[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Your opinion on Shenmue 1&2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 4

File: shenmue.jpg (295KB, 781x1024px) Image search: [Google]
shenmue.jpg
295KB, 781x1024px
Your opinion on Shenmue 1&2
>>
Have you seen any sailors?

How about a game of Lucky Hit?
>>
>>3537508
boring walking simulators. They were technologically impressive at the time, but not even remotely enjoyable as games.
>>
Extremely overrated, but understandably impressive for its time. From the get go, Yakuza games did what it did better in almost every way, besides visual fidelity.
>>
>>3537532
Except Yakuza games have shit atmosphere, shit characters, even worse combat and not as memorable music.
>>
>>3537527
Is this really it?? Is the any combat?? Do you learn cool karate kicks?? Would there be any enjoyment in playing this today??
>>
>>3537527
I really liked shenmue but this is pretty accurate ,the story never even progresses beyond the first fmv.

Still the attention to detail was amazing ,I spent hours exploring and talking to everyone.
>>
>>3537747
Yes there is a virtua fighter style fighting system in the game ,you learn new moves by picking up scrolls or some shit, I hated the fighting sections though and just button mashed those sections of the game
>>
>>3537748
You can't really remark on the story since it never reaches its conclusion with the second game ending on a cliffhanger.
>>
>>3537739
Woah, hothead, chill. He was obviously baiting and falseflagging.
>>
>>3537739
>worse combat
Haha, oh wow that delusion.
>>
>>3537971
This, people may shit on Shenmue but at least from the very first game it had many solid things and attention to detail while it took Yakuza around 8 games released every year to finally get good even in terms of gameplay.
>>
>>3537976
I don't think you meant to reply to me. Yakuza combat kicked the shit out of Shenmue starting with the second game once attack was increased overall and targeting was fixed. I'd agree that Shenmue games have stronger plots than any of the post Y2 games, but Yakuza is really immersive with great attention to detail in the world.
>>
>>3537508
I got myself a dreamcast. Also got Shenmue pretty cheap from a guy in Canada. I thought it was a great gaming experience. However, you need to like the story to be able to get into it. Shenmue is storytelling first and foremost in a beautiful surrounding.

Shenmue 2 is even better. I got that one on Xbox, I couldnt afford the Dreamcast versions floating around.
>>
>>3537989
*attack speed
>>
>Comparing Virtua Fighter RPG and River City Ransom 3D
They are not even similar in terms of story. You wouldn't compare them both to GTA, for example, wouldn't you?

I love both, but they are too different.
>>
>>3537989
Both games have very different combat, the lock on is still pretty wonky and Yakuza was never about immersion as much as Shenmue was.
But I'm pretty hyped about Y6 since they really improved the city and lighting and has finally FPS view to go around the city.
>>
I have Yakuza but never got as much into it as Shenmue. Yakuza is great though, and has given me many hours of good gaming. I just find that the story and athmossphere of Shenmue appealed more to me. I find myself playing Yakuza games on the PS3 thinking that it would be great if they had released Shenmue 3.
>>
>>3538001
Don't worry both games are very different.
I love both of them and can't wait for the newest titles in the series even though S3 is a kickstarter game and Y6 now panders to chinese players and NEXT GEN sub 30 fps gaming.
>>
>>3537998
It looks like they listened to feedback from the demo, as the combat is looking alot better. The Japanese celeb. presence they've got in there is insane.
>>
>>3538003
>sub 30 fps
All the PS4 Yakuza games so far have been 1080/60 with occasional framerate drops. Did they confirm 6 was going back to a 30 lock or something?
>>
>>3538004
Yes, they finally have Kitano in Yakuza.
I'm still not sure about the new Heat mode, looks a bit too button mashy.
>>
>>3538008
Those were PS3 ports, the demo of 6 was sub 30 fps 900p but it's confirmed that the final game will be 1080p but with rumors that it also should be 60 fps but unconfirmed.
>>
Does Shenmue emulate well?
I've heard it's a bitch to run in Demul if you have GPU slower than 1080.
>>
>>3538016
Shenmue is emulated best on Demul and it's very easy to emulate and you should be able to play it 60 fps even on 5+ year old pc
If it runs poor on your pc then you can try NullDC but it has minor graphical problems like hair clipping and weird shadows.
>>
>>3538023
NullDC can force every game to run widescreen though, while not perfect its better than black bars. For demul to do the same with this game you need to use a gameshark code if someone made one.
>>
It was gone home with gameplay other than just looking at boxes. You could get yourself lost doing certain things like earning enough money to buy all the fucking capsule toys, but it leaves you as hallow as it does it real life.

2's ending is also a massive pile of shit that comes from nowhere and I just know in 3 ryo is going to start firing hadoukens.
>>
>>3538068
I don't think anyone liked that magical bullshit ending, hope they drop it in 3.
Also if 3 will be only in some small villages and you won't have at least some city like in 1 and 2 then It will be very disappointing
>>
>>3537971
Found the retard who can't even handle dumbed down Virtua Fighter combat.
>>
>>3538080
I didn't imply it was hard, and comparing Shenmue's combat like that is an insult to VF
>>
>>3538068
>>3538074
Don't you remember Shenmue On-line?
>>
Can't wait to play III and see how the story continues.

Bailu was such a blueball.
>>
>>3537991
>$732.20 new

I fucking new I should have bought 2 copies. I bet my old beat up on is worth $70 tops.
>>
>>3538771
I honestly wonder if anyone ever bought a 17 year old new Dreamcast game for 732$ or even any video game at all at that price
>>
>>3538063
Can I play arcade games on nulldc?
>>
>>3538849
Probably not that price is too extreme. I bought the game when it came out from an import store for $80 so I'd be happy if I could at least get maybe $150 for it but that's not happening in the condition it's in. I just didn't have the money at the time to buy two copies and now I'm kicking myself for it.
>>
>>3538771
I got Shenmue one in an ebay auction for 18 Cuckdollars + shipping for a couple of bucks. No joke.
>>
>>3539271
Yeah NA Shenmue 1 is pretty worthless. We're talking about the EU Shenmue 2 for the Dreamcast that's worth some bucks.
>>
>>3537748
>I spent hours talking to everyone
you have an abnormal attraction to shit dubs and even worse dialogue.
>>
>>3539305
Oh yeah, I just gave up on trying to get the DC version, and just settled for the Xbox.
>>
>>3539330
Not the guy you are answering, but I also loved walking around Shenmue. I try to play them every once again after some years have passed.
>>
>>3538063
There's a simple Cheatengine based trainer for Demul that makes game widescreen without any popins at all. https://youtu.be/KQ1Jfq61s6k

>>3538874
No.
>>
>>3537508
Played the first game. It's awesome. Ryo's story is great and the world you run around in does feel real. The attention to detail is insane. Talking to people and solving the mystery was fun. I love how it's not quickly paced. The music made me feel feelings. Only thing I didn't like was forklift racing. That was kinda weird.

I'm still playing 2 and I don't like it quite as much. It still does an amazing job of making you feel like you're in this place but Hong Kong isn't as great as Ryo's home. It makes sense to feel that way in the story though, it's not cozytime anymore like the start of Shenmue 1 was.

Hong Kong is a lot bigger, and while it's beautiful it's not as easy to memorize and getting around feels more like a chore. Again I think it makes sense and is totally intentional but I just don't like it as much.
>>
File: Kowloon.png (145KB, 442x243px) Image search: [Google]
Kowloon.png
145KB, 442x243px
>>3539474
Have you even gotten to Kowloon yet in Shenmue 2?
>>
>>3539548
Nope. I'm still pretty early into it from what I can tell. Ryo's only spent 3 or 4 nights with Xiuyang/ Lishao Tao.

I wanna finish the game, it's really been great. I'm just not head over heels yet.

I wanna met Shenhua so bad holy fuck, who are you god dammit
>>
I loved the first game when I played it on Dreamcast, it was far easier for me back then to get into the world and just play arcade games and work for cash for hours. I would struggle to play it today, but I have fond memories.
>>
I don't get why people always have to compare Yakuza with Shenmue. They're both completely different styles and approaches to game design, just because there's fighting involved in both doesn't mean they're the same types of games. Shenmue is more of an adventure game while Yakuza is a straight up brawler. Shenmue has a deeper message while Yakuza is just nigger gangster shit.
>>
A long time ago...
>>
>>3539474
I didn't like S2 as much as S1 as well. A lot of people seem to prefer it though.
It definitely gets bigger in scope but it kind of loses that homely comfy feeling.

Still a great game though.
>>
>>3539856
I'm all for nostalgia glasses, but wow, how wrong you can get.
>>
>>3539978
Not the same guy but I agree with him. Shenmue is essentially an Adventure game with mini games in between segments, and fighting is just one of the many mini games. The focus of the game is the world building, exploration, character interactions and figuring out who you have to talk to or what you're supposed to do to move on in the story. At its core it is an Adventure game.
You don't spend your whole time fighting like in Yakuza, in some segments of the games it's rare if you ever find a fight at all for hours and hours. It's just one of the many aspects of the game that you have to do from time to time, it's not the focus of the game at all.
Yakuza is essentially a 3D river city ransom, you have a hub world that essentially just serves to navigate through the fights. Even though the world and exploration is quite detailed compared to modern standards, it's however very paper thin exploration compared to Shenmue's world.

Shenmue's open world policy also is essentially the opposite paradigm of today's open world games. Most open world games are huge but filled with fucking nothing, Shenmue on the other hand is very tiny cities/villages but it's all filled with detail down to the microscopic level.

So essentially on the surface, on the superficial level, both games look the same if you catch a quick glimpse of it, but when you really look at the core of what makes both games good they're very different things. Although it's pretty obvious Yakuza had a huge Shenmue influence, but it took it in a different direction.
>>
Yes let's all agree that Shenmue is a great game and people who prefer Yakuza are just wrong so can go back to /v/ where they belong.
>>
>>3540004
That's hardly the point. They're both good games on their own merits, the point is that they shouldn't be compared as if it was the same genre.
>>
>>3540012
Fine, I'll concede that both Shenmue games are great and at least that many Yakuza games are also great. They really need to stop recycling locations so much in Yakuza though, I'm really sick of Kamurocho.
>>
>>3540021
Nagoshi once said that a Yakuza game without Kiryu and Kamurocho is like Mario game without Mario.
Either way Y6 will be the last game with Kiryu and even though Kamurocho was in every game at least they try to improve it each game and the city was mostly redone in 6.
>>
>>3540038
>improved Kamuorcho
Now with more pointless rooftops!

There already is a Yakuza game without Kiryu, the PSP one and if it's Kamurocho in Kenzan then it hardly matters if it's 400 years ago. Besides a better analogy to what he said anyway would be "like a Sonic game without Green Hill Zone ..that takes 40 hours of the game." It can and has been done.
>>
>>3540048
We're not talking about Yakuza 4 which added those shitty rooftops and a parking lot and the other games are spin offs so they hardly count ( you don't play as Kiryu in Kenzan or Ishin )
They redone Kamarucho in 6 and I don't see a problem of them including this city if they make it better and include new thing, it's not like it's the only city in game except for only Y1 and Y4.
>>
>>3540052
>you don't play as Kiryu in Kenzan or Ishin
oh come on, they give him a different name but it's Kiryu, it's his face and his voice and acts just like him. Just as do Majima and all the other series staples who aren't technically themselves.

Anyhow, getting actual arcade games was an improvement but Shenmue already did that back in 2000, the karaoke rhythm game is garbage, the hostess clubs are pointless, ordering local food just gives you a static photo and the same canned animation from behind Kiryu tucking in regardless as to what but ohh they'll make time in every damned one to ensure you have to go to that damn underground black market and get forced into another endurance cage match.
>>
>>3540054
Seems like you don't really like Yakuza series.
The mini games are small addition but are there while Shenmue had similar stuff that you could call pointless, in 2 you need money only once which is the 500$ to progress the story so you go to gamble to win once on the highest bet and if you don't win just reset and load save.
Also another thing is that Yakuza is very small budget compared to Shenmue and yet they still release the game every year.
Either way at least they improve nearly all of the stuff they include and they are rebuilding everything even those mini games that you said were garbage or "pointless"
>>
>>3540069
>Seems like you don't really like Yakuza series.
They are the only reasonable facsimile to new Shenmue games that I have to play until Shenmue III releases in a year. Also Sega kept hinting at how if these were successful we might actually get a new Shenmue, which we finally are regardless of Yakuza because SIII has no involvement from them.
>>
I only beat Yakuza 1 and 2, do they significantly improve on the PS3? Because comparing them to Shenmue is laughable, especially the lousy camera.
>>
>>3540635
The PS3 games drop the fixed camera and tbe combat has improved with every entry. Yakuza 2 still has the strongest plot in the series though.
>>
>>3541295
I love Ryu ga Gotoku since the first one but the plots are ridiculous at best. If i remember well in the end of Yakuza 2 the Osaka Castle splits in two and you end fighting against ninjas and tigers.
>>
>>3537508
Might as well play Forklift Simulator.

At least the built-in retro games are cool.
>>
>>3537508
Both legendary games. It's a hybrid being a detective,karate master. The atmosphere, and story telling are as good as you're gonna get in the entire medium. And there is alot of subtle charm sprinkled about. The voice acting is not the greatest, but among fans it's lovely. There could be alot of walking, especially if you arent finding any clues. However there are many things to distract you from the monotony. More so in part 2. Gambling, training, shopping, fighting. You can even go to the arcade and play classic sega games. IMO one of the absolute greatest gaming experiences you can go for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlKs9V8i3yY
>>
File: 1394320522089.jpg (71KB, 584x483px) Image search: [Google]
1394320522089.jpg
71KB, 584x483px
>>3542989
>records footage to put online
>can't even be bothered to remove fucking mouse cursor from the screen
>>
Are there any good Shenmue-likes? Maybe L.A. Noire?
>>
>>3543021
Don't want to be a dick or anything, but Shenmue really is it's own thing, so I'd say no there probably isn't.

And L.A. Noire even though had a lot of potential and ambition it ended up becoming quite a hot mess. Pretty sure they had a clear vision for the project to make it into a pretty grounded detective game focusing on interrogations and exploration, but it just seems like they were forced into adding GTA and shootout elements to it that just bog the whole experience down and shift the mood entirely. It ends up being quite a schizophrenic experience of hot and cold always shifting around in tone.
>>
>>3543021
LA Noire is fun but has 2 crucial flaws IMO. For one, the interrogation menu consists of Truth, Doubt and Lie when responding. The issue is that literally all the info you get for a very contextual response are those words. Meaning, hitting the doubt button could result in your character doubting the part of a testimony you don't mean to doubt at all. Though it's pretty funny to hit Doubt, and see Cole call your suspect a "left-leaning son of a whore". The other flaw is the world when compared to Shenmue. Alot of people were expecting this to be 1940s GTA, but in reality, the world outside of cases isn't very rewarding to explore and isn't nearly as detailed. Still a 8/10 for me, and the face capture tech is really fucking cool.
>>
File: SLPS-01783-F-ALL.jpg (74KB, 651x650px) Image search: [Google]
SLPS-01783-F-ALL.jpg
74KB, 651x650px
>>3543021
L.A. Noire was really disappointing.

The game more closer to Shenmue i have played was Deadly Premonition, highly inspired by another game called Mizzurna Falls, which it's also retro.
>>
>>3543053
Seconding Deadly P, especially if you like Twin Peaks; it is pretty fucking much Twin Peaks: The Game in many respects. I'd reccomend the PC version with Durante's excellent patch. Same guy who saved Dark Souls and Tales of Symphonia on PC.
>>
>>3543051
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1mYiwIb-Cs
>>
i like Shenmue 1 more but...i'll admit that Shenmue 2 is bigger and better in almost every way.

I just hated the last bit of disc 3 where you have to work your way up through the long ass building...you don't get to save and it's like over an hour long. then you get one save between disc 3 and 4 then you have to play for over an hour again.

Shenmue 1 is comfier for me. I actually lived in a similar neighborhood growing up in seoul s. korea. I know Shenmue 1 is japan but it was very similar.

I LOVED how gritty the walls were or buildings and how trash would be on the ground. there was a degree of realism I hadn't seen in gaming at that time.

the controls of both Shenmue games are FAR from perfect but they are doable.

I love the Shenmue games. I never played xbox version of 2. only dreamcast 1 and 2. Shenmue 1 is in my personal top ten games ever.
>>
>>3543124
>Shenmue 1 is comfier for me.
I think everyone can agree with that. The atmosphere in S1 was far superior to S2's, though maybe that was their intention, to give off a sense of foreignness and loneliness. However, Bailu made up for Kowloon's drudge.
>>
>>3543124
Xbox version of 2, you can save anytime anywhere.
>save skumming for a Yidian Pair
still painful
>>
>>3543053
Also Mizzurna Falls is getting a fan-translation soon.
>>
Did anyone here ever get the duck minigame in II unlocked? I read about it in a strategy guide years ago but never managed to beat the arcade girl to get the final medal needed...
>>
>>3537508
I liked the shit campy kung fu anime story, but theres a lot of "real life" waiting in order to do the fun stuff or get to the plot points.

The game pace needed to be faster, but I thought it was fun.
>>
>>3544331
> but theres a lot of "real life" waiting
No, there is only Hang On and Space Harrier.
>>
>>3543124
I will never forget that fucking ghost building QTE's, the last one was impossible without memorizing it and no matter which you failed you would have that cutscene where Ryo imagines all of that and you need to enter the building and start all over again.
>>
>>3544418
That one was some goddamn bullshit
>>
>>3543551
Yeah I did. You mean the convenience store girl Izumi right? Yeah she's pretty heard if you don't get the QTE for her Cherry Blossom Festival attack right three times it's an automatic defeat. Even missing one depletes your health pretty drastically.
>>
>>3543551
Yup, had to do it to get the gold medal for the 100% playthrough I did over 10 years ago. >>3544863 is right, she was tough to beat.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.