB alone shits on anything from 4.
>Less powerups
Okay, but it has unique power-ups that are missing from later Wario games.
>Monochrome visuals
Still has great animation and details.
>Worse music
At least VB doesn't have J-pop music.
>>
>>3552208
Wario is my husbando.
>>
>>3554812
>>3554817
Levels in VB are extremely simple and boring. No creativity to be had.
>>
>>3554898

The levels were full of great action setpieces, enemies, and hidden paths that weren't easy to get to.
What example of simple or boring level design can you point out? And what do you mean by "no creativity to be had"?
>>
OK, not trolling/baiting. I've never played VB WL and I wanted to try it out. But I decided to watch the TAS/longplays first. The levels looked like really flat corridors with 3D gimmick obstacles. No vertical dimension in levels, few puzzles if any. Just looked very, very basic.

Is it really supposed to be so good? I'd try it but I'm having trouble running the game on OpenEmu.
>>
>>3554912
>spoiling a game before you even play it

I fucking hate the YouTube generation.
>>
>>3554912

>no vertical dimension in levels

But there is. Watch further than the first level. Or just forget it, maybe it's not for you, watch something else instead.
>>
>>3554920
> Wasting time on a game before you watch a demonstration

>>3554924
OK, it's good to know. I was expecting a lot after SML3 and WL3
>>
>>3554395
Funny thing, but I believe he doesn't know about the first level secret and got confused at the "Never thought to just stay in bed and never wake up..." part, like he really thought you'd give up life and never get off of your bed for not finding the secret. Lol.

But indeed, that secret was one of its own kind. I only really found it as a kid out of complete luck as one day I decided I'd try the game again from the beginning, but I left the Gameboy playing while I went to the toilet or something similar. Try imagining my surprise when I came back to it. It's definitely among the most creative secrets I've ever seen in a game.
>>
File: that shit look like a deeldo.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
that shit look like a deeldo.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>>3552383
I'd like you to really think about the difference between getting hit by an enemy, falling down a screen, and having to redo that segment from the beginning, and dying and having to do the whole level over again. Wario Land 2 and 3 didn't need a lives system to punish you for fucking up, in fact, designing platforming challenges so that one mistake would organically force you to go back and try it again led to inherently more difficult platforming in many cases.

And if you really have such a fetish for being killed in video games, the final boss of Wario Land 3 is the only thing in the game that can give you a game over.
>>
File: screen_WarioLand4.jpg (45KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
screen_WarioLand4.jpg
45KB, 480x320px
>>3552208
>2 and 3 are the best in the series because of the unique gimmick of Wario being immortal

This. I was really disappointed when they decided to change this in WL4. Not that I don't enjoy some classic platforming formula of course. WL1 had already done that before and it succeeded, and I actually enjoyed 4 in the end. Also I love that art style.
>>
>>3555097
4 simply didn't come close in terms of level design. It had amazing artwork, graphics and music, but it lost in terms of substance
>>
Why does East side have all the best levels?

>dat Forest of Fears
>>
>>3554676
Great book, btw.

3>1>4>2>Shake It!
Haven't played VB :(
>>
>>3555182
download mednafen and get on that shit
>>
Why does Wario go bald when he shrinks?
>>
File: Virtual_Tiny_Wario.png (28KB, 116x120px) Image search: [Google]
Virtual_Tiny_Wario.png
28KB, 116x120px
>>3555221

He doesn't go bald, he gets a trollish spiked hairstyle.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 160x144px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 160x144px
>>3555227
Looks bald to me here.
>>
File: Rudy_the_Clown.png (126KB, 447x335px) Image search: [Google]
Rudy_the_Clown.png
126KB, 447x335px
Holy fuck Rudy is terrifying
>>
File: WORRY.jpg (27KB, 220x215px) Image search: [Google]
WORRY.jpg
27KB, 220x215px
>WL2: 50 stages
>WL3: 25 stages
>WL4: 20 stages

What went wrong?
>>
>>3555182
Agree 100% with that order. Here's a word of advice: don't play Wario: Master of Disguse. It's the one of the worst games I've ever played in my whole life. It's like Wario made by LJN.
>>
>>3555438
Well, you've compared apples to oranges.

WL3 stages have 4 different treasures in each. They are just fucking huge, obviously with multiple routes and everything. Also, given you can't die but get pushed off platforms when you get hit, backtracking can make your run quite long.

WL4 went more of the "style" route. It had an amazing atmosphere, but it was a slight step back for the series. I guess like with WarioWare, they focused a bit too much on style, and in result they got less levels and slightly simpler level design.
>>
>>3554759
Yeah saying 2 is worst means your opinion is shit
>>
>>3555438
How many stages does wl1 have
>>
>>3556096
>WL3 stages have 4 different treasures in each.
This was somewhat a problem with 3. Sometimes you'd have to redo puzzles that you'd already solved before just to reach the next key/chest.
>>
>>3556390
Well, to me it wasn't exactly noticeable. After a little of backtracking you usually unlocked a new long area. Slightly annoying, but it's WL3 is backtracking: the game already so it's not that noticeable.
>>
>>3552208
I wish they'd make new wario land games
instead the only thing wario gets nowadays is warioware, and while fun i want this series to get remembered again

Warioland > Warioware
>>
>>3556447
>wanting anything from neo-Nintendo

Anon, you don't know what you doing.
>>
>>3556447
Nintendo had gradually buried Wario over the years.

Portable WL: First no games since 2001, then Master of Disguise which put a cross on all hopes for real Wario. It will be VERY hard to resurrect the series, unless they spend serious budgets on the comeback (which they won't).

Home consoles: Wario World wasn't very successful. As for Shake It, despite I heard it was more or less alright, the logic behind this game escapes me. I don't know why they drew all these sprites, I don't know why they put it on Wii and centered it around the wiimote-shaking gimmick. Given it wasn't very popular too and din't spawn any sequels, I guess that was the end for WL.

WarioWare: Made in Wario buried the series on home consoles. No new games for portables in 7 years says they let the franchise sink.
>>
You know, one thing has always baffled me.

Nintendo has a great, active franchise like Wario Land. It produces great games over and over. What do they do? Basically sink it. Produce inferior games in it and drive it to the ground.

Nintendo has a franchise forgotten by everyone, Kid Icarus. Nintendo says, we need to resurrect it. Make Uprising, put Pit in Brawl.

I don't get their logic.
>>
>>3556127

Forty.
>>
>>3556665

Yet most people complain when Nintendo rehashes the same series over and over.

I enjoyed Uprising a lot and liked the revival of Kid Icarus.
It's a shame Wario Land is forgotten but if they resurrected Kid Icarus after 20 years, they could do the same with Wario Land in the future. If they kept making Wario Land 5, 6, 7, etc people would be oversaturated with them, no matter if they're actually good or not. Look at New SMB. The first one was well received, the Wii one was also well received, but then they released NSMB2 and NSMB U too quickly and people got fed up with the series, even though U is arguably the best one.
>>
>>3556685
>The first one was well received, the Wii one was also well received, but then they released NSMB2 and NSMB U too quickly

Another factor is how little NSMB changed from entry to entry. Wario Land 2 is not just visually distinct from 1, but mechanically as well. In the same way, Wario Land 4 is visually as well as mechanically distinguishable from Wario Land 3.
>>
>>3556390
>Sometimes you'd have to redo puzzles that you'd already solved before just to reach the next key/chest.

When exactly does that happen?
>>
>>3556749
Tower of Revival, have to light your ass on fire so you can light the torches and move the block out of the way.
>>
>>3556685
I made absolutely no judgement on the quality of Uprising. My reply was about Nintendo's managing of their assets.

It's immediately apparent Nintendo allocated their marketing, developing budgets and their more talented people to Uprising. You could see they bet money on that game. Made a whole plot for it, created a new design for Pit, paid for the hype campaign, etc.

Now, where was Kid Icarus before that? The same place as Urban Champion, perhaps. Forgotten NES title from Nintendo, with non-existent fanbase.
They basically decided to build it from the ground up.

But Wario: Master of Disguise, or Yoshi's Island 2 and Yoshi's Island 3DS they decided to outsourced to some no-name fucks. Like, what did they expect? They turned out the games which ranged from mediocre to plain shit.

There wasn't any need to reinvent anything. Just use the formula, make WL4.5: new levels. At least let your own studios develop it. Nope.

> Yet most people complain when Nintendo rehashes the same series over and over.
It'd be good if they actually put effort into their Super WaruDaisy U shit. The problem is, they didn't. To me it seems that now they simply expect to milk the IPs, play on their names.
>>
>>3554676
gibe epub please
>>
>>3554920
Teasers and trailers showed off gameplay in the 90s too, you fucking pretend old person.
>>
>>3555362
WAH
>>
>>3556787

You are acting as if the developers behind the Wario Land series just dropped off the face of the earth.

R&D1 made Wario Land 1-4, and after Iwata took over that team disbanded and merged into EAD and SPD. EAD has been especially busy during the 8th gen because they were the only ones making games for the Wii U at some points, so they had to focus on their mainstream stuff like Mario and Zelda. If they could just get more quality 3rd party support for the NX then they could afford to make niche games from smaller teams within EAD such as a new Wario Land.
>>
I can't get these themes out of my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkkVHBKGyTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgJU4q6b890
>>
>>3555107
>4 simply didn't come close in terms of level design.
You're right. It transcended the mortal boundaries of mere good level design.
>>
>>3555182
4 > Shake It! = 3 > 2 > VB > 1
>>
File: WAR.png (57KB, 131x179px) Image search: [Google]
WAR.png
57KB, 131x179px
>>3558427
>shake it that high
GET OUT
>>
>>3558430
Can you name anything wrong with Shake It or are you just mad about motion controls
>>
>>3554072
>"Beat it on emulator"

That's the problem.
>>
>>3558435
>tedious, unfocused level designs
>have to farm coins to unlock levels
>too much of a rehash of WL4 without presenting many new ideas; each Wario before it was innovative in its own way
>overrated by people who only care about the graphics/animation
>poor controls, especially Subwarine

It is by no means better than any R&D1 Wario game, which were mostly flawless. Shake It was the style over substance installment in the series and anyone that actually ranks it above 1-4/VB is a fool. Epic Yarn was better at being a Wario game than Shake It was, even.
>>
>>3556757
Well, I guess the proper word to use there would be "one time".
>>
I like how WL3's soundtrack paid a few homages to the Virtual Boy game:

Example 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g3Y3IvRpuY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAKWkU-pzkE

Example 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfK0os19gck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmR-9Ih801E
>>
Is it pronounced Wahrio or Where-io?
>>
>>3559496

Wah-Raye-Ou
>>
>>3559496
Variå
>>
>>3559496
War-Ei-Joe
>>
>>3559496
WAH-ree-oh
>>
>>3559496
Pronounced the same way as Mario, but with a "wa" sound instead of a "ma" sound at the start.
>>
>>3559845

So wario is canon in the Metroid universe? Makes sense actually.

>tfw you will never be Samus' suit
>>
File: plasdress.jpg (155KB, 500x538px) Image search: [Google]
plasdress.jpg
155KB, 500x538px
Where there is a will, there is a way
>>
File: warioworld.jpg (115KB, 427x599px) Image search: [Google]
warioworld.jpg
115KB, 427x599px
Your opinion on Wario's World?
>>
>>3560486
Great gem made by Treasure, but too short.
>>
File: wario-wah.gif (945KB, 280x211px) Image search: [Google]
wario-wah.gif
945KB, 280x211px
>>3560486
Best outsourced Wario game.
>>
>>3560486
Very fun, and it almost feels like Wario Land in 3D. It would've been nice to see more enemy types, a better final boss, and a bit more content, but it's still very enjoyable.
>>
>>3560486
A little repetitive, but still solid. Loved the platforming challenges. The games atmosphere was great. I'm kind of sad that this is the only 3D Wario game. I guess the only platforming series from nintendo that's allowed to go to 3D anymore is Mario.

All it really needed were some power ups or something.
>>
>>3560486
Not good. It's ok but it misses the mark on many levels. Short, bland level design, forgettable soundtrack, pretty bad enemy design. The best parts of the game are Wario's wrestling moves, boss fights (some of them) and, well, the WarioWare demo.
Overrall, it's yet another rushed out of the window game like there are many on the GC.

All 2D Wario games are superior to it, even MoD.
>>
>>3560486
I think it's not retro.
>>
>>3560561
>All 2D Wario games are superior to it, even MoD.
objectively wrong
>>
>>3560586
The only objectively wrong thing here is WarioWorld. MoD, for all its big flaws, it's still overall better designed than WarioWorld.
>>
>>3560561
>All 2D Wario games are superior to it, even MoD
Are you tryin to tickle me partner
>>
>>3559496
Wah-sum
>>
>>3561387
Wah-sabi
>>
How do I get to the sky stage in WL3? There aren't any arrows leading to it.
>>
>>3561594
Wah-ter Melon
>>
>>3559496
Like Mario, except the M is upside-down
>>
>>3564116
So Wary-oh?
Thread posts: 114
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.