[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /vr/ actually know any hipsters who have joined the retro

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

File: Hipster_2.jpg (76KB, 630x638px) Image search: [Google]
Hipster_2.jpg
76KB, 630x638px
Does /vr/ actually know any hipsters who have joined the retro gaming bandwagon, or are they merely just the boogeyman I suspect them to be?
>>
I do, but most of them don't collect heavily like the collectors here believe. They are a boogeyman for collectors.
Most hipsters I know spend more money on clothes and shoes than anything else. One guy I know who I guess fits into the generic hipster description is into collecting vinyl records, not vidya, although he does like video games and the whole "lol retro 80s pixels!" thing.
The guy I know who actually jumped into the retro bandwagon recently (like, he used to think anything non-modern was shit until recently) actually does seem like the actual boogeyman collectors hate. He spends hundreds of dollars every month on rare Saturn games and thousands on consoles. He isn't a hipster, just a wealthy weeb.
>>
>>3546794
retro games have always been trendy. it's not your secret club
>>
>>3546794
I haven't met any honestly but I tend to only hang out with people my own age who (thank god) missed the whole hipster movement. So Idk. Maybe it is just a meme. Although one of the more popular hipster bars in my city has a bunch of arcade games in it so who knows.
>>
File: 1472159230879.png (444KB, 504x740px) Image search: [Google]
1472159230879.png
444KB, 504x740px
Hipsters—no. Nu-males—plenty.

I think people mean nu-males when they say "hipsters". The latter only ever care about their pseudo-bohemain image.
>>
>>3546825
And what's the difference between the two groups, exactly?
>>
>>3546825

How are hipsters not nu-males?

Isn't the one on your pic an edgy kid?

Memes really confuse me, I guess I'm too old for this shit at this point. They're all faggots anyway so why split into other sub-fag terms.
>>
>>3546825

Please tell me that's a troll account. That isn't really a real guy is it?
>>
>>3546836

He's right though.
>>
>>3546836
Look him up. He is all too real.
>>
I know a 18 or 19 year old (or around that age) who I've heard speak positively in public about Super Metroid graphics or something. No clue if he's a collector or not, I'd have to ask.

I don't think it is a boogeyman, exactly, but the real problem are fans of James and Mike and GameGrumps, so whichever stereotype they'd fill would be it.
>>
File: twitter.com_2016-10-07_17-06-39.png (547KB, 573x566px) Image search: [Google]
twitter.com_2016-10-07_17-06-39.png
547KB, 573x566px
>>3546848
I wish I didn't.
>>
>>3546850

Game Grumps are popular as fuck, too big to just fit into one stereotype.

AVGN is, at this point, a sort of "classic". He started 10 years ago, so for people who are around 20 now, it means they were watching AVGN when they were 10 year olds.
But from what I understand, AVGN isn't as popular as other celebrities right now, like Game Grumps, or Pie Diw whatever.

If you want to blame the "group" that likes these guys, I guess you can just label them the new humans. Youtube and internet content is the new TV for the younger generation. And video games happen to be the biggest content-generator. A good chunk of that is dedicated to retro.
>>
>>3546831
They are very similar. Hipsters are like nu-males with hyperinflated egos, who try to put on as much airs as possible, wearing gaudy "vintage" clothing and so on. They're different because of their extroverted pretentiousness, and narcissisitic affinity for arts/fashion/music/insert thing that makes them look like they have exquisite taste.

Nu-males are usually have total doormat/white knight personalities. Usually programmers/indie artists who spend their income on "classic masterpiece" games and so on. Incredibly bland and weak-willed guys, look like they haven't lifted anything heavier than their black rim glasses in their lives.

Fedoras are NEETs living in their mothers' basements, with childish egos, 2deep4u attitude and poor hygiene. Often try to be as edgy as possible, which differs them from nu-males and hipsters.
>>
>>3546862
youtube was a mistake
>>
>>3546865

So nu-male is the new buzzword for what used to be "nerd".
Then again, "geeks" exist now, so it's even more complicated.
>>
>>3546901
>nu-males
>nothing new about it
>>
>>3546901
geeks were posing off as nerds and nerd culture
so hipsters are posing off nu-males now?
>>
>>3546901
People are constantly coming up with fun new buzzwords for people they don't like. The terms seldom make much sense.
Hipsters and nu-males will fade away just like emos and posers soon enough, soon to be replaced with ding-dongs and whozits.
>>
>>3546914
but people have been using the term 'hipster' since the early '90s.
>>
>>3546916
Sure, to mean something completely different. And obviously it has exploded in popularity and use over the last couple years, so it's getting close to the end of its life time.
>>
>>3546914
>whozits

That actually sounds pritty Kool. Let's keep that one.
>>
>>3546924
Fuck off ding-dong
>>
>>3546926
>ding-dong
That's OUR word. You can't use it bitch nigga.
>>
File: 1430925820527.jpg (48KB, 365x444px) Image search: [Google]
1430925820527.jpg
48KB, 365x444px
desu I'm 25 and got into collecting for a little while like 3-4 years ago but stopped because the money I was spending was ridiculous (and that was only ~$100 a month). People have called me a hipster before but for unrelated reasons? I don't feel like I like a lot of gay shit which I think is like a big precondition for hipster status. I don't like craft beer and I wasn't involved in the Bernie campaign. I do like retro vidya but not any more than vidya in general.
>>
>>3546943
If you're between the ages of 15 - 25 in >current year<, you're probably going to be called a hipster no matter what. Failing that, you're a neckbeard. Don't think about it too much, it's mostly just going to be bitter older people throwing the term around, or other hipsters desperate to offset their own hipsterdom. The word has very little meaning.
>>
>>3546943
What made you want to get into collecting to begin with?
>>
>>3546943
>I do like retro vidya

Then your not the problem. Sure you might get lumped in due to your age but no one is talking about you when they bitch about hipster shits. The people /vr hate are kids who buy what they think is cool because it's old and Nintendo for hipster street cred.
>>
>>3546991
>Old
>Nintendo
Yup, prepare to slap on a pretty extra $50 just for those two keywords. The hipsters will lap it up so who gives a shit.
>>
If u play old games at all youre a hipster
Normalfags have modern shit
>>
>>3546865

This post reminded me of yourscenesucks.com
>>
File: 1442778012537.png (646KB, 717x1029px) Image search: [Google]
1442778012537.png
646KB, 717x1029px
>>3546972
tl;dr incoming.

When I was younger we were pretty well off and I had a nice collection of games for my Genesis, PC, PS1, N64, and [NON-RETRO]. When I was still young but a little older my mom turned into a psycho drug addict after my dad died and sold all of my shit for $2.50-10 a game to pawnbrokers. I had a lot of RPGs and weird shit (well wouldn't be to people on this board) that would go for a lot more now. I was super depressed about it and found myself looking at this empty bookshelf everyday up until I was able to move out awhile later and I don't know man it was fucked up.

As soon as I got out on my own and a good enough job to where I had some surplus income I thought I would recapture some of my happiness, but in addition to being expensive the original hardware didn't really make me feel any type of way.

So the short answer is "muh nostalgia," but there were other less faggy reasons too, like I have a hard time not being ADD with emulators (the urge to shitpost or go jerk off is too real) and I like having physical copies of stuff in general.
>>
>>3546865
Maybe I'm thinking too hard on it, but I've always associated hipsters more with music, and met a lot of cool dudes who would fit that stereotype, and what you described as yuppies, which have always sucked. But idunno I can't keep up with those dang kids and whatever buzzwords get thrown around.
>>
>>3547024
So you were a genuine gamer from childhood and just wanted to regain that which was lost. That is about the most non-hipster reason possible.
>>
>>3546794
I'm a youngfag (somewhere between 18 and 21) who didn't have any money for games as a kid and always wanted to play the kind of games my older cousins had, on systems like the NES, Genesis, PS1, Dreamcast, etc. I also don't like most video games and retro games are the only ones I can really have a fun time with because they're entirely focused on gameplay and using your imagination to fill in the gaps left by the older graphics.
>>
I am 28 and was actively collecting games back in like the early 2000s (mostly import stuff, like Famicom, FDS, SFC; even got an MSX2 back in those days). Prior to that I just hung on to the games I got as a kid. Pretty sure I still have all of the boxes and manuals for the games that I got new. Sure, I lapsed for a few years to focus on doujinshi collecting, and then switched to arcade collecting, and then into prototype collecting, but I've always been a fan of games. Back in the early 2000s I'd hang out on Digital Press (aka Retrogaming Roundtable).
>>
>>3546914
Emos and goths made sense and had a definable image. A poser was a sort of amorphous thing but it was basically trying to be a skater without actually being a skater.

Hipster probably had a meaning but at some point lost it. I don't even know this newfangled nu-male bullshit.

>>3547979
Back in the 2000s I was poor (and even younger than you) so my collecting efforts were mostly finding extreme deals on stuff at goodwill (before it went to shit collecting-wise) and garage sales. My proudest moment being my Virtual boy and 8 game for $12 dollars.

Hipsters in general are kind of a boogeyman but there's no doubt that at some point people started jumping on the retro game bandwagon, but if anything it's a bunch of weird normal (huh?) people. Like some late 20 something married couple at a local store buying up NES games to play with their children. Or fuckheads who think they can make money buying and selling them and screwing up the market and availability for the rest of us.
>>
>>3546825
They're the same thing, or they overlap to the point that differentiating them has little meaning.
>>
>>3546850
Back in 1999/2000 when I'd emulate SNES games I felt 16 bit 2D graphics largely looked better than a lot of the crude 3D I was used to on console and PC, but these days I don't think it's as cleanly cut.

I don't think it really makes sense to compare games like that to modern ones though, as nobody really makes graphics like that now (aside from indy devs, but they strive more for the pretend 8 bit look)

>>3546862
I think James is just too set in his ways to care about modernizing or desperately trying to catch a much larger young audience he probably knows he can't get without changing everything (playing a bunch of new games he doesn't understand or care about).

I've seen him play Doom, not pretty, I imagine he wouldn't fare much better with later shooters (nor quite get games with more advanced concepts, I mean, this is a guy who no doubt would be stumped by the way Half-Life plays).
>>
I have a friend who aspires to be a hipster. I gave him a Dreamcast and showed him where to download isos then later I gave him my mediocre Famiclone and a copy of Spartan X and told him where to go to buy Famicom games locally. He claims to love both of them but I haven't seen either of them in like a year.
>>
>>3546794
Most people mean "nu-male" when they say hipster on here.

Hipsters are much more into art and music than video games. If they are into games, they probably don't collect games because they can't afford it, and make indie games instead. There are many rich hipsters, but the real ass ones who are setting trends within the culture are often broke fucks sleeping on the floor of their diy house after their black metal band has finished rehearsing.

I think the nu-male thing is just a product of our society embracing nerdier shit as mainstream.

/vr/ folks complaining about hipsters or nu-males is just an outward projection of inner insecurity. Othering is a great way to make yourself feel better if you feel that you some part of your identity is being threatened. "I'm the real deal unlike those phonies!"
Unfortunately, there's someone realer than you and you are a fraud to them.
>>
>>3546816
>retro games have always been trendy
lolno, it's a late 00s thing fueled e-celebs and the virtual console

only people that actually lived through these gens cared about them before
>>
>>3549437
>I have a friend who aspires to be a hipster
Now what's going through his head? How does someone look at one of the most universally reviled group of people today and think, "I want to be a part of THAT"?
>>
Have never met a person interested in retro games and don't care to know them. Video games are a hobby like anything else.
>>
>>3549526

That's pretty surprising.
>>
>>3549503
Sorry bro. Teenage girls have been wearing Mario shirts since the late 90s. Retro gaming is a billion dollar industry
>>
>>3549525
It beats being a loser from /vr/
>>
>>3546858
The Amish Renegade
>>
>>3549583
To whom can I send money to get that movie made?
>>
>>3549541
That's bullshit. Mario and Nintendo clothes/merch like that was hard to find until maybe 2003-2005. I still remember going to high school in the early 2000s and seeing normies wear Atari logo shirts because that was the only retro gaming clothes I'd see in clothing stores.
>>
>>3547024
just play emulator??
>>
>>3549460
>/vr/ folks complaining about hipsters or nu-males is just an outward projection of inner insecurity. Othering is a great way to make yourself feel better if you feel that you some part of your identity is being threatened. "I'm the real deal unlike those phonies!"
Unfortunately, there's someone realer than you and you are a fraud to them.

I'd say my distaste of the "other" is more due to them having an immediate negative impact on what I do, namely the sudden jacking up of prices that was directly linked with their entrance. Be they hipsters, nu-males, kiddos, fad-hoppers, investors, retards, GameGrumpers, or just nostalgic millenials trying to rebuy a childhood interest that they gleefully sold off (or threw away or gave away) over a decade ago, I'd prefer them to not be interested in my hobby.
>>
>>3549667
>Mario and Nintendo clothes/merch like that was hard to find until maybe 2003-2005
Where the fuck did you live where Mario shirts/hats/backpacks/whatever wasn't advertised everywhere in the early 90's?
>>
>>3546794
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QWCDW1GULU
Disgusting faggotry
>>
>>3549817
>my hobby
oh shit
its YOUR HOBBY
right?
only yours right?
yep.
>>
File: 60995803.jpg (89KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
60995803.jpg
89KB, 400x400px
>>3549667
There has never been a time where retro games and consoles were not valued in a similar light to new hardware. People would sell the very last gen to get the brand new shit but most of the people in my home town were poor and still play SNES. You would be surprised how many casual players just keep the old consoles to play them once in a while. Good games get played.
>>
>>3551324

That was just shorthand for "one particular hobby in which I have an interest." Other people can share that hobby, but if I find their interest in it to make life more difficult for me, why should I have to be happy about it? I'm not out beating people up at a used game store or defrauding people with bullshit game auctions or something. I am just stating that I wish the people who recently became interested in buying old games at absurd prices hadn't gained that interest because their presence in the market made prices go up.
>>
>>3546794
Boogeyman. Hipsters are interested in social signaling, maintaining appearance, ego confirmation and sexual relationships.

Craft beer, bicycling, niche music and quirky taste may cross over with vintage video gaming, but they would never care about it as much as any vr user.
>>
>>3551402
this. hipsters don't actually care about what they 'say' they are interested in, only for looking like they do.
still drives the prices up indirectly on whatever is the latest trend regardless.
>>
>>3549642
Discovery Channel. It'd be Amish Mafia: The Movie.
>>
>>3546916

"Hipsters" have been around since at least the '60s.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.