[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come they never made a Metroid game for the Nintendo 64?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: 45.png (280KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
45.png
280KB, 512x448px
How come they never made a Metroid game for the Nintendo 64?
>>
Because nintendo 64 is a piece of shit
>>
My guess would be that 2D was on the way out. And they didn't think to turn it into an FPS until later.
>>
Iirc, they were having trouble figuring out how to do it. It was in development during one point but was scrapped. Metroid has never been an A list Nintendo franchise so it wasn't prioritized. Tbqh, most of Samus' fame seems to come from the 2000s. SSB, Metroid Prime, and the internet drooling over Super Metroid helped the series a lot.
>>
>>3547269
Sakamoto said that the N64 controller was so shit for a Metroid game so.....
he was right i guess
>>
There has to be resources within a company to make a game. The Metroid team wasn't experienced with 3D and couldn't make it work. So they outsourced it.
>>
>>3547280
lol it really is
>>
>>3547297

>tfw they're using the same excuse for F-Zero right now
>>
Japs just can't make FPS.
>>
>>3547297

What issue of "Anon's Colon" was that Sakamoto Interview from again? I forgot.
>>
File: Megaman64_box.jpg (49KB, 500x345px) Image search: [Google]
Megaman64_box.jpg
49KB, 500x345px
Sakamoto told Capcom to make it, but they ended up changing Samus for some boy on a blue armor instead of Samus and her classic varia suit.
>>
>>3547413
>I've never played a Metroid Game in my entire life
>>
>>3547413
A Metroid game in the style of Megaman Legends would have been fucking amazing.
>>
>>3547280
Can confirm, read it in an issue of Nintendo Power
>>
>>3547452

Source?
>>
>>3547406
>>
>>3547413
Eh. Megaman Legends is more Zelda-ish than Metroid-y.
>>
>>3547508
>>3547434

It sort of reminded me of Metroid because of the interconnected dungeon and the armor upgrades. But yeah I guess only the dungeon part was similar to Metroid. The city parts were more Zelda-like.
>>
There was one in the works, but they scrapped it and gave the project to Retro Studios for the GC.
>>
>>3547738
Oh aye? I was about to say I wager they had a go at one but weren't happy with the results they were getting.
>>
>>3547738
>source: my ass
>>
>>3547292
>Metroid has never been an A list Nintendo franchise
Miyamoto doesn't care about it, so it's left to rot in Nintendo's basement.
>>
>>3547508
>Megaman Legends is more Zelda-ish
The Legends games feel more Zeldaish than many recent Zelda games.
>>
Making a big 3d world wasn't possible and nintendo hated 2d more than anyone.
>>
>>3550025
>and nintendo hated 2d more than anyone.
what?
>>
>>3550025
Super Mario 64.
>>
>>3550193
>big

Anyway, >>3550025 is dumb, it could be done just fine, the way games like Soul Reaver pulled it off, with even better results.
>>
File: Metroid64Final.jpg (22KB, 400x283px) Image search: [Google]
Metroid64Final.jpg
22KB, 400x283px
But they did! It was never released though. My uncle works at Nintendo and he showed me this screenshot. Don't tell anyone I showed you. :)
>>
ITT people mad that N64 was a good console. Why? No one knows.

N64 was too weak in the areas required to do 2d and lacked the hardware to fake it as well. As big as a negative as that was, it was why the 3d was so good on the console, so it was an acceptable loss. Most people ignored the lack of 2d titles as 3d was the big new thing.
>>
>>3550220
If it was such a good console why didn't it have any good games?
>>
>>3547374
They made F Zero on the N64 though. I'm confuse
>>
>>3547406
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2011/08/feature_what_happened_to_metroid_64

"When I held the N64 controller in my hands I just couldn’t imagine how it could be used to move Samus around"
>>
>>3550220

But the N64 could do 2D. In some regards even better than the PS1 did. The reality is that the N64's small catalogue is simply due to third party jumping ship to PlayStation. Why? it was cheaper and more profitable, that's all.
Sure N64 lacked CD, but all CD added at the time was FMV and shitty loading times. I had both consoles back then and I loved the N64 for still using carts. I quickly realized how unimportant FMVs were in games, and the N64 sound never disappointed me, even though it couldn't use redbook, some games even included full vocal tracks and voice acting.

So, that's all, it's a matter of PS1 taking over the market and being cheaper and easier to develop and publish for. The N64 was capable of everything the PS1 did and more, sans FMVs and redbook audio.

The situation is comparable to the NES vs the Master System/Mark III.

N64 haters who still perpetuate the "no gaem" meme should neck themselves at this point though.
>>
File: Ridley_Smash64.jpg (239KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Ridley_Smash64.jpg
239KB, 1280x1024px
>>3550215
>>>
> Anonymous 10/09/16(Sun)13:06:13 No.3550319▶
>>>3550220

My dad works for Nintendo and he showed me this beta screenshot of Metroid 64 with Ridley on it. There's also a giant green circular monster.
>>
>>3550326
Not much of an excuse considering they managed to make Samus move using the Wiimote.
>>
>>3550326

It doesn't mean that he thought the N64 controller was shit, but that he couldn't imagine how to make a Metroid in 3D that worked out.
They could have easily made a 2D Metroid since the N64 has a SNES d-pad and more buttons than you need but at the time, doing a 2D game was seen as something lesser than 3D, that's just what the norm was.
a 2D Metroid on the N64 would have been a dream come true though.
>>
Hey at least they put samus in super smash.
That means shes one of nintendos favorite characters
>>
>>3547280
This is laughably true
>>
>>3551428

"video games are shit"

-Anonymous
>>
>>3547498
Nintendo Power
>>
>>3550403
same thing with Ness, amirite?
:^)
>>
>>3550319
It had plenty. We're not /v/, buddy, you don't need the "lel no games" meme here. If you're talking about 3rd party support, most of those devs moved to CDs over cartridges and Sony's massive ad campaigns plus under the table dev deals were very persuasive.
>>
>>3551443
hey EB / mother is a cult classic
it got a trilogy and you can bet your ass they made a killing selling it on virtual console even tho u could emulate it for free.
I even saw a guy out in the wild with a mother 3 t shirt
>>
File: KOGemergency.jpg (40KB, 450x275px) Image search: [Google]
KOGemergency.jpg
40KB, 450x275px
>>3551461
>I even saw a guy out in the wild with a mother 3 t shirt

That might have been me.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.