[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recent Translations Thread: Why don't you just learn moon already

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 296
Thread images: 48

File: translations are immoral.png (365KB, 1601x1346px) Image search: [Google]
translations are immoral.png
365KB, 1601x1346px
English:
>Family Trainer: Totsugeki! Fuuun Takeshi Jou (English)(Fully Playable)(NES)
>Nekketsu Koukou Dodgeball-bu: Soccer Hen (English)(Unfinished)(X68K)
>Vixen 357 (English)(Fully Playable)(GEN)
>Rival Turf! (English)(Fully Playable)(SNES)
>Belloncho Body Inspection (English)(Fully Playable)(PC-98)

http://www.romhacking.net/news/1782/
https://www.patreon.com/posts/release-body-18-6879178

Other Languages:
>Dahna: Megami Tanjou (French)(Fully Playable)(GEN)
>Famicom Wars (French)(Fully Playable)(NES)
>Stanley: The Search for Dr. Livingston (Spanish)(Fully Playable)(NES)
>G.I. Joe (Spanish)(Fully Playable)(NES)
>Kishin Douji Zenki: Battle Raiden (Spanish)(Fully Playable)(SNES)
>The Little Mermaid (Spanish)(Fully Playable)(NES)
>Soldier of Fortune (Spanish)(Fully Playable)(DC)

Other romhacks:
http://www.romhacking.net/news/1781/
>>
>>3537758
Nice! Played it years ago without understanding the story so I'll give it another go.
It's pretty simplistic but I'd still recommend it to fans of SRW or Langrisser.
>>
>>3537768
Are you going to understand the story by playing a rewrite?
>>
File: .jpg (12KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
12KB, 400x400px
>>3537789
Oh boy here we go again
>>
>>3537758

My body is ready.
>>
File: vixen 357.gif (2MB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
vixen 357.gif
2MB, 320x224px
>>3537768
>>3537832
I always knew the game from these cutscenes but have no idea what's the game actually about
>>
I'm puzzled as to why people bother translating games to languages that aren't English. It's hard to imagine someone who takes interest in these games isn't old enough to know English and it's not like kids are going to play NES games nowadays.
>>
>>3539869
Same reason people translate to English: convenience for reading in your own language combined with the fun of completing the project.
>>
>>3539870
I understand it being a fun project, but ever since I learned English I always preffered it over local localizations. Not that I had that much choice but still.
>>
>>3539873
And ever since I learned Japanese I preferred it a million times over than the English release, which is effectively a rewrite because of how different the languages are. I don't think all languages are inherently translatable to each other, and the further the roots are away, the poorer the overall quality.

The Spanish translations are generally for all the people who are too dumb to learn English, and there's still a sizable amount of them. The French ones are because the French are insanely elitist about their awful language, and basically demand everything in French even if they know perfect English.
>>
>>3539883
>And ever since I learned Japanese I preferred it a million times over than the English release
Same, though I'd prefer anything in it's original language one way or another.

I bet most non-English translations are just translations from the English version, so it ends up being far from the original assuming it's a Japanese game.
>>
>>3539889
seems like a creepy message was found inside the rom, anybody care to translate? Credit's not mine

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,22791.0.html
>>
>>3540545
The entire text is pretty much about lolita complex. Four last lines are literally.

>5さいのコがイイ 5さいのコがイイ
>5さいのオンナのコが イチバンイイ
>5さいのコがイイ 5さいのコがイイ
>5さいのオンナのコが イチバンイイ

>Five year olds are great, five year olds are great
>Five years old girls are the best
>>
>>3540557
holy hell that's creepy
>>
>>3540557
No, it's a song from the perspective of Tsutomu Miyazaki, the guy who raped, killed and partially ate 4 children. It's more about necrophilia.
>>
>>3540830
Yeah, didn't read the entire thing. Did not know that, wonder why it's inside the text.
>>
>>3540557

Which game?
>>
>>3540864
Vixen 357
>>
>>3540557
Someone willing to give a full translation?
>>
>>3542280
Too much effort for no real payoff. Just run it through Google, it's close enough.
>>
woooo this is awesome, thank youuuu sooo much, FAMICON/NES games are my favs so can play it is wonderful. thanks
>>
>>3542280
This should make it easier to comprehend.

健康な肉体に健全な精神だけど不自由な体には歪んだ心
Everyday 毎日
僕 ほんと 孤独
友達 Friend
Only ビデオだけ
アニメの世界 World 楽しいな
Little Girl
Everyone 可愛いな

だから 僕は 集める collector
だから 僕は ロリータ・コンプレックス
だから 僕は 追求する as a マニア
Me Love a Dead Body
ネクロフィリア

健康な肉体に健全な精神だけど不自由な体には歪んだ心

ロリコン雑誌は 読み飽きた
それなら 自分で 写真を撮ってやれ
ホラービデオじゃ も物足りない
それなら 自分で ビデオを撮ってやれ

だから 僕は 集める collector
だから 僕は ロリータ・コンプレックス
だから 僕は 追求する as a マニア
Me Love a Dead Body
ネクロフィリア

1人 2人 3人 誘った
4人 5人 6人 攫った
7人 8人 9人 殺した
10人めで 捕まった

僕の大事な ビデオテープ
MARIちゃん写した ビデオテープ
とっても大事に してたのに
警察に 没収されちゃった
どーしよう どーしよう

でんでんむしむし 蝸牛
幼女の痛いは 何処に有る
腕だせ 足だせ 頭だせ

緑の中を 走り抜けて行く
紺のラングレー
私一人旅なの
気侭に ハンドル切るわ

5歳の子が良い 5歳の子が良い
5歳の女の子が 一番良い
5歳の子がイイ 5歳の子が良い
5歳の女の子が 一番良い

脇毛は無いし 脇臭くないし
足臭くない 口臭くない
御肌スベスベ 皮膚病無い
御目々クリクリ 性格素直

5歳の子が良い 5歳の子が良い
5歳の女の子が 一番良い
5歳の子がイイ 5歳の子が良い
5歳の女の子が 一番良い
>>
Not out yet, but I'm working on a translation for the EVO precursor game on the PC-98 called 46 Okunen Monogatari The Shinkaron (E.V.O.: The Theory of Evolution).

We've made some pretty decent progress, I'm almost done with the main story dialog draft and reinsertion looks to be going well.
>>
>>3543874
Are there any good resources for PC-98 hacking, specifically for text insertion? I'm having trouble finding the pointers and the space for text in many games is pretty limited.
>>
File: tiptops.jpg (36KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
tiptops.jpg
36KB, 720x480px
>>3542327
>脇毛は無いし 脇臭くないし
plebeian as fuck
>>
>>3537758
>>Rival Turf! (English)(Fully Playable)(SNES)

that was in need in a translation?
>>
>>3543927
I don't think there's really many (if any) good resources available for a whole lot of reasons. Japanese only systems, not many other people hacking the games, weird compression schemes on a generally per game/company basis, etc.

That being said, I'm just the translator. The guy doing the hacking knows a lot more than I do and this is actually his first romhack. He's got a git up showing his progress with reinsertion and the like.

https://github.com/hollowaytape/shank-a-rom

The best option for a sort of resource is the Heroes of Legend forums. They focus on PC-98 and similar romhacking.

http://heroesoflegend.retro-type.com/forums/
>>
>>3543874
Damn now that's some fucking obscure stuff
Good luck man
>>
How much would I have to commission someone to translate an entire DS rom, probably? Not asking someone to do it, I'm just curious about how much work is involved, and how much money I'd need to give someone in a few years to translate the entire final Nintendo DS Chibi Robo game.
>>
>>3544363

Honestly, there's not very much text in [Okaeri] Chibi Robo to begin with. I'd say it's simply a matter of getting the text out for someone to translate. One of the main things stopping translators (at least in my case) is not having access to all of the text.
>>
>>3544427
>>3544363

https://gbatemp.net/threads/english-translation-for-okaeri-chibi-robo-happy-richie-%C5%8Cs%C5%8Dji.402028/page-5

Double checked online, but was this the game you were referring to?
>>
>>3538545
That artstyle looks familiar.
>>
>>3544429
holy shit, I didn't think that guy was serious. Apparently his autism is a perfect match for my own. I should've had more faith. Thanks for the link!
>>
I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the english translation patch for Rondo of Blood to work on Retroarch. I'm trying to use this release:

http://theisozone.com/downloads/retro/tg-16/akumajou-dracula-x---chi-no-rondo-100-complete-translation-isowavcue/

WinCDEmu can't mount the image so I can't convert to bin/cue, if it needs to be in that format.

How the fuck do I play this? Please help /vr/
>>
>>3537794
HER COMES AUTISMO-GUY!!!
>>
>>3546392
Just don't use retroarch?
Not sure why so many stick to that emulator bundle.
>>
>>3546430
Using Mednafen stand-alone produces the exact same results. The API has nothing to do with compatibility.
>>
>>3546392
Convert to bin/cue with imgburn
>>
>>3537789
I have a serious question, do you refuse to play a game that was translated from Japanese to English, official or fan translation? Or do you only play games from original source. I never understood people who get all offended by the existence of fan-translations, and I'm curious to see where you're coming from.
>>
File: 1456358094392.jpg (29KB, 599x335px) Image search: [Google]
1456358094392.jpg
29KB, 599x335px
>tfw you learn Japanese just so you can play your chinese sex games
>>
>>3546441
The correct answer is convert to bin/cue as >>3546684 says AND don't use retroarch. Retroarch is a convoluted pile of absolute garbage.
>>
>>3547197
Oh, I didn't know that. While browsing /emugen/ people have been recommending RA to me and apparently praised it a lot

Should've known it was just a meme
>>
>>3547187
Any translation, any language, most written media.
I'm somewhat alright with subtitled things since they keep the original language and can help learning it.

Official translations really aren't any better.
>>
>>3547824
Subtitles are translations, too
>>
>>3547852
But for spoken media.
>>
>>3547824
And how do you know your own translation is more accurate? I can't believe this level of autism
>>
policenauts for the sega saturn was translated
>>
>>3547916
O_O LINK
>>
>>3547904
>your own translation
I don't translate. You don't need to to see how poor translations are.
>>
>>3547929
Well, you're translating whatever language in your head though when reading, so how do you know it's not your translation which is poor?
>>
>>3547930
>>Well, you're translating whatever language in your head though when reading,
Look everyone, a monolingual.
>>
>>3547932
Well, can't help growing up with just one language and learning every other one on my own
>>
>>3547940
You haven't learnt any other languages if you're translating it in your head.

You might have had some kind of point if you said "comprehension" instead of translation, but even then, I'd take my perceived meaning of words over someone else's.

Translations are like playing Chinese whispers. If you're first in line, you can still mishear something, but at least you're getting the real message and any misunderstandings are your own. When you're second in line, not only can you mishear the first guy, but you're getting the compounded effect of anything he misheard too. You're doubling the errors at best.
>>
>>3547756
Retroarch is good, don't listen to him.
Some people don't like it because of the UI
>>
File: policenauts.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
policenauts.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>3547916
Thanks didn't catch that
>>3547928
http://policenauts.net/english/patches.html
http://forums.junkerhq.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3232
>>
>>3547946
Sorry, I can't worded that wrong there, translation isn't the correct word for it. Kind of hard to describe, it's not translating the sentence per se in my mind but more like my head automatically converts it to something I understand, unlike in a language I have learned basically nothing (like French) where I look at a sentence and don't understand anything but one or two words maybe
>>
>>3543874
Oh shit, that's one of those holy grail games I never thought would get translated. We believe in you anon!!
>>
>>3547946
There are also added problems from words and phrases not translating well, differing ambiguities and technical limitations.
>>
>>3547961
You can take something as basic as a pun involving くも meaning cloud or spider and that's already untranslatable. This is true for basically 95% of puns, which cover about 70-80% of the jokes in any comedy. Add in differing politeness levels, a dozen words that all mean "you" but with widely different implications, the clusterfuck that are names in general, when it comes to suffixes, first and last name usage, explanations of how a name is written in kanji, it's a mess.

And all of this is just the surface level that you'll find in literally any work.
>>
>>3547958
>>3544341

We're pretty far along with it so it won't get abandoned or anything now. I've translated all of the dialogue in the game as well as the ingame creature encyclopedia. Only thing left is the game over stories for when you evolve incorrectly which is like a fifth of the total strings to translate.

On the reinsertion side, and this I'm not 100℅ sure on since I'm only the translator, we're honestly doing pretty well. The current goal is to possibly expand the size of each of the files to permit the script to go over the current size limitations. If that fails we'll just edit the script down here and there to make it all fit.

Our current progress is without any typesetting or editing/proofing of the text, but it's going well as far as I can tell.
>>
>>3539883
>French
>awful

anglofag can't handle consistent spelling & pronunciation with decent grammar and sexy accents.
>>
I wish someone would translate Super Famicom Wars
>>
File: 136062512022.jpg (75KB, 461x523px) Image search: [Google]
136062512022.jpg
75KB, 461x523px
Princess crown, when?
>>
While we're at it, why don't the Tengai Makyou games get any love?
>>
>>3549737
Because they're way too Japanese for you.
>>
>>3549360
>being French
Buddy, you don't have the mental capacity to judge language. Enjoy that toxoplasmosis.
>>
File: 2745screenshot4.png (5KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
2745screenshot4.png
5KB, 256x224px
My ninjas, stop everything, this is huge news

The highly anticipated cult classic "Family Circuit" for the Famicom has just been translated

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2745/
>>
>>3549932
>My ninjas, stop everything
What do you expect me to do, DDoS the site?
>>
File: 1382081812829.jpg (98KB, 510x504px) Image search: [Google]
1382081812829.jpg
98KB, 510x504px
>>3549935
SHUT IT ALL DOWN
>>
>>3539883
>The French ones are because the French are insanely elitist about their awful language, and basically demand everything in French even if they know perfect English.

Oh no, you have no idea. French people simply are awful at English. You have to understand that EVERYTHING is dubbed, translated, just everything, so there is no English friendly area to grow up in.

Then, in school, when they start to learn it, they are taught a very formal language that noone speaks, and they're being taught wrong pronounciation.

When French pronounce "the" as "ze", it's because they were TAUGHT that way since the beginning up to highscool, and only those who actually learn English at the University at taught the real pronounciations.

There has been progress: nowadays more and more TV channels and cinemas offer the possibility to watch movies in their original language for instance, but it's still a minority of people who can decently speak the language.
>>
>>3549718
With the release of the Policenauts saturn translation maybe we're one step closer for people starting to figure out the saturn better and how to hack the games.
>>
>>3549943
It's not that they're awful, it's that there's a concerted effort to avoid English, because of the fear of the French language just being wiped out in a generation. There's no possible reason to use French, so they have to invent reasons. It's very easy for French people to learn English and English people to learn French.
>>
>>3549998
> it's that there's a concerted effort to avoid English, because of the fear of the French language just being wiped out in a generation.

No, those are a minority. It's true that some of them have places of power, like part of the government or the TV censor institution, but no matter what they do you can't it has little impact. There is a law that forces radio stations to have at least 40% of the songs they play be in French, but that doesn't prevent succesful music in English for instance.

> It's very easy for French people to learn English
It's not that easy because there are phonic syllables in English which don't exist in French, like the two "th" for instead (like in 'that' and 'truth', neither exist in French), and it's not easy to learn that because in school they're not being taught that those syllables even exist.
>>
>>3537758

More translation of nes/snes jrpgs? Yawn.

They need to start working on Saturn, PCE, Playstation, PS2 and NGC games. Those are the ones that matter.
>>
>>3550113
>They need to start working on Saturn
Maybe reading the thread should be a smart move
>>
>>3550113
They translate those games because they don't contain Kanji. The "translators" don't know more than the most basic Japanese.
Disc games are way beyond them.
>>
>>3550117
I imagine the reason people like it is just Kojima, and not really being exposed to most of the Japanese point and clicks from that time period. Combine that with an easy to swallow plot based on 80s action movies everyone loves, and it's not hard to see the appeal.
>>
>>3550136
That's only a small part of the problem. The real problem is hacking and inserting the text since the games started using vastly different technologies across different companies and encryption methods. The guy who hacked the ps1 policenauts was talking about how it was completely different from a lot of scenes and it just felt like it was different programmers handling things differently. And keep in mind this is just in a single game and it already changes its behavior constantly.
The script for policenauts has been fully translated like a decade ago and only a few days ago they actually managed to release the saturn patch, which was what they were originally aiming for.
>>
File: delicious pasta.jpg (25KB, 430x300px) Image search: [Google]
delicious pasta.jpg
25KB, 430x300px
>>3550117
>>
Is there no Japanese PC general on this board anymore?
>>
>>3550241
Just make a thread if you want to discuss a game or platform. No need to lump everything together and drag it on forever.
>>
>>3550136
Is the translation scene for these games really that abysmal?
>>
>>3550254
Fan translations in general.
There's also machine translations galore.
>>
>>3550254
It's impossible to squeeze together a team for a fucking 名作 title like Mizzurna Falls or Moon on the PS1, and you think the 2 bit retro RPGs for the NES or PC98 are going to attract high quality translators and editors?

It's not so much an inability to handle kanji, as it is an inability to handle text insertion on anything more complex than a modern toaster. Were the source code of these games available, we'd see a lot more PS1 translations coming out.
>>
File: shh tina is sleeping.gif (19KB, 480x264px) Image search: [Google]
shh tina is sleeping.gif
19KB, 480x264px
>>3550254
Nobody ever plays both original script and translated one and then compare them line by line. So even if it's true that it's abysmal, more often than not someone who's saying it is just talking out of their ass.

Even if it's a bad translation it's not going to be so terrible that the story somehow becomes incomprehensible. Even with machine translation you can kind of get the gist of a story even if it's fucking up some of the details or puns. Just embrace that translations are inherently flawed or learn moon, but don't let yourself become so autistic that somehow it's going to impede from you having fun.
>>
Guy working on 46 Okunen Monogatari The Shinkaron here. I'm basically going to exclusively translate PC-88 and PC-98 games if at all possible.

My main issue is like this anon said:
>>3550341 it is an inability to handle text insertion

I can't do reinsertion because I suck at coding. Otherwise I'd be doing romhacks on my own for these old games.

I'm not sure what the guy I'm working with thinks of continuing to work together on romhacks, but if he does I'm going to float the idea of picking up Libros de Chilam Balam (PC-98) next.
>>
>>3550450
Not whole games but I've compared intros and other easily accessible stuff.
>Even if it's a bad translation it's not going to be so terrible that the story somehow becomes incomprehensible.
That only happens when the team has no English skills. What's more likely to happen is that the script is altered to make some sense even if it is no longer based on the original text. In bad cases it ends up as the opposite meaning because a negation was lost along the way.
>>
>>3550510
you're the man
>>
>>3550136
Good god, faggots like you make me want to not learn Japanese.
>>
>>3550604
That's your decision. Just don't get involved with translations.
>>
>>3549718
>>3549946
Wouldn't it be easier to hack the PSP version?
>>
>>3550705
There's no PSP version, that's just the PS1 version.
>>
>>3550705
>>3550713
Oh you're talking about Princess Crown
Disregard what I said I suck cocks
>>
>>3549946
>>3550705
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=15979.0
the saturn version translation is already pretty far along, and the psp version is kinda shit.
>>
>>3550341
mizzurna falls is already in progress and fairly far along too, anon
>>
I'm thinking of picking up an SNES game or something to translate. Do I have to find someone who is interested in the game, or do I have to learn how to hack myself? Competent people seem sparse. Look at how many scripts have been sitting around for years.
>>
>>3550873
decent translators are unfortunately in much greater supply than decent hackers. personally i'd like to work on hanjuku hero.
>>
>>3549946
The problem is that nobody gives a shit. There are a couple of games that I looked into, and all of them would be fairly simple to do if you know what you are doing - Madou Monogatari needs a way to bypass its custom data compressor (either a way to load uncompressed files, or to write a compressor - note that a decompressor exists), and Castlevania just needs the string tables reordered in a way that is 1. automatic (too much text to handle it manually), and so it still fits in memory (the English script is longer).
>>
>>3550934
Is memory still really a problem in those systems?
I'd imagine any spare ram could handle all the text it needs.
>>
>>3550940
The Saturn has a really fucked up architecture that everyone hates though.

And it still has to fit within a CD-ROM.
>>
>>3550943
If push comes to shove you can just trim 1 song and frees out a lot of space in the cd-rom

They're rarely filled to the brim though, I think there's always space for text
>>
>>3550940
>I'd imagine any spare ram could handle all the text it needs.

You don't have spare ram in a console, and games tend to use as much of it as they can.

Well technically you have RAM expansion on the Saturn but then you have to add in copying memory to-from the ram cart, and lose the ability to save to the cart. Too much work for a ghetto translation.

>>3550943
>The Saturn has a really fucked up architecture that everyone hates though.

We are talking about replacing text. Most of the work comes from finding where the script is, in what format, and how to most efficiently replace it. Many games already include half-width latin fonts in them too - the ones I mentioned do, anyway.
Though I understand that adding that would be a headache for games that don't have it.

>And it still has to fit within a CD-ROM.

We are talking about maybe 50k for a script which replaces the original one... making it fit in a cd-rom is not an issue.
>>
>>3550974
>Many games already include half-width latin fonts in them too
That's still not all of them.

What if you have to replace whole assembly routines?
>>
>>3550980
>That's still not all of them.

There are still some games out there that would benefit from translation, some even with complete scripts (like Castlevania or Grandia), but no one gives a shit about translating them.

Simply enough if you like Saturn games then you probably already know enough moon runes so you can get through even Japanese-only RPGs, even if you miss out on most of the story.
>>
>>3539869
You have no clue how many spics love Mazinger and Getter that shit up /m/.
>>
>>3550990
What's the point in translating the Saturn SOTN if it's such a retarded port anyway.
Sure it adds some extra features but on a technical level it's such a blatant inferior port
>>
>>3549737
Someone in an old thread said Apocalypse IV on PSP was in the editing stage but there was no source for it.
>>
>tfw I want to dive further into the Japanese PS1 library but I essentially need to learn Japanese in order to do so
>can only understand Katakana
>am too much of a retard to set up Anki

Someday, machine translation will be perfect. Much like what companies like AT&T thought the future was going to be like in our current age...
>>
>>3551652
>am too much of a retard to set up Anki
How can you fuck that up?

>machine translation will be perfect.
They'll never be perfect. They might get as good as the best human but that's far from perfect.
Your best bet are brain enhancements.
>>
>>3551661
What Japanese deck do I install to ensure that I could learn somewhat of a basis to learn it? Because there are a fuck ton from what I can see and I don't know which one to get in this case.
>>
>>3551652
>Someday, machine translation will be perfect.
Will literally never happen. Honestly, you're better off holding out hope for a magical pill that costs 20 grand and gives you 20 years of memories pulled out of some Nip's head for insta-fluency.

>>3551661
Anki is a fucking mess, honestly. If it wasn't written by retarded programmers, I could very easily see it being used by most people on Earth to cram dumb school facts into their head, but because every option is hidden away under incomprehensible names, it's total ass to use.

>>3551664
Just do what everyone does, go through core 2k/6k while reading a grammar guide on the side, then mine all your new words from whatever you're reading whenever you feel ready.
>>
>>3551664
They should all contain the most common words and serve as a basis for you to expand.
/a/ recommends this deck. It comes with sound so it might be useful if you need hints on pronouncing Japanese.
https://mega.nz/#!QIQywAAZ!g6wRM6KvDVmLxq7X5xLrvaw7HZGyYULUkT_YDtQdgfU
>>
>>3551671
>>3551670

Thank you kind sir
>>
So, how long does it take to learn enough japanese to be able to play japanese games with a dictionary or something?

I'd have some real-life people that would help me.
>>
>>3552140
That depends on how often you want to resort to the dictionary. You can start immediately and look up every word, learn basic vocabulary for a month and look up every second word, learn another month and look up every third word and so on.
There are diminishing returns to pre-learning so don't delay playing games for too long. Start with something simple like Sufami RPGs, wait until you delve into wall of text adventures for adults.
>>
>The Little Mermaid (Spanish)(Fully Playable)(NES)

Is this the one by capcom?
>>
File: snap007.png (105KB, 480x272px) Image search: [Google]
snap007.png
105KB, 480x272px
>>3550705
It probably would but it's a pretty bad port work. It's the one I played and beat myself.

Would kill for a Vita port.
>>
>>3552149
Are the first gen Pokémon games good for learning as well?
>>
>>3552289
No. They don't have kanji so they won't help with learning proper Japanese and are annoying to read as well.
For that reason you should avoid games with low capacity ROM cassettes and IC cards such as for Famicom, Mega Drive, Wonderswan, PC-Engine, Mark 3, Gameboy or Gamegear. CDs and larger ROM cassettes are normally fine
On computers this depended on optional kanji ROMs which took to the mid/late 80s to get fully supported
>>
>>3552270
Curious, what's bad about the port?
>>
Is there another translation request list? I think I only aaw that Wiki list in GBATemp or RomHacking. Feels so disorganized.
>>
>>3537768
Awesome!
>>
File: giten.png (332KB, 770x440px) Image search: [Google]
giten.png
332KB, 770x440px
So if a game already has what looks like half-width roman font, would hacking it be easier or something?
>>
>>3552721
really all that means is that you don't have to fuck with making your own font. so yes but also not by much.
>>
>>3552456
you can either have shitty letterboxing or shitty incorrect aspect ratio scaling. there's no other option.

>>3552149
>you delve into wall of text adventures for adults.
that makes me want to play the saturn version of zork

>>3552289
look for stuff with furigana
>>
File: snap176.png (175KB, 480x272px) Image search: [Google]
snap176.png
175KB, 480x272px
>>3552456
No proper widescreeen mode, and scaling looks terrible.
>>
>>3552764
>look for stuff with furigana
Is there a list of retro games with furigana? There can't be many.
>>
>>3553260

There really aren't for /vr/, but some modern JP 3ds games come with the feature.

For what it's worth, I only translated stuff like song lyrics before moving onto a games, and my first translations for them are relatively poor compared to what I do now. Even if you read and study, you're never really going to know what it's like until you dive right into it. Visual Novels typically use formal writing for exposition which is why people can jump into them relatively quickly. NPC characters that go on random tangents and throw out whatever jokes and unrelated bullshit out of context really put hair on your chest.

Go play an RPG that's typically aimed at kids first. Even Shonen Jump stuff like Shaman King where you're already familiar with a lot of the objects/terminology really helps too.

It's not /vr/ but there's a fantastic Dr. Slump game for the NDS that encompasses a lot of what I'm talking about.
>>
>>3553338

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riZ-WeTluUc
I forgot about the PSX one(I've thought about translating it myself in the past but I've got other shit to worry about first). they use hiragana but highlight keywords so you don't mix them up with anything, if you might find that helpful. It's more dialogue heavy though.
>>
>>3553260
I imagine there might be a couple that have almost no text, but no, you won't really find anything with furigana on anything PS1 or below.

The issue is simply one of resolution. It's already hard enough to get Japanese text onto a 240p display and have it be legible, the idea of shrinking it to a third of the size and putting it above a kanji is laughable through RF and composite. Games go from full kana to kanji, it's only really in the PS2 era and beyond that a few children's games started including furigana, because LCD displays became common-place and there was no more bleed.

The few exceptions you'll find are for invented terms and such, Kojima used furigana in most of his games, things like the Soliton radar have them. Policenauts has them too, but Snatcher uses brackets instead, at least on the versions I can see online.

Honestly, furigana are a brief crutch. They might be acceptable when you're a 5 year old, but there isn't much point to them past that. Read some manga if you want them, but learn kanji as soon as possible if you don't want to be a gibbering retard.
>>
>>3553361
I find furigana useful to learn the correct reading of a word out of several alternative ones. Occasionally you even have to deal with different meanings depending on the reading.
Don't think of them as a way to avoid learning kanji but as an aid in learning them.
The main alternative for retro games is voice acting.
>>
>>3553370

Pretty much this.

Still, there are some series like Tengai Makyou that absolutely capitalize on the player knowing multiple readings of a particular kanji to get a joke. (i.e. 馬鹿 vs. 馬鹿の術 vs. 鹿野城跡). On another note, if you're going to play a game taking place in ancient Japan(or just JRPGs in general), get a book or something to read up on the lore. I happened to be taking an Ancient Japanese Art course in uni and playing Okami simultaneously and it really enhanced the experience and actually allowed me to understand where the references stemmed from.

Actively studying kanji allows you to process stuff faster so you can enjoy the game better. It's not something you should worry about when playing your first platformer or two, and if you're an avid notetaker, you should be alright. Just know that a lot of jokes and subtle cues are going to go over your head and you're not going to get the same experience playing the game in Japanese as you would in English, and that has massive pros and cons on both sides.
>>
File: 1019947-goemon_2_mouse.png (19KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
1019947-goemon_2_mouse.png
19KB, 256x224px
Welp, guess it's that time of the year again.

Won't Goemon 2, 3 and 4 on the SNES ever get translated?
>>
File: Musashi no Bouken (J) [!]-19.png (6KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Musashi no Bouken (J) [!]-19.png
6KB, 256x224px
Well this was unexpected

http://www.romhacking.net/news/1790/
http://aishsha.blogspot.pt/2016/10/musashi-comes-forth-well-junior.html

The Adventures of Musashi Jr was re-translated
>>
>>3553387

Shit, how many Goemon games even are there? I only thought there were two. I guess it's a good question on why they haven't. I thought the games had pretty strong demand/fanbase, so maybe they're just tough nuts to crack or there's a fuckton of text no one's really explained.
>>
>>3553387
arent they easy enough to play without translation?
>>
>>3549946
don't forget dragon force 2 translation as well.

pretty remarkable no one has done princess crown yet
>>
>>3554739

Princess Crown has been in progress over on Romhacking for ages now, and they're really good about keeping people updated in their thread. They have a good team on it from what I've read about them and their track records.

The one I'm surprised about is how someone hasn't tackled Wachenroder, but I guess when you take a translation online and try to reinsert it(on top of that being a huge battle in and of itself), not knowing what text goes where and gets swapped with what else...
>>
>>3544546
Looks like the artist who did Vampire Hunter D and Violence Jack to me.
>>
>>3547946
>If you're first in line, you can still mishear something, but at least you're getting the real message and any misunderstandings are your own

You are assuming that the original text is inherently best in all cases.
>>
>>3549783
>Judging a language

Also,
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/neuroskeptic/2016/02/20/myth-mind-altering-parasite-toxoplasma-gondii/
>>
>>3537758
Because Japanese has like 50000 words in its vocabulary, which also have multiple meanings.

Fuck that.
>>
>>3547195
You should have chosen a picture of Bill Clinton for that post.
>>
>>3554734

Mostly, I guess, but wasn't there some "puzzle" elements, like choosing a sequence of doors in some stage based on hints characters give you, or some item you need to purchase to proceed?

Anyway, the thing is, the story adds a lot of personality to these games, and they're very funny, so you miss a lot playing them untranslated.
>>
>>3554716

4 on the SNES/SFC, with only the first one being released in the US, renamed to "The Legend of the Mystical Ninja".

I don't know what's special about them that kept them unstranslated so far.

And it's such a high quality series of action-adventure games in all aspects, graphics, soundtrack, creativity, controls... damn.
>>
Esperanto only peasants lose again
>>
>>3555367
from what ive heard, the snes goemon games are difficult to hack in translations for.
there was a vid on youtube showing it can be done, but its just finding the right people now i guess.
>>
>>3554856
>You are assuming that the original text is inherently best in all cases.
It's best in the vast majority of cases. There are an absolutely minuscule number of works where I consider the translation work to be better than the original, let's use the first MGS as an example. Kojima isn't a great writer, and the changes are pretty much all for the better. But if I had to choose between "all games in English" or "all games in Japanese", I'd pick Jap every time, it's just more reliable by orders of magnitude.

On the plus side, I know both languages, so it's pretty trivial to switch.

>>3554859
French is an ugly garbage language.

>>3554873
And yet you're typing English. How on Earth did you manage that?
>>
>>3554873
It's a lot more than that and that applies to any real language.
For some reason however games for young children don't use complex medical terms.
>>
>>3555413
>French is an ugly garbage language.
Well better stop using half the words in the english vocabulary then.
>>
>>3555430
>I don't understand how languages evolve
Those are English words, dude. They're pronounced a different way.

There are maybe 500 words, tops, that are still pronounced vaguely similar to their French equivalent.

I think Chinese is a disgusting language too, but I don't flip out about jukugo.
>>
>>3555413
Because English only goes from A to Z while Japanese goes from A to ∞
>>
>>3555696
No. Japanese goes from あ to を.
>>
File: 46-Okunen-Title-Screen-revised.png (1003KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
46-Okunen-Title-Screen-revised.png
1003KB, 640x400px
Things are looking good on the EVO translation front, for those interested.
>>
>>3556259
Gives us some GIFs fuckboi
>>
>>3556265
Can't yet. I only really have access to the script at the moment.
>>
File: 1456937475282.jpg (15KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
1456937475282.jpg
15KB, 267x200px
>>3542327
jesus fuck dude
>>
if... when
>>
>>3554713
I could have sworn it was already retranslated, but neat either way.
>>
>>3556287
What a tease
>>
>>3542327
ファッキュー ファゴット
>>
>>3554850
...Those were not done by the same artist.
>>
File: newsimage1791a.png (12KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
newsimage1791a.png
12KB, 256x224px
>Another BS Zelda Game Gets an English Dub Restoration

http://www.romhacking.net/news/1791/
http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/bszelda.shtml
>>
>>3560928
>restoration
>cancer dubbing
I don't think these people understand what restoration means.
>>
>>3561664
It's not like they have much choice either
It's either that or nothing
>>
I want this game to be translated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPcjBW0XZcc
>>
>>3561728
Go to >>3557116. This thread is not for you.
>>
File: cat.gif (2MB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
cat.gif
2MB, 400x400px
>>3561751
>thread about translations
>This thread is not for you
Don't be a silly willy and start fracturing the thread on what people should or not talk about here
>>
>>3561820
This thread is for released things, not for wishful thinking. Particularly when a thread for wishful thinking also exists.
>>
>>3561824
It's a thread about translations, all translation talk is allowed. Again, don't try to fracture and police the thread, let Anons talk.
>>
>>3561825
Translations that actually exist. Posting about things you want to get translated is waste and doesn't help you get them translated one bit.
>>
>>3544546
IIRC it was all done by the Langrisser team.
>>
>>3539869
Because no matter how bad English translation can get cocked up, other translations were even worse. You had cases of the translator outright making up shit or party being translated as fiesta.
>>
Not trying to shit up the thread but I have no friends. Just finished the first draft of the script for E.V.O.: The Theory of Evolution (46 Okunen Monogatari The Shinkaron). I'll try to bother my romhacker for a patch to get you guys some preview gifs this coming week or next most likely.
>>
File: sweet dithered tiddies.gif (17KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
sweet dithered tiddies.gif
17KB, 640x400px
>>3562424
Aw hell yuh
Keep us posted
>>
>>3562660
Can you patch the game so that it gets 400 lines?
>>
http://www.romhacking.net/news/1793/

This thread has been up for so long that the romhacking bot shat out a new update
>>
I'm thinking of adding a "Notable translations in 2016" section in the next thread's OP

>Policenauts (SAT)
>Musashi no Bouken (NES)
>Vixen 357 (GEN)
>Belloncho Body Inspection (PC98)
>Reserve 1/2 (PC98)
>Reserve (PC98)
>Star Cruiser (GEN)
>Wizardry Gaiden IV (SNES)
>Shadow Brain (NES)
>Kishin Douji Zenki: Battle Raiden (SNES)

How does this sound, missing anything? I get the feeling it's already too long to fit in the OP, but 10 sounds like a round number.
>>
>>3564017
Telefang has finally been translated!?
>>
>>3564621
Has someone already made fully patched ISO/BIN/CUE for Policenauts to download?
Hoping Hyper Iria (SNES), and some others would also be translated. Especially the Ganbare Goemon and Super Bomberman titles for the SNES/Super Famicom.
>>
>>3564707
>Has someone already made fully patched ISO/BIN/CUE for Policenauts to download?
See >>3549972

>Hoping Hyper Iria (SNES)
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2665/
>>
>>3564712
Noice.
>>
>>3556259
Saw in the romhacking forums you guys were rebuilding that title screen
I redid it with the logo they use in the SNES game
>>
>>3564848

perfect
>>
File: EVO THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION.png (21KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
EVO THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION.png
21KB, 640x400px
>>3564848
Without scanlines
>>
>>3564856
Just the logo

>>3564853
Thanks
>>
>>3564856
>>3564848
Looks fucking good man. Just forwarded it to the team.
>>
>>3564873
Ah shit I somehow fucked up the top right part of the "O" in EVO
Reuploadan
>>
File: EVO THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION.png (30KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
EVO THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION.png
30KB, 640x400px
>>3564880
>>
>>3564884
>>
>>3564887
v2
>>
>>3564017
Which happens rarerly.

>>3564621
>missing Hyper Iria
>>
>>3564962
I was under the impression that the text in hyper iria was very superfluous and you can easily play the game without a translation
>>
>>3564967
I'm glad it did get a Fan Translation anyway. I remembered the characters were designed by the dude who was the author for Video Girl AI and DNA2.
>>
>>3565032
Well I'm not bashing or anything, seems like a really fun game. Just saying it probably doesn't warrant a mention as a notable translation project. But then again I don't really know and I was kind of asking if it the translation is really essential to the game.
>>
>>3565040
Dunno yet. From what I remember after emulating it for well over 15 years, I'd have liked to have known what the hell what was going on. I haven't played it for about 2 years though.
>>
>>3565047
Well I guess in its own way, the fact that you could play the game without knowing moonrunes kind of answers the question
>>
>>3565053
Not past the fourth or fifth level. Well, the story.
>>
>>3565060
I guess I'll replace Kishin Douji Zenki with Hyper iria from the list since they're kind of in the same criteria
>>
>>3564967
>>3565064
KDZ is easy to play without translation, Hyper Iria less. You need to explore and you get hints, but without knowing Japanese they ain't worth much.
>>
>>3564910
We'll probably end up combining your edits with some of the original color blending we had in the other title screen we were considering. Thanks for contributing these!

Any name you'd like to be listed in the credits as or just as an anonymous contributor?
>>
>>3565132
You can credit me as kyn but you don't really need to, I'm fine going uncredited, Anonymous, or either way. Just really did it for fun.

Good luck with the project, if you guys keep posting in these threads I'll be sure to keep following and possibly helping out if you need any graphical thingamajigs
>>
Any fan translations for the FDS Castlevania games?
>>
>>3565218
What the dicks is there to translate?
>>
File: The Thelodus Seas.webm (3MB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
The Thelodus Seas.webm
3MB, 640x400px
Well, here's the first ~30 seconds ingame of E.V.O.: The Theory of Evolution (46 Okunen Monogatari: THE Shinkaron).

I know I said it'd probably be a couple of weeks from now but a few days after I finished the script draft the other guy I'm working with on this sent me a very early build to help with checking translations/flow/English/whatever.

Any and all English here might change, but it's still pretty neat seeing it in the game itself.
>>
>>3567628
Beautiful
>>
File: P154Uic[1].jpg (65KB, 499x316px) Image search: [Google]
P154Uic[1].jpg
65KB, 499x316px
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE FULLY TRANSLATE SWORDCRAFT STORY 3 I WILL LITERALLY FUND IT
>>
>>3567890
Why don't you spend the thousands of dollars on a personal tutor or something.
>>
>>3567903
Because my time is more valuable than my money. And I have a lot of money.
>>
>>3567890
I thought there was a translation but its the hardspacing on all of the text makes it balls hars to fix the text in without a beast of an asm hack. That was like a year or two agonthat I remember reading that. Check romhacking and the forums to see if it has been touched again
>>
>>3567906
Pay someone to do it then.
>>
>>3567628
Why the scanlines?
>>
>>3568447
Just running it in default NP2 without any real settings changes. Also I like them. I'll try to get some footage without for the next WebM, though. I don't like showing too much of the unrevised translated text from the game, so it might be a bit before I have another good one to show off.
>>
>>3568454
At least you don't use any filters.
>>
>>3568454
Wait so the games isn't always scanlined like that?
All the screenshots I found of the game were with scanlines
I always assumed the game just had built-in scanlines
>>
File: Cladoselache Hideout.webm (3MB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
Cladoselache Hideout.webm
3MB, 640x400px
>>3568464
>>3568460
Another small bit of dialog from the game, this time without scanlines. Recorded in Anex86, this time.
>>
File: 1446124068043.jpg (23KB, 332x322px) Image search: [Google]
1446124068043.jpg
23KB, 332x322px
>>3540557
>>Five years old girls are the best

well he's not wrong
>>
>>3568464
It's a mode on the PC98 with 640x200 pixels for graphics but full resolution for text.
NP2 has an option named skipline revision where you can scale between black lines and doubled lines.
>>
>>3568567

What game/system is this?
>>
>>3568941
46 Okunen Monogatari The Shinkaron. It's the spiritual predecessor to E.V.O.: The Search for Eden (SNES) released on the NEC PC-9800 system which was mostly just Japanese exclusives. The translated title is E.V.O.: The Theory of Evolution.
>>
File: giphy[2].gif (59KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
giphy[2].gif
59KB, 500x500px
>>3568432
>"CAN SOMEONE PLEASE FULLY TRANSLATE SWORDCRAFT STORY 3 I WILL LITERALLY FUND IT"

>"Pay someone to do it then."
>>
>>3567890
I googled Swordcraft Story 3.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,19878.0.html

Literally the first hit. Do I get a finders fee? Or maybe throw money at those people.
>>
>>3537758
>Why don't you just learn moon already
Kanji is too much for me to learn. But I want to start doing it some day, since that way I'll be able to combine hacking skills with translation skills and make translation patches without anybody's help.
>>
File: segagaga.jpg (105KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
segagaga.jpg
105KB, 1080x1080px
>never ever
;_;
>>
>>3570821
I'm the exact opposite. I need to get better at programming and hacking so I can translate and release stuff on my own.
>>
>>3555726
For famicom games, sure. If it's something with kanji (so, most things that aren't famicom games or children's books) it goes from あ to を but also, at the very least, from 亜 to 湾 with ~2000 in between.
>>
>>3570827
More like "one day" to me anon.
>>
>>3570857
That's just scaremongering.
You can reduce the Kanjis to a few dozen radicals.
>>
>>3570906
Yes, but the construction of the kanji tells you its on'yomi perhaps half the time, and its kun'yomi zero percent of the time. The letters in an English word tell you its pronunciation about 85 percent of the time if you know the rules, see here:
http://www.zompist.com/spell.html
(And in most alphabetically written languages the letters tell you the pronunciation 100% of the time.)
>>
i dream of hacking PS1 games some day

how good is the debugger in mednafen anyway? are the savestates compressed?
>>
>>3570954
Do you want to know where you can look up a word in a dictionary or sing 空桶?
>>
File: .gif (1003KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
.gif
1003KB, 320x224px
Has nobody ever bothered to patch MGS1 with the Japanese voice acting?
I was always curious to check it out
>>
>>3572090
They altered text lengths and tons of other little things, and the dub work is generally superior thanks to all the fun little accents and things that make it a walking B-movie. Stuff like "Five five sixers and pineapples" was completely fabricated, for instance, and all of Mei lings proverb stuff is her explaining the meaning of Chinese proverbs that were brought over to Japan.

You really wouldn't get a lot out of it, and it'd be a lot of work for a wannabe rom hacker. Seems pointless, the only way I could see it happening is if some nerd completely retranslated the game to make it more "accurate".
>>
>>3572098
>the only way I could see it happening is if some nerd completely retranslated the game to make it more "accurate".

DO IT
O

I
T
>>
>>3572139
You seriously don't want that. The localisation work on MGS is one of the few times I've seen something surpass the original. Not only would someone be wasting a lot of time, they'd be doing it for no reason and everyone would shit on them.
>>
>>3572140
If anything we'd have more material to shitpost about , which is always a plus
>>
File: treasure[1].jpg (64KB, 500x267px) Image search: [Google]
treasure[1].jpg
64KB, 500x267px
For those that actually can understand japanese: Are we plebeians missing any hidden gem?
>>
>>3572350
Whether it's translated games or untranslated games, you're missing out on everything.
>>
I want to play Chrono Trigger.
Do I play the normal SNES USA version, or some fan-edit?
>>
>>3572380
Thank you retard.
>>
>>3572098
this

they even changed some facial expressions during some codec scenes

i think liquid has an angry face that's only used in the japanese version
>>
>>3572350
Considering the shitload of Japanese computer games that never made it to the west just statistically alone there's bound to be a lot of them
And then there's a lot of gems in the saturn and ps1 jap library
>>
File: newsimage1795a.png (6KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
newsimage1795a.png
6KB, 256x224px
2 more translations

Lunatic Dawn: Passage of the Book
http://www.romhacking.net/news/1797/

Delinquent Girl Detective III
http://www.romhacking.net/news/1795/
>>
>>3572350
>hidden
No. But you're missing out on a fuckload of good stuff that everyone else knows about.
>>
>>3570775
It's just the demo everyone already knows about you pompous prick. It's mostly just item and menu translations, barely any scripts

>"CAN SOMEONE PLEASE FULLY TRANSLATE"
>>
>>3574593
So send them money to work on it more? I'm sure with all of your money behind them they'd be more willing to finish it off.
>>
>>3574593
That's hardly an appropriate response to a pretty mild one
>>
>>3574593
>>3567890
I don't know how long Swordcraft Story 3, but it'd probably be around $5,000-$10,000 at a low freelancer rate judging by the short average sentence length and the fact it's an RPG. That's what I'd do it for (t. freelancer).
>>
>>3567890
>>3574593
You know what you need to do? Find a Japanese text dump and feed it into *several different* automatic translators, then compare them. That's what I always do if I'm seriously endeavoring to find the meaning of a text in a language I don't speak.
>>
>>3576813
Yeah, because what everyone wants to do while playing a long RPG is to pause every line of text to try and parse machine garbage
>>
>>3576819
Hey, it's free, and it's a lot better than nothing.
>>
>>3576829
>it's a lot better than nothing.
What if you decide to get off your ass in a few years and start learning the language? Then you've ruined a bunch of games for yourself.

Maybe if you wait 50 years, MT will be good instead.
>>
>>3576841
I know, but the person who I was responding to didn't seem to be very interested in learning Japanese.
>>3567906
>>
File: newsimage1798b.png (4KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
newsimage1798b.png
4KB, 256x224px
Igo: Kyuu Roban Taikyoku now in English!

http://www.romhacking.net/news/1798/

IT FINALLY HAPPENED
>>
>>3576819
Since there's no translation and the only language you know is muh rucan it's your best option sport.

>>3576841
What if you decide to take advantage of having a translation of a Japanese game you want to play to learn Japanese? I started learning Japanese by looking up words one by one in a dictionary. If I'd had a script with the original text, romanization, and literal translation word by word it would have gone much much faster.
>>
>>3579190
>romanization
This makes me question whether you learned Japanese at all.

A translation word by word doesn't help much. You'd just attempt to puzzle sense into it and ignore things like grammar.
What you're describing already exists under the name Translation Aggregator. It works for adventure games on Windows and some other things. You can try it for yourself but I find it more a distraction than a help.

You're not going to learn Japanese by copying translations, especially not machine translations.
>>
>>3570827
>>3570865

I asked the translator on twitter if he was still working on it and he said they would start back up on it in a few months... we'll see.
>>
>>3579298
Of course it makes an weeb who learned weeb from animu and has no formal language training question. That's one of the reasons I used the correct term instead of the weeb term. As bait to flush out dumb weebs. And you, sport, have been flushed

A word by word translation doesn't just help but is absolutely necessary to learn a language. You can learn a few weeb words and phrases by just memorizing sounds but that's not learning a language. There's a reason children are taught word by word instead of phrases from a tourist guide. Because their objective is to learn the language, not impress people at a cosplay convention.

Translation Aggregator is not what I'm describing. You've got me confused with the anon who was suggesting something like that. I would have thought when I suggested a literal word by word translation instead of machine translation that would have been obvious. Obviously I overestimated you.
>>
>>3538545
Its easy to spot the american character
>>
>>3555358
The second game you dont worry aboput this. The third one is filled with puzzle and quests
>>
>>3579564
You clearly don't have any experience with language learning. What's bizarre is that you're somehow mistaking learning words individually, with reading retarded translations. There's absolutely zero merit to reading something translated, aside from when you're in the very early days and want to double check if you got the grammar right. The languages are far too different for a translation to help, even if it's on the level of "in regards to the cat, mat is where it sat". Once you get past a single clause, the word ordering is too different for a translation to be useful as anything but a comprehension test.

When you talk about romanization, you make it blatantly clear you're less than a week in, tops. There's absolutely no possible reason to want it.

In order to learn a language, you need to understand the grammatical concepts and how they work, and they're not even vaguely close to their English equivalents. Trying to do that by reading a translation, no matter how literal, is a fools errand.

It's pretty funny to watch you try and "school" some guy when you don't even have a first grade knowledge.
>>
>>3579564
You need to learn words, not translations of words. Many words have more than one possible translation.

Translation aggregator can add Furigana (in Hiragana, Katakana or Rômazi) and word by word translations if you want to (via Jparser) . It's not just a collection of machine translators.
>>
Time for a bump.
>>
>the EVO RPG is getting translated
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
That, the Taikou Risshiden series and the Uncharted Waters games is basically 80% of my "fuck I need to learn japanese" gaming backlog.
>>
File: file.png (31KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
31KB, 512x288px
Hello there. A Windows port of the original PC-98 version of EVE Burst Error was discovered today and there are quite a few people who want to play that over the translated but remastered Windows port, so I'm looking for a way to port over the latter's translation to the former.

Anyone willing to help me decompile the script files? Here's a sample: https://dropfile.to/08yGFQ1
>>
>>3580929
For a small status update, we're doing script revisions currently to make sure the translation fits in the space available on the disks. Reinsertion works very well but there are still some issues. Most of the bugs are getting worked out but the game is almost to the a playable state. Just need to get done with revisions to knock the overall character count down, really. After that is more proofreading and testing I think.

Still a bit to go, but we're working through it.
>>
>>3580882
>Having romanization is the easiest way to learn the pronunciation of Kanji.
Mind telling us the name of your company so we can avoid it?
>>
>>3580882
>I work for a language learning company and know several languages
Prove it.
>>
language learning schools are a fucking scam.

Only unmotivated idiots enroll at them.
>>
>>3581365
They're worse than the ones in schools. Unless you're a native speaker, you have no business teaching the language
>>
>>3581035
What does it offer over the PC98 version?
>>
>>3581372
>They're worse than the ones in schools. U
My German teacher in High School was a native German speaker.
My Japanese professor was this tiny Japanese lady.
What the fuck are you on about? Most teachers outside of like Spanish are native speakers in my experience.
>>
File: file.png (411KB, 1112x360px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
411KB, 1112x360px
>>3581569
The remastered port has redone artwork and voice acting but most people prefer the original artwork. The port I want to transfer the translation over to came with one of the remakes of this game and it's pretty much the original game on Windows
>>
>>3581606
Also, the remastered port does not have porn
>>
>>3581572
In my experience they aren't. None of my six English teachers were native speakers and you won't find a Latin native anywhere. Other teachers teaching French, Russian or Spanish were Germans as well. Some teachers even taught multiple languages.
>>
>>3581035
Update: the script files have been successfully decrypted. I'm now looking for someone who's kind enough to make a repacker for the game's pkd format so I can repack the script files without worrying about modified file sizes being too big.

More details at >>>/vr/burst
>>
reminder to report shitposting on sight

responding to it, ironically or otherwise is the same as shitposting yourself.
>>
>>3582081
Every sane Japanese curriculum begins with learning Katakana and Hiragana.
Going back to Latin script after memorizing those is downright detrimental.
Romanization tells you nothing about pronunciation unless you already know Japanese. Phonetics would be a different matter but I don't see a point in using those over the 50 sounds or audio recordings.
You wouldn't get retards asking how to pronounce "tsundere" if Romanization was that intuitive.
>>
>>3547932
So fucking true. You also just got to love how many moon mavens there are here who magically disappear when it comes time to actually do a translation.
>>
>>3582114
>I don't have japanese kids
I can tell
>>
>>3583761
Even Japanese kids learn them before attending school.
It's not like Chinese where they use Pinyin as aids.
>>
>>3581372
>Unless you're a native speaker, you have no business teaching the language
Then who's supposed to teach Latin? Or Esperanto? And what's the cutoff for "native"? If you'd never heard a language for the first five years of life, but were surrounded by it for ten years after that, is that native, or at least close enough?
>>
>>3584310
There are people born into families speaking Esperanto that grow up with Esperanto as their first language.
>>
>>3584318
True; I know one. There's not nearly enough to go around for the demand for teachers of Esperanto, though, especially since the percentage of them interested in teaching isn't too much higher than the percentage of the general Esperantist population that is.
>>
File: 2755screenshot1.png (29KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
2755screenshot1.png
29KB, 320x240px
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2755/
>>
File: noooooo.gif (103KB, 368x290px) Image search: [Google]
noooooo.gif
103KB, 368x290px
>>3537758
>tfw Angelique will never be translated
>>
>>3583856
>i'll prove i don't have japanese kids god damn it!
OK, OK. You proved it. Japanese kids are geniuses who learn to write hiragana and katakana at the age of 3 and don't even need to learn romaji because they're born knowing it because of their godzilla radiation superpowers. It's all a racket by jewish book sellers to get parents to pay for unnecessary books.
>>
File: 2016-10-27-0512-44.webm (3MB, 960x626px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-27-0512-44.webm
3MB, 960x626px
>>3537758
>Rival Turf! (English)(Fully Playable)(SNES)

Hope he does the other two Rushing Beat games.
>>
File: guardianheroesj.jpg (76KB, 400x402px) Image search: [Google]
guardianheroesj.jpg
76KB, 400x402px
I heard the English ver. removed sound clips. Is there TL to this?
>>
http://sf3trans.shiningforcecentral.com/2016/10/27/sf3patch-version-18-test-files-posted/

Another update
>>
>>3585476
What do you gain by having a beatem up translated?
>>
>>3586535

A translated game.
>>
We've hit another milestone with the E.V.O. PC-98 precursor game (46 Okunen Monogatari - The Shinkaron) translation. We have now inserted the full script into the game, with the encyclopedia and game over stories still requiring their own revisions. Shit's moving along real nicely. Hope the couple of you guys into that here still like hearing about our progress.
>>
>>3587114
H A P P E N I N G
>>
File: 2767screenshot1.png (89KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
2767screenshot1.png
89KB, 320x240px
>Chameleon Twist
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2767/

The fuck is this game supposed to be

Also another roundup:
http://www.romhacking.net/news/1800/
>Super Mario Bros. (Esperanto)(Fully Playable)(NES)
>The Adventures of Bayou Billy (Spanish)(Fully Playable)(NES)
>Cowboy Kid (Spanish)(Fully Playable)(NES)
>Bomberman 64 (Japan) (English)(Fully Playable)(N64)
>Sukeban Deka III (English)(Fully Playable)(NES)
I>go: Kyuu Roban Taikyoku (English)(Fully Playable)(NES)
>Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Spanish)(Fully Playable)(NES)
>P.O.W.: Prisoners of War (Spanish)(Fully Playable)(NES)
>Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (Spanish)(Fully Playable)(GG)
>Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie (Spanish)(Fully Playable)(GG)
>Master of Darkness (Spanish)(Fully Playable)(SMS)
>Vampire: Master of Darkness (Spanish)(Fully Playable)(GG)
>Bonanza Bros. (Spanish)(Fully Playable)(SMS)
Crystalis (Spanish)(Fully Playable)(NES)
>Alex Kidd in Miracle World (Spanish)(Fully Playable)(SMS)
>Chameleon Twist (English)(Fully Playable)(N64)
>>
>>3585476
>>3586535
>>3586538
I think the intended meaning is, what text in a beat-em-up is there that's of any importance to the game?
Thread posts: 296
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.