[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the most hated man on /vr/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8

File: 179644.jpg (102KB, 343x500px) Image search: [Google]
179644.jpg
102KB, 343x500px
Is this the most hated man on /vr/?
>>
No idea who that is.
>>
>>3543041
Is this the most hated repost on /vr/?
>>
>>3543041
It's SoJ's fault for pissing off based Kalinske with their shitty business decisions and practices.

SoJ placed too much faith in the Saturn when the market was clearly moving ahead with 3D and deprecating 2D.
>>
I was a segafag back in the day and it's not this mans fault the company stumbled and faltered.

Japan shit the bed. Everything that ever went wrong was on them.

>baww Bernie never brought over the good Saturn games such as my favorite JRPG

Some of these games would have earned literally hundreds of dollars for the company, or they would have resulted in a massive loss. They were not worth the risk. Sega had no equivalent to the FF7 killer app.

Working designs never got rich off the the few titles they did manage to bring over. It's not that these were bad games, it's just that people didn't buy them.
>>
>>3543041
Who is it?
>>
>>3543168

Sega of America guy who declared the Saturn had no future.
>>
File: badass-segata.jpg (44KB, 279x350px) Image search: [Google]
badass-segata.jpg
44KB, 279x350px
>>3543110
>>3543163

>Fuck the japanese who made Sega what they were, making video games and shit, the company would be just fine by business men from USA! Bernie did nothing wrong, the saturn sucked!

SoA apologists are the worst.
>>
>>3543175
Weebcucks who fellate anything Japanese are even worse.
>>
The Saturn was doomed regardless of whether he said the dumb line or not. No RPGs was totally dumb but, again, did it ACTUALLY cost them anything? Probably not. FF7 took off because it hit all the right notes at the right time on the right (already popular) console, the Saturn had some great stuff but it was never going to pull that off.
>>
>>3543196

Yeah fuck Japan, who needed producers like Yu Suzuki.
>>
>>3543175

What could SoA have done differently to allow the saturn to compete with the playstation or N64?

They had only a handful of titles that sold over 1 million copies and most of those were bundled with consoles. The 3-in-1 bundle of Virtua fighter 2, daytona, and virtua cop make up their best selling games. Can you even call it a best selling game when you give away 500,000 copies for free?

What unreleased title did japan have that could save the system when going head to head with Metal Gear Solid, FF7, Goldeneye 64?
>>
>>3543170
he was right, the battle was lost before it even began

>>3543110
can we please stop perpetuating the bullshit story that saturn wasn't designed for 3D? it was designed to excel at 2D and 3D, but Japan's hardware design was trash
>>
>>3543198
>No RPGs was totally dumb
Not completely true, it's just that SoJ would forbid certain games from having a worldwide release if they failed to sell higher than a certain threshold in Japan. If you want proof, look no further than Shining Force III. Part 1 sold like shit in the US, guess what SoJ did? Blocked Parts 2 and 3. This would infuriate Camelot and drive them to go join Nintendo. They also blocked Grandia which prompted Game Arts to do a port to PSX because it sold like shit. Same goes to Silhouette Mirage and SMT Devil Summoner, among other JP-only games with poor sales. Bernie wasn't great but he gets way too much blame that should be placed on SoJ instead- he was just a simple yes-man and only took orders from SoJ, whereas Kalinske actually had a backbone and saw through their bullshit and would leave the company for good.
>>
File: dats the ticket.jpg (81KB, 500x394px) Image search: [Google]
dats the ticket.jpg
81KB, 500x394px
>>3543212
You mean the man responsible for crashing Sega with his 50 million dollar Shenmue budget? Yeah, what a fucking awesome producer he turned out to be!
>>
>>3543231

I wasn't being ironic. Yeah Shenmue was a disaster.

Honestly what Sega needed with the Saturn was a great mascot. Kalinske couldn't market that NiGHTS thing, it needed a Sonic, something that was more sellable to western audiences.
>>
>alternate reality
>Sega never releases Saturn
>keeps making/releasing Genesis games while working on next console
>releases 5th gen console that is a mixture of all the awesome parts of Saturn mixed with all the awesome parts about Dreamcast
>begin to completely dominate the 5th gen
>>
File: sega32x.jpg (49KB, 606x388px) Image search: [Google]
sega32x.jpg
49KB, 606x388px
>>3543236
You left out the most important part.

>32X, Sega's best system, would've been given a chance to shine
>>
>>3543230

RPGs had a bad track record from 1994-1996 though. They have 1000 times more text to translate than a normal game and are aimed at a smaller market.

Sega was wise to steer clear of them. The SNES had the best results with JRPGS in 1994-1995 but at the time those too were considered failures.

Nintendo stumbled horribly with earthbound in 1995. FF3(6) was also underperformed in the west, and Chrono trigger sold even less.

>"In terms of numbers, [Final Fantasy VI] didn't sell in the States. It actually did very well in Japan. I'm mystified, because I see [Americans] are playing the [mobile] version. I am kind of mystified [by VI's current popularity in the West], because [Americans] didn't buy Final Fantasy VI back then."

So when Saturn launched in 1995 they had very good reason to be cautious of RPGs. The very best Japan had to offer barely made a ripple in the west (despite 23 million SNES out there).

Sega's own well reviewed phantasy star 4 also sold like shit in the west, and it came out the same year as the saturn. Why would they want to repeat that experience?
>>
>>3543248

>32X fanboys actually exist

How is the 32X better than the Saturn?
>>
>>3543236
>the hype from their 5th gen console carries over to their 6th gen console
>6th gen console gives real competition to the PS2 instead of the lopsided massacre the 6th gen console war was in this reality
>Microsoft release XBOX, which is quickly swept into irrelevancy and eventually obscurity as people go for either PS2 or Sega's 6th gen console (as well as the Nintendo faithful getting the GameCube)
>Microsoft never make another console again
Sega could have prevented one of the worst things to ever happen to video games from happening by keeping M$ from getting in the industry.
>>
>>3543248

Imagine if the 32x came out just 2 years earlier and was bundled with the sega CD.
>>
>>3543257

The Xbox was released the same year Sega announced the DC's discontinuity, and Microsoft even worked with Sega for the Windows CE.

I think MS would have entered the market one way or another.
>>
>>3543252
It had a better port of VF1 before Saturn. Also it actually got a proper Sonic game.
>>
>>3543267

So because it got a better port of VF1 it means 32X is overall better than Saturn? VF2 and VF Remix are both better than VF1 on 32X.

>proper Sonic game.

Anon...
>>
>>3543251
> I am kind of mystified [by VI's current popularity in the West], because [Americans] didn't buy Final Fantasy VI back then."

Who ever you are quoting doesn't know about ZSNES. Because that's how FF6 got its fan base in the late 90s and early 2000s.

No one I know who had an SNES played FF6 before emulators were a thing. But once everyone had the internet, everyone was playing the ROMs.
>>
>>3543295
>Who ever you are quoting doesn't know about ZSNES

Hironobu Sakaguchi in 2015. I forgot to mark it.

>No one I know who had an SNES played FF6 before emulators were a thing.

We were definitely a minority.

I bought FF6 day 1, same as FF2(4). I was the only one at my highschool that played the series, although a few people in the AD&D crowd knew what RPGs were.
>>
>>3543262
Even more, XBox could have gotten DC compatibility, but that's some parallel universe now.
>>
>>3543343
All of my friends played FF6 (3) on emulator, not a single one owned it, despite a large number of them being SNES owners. This popularity surge was also during the 5th gen era, around the time FF7 and 8 were out. Probably directly connected. Based on my experiences, I wouldn't be surprised if this was generally the trend. FF7 made the series big, and everyone went online and found out you could download the previous entries for free and found out they liked them.

This applies to me, as well. I got my SNES in 1992. I never rented any JRPGs or knew anyone who had any. I later bought FF2,3, and CT, but this was, once again, during the 5th gen era.
>>
>>3543041
Most Misunderstood
>>
>>3543408

Bernie go to bed
>>
>>3543236
The best thing that Sega could have done is release the N64 with a CD drive.

In fact, Kalinske want this to happen and he was organizing it, but as usual, the short-sighted SOJ wanted to use their incompetent hardware design that was 5 times less powerful at 3D and 3 times the manufacturing price.
>>
>>3543045
He's the man who announced the Dreamcast for $200, when SoJ wanted them to price it at $250.
>>
>>3543230
RPGs were very expensive to localize due to lots of content (not only to localize but also to check if it is "safe" content), so they blocked them because they wouldn't bring back their costs. Remember that the Saturn had an extremely small user base in America, they only sold a couple hundred thousand units, and most of those users already moved on to the Playstation by 1997.
>>
>>3543257
>Sega could have prevented one of the worst things to ever happen to video games from happening by keeping M$ from getting in the industry.

Dreamcast already had popular FPS games and primary focus on netplay, and Sega pioneered the whole casual dudebro audience with the Genesis.

Xbox picked up literally where the Dreamcast stopped.
>>
>>3543110
SOA apologist churning up this old meme.
>>
>>3543992
The N64 design would've been unsuitable for pushing all of Segas past titles, all of which relied heavily on tile based backgrounds and huge sprites.

Really the only big faults of the Saturn was that the polygon hardware was very slow, and the devkits were immature.
>>
>>3543163
>everything that ever went wrong was on SoJ
>90 buck Phantasy Star 4
>cardboard game boxes
>Xerox instruction manuals
>Saturn's advertising
>SoJ
I'm laughin' mate. SoA were such monumental fuck ups. Their one true hit, Genesis, was literally propped up by Jap arcade conversions and Sonic.
>>
>>3543234
Bug
Lelel
>>
>>3544026
Not at all, N64 hardware had a blit mode that is faster than VDP2.

But even discarding that, look at the PS1 hardware which works virtually the same way as N64. It did a very commendable job in matching Saturn at 2D. It was faster at pushing sprites, even.

Now combine that into a system that would be even faster at pushing sprites, has reprogrammable acceleration hardware and more RAM, and you have a console that would beat Saturn in 99% of real world 2D scenarios. All it needed was CD drive. And arguably less stingy memory architecture which Sega could provide.
>>
I blame the decision the push forward the release date of the saturn; if they had waited for the hype of christmas being around the corner, it wouldve gotten more sales, but because it was released early, it fucked up the flow of a lot of games being developed. Also didnt help psx was cheaper. Either way, Collecting for Saturn is fun as hell, great system when you get down to it.
>>
>>3544013
>Xbox picked up literally where the Dreamcast stopped
In 3rd place?
>>
>>3543196
Westernfags who fellate anything from Europe or America are just as purulent.
>>
>>3544018
>it's another "SoJ did nothing wrong" episode on /vr/

This place sucks.
>>
>>3543231
>Creates some of Segas biggest arcade hits ever with Super Hang On, Outrun, Afterburner, Virtua Fighter, ect.
>messed up on Shenmue
>Shenmue still getting part 3 due to demand
>Hur dur what a producer
Stay mad, kid.
>>
>>3544067
Then GTFO
>>
>>3544039
Pushing sprites fast and being faster is not everything. You'd need major work on the software side to get an engine that can do linebuffer based background effects, and even then it would be only an approximate, not the same thing.

And the 4k texture limit would completely destroy any chance of, say, being able to run Space Harrier on the N64. The RAM latency wouldn't help either.
>>
>>3544048
White Europeans are the best race on earth and have contributed the most to humanity. If I had to fellate anyone, it'd be them, not a bunch of slanty-eyed rice-fucking rats.

Now piss off back to 2chan, you fucking mong.
>>
>>3543110
Time for your meds Tom
>It was those Japs, always! Pearl Harbor!
Top kek
>>
>>3544071
>Super Hang On, Outrun, Afterburner
meme games that were style over substance

>Virtua Fighter
the most unpopular and least played fighting game of all time

and i'm supposed to like yu suzuki? lol
>>
>>3544086
You can make fun of Tom all you want, but he was right about Saturn hardware being absolute shit.
>>
>>3544083
Stay mad /pol/. Besides admiting to sucking dick, your initial statement is in error. I'd tell you to fuck off back to /pol/, but it'll be deleted soon anyway. I hope you can work out your obvious sexual frustration by sucking more dick.
>>
>>3544083
>Hey Weeb, get off 4chan
FUCKING KEK
>>
>>3544093
Thanks, Tom
>>
>>3544089
His games are beloved and well-regarded by many. Whether you personally like them or not is ultimately irrelevant.
>>
>>3544089
Nigga shitin on classic Sega arcade games.
Man, this place has turned to shit.
>>
>>3544089
>Super Hang-on
>meme games that were style over substance

I want to punch you in the face

>the most unpopular and least played fighting game of all time

In japan it's as big as Street Fighter.
>>
>>3544081
>You'd need major work on the software side to get an engine that can do linebuffer based background effects, and even then it would be only an approximate, not the same thing.

If N64 hardware were adapted for Sega you could bet that microcode would be provided out-of-the-box that would hardware accelerate a background linebuffer simulation. Developers wouldn't even have to dive too deeply into the software, the hardware would just accept appropriate display lists from the CPU.

>And the 4k texture limit would completely destroy any chance of, say, being able to run Space Harrier on the N64

You're kidding right? Do you even know how tiling works? Pro tip: 4 KB could hold several VDP2 tiles simultaneously.

But besides, the 4 KB texture limit only exists because N64 has the world's cheapest memory architecture implementation of all time.

Sega weren't as interested in pure cost cutting as Nintendo, they'd give an "SGI Saturn" proper memory channels for different components, instead of Nintendo's way which is to shove the whole system into a single memory bus.

>The RAM latency wouldn't help either.

See above about Sega putting in a better memory architecture, but once again you demonstrate how little you know about tiling. 2D tiling has fairly predictable (less random) memory reads/writes compared to 3D graphics, so random access latency isn't really a problem.
>>
>>3544162
>You're kidding right? Do you even know how tiling works? Pro tip: 4 KB could hold several VDP2 tiles simultaneously.

It could hold exactly one 32x32 16bpp tile. If could only hold several if you would've gone for 16x16 tiles or 8bit tiles.

Now tell me, how would that help, if you wanted to draw several full-screen sized sprites, to run Galaxy Force 2?

>2D tiling has fairly predictable (less random) memory reads/writes compared to 3D graphics, so random access latency isn't really a problem.

A traditional line buffered display would check several registers and possibly several memory reads for every pixel that it plots.
On the N64, which is a framebuffer based rasterizer, you could get around this by just drawing everything back to front, sure. But even then you'd need custom code for linescroll, column scroll, the combination of those, palette cycling effects, etc. I'm not intimately familiar as to how much on-chip memory the N64 gpu has for such operations, but you'd need to set up things like a table of line scroll patterns every frame, then write microcode so each drawn "tile" of a background has the proper line and column scroll applied to it, relative to which part of the screen it is. So basically changing the location of each pixel, as it is drawn, giving them non rectangular looks.

And then you have things like Space Harrier or Hang-on, which have a single graphic that they use extreme line scrolling on to create unique perspective on.

If you wanted to replicate oldschool line buffer hardware perfectly on a modern framebuffer rasterizer, then you'd most likely need to plot each background line by line in software... oh wait, that requires a lot of random memory accessing.
>>
>>3543417
Take the red pill
>>
>>3544193
>It could hold exactly one 32x32 16bpp tile. If could only hold several if you would've gone for 16x16 tiles or 8bit tiles.

Hey! Guess what? The largest tile VDP2 could deal with was 16x16.

>Now tell me, how would that help, if you wanted to draw several full-screen sized sprites, to run Galaxy Force 2?

The same way tiling works, just compose several 4 KB tiles into a "sprite". But that's assuming we're still dealing with a texture limit and not a Sega-ified SGI system.

There is nothing inherently preventing the N64's GPU working with textures larger than 4 KB, it just doesn't have an external memory bus to do so.

It's certainly better than using the ultra-slow VDP1 for sprites.

>I'm not intimately familiar as to how much on-chip memory the N64 gpu has for such operations

The GPU has 4 KB of data cache, 4 KB of instruction cache, and 4 KB of texture cache.

>If you wanted to replicate oldschool line buffer hardware perfectly on a modern framebuffer rasterizer, then you'd most likely need to plot each background line by line in software

You wouldn't be aiming for a 100% compatible system, 99% with rasterization is good enough because it has a trillion other benefits.

>that requires a lot of random memory accessing.

No, it would require a lot of memory accessing, that's true enough. But it wouldn't be very random.
>>
>>3544074
>get off muh board
>>>/v/
>>
>>3544217
>Hey! Guess what? The largest tile VDP2 could deal with was 16x16.

Which is completely irrelevant since the tiles were just how the graphics were arranged in VRAM, it didn't actually draw things 16x16 tile at a time.
>>
>>3544228
Yeah but my point is that the texture cache wouldn't need to be refreshed very much to work with what VDP2 is working with. VDP2 and N64's GPU (most of time) are drawing 1 pixel at a time anyway.

If you're looking to do straight out blitting the N64 can do four 16 bit pixels per cycle though, while VDP1 could just do one 16 bit pixel. Beyond theoretical fill rate though VDP2 would probably win anyway since it doesn't hit memory so hard. Well, it's not exactly unexpected. VDP2's custom built for a very narrow purpose, while N64's GPU was designed to be the perfect all-rounder (hence the programmable microcode subsystem).

I still think the Saturn hardware was an obvious mistake. While not ditch VDP2 for a GPU that can do a 2D job almost as well, but is actually useful for 3D?
>>
>>3544213

Stolar is a jew. So was Kalinske.
>>
>>3544089
>meme games that were style over substance
Agree
>>
>>3544041
Rekt
>>
>>3544089
>Sega arcade classics
>meme games
WEW LAD
Tell that to Sega's successful 3D classics line up.
>>
>>3544089
>>3544352
>I'm not samefagging, really guys
>>
File: sameperson.png (8KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
sameperson.png
8KB, 450x450px
>>3544406
Segadildodron, please
>>
>>3544424
>look ma! My first shoop
Shigerudiggido, fàm
>>
>>3544148

>anon just realized /vr/ shits on all the sacred cows

a bit slow eh?
>>
>>3544434
Moar like a bit newfag
WWWwwWW
>>
File: bernie.jpg (25KB, 285x371px) Image search: [Google]
bernie.jpg
25KB, 285x371px
>Shit hardware
>Shit exclusives
>Shit arcade ports
>Shit fanbase
its no wonder the Saturn failed
>>
File: Die Welt Von Panzer Dragoon Zwei.jpg (280KB, 1068x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Die Welt Von Panzer Dragoon Zwei.jpg
280KB, 1068x1500px
>>3544448

Stolar please.
>>
>>3543041
I thought the most hated guy on /vr/ was the guy that posted the penguin gif.
>>
Are Australians the most hated people on /vr/?
>>
>Amigafags hate him.
>Find out how he tanked a platform with this one simple trick!
>>
>>3545840
JUST
>>
>>3544549
No it's the guy she posts the Bitch What pic
>>
>>3543041
Great Man
>>
>>3544448
Panzer Dragoon was fucking tight.
>>
>>3543041
NO, the most hated man on /vr/ is the guy whos every second written word is "cuck".
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.