[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>What's the point of scores? I don't care about my score.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 15

File: pat-bateman-2.gif (999KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
pat-bateman-2.gif
999KB, 500x200px
>What's the point of scores? I don't care about my score.
>>
It is pretty pointless in a lot of games
>>
>>3544709
What about time
>>
>>3544709
Wouldn't trying to beat it make replaying even more fun?
>>
File: cool story bro.png (140KB, 322x316px) Image search: [Google]
cool story bro.png
140KB, 322x316px
>>3544720
It's a good motivator for challenge,
also speedrunning can be impressive to watch.

Altough some time limits can be pretty cheap at times.
>>
>>3544720
I remember as a kid constantly wondering how they justified timers in Mario games

Always was disturbed by the notion that Bowser was playing a Saw game with Mario. "Reach the flag in 300 seconds or she dies, simple as that"
>>
>>3544709
When the score accounts for nothing other than a number, i.e. it has no further gameplay purpose, then there is no point. Scoring was simply a tertiary incentive designed to cause competition between players in arcades, increasing the amount of quarters they would spend trying to out-nerd each other.

>>3544723
It can, but getting to a different stage or story point is a far better incentive than some disembodied number.
>>
>>3544720
I think op is referring more to scores that increase with actions performed, which usually feel boring because the point value of any given action is so arbitrarily decided. Score systems that rely on clearly communicated goals that demonstrate the player's skill (e.g. Hitman series) actually almost work, and Timers fall into this. Finding our who can finish Super Mario Brothers the fastest is exciting and challenging, out who can get the highest score for killing enemies just sounds tedious.
>>
>>3544709
Only time I ever look at my score in a game is to see how close I am to getting an extra life.
>>
File: logical.jpg (37KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
logical.jpg
37KB, 480x640px
>>3544735
Agreed, it must have purpose to be useful. Otherwise it is mere buffoonery. I've no time for such nonsense.
>>
File: 5723m00.png (786KB, 2128x2352px) Image search: [Google]
5723m00.png
786KB, 2128x2352px
Scores are like the eyecatch videos that play at the title screen of a game, an outdated relic from the days of the arcade cabinet. Prove me wrong
>>
>>3544761
Much like the archaic fairy tales of religion, "high scores" become obsolete upon observation from a refined mind. Make no mistake, scores are for infantile sheeple who have the audacity to call themselves a "gamer."
>>
>>3544754
Just saying, lol. Honestly, if scores were smaller, maybe single or double digit things, then they would be more effective too. But when it's in the tens of thousands? Who could say that's better than seeing the next level of Sunset Riders?
>>
>>3544775
Alright, smartass, then tell us a score system that you enjoyed.
>>
>>3544761
attract mode was still pretty useful back when it was really the only place they could cram in some semblance of a backstory into a game.
>>
>>3544775
Don't worry, this will set them all straight:
http://imgur.com/a/q6BUr
>>
>>3544782
Right, plus there's no way I'm cramming 50 cents into some game I've never even seen before.
>>
File: 1471981763967.gif (1MB, 267x219px) Image search: [Google]
1471981763967.gif
1MB, 267x219px
>>3544775
>>
>>3544782
This is a pretty good point. Also I guess it was useful for not burning the title screen image into your crt
>>
>>3544754
>>3544775
you, i like you. please accept my upvotes good sir.
>>
File: 15 topkek.png (120KB, 236x237px) Image search: [Google]
15 topkek.png
120KB, 236x237px
>>3544775
>>
File: chaplain.png (507KB, 515x514px) Image search: [Google]
chaplain.png
507KB, 515x514px
>Game has a bunch of collectible items
>These do nothing except increase your score
>>
>>3545069
nothing's wrong with it, i like that you can collect a napkin or a chewed up bubble gum in final fight.
>>
File: 1475340707103.jpg (96KB, 700x875px) Image search: [Google]
1475340707103.jpg
96KB, 700x875px
>games has scores
>it doesn't save them though
why
>>
>>3545143
Because arcades aren't excepted to be turned off.
>>
File: scores.png (663KB, 1000x522px) Image search: [Google]
scores.png
663KB, 1000x522px
>>
>>3544709
Scores are for pinball, and pinball is for old men.
You're not an old man, right?
>>
>>3545163
>/vr/
>young man
You must be joking, right?
>>
>>3545114
to be fair, that bubblegum is also a full heal
>>
>>3544709
To compare the score with your friends or other people to objectively determine who is better at the game.

Pretty dumb question DESU.
>>
Check my 8 bros
>>
File: middle lel.jpg (15KB, 276x59px) Image search: [Google]
middle lel.jpg
15KB, 276x59px
>>3545228
dlete tis

captcha:
chilsworthy
>>
File: snowprobleem.jpg (65KB, 594x396px) Image search: [Google]
snowprobleem.jpg
65KB, 594x396px
>>3544775
>>
>>3545228
checked
>>
>>3544720
TICKING AWAY
THE MOMENTS THAT MAKE UP A DULL DAY
YOU FRITTER AND WASTE THE HOURS IN AN OFFHAND WAYYYY
KICKING AROUND ON A PIECE OF GROUND IN YOUR HOMETOWN
JUST WAITING FOR SOMEONE OR SOMETHING TO SHOW YOU THE WAYYYYY

TIRED OF LYING IN THE SUNSHINE
OR STAYING HOME TO WATCH THE RAIN
YOU ARE YOUNG AND LIFE IS LONG
AND THERE IS TIME TO KILL TODAY
AND THEN ONE DAY YOU FIND
TEN YEARS HAVE GOT BEHIND YOU
NO ONE TOLD YOU WHEN TO RUN
YOU MISSED THE STARTING GUN

AND YOU RUN AND YOU RUN TO CATCH UP WITH THE SUN BUT IT'S SINKING
AND RACING AROUND
TO COME UP BEHIND YOU AGAIN
THE SUN IS THE SAME IN THE RELATIVE WAY BUT YOU'RE OLDER
SHORTER OF BREATH AND ONE DAY CLOSER TO DEATH

EVERY YEAR IS GETTING SHORTER
NEVER SEEM TO FIND THE TIME
PLANS THAT EITHER COME TO NOUGHT
OR HALF A PAGE OF SCRIBBLED LINES
HANGING ON IN QUIET DESPERATION IS THE ENGLISH WAY
THE TIME IS GONE, THE SONG IS OVER
THOUGHT I'D SOMETHING MORE TO SAY...

home
home again
I like to be here, when I can
when I come home cold and tired
it's good to warm my bones beside the fire
far away across the field
the tolling of the iron bell
calls the faithful to their knees
to hear the softly spoken magic spell

;_;
>>
File: 1451043499522.jpg (162KB, 959x721px) Image search: [Google]
1451043499522.jpg
162KB, 959x721px
>>3544709
It's really more about the scoring system than the score that makes wanting to get a higher score fun.
>>
>>3544761
Fuck you more games need to have an eyecatch that makes it feel like I just walked into some major event about to unfold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y3NULdbAGg
>>
File: icycat.jpg (55KB, 529x480px) Image search: [Google]
icycat.jpg
55KB, 529x480px
>>3544790
icycalm is still king. The guy's just plain fun to read.
>>
>>3544732
Actually if you take too long Peach will have time to give birth to her rape babies. Mario has to hurry and abort her, he knows how to deal with unwanted sewage in the pipes.
>>
>>3544709
Sounds like the kind of thing someone with a shit score would say.
>>
>>3544709
yeah, sooner or later you end up losing that score or some japanese retard already did it better than you.
>>
>>3544709
Some games had content unlocked by score, games like Metal Slug or various shmaps used score to evaluate your performance, it was an incentetive to return and do better this time.
It might sound like a gimmick but if score system was a bit more elaborate than "shoot nigga - receive 100pts" then it was fun to figure out the most optimal way to do it, think skate/snowboard games,
In arade cabinets it was to create rivalry of sort.
>>
>>3545484
>>3545984
Agreed. Score is relevant in some games. For example, let's say you're playing Street Fighter II. You're pretty good at the game, and it's challenging for you to do it, but on a good day you can reach M. Bison and defeat him without using up all of your continues. You've done it before, but you keep coming back to the game because it's fun. Now, you've lost count of how many times you've completed the tournament, but the game keeps your high score saved. So you can feel accomplished if you're score today is a record breaker, if the scoring system takes into account things like perfect matches, remaining stamina, bonus round performance, hits dealt to the enemy fighter, and so forth. You know your performance in the game overall has improved, meaning you're getting better at the game.

In many arcade games and ports, score gives you extra lives. Important in the arcades, since otherwise you'd be spending your money to get extra lives. Important in the home port, because once you lose all your lives, you have to continue from a checkpoint, or otherwise start the game over from the beginning. This can become tedious in a game with respawning enemies and no time limit, because you can just keep killing enemies over and over to get more lives, which isn't challenging, it's just time-consuming and tedious.

And then there's pinball. I like pinball.
>>
>>3544790
you expect me to read 36 pages and come back in time to reply before the thread closes? fuck, if there was ever a reply worth of TLDR, that was you

btw i found a better version
http://www.mediafire.com/file/6dbctvcd8o94ck6/Scoring_essay.pdf

its the same photos, but with the text near the spine made sharply readable.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.