[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did The Last Revelation have such a polarizing reception

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

File: tomb_raider_4_box.jpg (146KB, 640x636px) Image search: [Google]
tomb_raider_4_box.jpg
146KB, 640x636px
Why did The Last Revelation have such a polarizing reception critically? Tons of critical reviews panned or wrote it off, yet among Tomb Raider fans it's considered one of the highlights of the series.
>>
>>3546060
Dont remember a single bad review.
As for me the best in the series, I still remember the pyramids, scorpions (large ones) underwater level, planets you had to pull with skeletons running around.

I just realised I need to replay all games because I barelly remember them and with TR always being a bit otherwordly when it comes to the mood of the game, there is no alternative to those games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdIE4dJcZ4I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdIE4dJcZ4I
>>
>>3546060
>The Last Revelation have such a polarizing reception critically?
I don't remember any negative reviews on the game at the time. It was being marketed and reviewed as being the very last game in the series, though. I wish it had been.

Then Chronicles came out and that was the point I lost interest in Tomb Raider at all. I'm sure that game was the one more hated.
>>
>>3546060
Fans that want more of the formula vs. average players that were tired of the formula. Not that hard to explain. Even for TR3 I remember reviews complaining that the engine hadn't updated significantly enough and it was mostly a game for diehards.
>>
>>3546164
I think "for diehards" was more about level of difficulty.
That game was more BS than demon souls at a times.
>>
>>3546172
the game was hard mostly because of the sadistic save system and sudden deaths (falling boulder outta nowhere, think fast)
spent months in the temple ruins
>>
>>3546179
Exactly what I am talking about,
>tfw you run long narrow patch and hear ka-ching
>>
>>3546172
That would be true for TR3, in terms of difficulty Last Revelation was a fart joke compared to 3.
Last Revelation is just a bit confusing at times, because you don't expect to go back such long ways sometimes, even with 2-3 loadings screens on the way
>>
If you look back Sonic 3/Sonic & Knuckles got some middling reviews at the time for being 'more of the same', TR4 had the same thing going on. When 'the same' is this good, more of the same is far from a bad thing. History has a way of giving games like that recognition, especially when 10+ years of mediocre shit follow it. I prefer 3 personally but Last Revelation was certainly the commercial and creative peak of the series.
>>
>>3546164
>the engine hadn't updated significantly

Were they retarded or what? TR3 added more than TR2 did

>more new moves
>poison and tempature meters
>diagonal blocks
>colored lighting
>particle effects
>weather effects
>larger levels
>>
>>3547798
>>diagonal blocks
What?
>>
Have the previous Tomb Raiders ever been remade in the later TR engines?
>>
>>3548097
The first game was remade a few years ago in the form of Tomb Raider Anniversary.
>>
>>3548285
Yeah but that was a different engine and a pretty bad game. Seriously; QTE bosses.
>>
>>3548298
Of course it was a different engine. It's a remake. As for the QTEs... well, that's just developers being retarded.
>>
>>3548391
You know fine well he meant "Tomb Raider 1 in Tomb Raider 4's engine", dumbfuck.
>>
>>3548408
>dumbfuck
Fine, stop shouting. Geez.
>>
>>3547798
They didn't say "TR3 added less than TR2," so I don't know why you're arguing that point.

>>3548081
He means that edges can have angles that aren't 90 degrees.
>>
There was series fatigue at that point. See Assassin's Creed for modern equivalent.
>>
i actually really liked chronicles
>>
>>3548607
>He means that edges can have angles that aren't 90 degrees.
Actually, they can only have 45 or 90. Anything between was impossible even in Chronicles.
>>
>>3548408
>>3548097
There's a fan remake of TR1 made in Tomb Raider Level Editor which uses TR4 engine.
>>
>>3549447
'this a sad day, Winston
>>
>>3546060
it's my favorite in the entire series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNmLmn9bXb4
>>
>>3549486
It was okay. The guy who made it got really lazy after the Peru levels.
>>
Same reason Pokemon and Dynasty Warriors get middling reviews.
>>
>>3546060
Reviewers are not fans. They don't care about STORY and ATMOSPHERE. They see the same core gameplay game after game, and give it low score.
>>
>>3549447
The ending was pure POTTERY

Von Croy finds Lara's tomb
Tomb Raider becomes tomb raided
>>
I still want to know what happens after Angel of Darkness.

What is preventing the writers from releasing the script for the sequel??
>>
>>3550656
That's the part when the game really ramps up and becomes awesome.
>>
>>3546060
Same reason Castlevania Legacy of Darkness got worse reviews than Castlevania 64 even though it was almost literally the same game with extra content.

At that time reviewers didn't just review the game in isolation but viewed it as a cash grab.
>>
>>3551162
They hate it because its a hard game which makes scrubs blame controls and stuff. Basically you don't actually have to be any good at games to write wank about them for a living.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.