[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How good are you at Tetris?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

File: Tetris-1.png (9KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Tetris-1.png
9KB, 800x600px
How good are you at Tetris?
>>
>>3542253
I got Statue of Liberty to launch after losing at lvl. 18 in Tetris DX. I think I had 192 lines cleared and 140,000 points.
>>
131 lines in GB tetris
867 lines in Tengen NES version
>>
I can rarely beat a single level
>>
>>3542253
I used to be really good. Played it before going to sleep almost every night for over 10 years. Got so I could clear game B at level 9, 5 high pretty regularly. I haven't played in a long long time though.

Block holding ruins the game in my opinion.
>>
>>3542253
Good but not great.
>>
I can clear 200 lines in Tetris DS but that's not retro and casual as fuck. Still can't beat level 4 CPU, only by luck.
>>
Okay, I guess. I'd rather play Tetris Attack or Puyo Puyo.
>>
File: tetris_highscore.jpg (120KB, 800x696px) Image search: [Google]
tetris_highscore.jpg
120KB, 800x696px
>>3542253
About this good.
>>
File: 0001.png (47KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
0001.png
47KB, 320x240px
About that good
>>
File: 20160609_205931.jpg (122KB, 664x374px) Image search: [Google]
20160609_205931.jpg
122KB, 664x374px
>>3542253

muh high score.
>>
"not"
>>
I only do sprints and shit, but I could get 40 lines under a minute pretty consistently. I think my record was 49.
>>
>>3542253
in the Arcade one, I cannot remember how many lines exactly but I've been to the level where the bricks literally warp down as soon as their first pixel get rendered.
>>
File: Brick_Game_9999_In_1.jpg (35KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Brick_Game_9999_In_1.jpg
35KB, 640x480px
I played for hours in one of those... then i got bored and start dropping the pieces like a madman till i lose
>>
i only do basic idiot stacking, haven't bothered to learn to set up and use tspins, the retro games don't even care about them right?
i cleared marathon mode for the first time a week ago, non retro tetris though, axis on 3ds. felt like i got away with a little bit of spin to win at times, not sure if i should even be proud.
>>
File: tgm.webm (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
tgm.webm
2MB, 320x180px
This good. (Apologies in advance for shitty camerawork, encoding, one handed gameplay, and TGM3)
>>
nullpomino boys, where we at
>>
>>3542253
i suck in it
i lose there every time
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>3542873
Wow nice. Here's mine
>>
>>3544120
Did these also have other games on them, like a racing game?
>>
>>3545552

yep, they had a racing game to avoid obstacles, a tank game, a breakout game... and i cant remember more. You can still get one here for 2 dollars.
>>
>>3542253
no
>>
>>3542253
Okay-ish. Nothing special.
>>
File: IMG_20161007_174854.jpg (825KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161007_174854.jpg
825KB, 3264x2448px
This good
>>
I'm a classic S3 (Master) in TGM3. Been playing for about six months. Shit's hard, man.

I'm a big puzzle games person but never got into Tetris until I tried TGM. It's... amazinng.
>>
How do I git gud at NEStris?

I can usually break 100k but then I fall flat.
>>
>>3547812

practice playing at higher speeds.

also, when you've got a long piece coming and you can get a tetris or fill in a gap always go for the tetris
>>
>>3542807
Holds make the game different, that's for sure, but I'd argue that it can be an improvement.

The main thing is that holds are part of a larger gameplay system. One tetris game that benefits a lot from holds is TGM 3, and it's due to a combination of factors that make it different from most other Tetris games (assuming you play classic and not world).

The main thing is that TGM 3 is mostly 20G gameplay. 20G without hold and ARS rotations produces a very large number of situations where the player is forced to compromise. This isn't bad by itself - it's basically the whole premise of TAP death - but it means that, with hold, you can really raise the expectations for speed without introducing a big element of luck. Indeed, with hold you're pretty much entirely insulated from luck no matter how fast the game is going. If your stack is flawed you will still be forced to make compromises but mistakes basically can't accumulate due to luck alone.

Having said that, many have made the argument that no hold places a greater emphasis on proper stacking since you have no safety, and I understand that argument. I think it comes down to preference, as TGM3 is obviously a much more demanding game despite the presence of hold and still requires good stacking at all levels of play.

I do wonder though why games with very generous rotation systems have a hold since you can often spin to win and it's very easy to create a low-risk stack. This is especially true at low speeds since you don't even need to worry about manuvering the pieces.
>>
>>3547837
I think this is flawed advice. If you can skim and/or the gap requires an I to fill you should probably not make the tetris since leaving the gap will likely force you to make a hole later. I would only take the tetris if you're running out of breathing room or if it will leave you in bad shape to fill the gap (like if it creates another gap that needs I).
>>
>>3542253
Playing alone, at a fixed speed (fast, but not instadrop), I could never lose.

But I guess that means jackshit when people like KevinDDR exist
>>
>>3548794
I think there is a certain speed for all players at which this is possible. I could play at TGM3's level 800 speed (before the lock delay gets decreased), which is 20G, forever with no problems.
>>
My highest NES Tetris is 300,000, but I usually get around 150,000
>>
>>3542807
Block holding is not as bad as the bag type randomization of the tetriminos that's present in modern Tetris games like TGM or Tetris DS. The risk of losing from bad moves is reduced and the game becomes semi-predictable. It's guaranteed that every tetrimino will appear at least once in a sequence. What's the fun in that?
>>
>>3542253
In the gameboy game I could reach the rocket cut scene from my high score

you plebeians ever seen the rocket? probably not lmao
>>
>>3547843
>Having said that, many have made the argument that no hold places a greater emphasis on proper stacking since you have no safety, and I understand that argument.

This is pretty much my opinion on it. I think being able to deal with the tension of building for a Tetris without knowing if or when a long piece will come is the real core of good Tetris playing. Block holding ruins that whole thing for me. Or at least changes it enough that I think it's worse. I'm also anti-spin as well.

I do get how if someone first learned Tetris with holding they may prefer it, for me there's no question though.
>>
>>3550781
TGM doesn't work like this; its system just diminishes the possibility of repeating the same piece in a row, with increasing effectiveness as the series went on. In TGM3 it's pretty rare to see two of the same piece in a row and impossible to see three. The game also never starts on an S or Z.

It works by checking the last few pieces and seeing if the piece it selected is in there. If it is, it rolls again. That means to get a dupe it has to have passed both attempts.

>>3552223
Hold is basically necessary to make TGM3 beatable. In that sense, the main argument for hold is that it allows you to increase the burden you place on the player. TGM3 conversely requires good stacking anyway because you play most of the game at 20G and with increasingly fast piece turnover.

I doubt that there's more than a handful of people who can handle level 900 without hold.
>>
>>3542825
tetris DS is the best version though

TGM fags are fagbutts
>>
>>3542253
>How good are you at Tetris?

I could probably code a version.

oh wait, you mean playing?
>>
>>3550809
>you plebeians ever seen the rocket? probably not lmao

I could max out all the drop counter columns on Tengen Tetris. And that one doesn't even have any scraping, if a tetromino touches anything, it is placed down.
>>
>>3554437
The lock delay is close to, but not zero. Also, the big counterbalance here is that the gravity is extremely low compared to newer, faster games. Tradeoffs.

>>3554428
I appreciate NES tetris and whatnot but TGM is the game I want to play.
>>
>>3554428
10/10 would lol again
>>
What's the best version of Tetris? I always played Tetris on the snes back in the day
>>
>>3556413
Depends on your want out of the game.
Original Tetris or Tetris DS for portability.
Puyo Puyo Tetris for the fun factor with a group.
TGM 3 for speed and frustration.
>>
>>3554419
>Hold is basically necessary to make TGM3 beatable.

That all just sounds like the game is easier so you can play longer. Doesn't make it better at all.
>>
>>3542253
Just over 200k points in GB tetris. 250k tops.
That shit goes fucking fast.
>>
>>3556413

Tetris DS was probably the last good official release. Actually, it's a pretty safe bet with any of the tetris games that Nintendo worked on personally. Or hell, any japanese studio. The actual Tetris company sucks nuts and don't give a damn about the products they put out.
>>
>>3556413
my opinion is tetris grandmaster. grandmaster is a very hard kind of tetris
>>
>>3556457
The argument is that TGM3 would be literally impossible without hold, since as it is (with hold) a grand total of six people have obtained the highest possible grade in the main game mode.

To elaborate, TGM 3's frankly insane requirements are only within the margins of human ability as it is, and it's because of hold that that's true.

If you're not familiar, getting a GM in TGM 3 requires you to play at a very fast speed for a long time without ever slowing down and then play an invisible game for 54 seconds, during which you have to get at least a few tetrises. The vast majority of people who play TGM3, even those who play it a lot, can't survive the whole game, at least not without playing far too slowly to get a passable grade.

If you took hold out, you might see people make the GM requirements for most of the game but it is extremely doubtful that anyone would be able to do the invisible part of the game without hold. Again, as it is with hold, TGM 3 is one of the most difficult, if not most difficult, games ever made, and it's necessary for hold to exist to make those requirements even possible in the first place.

Here's a video with some commentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e8qGnfswso
>>
How do I get better at Marathon? How do I get better at 2P Versus? How do I get better at Tetris in general? I have NullpoMino.
>>
tell me, /vr/
are T-spins legit?
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.