[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was this the MGS2 of fighting games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

File: Street_Fighter_III_flyer.png (35KB, 222x318px) Image search: [Google]
Street_Fighter_III_flyer.png
35KB, 222x318px
Was this the MGS2 of fighting games?
>>
>Was this the MGS2 of fighting games?

Was it that good?
>>
MGS = wide distribution on all the current trend consoles.

CPS3 = narrow distribution. CPS3 boards are kind of rare, especially in the west.

Besides MGS runs on flamboyant fanboyism alone while SF is actually a game with substance and depth. These two games couldn't be more different.
>>
>>3543370
in the sense that people were upset with the casting, yes
>>
>best one in the series
sure
>>
>we will never get a fighting game that took as many risks as SF3 again
>>
>>3544659
>MGS = wide distribution on all the current trend consoles.

Not originally.

>Besides MGS runs on flamboyant fanboyism alone while SF is actually a game with substance and depth.

I hope these hot opinions helped you ejaculate.
>>
>>3544681
SCV
>>
If this is true, I really need to try SF3 out.
>>
>>3544685
Actually xbox ps2 and gamecube all had mgs games
>>
>>3544713
Go straight for third strike, forget the first two versions

Alex, Elena and Dudley are based as fuck, the other characters are...of varying quality
>>
>>3544681
Yeah, lel.

The biggest risk they took was when they decided to release it in 1997. Not 1993–1995, when it was clearly the time for the follow-up.

The second biggest one was when they planned to exclude Ryu/Ken and add a bunch of Akiman's mutants drawn for other project into the roster.

The third one was the overall wonky feel and a presentation, small cast and obviously fucked up balance.
>>
>>3544681
This, capcom plays its way too safe with character roosters even since SF4.

>Vanilla SF4
>Its just Vanilla Súper with different new challengers but in THREEEEEEEEEEE DEEEEEEEEEER!!!
>Súper 4
>Only 2 newcomers and one was goin to be female but got turned into an AWAKEN MAH HOMOS!!!
>A.E
>Gee, another Akuma transformation.
>Ultra
>Street Fighter : The ported assets from a game that FLOPPED!
>Also a MIDQUEL
>SF V
>WORST ROSTER EVER
>KEN WITH DOWN SYNDROME
>ANOTHER MOTHERFUCKING MIDQUEL
>NOW SJW FRIENDLY!
>>
Is it me or New Generation and 2nd Impact feel like garbage compared to 3rd Strike? There's just something about the hitstun/time stop when hit connects and the overall feel that makes it wonky as fuck. I love the ideas, but before 3S it was unplayable imo
>>
>>3544734
The delayed release really had to have bit that game in the ass. I didn't even know a SFIII existed until I ran across a cabinet years after it released. I just didn't give a shit about fighting games anymore by the late 90s.
>>
>>3544753
People forget about this when accounting for why SF3 bombed so hard
>>
>>3544768
> but muh parry
> but DA BEASS EEZ UNLEESHT

Basically it was a bunch of good ideas with poor execution until 1999. Still, CPS3 was a total failure with its 3 games (I think Hyper Neo Geo 64 had more). The platforms it was ported to (DC, PS2) also ensured SFIII would get missed by 99% of the market. By that time, PS version of Tekken 3 became for PS what SFII was for SNES.
>>
>>3544768
>>3544753
>>3544734
HEY KIDS! LETS MAKE A NEW MEME! ITS CALLED, SF3 WAS A FLOP EVEN 3S BECAUSE...........
>>
>>3543370
If you mean it was a shitty prelude to a far superior game, then yes.

I kid, of course. NG and SI hold a special place in my heart among fighting games. They're wicked imbalanced, but so is Third Strike and everybody loves that one. I think the main issue with the first two SF3 games is that they don't have that raw satisfaction that comes with 3S' excellent sound design.

>>3544728
But who could resist this soundtrack?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSoWyD1KxLo

>>3544753
The only thing that really needed to stay from the first two was logical movement between changing stage backgrounds. That would have been the shit if it stuck around in in Third Strike. The sound design in the first two is also ass. Not only does the voice acting blow chunks, but the hit sounds also feel bland (and what the hell is up with that door creaking sound hen you gain a full meter?).
>>
>>3544734
alpha 3 was fun even though broken af
>>
>>3544875
That's the thing: its selling point was the fun factor. Yeah, it wasn't well balanced, and the animation in it was pretty mediocre, but like MvC it had a shitton of players' favorite characters, x3 with different modes. Some of them were really interesting too, like Rolento for example.

Still, it was broken as fuck. But it had more memorable cast than SFIII, with Sakura, Charlie, Adon, Gen, Final Fight cameos, and so on. I'm really glad a lot of them returned in SFIV and V. Especially Karin, she was the logical evolution of Kyo Kusanagi gameplay-wise.
>>
>>3543370
I... I don't even know how to respond to such an idiotic question.
>>
>>3544809
Akiman himself said SF3 didn't make any money.
He also said Darkstalkers sold well.
>>
SF2 = Metal Gear
SSF2 = Metal Gear 2
SFA = MGS
SFEX = MGS2
SF3 = MGS3
SF4 = MGS4
>>
>>3544940
I agree with your assesment.
>>
>>3544940
Lel wat

It's hard to compare the games to MG as it's a very weird scale to begin with. But definitely, SFII would be MGS and SFIII would be MGS2.

I'd go with this comparison:

SF2 = Super Mario Bros
SF3 = Zelda 2
SFA = Super Mario World
SFEX = Megaman legends
SFIV = New Super Mario Bros
SFV = New Super Mario Bros U (the game you didn't think you needed and you're still not sure)
>>
OP doesn't say that MGS2 sold ~7 million copies, which is on par with the first MGS. For fuck's sake, it's one of the best-selling PS2 games of all time. Above FFX, Tekken 5, Kingdom Hearts and God of War, not to mention MGS3. Now tell me again how it was a "black sheep" of the series.
>>
>>3544978
SF2/SSF2 were the pioneers and built the foundation, like MG1/2 did.

SFA was just 32-bit SF2, like MGS was just 3D MG2.

SFEX is the blacksheep of the family.

SF3 was a radical departure but still good and has a playerbase, like MGS3.

MGS4 relied too much on nostalgia and played it extremely safe, like SF4.
>>
>>3544741
>NOW SJW FRIENDLY!
are you bitching about mika's super
go away
>>
>>3543370
I will never understand the hate for this game. The new characters were cool and the game was so much more fluid and looked amazing.
>>
>>3544985
You're making a huge stretch with every point of yours, implying out of the blue that MGS and SF followed the same pattern. .

No one really gave much fuck about MG1/2 when they came out. They were somewhat similar to SF1 if anything (but SF1 was killed by a different thing: horrendous controls).

SFA was initially planned for CPS1, and was actually a step down from SFII in many ways. Calling it 32-bit SFII is just wrong. It was a cheap attempt at a downgrade/spin-off, initially called SF Legends. But unexpectedly it became more popular than SFIII, the 'real' sequel.

MGS2 sold the same as MGS1. SFEX wasn't a total failure, but it failed to reach even a fraction of SFII's success.

Calling MGS3 "radical departure" is weird if anything. It sold around 3.7 mln copies, less than MGS2 but expectedly so because it came out so late in the life stretch of PS2.
>>
>>3545027

or cammys nip edit or one of top 8 at evo forced to change to a different outfit.
>>
File: OroPortraitSFIII3rd.jpg (154KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
OroPortraitSFIII3rd.jpg
154KB, 1600x1600px
>>3544728
>no mention of Oro
>>
>>3545063
And Ibuki
>>
>>3544659
>CPS3 = narrow distribution. CPS3 boards are kind of rare, especially in the west.
10 years ago there was a little arcade near a local supermarket that had SFIII : second impact, and they closed like 1 year later. I wonder what happened to that cab.
>>
>>3545063
cammy nips is another incredibly insignificant edit. the evo thing probably had more to do with espn than it did capcom or the evo organizers.
so all you're worried about is waaaahhh muh ass and tiddies?
>>
>>3545093
So because it's a small edit that makes it okay? That's how this starts anon. First they censor your games, then your movies, then your books, then speech, and before you know it it's full on 1984.
>>
>>3544659
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
The music, the stages, roster. All fine as shit. It (or at least Third Strike) is the best fighting game of all time imo. But SFA3 is my all time favorite game so take that as you will.
>>
>>3545075
The epitome of SFIII's demented character design and horrifying taste. I mean, Yun/Yang, Elena and Alex were good; I even liked Sean. Dudley, Ibuki and Makoto were alright. But the rest should have been burned with fire.
>>
File: hugo.jpg (146KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
hugo.jpg
146KB, 1600x1600px
>tfw even Hugo got in before Haggar

Haggarfags btfo.
>>
>>3545235
I don't get why people complain about Necro, Twelve and Oro when characters like Blanka and Dhalsim are fine.
>>
>>3545298
> Blanka and Dhalsim are fine
I never said this. All three are not just ugly, they are completely fantastic creatures. You could as well put elves or zergs into SF, it just breaks the whole atmosphere.

Dhalsim was more or less OK because he fell into "national stereotype" theme. He's not a genetic mutant, despite having fantastic superpowers, and he didn't force sci-fi into SF. Compare that to Necro, who just doesn't belong not only to Russia but to SF too. He's like a Darkstalkers character.

Blanka worked better than Oro/Necro in part because he was the only fantastic creature in the whole cast, posed as an obvious gimmick to add variety—so he was still tied into the whole cast somehow. Plus, he wasn't THAT fantastic, having a Jungle Book-style backstory. He got better in SFA when they made him comic relief character though. Still a garbage character gameplay-wise, too much like Honda, but he did provide some variety pretty nicely IMO.

Conversely, SFIII went full on genetic mutants/ugly fucks mode, without explaining that change much. It wasn't "variety" when the whole game was full of them. How those shits even were allowed to fight in the tournament next to normal teens was a mystery. No, really, the inner conflict between the realistic, relatable Sean/Yun and Oro/Necro/Gill couldn't be any more apparent. Kids VS freaks is more Scooby-Doo than SF.
>>
File: CpEjOZzUAAAx8gO.jpg (35KB, 600x743px) Image search: [Google]
CpEjOZzUAAAx8gO.jpg
35KB, 600x743px
>>3545098
the changes came from inside capcom voluntarily so the 1984 comparison is just bullshit, and your slippery slope is reactionary babby logic in the first place. i can't believe you /v/ fuckers pitch a fit over this. vidya game ass and tiddies need to be protected reeee... except that there's still tons of ass n tiddy games for degenerates like you.
>>
>>3544728
>Alex
>Elena
>based as fuck

Yep, you don't play the game.
>>
>>3545334
lol, thats one awesome pic you got there
>>
>>3545334
Mulletphobia in our society is disturbing
>>
>>3545331
>Blanka worked better than Oro/Necro in part because he was the only fantastic creature in the whole cast, posed as an obvious gimmick to add variety—so he was still tied into the whole cast somehow. Plus, he wasn't THAT fantastic, having a Jungle Book-style backstory. He got better in SFA when they made him comic relief character though. Still a garbage character gameplay-wise, too much like Honda, but he did provide some variety pretty nicely IMO.
This is where your entire argument falls apart. You just contradicted yourself. You really tried not to, but you still did.

Blanka belongs in SF as much as Necro and Oro do.
>>
>>3544897
It's underage /v/, what do you expect?
>>
>>3546218
I specifically said he was 1 crazy character made specifically for variety. 1 is not 4 or 5. He fit with the jungle theme, he wasn't just some monster randomly walking the streets. Plus he wasn't that freaky/ugly, basically looking like a jungle yeti.

Still, really, I'd be lying if I said I ever gave a fuck about Blanka.
>>
It's a shame what they did with Blanka. The SF2 sprite where he's yellow-ish seems at least plausible, but the Capcom goes full pants-on-head and makes him as green as a Christmas tree for no reason at all. Now it's just cartoony and goofy instead of being a savage jungle beast.
>>
>>3546240
Hey scrub, blanka was supposed to be a brazilian man slave.
>>
>>3546408
> Designed by Akira "Akiman" Yasuda, the concept behind Blanka emerged in an early design as an African man named Anabebe who was raised by a lion.[citation needed] After the release of Final Fight, Capcom again approached Street Fighter II and considered several designs for the Blanka character (including a masked wrestler modeled after Tiger Mask and a ninja-style warrior).[citation needed] His prototypical name was "Big Dean Caves".[citation needed] His design later changed to a large man with thick hair and sideburns, named "Hammer Blanka".[citation needed] The staff then adopted Blanka's feral appearance, because they felt the game would be "dull" with only human characters.
>>
>>3546416
>quoting multiple [citation needed]

Get that fuck outta here kiddo
>>
>>3547082
I dunno, sounds pretty legit
>>
>>3547082
I'm sorry. Brb, gotta interview Akiman himself
>>
>>3545034
its a great game but the roster changes were awful theres a reason most of those shitty characters never returned
>>
>>3543370
it had gameplay, so it wasn't like mgs2 at all
>>
>>3547520
Who was awful? Most of them went on to become SF classics that came back in IV and fans want them back in V again.
>>
>>3547539
q
twelve
necro
remy
alex
dudley
elena
makoto
urine
sean
>>
>>3547546
Most of those seem to have been pretty well received, especially Dudley and Makoto. Remy sucks six dicks though, that's not up for debate.
>>
>>3547539
Necro, Oro, Gill, Twelve were atrocious. Q and Hugo less so, but still questionable. Ibuki, Urien and Makoto were better, but take the candle for being the blandest designs SF had ever come up with (after Twelve). Sean was received poorly AFAIK, and Capcom made him their next Dan in 3S. Remy I personally have little against, but… yeah.

And the characters that got popular were really bland. They barely made steps from teens wearing the most ordinary outfits.

The best character from the game was perhaps Elena—fit the "World Warrior" theme, was hot, original and had a decent fighting style.
>>
>>3547603
Wow, so much bias towards Elena.

Hey, you want WORLD STEREOTYPES?, what about Fighter's Destiny?, They have a better frenchie and even a rastafarian.
>>
>>3547603
>was hot

uhhhhh... not particularly. I'm all for an Africa fighter but it was kind of stupid her fighting style was Brazilian. In retrospect it's too bad Elena wasn't the Brazil rep and Blanka was from the Congo or something.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.