[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We settle this??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 15

File: 20160930_031238.jpg (2MB, 2576x1932px)
20160930_031238.jpg
2MB, 2576x1932px
Does this image make you mad?? No trolling, legit quesyion. This is my shelf I built to display my games that i love. That I PLAY, all the time. Ive been collecting stuff and holding on to it since I was about 5, I'm 29 now and everything I've gotten since I started heavily collecting (around 19/20) was picked up dirt cheap. When prices were low, Some of you collectors remember that shit. It was great, now everyone is a fucking greedy shit ball.

Sure you want most the games on my shelf. Sure I've taken them off the market. No I can't play every game I own but I will try and so will my kids and so will their kids.

However, you want my games, and technically since I've taken them for myself they will ultimately become more expensive and harder to find.

But, I grew up with them. I bought games by learning about them in magazines I read when I was 10. There was no internet. You read reviews in magazines and you rented shit from blockbuster. No one told you what was great, the internet was in early bloom, and there was no such thing as g4. I earned the right to have these and take care of them and pass them on and show people who appreciate them. I don't give a fuck about cib sealed games and if I had one id open it. So I can PLAY IT.

Hipsters who just learn about this shit from e-celebs and want to jump on the collecting band wagon DESERVE to have their only option be emulation and VC. It's not that bad, and if anything the only reason you want original hardware is to emulate a feeling of nostalgia that you never even had and to show people you want to like you to think you're a gaming og.

>continued
>>
File: 20160930_033421.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20160930_033421.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
>>3530651
You don't want to pay the prices collectors have set, get you think collectors are asses who should sell you a great game for no more than $5. Makes no sense. If you give a fuck about playing the game and enjoying it, emulating it should please you, especially at price.

>inb4 resellerscum

No, if I have stuff I don't want i like to trade with other collectors. Recently traded cib einhander for ps2 Trapt, huge profit margin lost, who cares I picked it up for cheap back in the day and it was a double of mine

>Tl;Dr - happy collector here, ask me anything and i will be honest, chilling, smoking, playing bushido blade
>>
The loose SNES and Genesis carts being slanted kinda bothers me. There's a couple bagged NES games, can't see their titles. The NES area looks really well made, it looks like you've got thin slats running under each row to make pulling the games out easier. The boxed Genesis games are displayed well.

Close-up of the PS1 games area? Looks like you have a ton. Pics of a PS2 section?
>>
Nice blog. Nobody cares.
>>
>>3530651
>Does this image make you mad
No. But it makes me giggle that these days that is what passes for a "collection" that anyone should get mad about. Didn't read the rest of the blog.
>>
>>3530651

Not at all. Whoever the owner bought them and it's all good. If you got the cash, you can buy whatever you want.
>>
tl;dr
>>
I find it a little autistic that you have those genesis games on display like that, but other than that it's a fine shelf o' games.
>>
>>3530978
this

no it doesn't make me mad and I don't even really understand why you'd think it would
>>
>>3530651
Why would u care if this triggers a bunch of sexually frustrated autist 4chinkers op? They don't matter irl and they don't matter here 2bh.
>>
>>3530651
seems like you are the one mad about the current state of retro gaming prices more then anyone else.
>>
>he doesn't keep all his games in shoeboxes under the bed

You got pinball quest in there? Wanna trade?
>>
>>3530729
Op here again, Ps1 section here

>>3530836
>>3530998

Tons of people shitting on collectors for having expensive games that are rare now. At least I am preserving an entire generation of content. Everything could end up like those horrendous Madden 95's that are loosely scattered in the aisles of pawn shops.
>>
File: 20160930_162508.jpg (2MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20160930_162508.jpg
2MB, 2576x1932px
>>3532157
Whoops, forgot pic
>>
>>3532170
You know, OP, if you just wanted to show off your collection you could have instead started a collection thread. Those are a somewhat regular thing here on /vr/.
>>
File: 14752876743561057747045.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
14752876743561057747045.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Collection thread?
>>
>>3532637
Shit may as well. I still need to pick up X-Men 2. Actually just bought X-Men Mutant Apocalypse last week.
>>
>>3530651
Your parents were rich, we get it dude, good for you
>>
File: 20160930_162604.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20160930_162604.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
>>3532641
Hahaaaaaa actually no, never helped me with shit. Rode a bike to work for two years till I could afford a car, no collecting during that time.

My super nes, gbc and ps1 were from my parents but usually the games they got me sucked, you don't have to be a neet weeb to have a vr collection, just gotta hunt deals, like, forever.. I don't even bother with CL, it's all about thrift stores, flea markets and pawn shops.
>>
>>3532659
>just gotta hunt deals, like, forever.. I don't even bother with CL, it's all about thrift stores, flea markets and pawn shops.

You're right about CL but thrift stores and pawn shops are a joke the last few years. They look up every game and price them at market.
>>
File: 20160930_162627.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px)
20160930_162627.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
>>3532667

We have a bunch of stores here called "Trade-it!" That are still amazing for deals. Its corporate owned so there's not one greedy pawn shop guy pricing all his games like their gold.

Here's a close up of the NES section, the games in bags are Trade-It plastic bags which are still sealed (like it matters), it's Mega Man 6 and Contra Force, both were prices at $9.99, got them some time last year. Also found Rise of the simistrals for 9.99 too, it's like they knoq which games are pricey but they sell so much shit they want their games gone immediately so they price them a little higher than .99 cents it's fucking amazing.
>>
File: 20160930_162548.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20160930_162548.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
>>3532715
Wow that's garbage, thought I took a better pic than that, at work right now, I'll take another later.

These are all my DVD case games in boxes, I'll open them up and take pics when I get home
>>
>>3532715
That's nice to have. There's 5 game shops around me and only 1 has prices that are close to ebay, the others all mark everything up. That is the 1 store that will not haggle prices though. Only places I've found anything the last couple years were in the clearance sections of pawn shops. Post your SNES games when you get a chance... hopefully clear enough to read the labels.
>>
OP, I'm serious about offering a trade on pinball quest. I see you like the deception series and I acknowledge your taste.
>>
the only thing that makes me mad in this thread is how shitty you are at taking pictures, overall decent collection.
>>
>>3530651
The genesis clamshells facing forward make me mad, yes.
>>
>>3530651
I don't understand your point. People are free to do what they want and as long as they have money to buy these expensive games and make a collection, they can do it and nothing you think gonna change that. This is so stupid. If you want to emulate, do it. If you want to start a collection, do it.

Internet is becoming something so annoying and so stupid. Who cares about what you think? Who cares about your collection anyway? Who cares about the the age you think somebody have the right do buy games and start something?

So if I like classic rock I can't buy any record or start a collection about it because I wasn't born in time to see my fave Band live in 1968? This is stupid and childish, man fuck off and let people enjoy things that aren't from the time they were born.
>>
File: Frank Black.jpg (17KB, 410x350px) Image search: [Google]
Frank Black.jpg
17KB, 410x350px
>>3530651
>>3530657
Is it autism?
>>
>>3532784
The price has rose in value, BECAUSE it's coveted, and because it's popular, and because you want it. You're free to do it but now that you know it's cool, and you want it, and you're late to the party, you're going to have to shell out money to have these things that someone else might think is cool or interesting.

But, if I grew up listening to the band, buying their record at the show for $5, and loving them before they were super popular or perhaps even genre/world-changing, you can't be mad at me for having the album, holding on to it forever, and not selling it to YOU for the $5 I got it for because of the argument "it's a piece of plastic".

What are the odds I'll get another album at the $5 price I was so generous to give to you? Lets say should i want it again after parting with it. Should I just assume someone will directly hook me up because of karma?? Highly doubt it.

Explain collector hate.
>>
>>3532667
I wouldn't write them off completely, you can still get lucky. I've found better deals at retro game cons and meetups. Patience is the big thing.

You're not going to find a Little Samson for nothing anymore of course but I've found the classics like SMB3, Contra and Metroid for under $10 at those places. You can still get a small, respectable collection of fun games for not a lot of money as long as you wait and keep looking.

And I doubt OP (or his parents) just blew a few thousand on NES games all at once, chances are he built it up from a few games to what he has now.
>>
>On craigslist looking for deals

Yes, I'm memetexting, deal with it.

>spot new_in_fucking_box star tropics for NES, and two other common, but still NIB NES games, these things still have the stickers from K-mart, which isn't even open in my state anymore

>Also has *sterling* platters(as in, more than one)

>take the hour-long drive there, wait 2 hours

>someone else arrives 30m before start

>I still get in first

>spot the priiiiize, ask how much for all three

>older gentleman picks them up, puts his glasses on, and makes the motions of eyeing them carefully

>says "$120 for all three"

>"o-oh, okay.."

>how about your sterling?

>Yeah, one's here, the others here..(these are big ass trays btw, and one was $5, the other $7)

>flip them both over, they're both silver plate, and the vase-thing he tried to show me was also silverplate
Guys, don't be a retard like me and waste a trip on a gamble, even if it looks kind of promising. Unless you have literally nothing else better to do, but still, fuck that.
>>
>>3533471

Think of the overall investment. Driving an hour because something is even at 50% collector value is a joke
>>
I have a pretty large NES and SNES collection both, but they're pretty much all I do when I'm not at work or school, so I don't feel bad investing money into something that I spend so much time doing. I even have flash carts for both consoles and I still like to go out and get titles I don't have. I've beaten the vast majority of my library even. If it weren't for a few impossible ones like Silver Surfer, I'd probably have beaten them all honestly.
>>
>>3533254
>Patience is the big thing
This is very true. But there's no point telling anyone because anyone capable of patience already knows this and the rest are spastic monkey boys who want their toys now! Now! NOW!

Not sure about Little Samson but I found a CIB Shantae for $5 earlier this year.
>>
>>3533596
It really depends on what it is. I recently drove an hour and a half to get an Atari XE, which would normally be about a hundred bucks for just the console itself and maybe the cables and keyboard if you're lucky. Guy was selling it with the keyboard, 3 games and all the documentation for 75. It was worth the drive for me just because I have never seen an XE at any of my local game shops and I'd rather not have to pay for shipping and potentially deal with it being damaged in transit. Plus the guy let me hook it up and test it out so I'd say that makes it worth the drive even if it wasn't that great a deal.

My point is, if it's something hard to find and with possible headaches that would come with shipping it can be avoided, I don't see a problem with an impromptu road trip. Bring a friend along.
>>
>>3532170
You managed to post a pic that wasnt fucking sideways. Good job OP. Still a faggot, but good job.
>>
File: 20161001_232932.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px)
20161001_232932.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>3530651
Learn to take a better picture op
>>
>>3530651

yes the image makes me mad as fuck because you refused to take the 5 seconds to flip the image so i didnt have to tilt my goddamn head to look at it
>>
>>3530651
>Does this image make you mad??

A little bit, but only because I don't like seeing carts stacked vertically like that.
>>
>>3532157
>Tons of people shitting on collectors for having expensive games that are rare now
No, it's not just that. Collectors tend to be validation seeking nu-male fags who are just in it for the social cred, and have little to no actual knowledge/interest in the games at all. That, and they're part of the reason why everything is so expensive now.

>At least I am preserving an entire generation of content
So are the people who emulate or have flashcarts. Nothing special about that.

>Everything could end up like those horrendous Madden 95's that are loosely scattered in the aisles of pawn shops.
>Oh no, I don't want to go back to 2002 where everything is $2 and there's no demand!
You're saying that like it's bad thing. Resellerfag detected.
>>
File: IMG_20161001_210123.jpg (305KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161001_210123.jpg
305KB, 1600x1200px
>>3530651
Here's another example of a better picture.
>>
File: j33vesu.jpg (19KB, 217x320px) Image search: [Google]
j33vesu.jpg
19KB, 217x320px
>>3534960
To be fair, there's a chance he really did flip it, and 4chan "undid" the flip... I've had it happen- once, and others have complained about it happening to them.
Also, does anyone ever feel bad when getting absurd deals? As in, "to the cleaners"-absurd.

I loves me some deals, but goddamn, sometimes this feels like preying upon the ignorant.
>>
>>3535056
Did the other party accept the money you offered them? Then there's no reason to feel bad.
>>
>>3530651

What is this thread even about? I bought my games at release to play them and now they're valuble. I don't care, I keep them for nostalgia.

If I want to play them I use an emulator, except for psx because I have 3 consoles and are not worried about breaking all of them.
>>
>>3532790
>>3532641
>>3532630
>>3530987
>>3530836
>>3534953

Hi Autismo guy!
>>
>>3536807
Hi assmad lass
>>
>>3532170
>That one greatest hits copy of Crash Bandicoot
OP pls
>>
>>3532170
op, you know putting games on top of each other like that is going to break cases, right?

i know this because its fucking true of PS1 cases
>>
>>3534692
nice

a friend of mine got a nice score off of offer up. an snes, nes and genesis, some games including a SEALED MMX for 210
>>
>>3532715
Trade-It is shit. I seen them in my area and they ebay price everything. Went there recently and saw a copy of Afrika for the PS3 and went oh I hope this is cheap. Fucking ebay price of 30 bucks. Saw Sudioken V on the PS2. 50 bucks. Fuck that. I'll just buy from Ebay if I wanted to pay those prices. And the retro section in my area was ass and they were selling NES, SNES, and N64 sports games for 3-5 bucks.
>>
A little tip for shelf stackers

A strip of hard flat cardboard or plastic stops slippage when you take a cart of the shelf
>>
File: PpkAjp9.jpg (18KB, 480x460px)
PpkAjp9.jpg
18KB, 480x460px
>>3532715
>>
It makes me feel like...

Wolf-kabob Roth vantage.
>>
When you die these will be sold before they even bother to move your mummified corpse, and the money will be spent on clothes and organic food.

Hoarders just become pinatas
>>
>>3530651
>But, I grew up with them. I bought games by learning about them in magazines I read when I was 10. There was no internet.

And do you think that makes you better?
>>
File: projectingb.jpg (80KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
projectingb.jpg
80KB, 400x600px
>>3530651
>if anything the only reason you want original hardware is to emulate a feeling of nostalgia that you never even had

>I'm 29
>Collects games for a system released before he was born

The king of projecting strikes again!

There's nothing wrong with collecting games, or enjoying games from before your time. But thinking it makes you a special snowflake and better than everyone else is laughable.
>>
>>3540237
This desu. Whether it's stamps, collectible cards or matchbox etiquettes your kids will probably sell them all, and for cheap.
>>
>>3540270
yea its best to sell that shit now while its trendy. later on no one will give a shit about le retro gaems
>>
>>3530651
>my kids and their kids will play these games
wishful thinking anon
my brother built an arcade cabinet / custom arcade stick around his super nintendo. but his kiddos would rather just play on their tablets
>>
>>3540264
Who the fuck said he was special? Yeah, he collects NES games. Big fucking deal. He, like most working class families at the time, probably had a NES until 1993, and even then didn't get a decent SNES/Genesis collection until 1995
>>
>>3540289
whats gud op
>>
>>3540290
Why not trying asking the OP next time?
>>
>>3540289
Calling other people hipsters is clear language saying you think you're better than they are. Also saying he has the "right to have these and take care of them"

And there's nothing at all wrong with collecting NES games. There were tons of great NES games. But calling out people for collecting games they didn't have nostalgia for while posting a picture with a bunch of games from before they were born is some serious irony.
>>
>>3530651
Are you really criticising people for wanting to enjoy something from before they were around?

Also if you had any intelligence at all you would realise most people who want original hardware don't want to 'look like a gaming og'. Why would you just pretend that playing on the actual hardware has no value in itself?
>>
>>3540303
>Calling other people hipsters
Is saying it like it is.

>Also saying he has the "right to have these and take care of them"
True enough. That's a faggy thing to say

>calling out people for collecting games they didn't have nostalgia for while posting a picture with a bunch of games from before they were born is some serious irony

No it isn't. I'm 25 and had NES until 1996. Are you implying it would be impossible for me to be nostalgic for the NES because I wasn't born when it was released?
>>
>>3540368
>Is saying it like it is.
Possibly, (I can barely tell what people mean when they say hipster now) but the point is that it's a purposefully derogatory term that he used to imply he is better than the people he's talking about.

>Are you implying it would be impossible for me to be nostalgic for the NES because I wasn't born when it was released?

No I didn't mean to imply that. That was mostly in reponse to him saying things like this "Hipsters who just learn about this shit from e-celebs and want to jump on the collecting band wagon DESERVE to have their only option be emulation and VC."

He's saying that because he learned about old games when he was young from magazines and renting, that he is better than people younger than him who learned about them in their own way. He is implying that his nostalgia is more valid.

I have no issue with people of any age loving any kind of game, no matter when it was released. I think it's great when someone loves games and ends up delving back into those that are from before their time. It's OP saying that he "earned the right" to physical games while anyone younger "DESERVE" to only have emulation as an option. That is the shitty attitude I am highlighting.
>>
>>3540237
>organic food

Leave.
>>
>>3540581
??
>>
>>3530651
>nes
>snes
>genisis
>master system
>n64
>ps1
normie
>>
>>3540598
>master system
>normie
Maybe if you're Brazilian
>>
No, it does not make me mad.
It's just plastic and electronics. Someday it will all become useless. Someday you will die and your kids will sell all your junk at an estate sale.

Enjoy it while you can. I have a collection too. Mine is getting to big for me, I can't even play all of them. Which makes me wonder, why buy them.
>>
File: 0118161356-00.jpg (407KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
0118161356-00.jpg
407KB, 1600x1200px
big saturn fan reporting
>>
>>3530651
Go back to eti you blind Macedonian faggot.
>>
What's the point of this thread?
>>
>>3530651
Just pretend I took a picture of my carpet and cleverly replaced all mentions of gaming with some variation of carpet and that will answer your question.
>>
>>3541885
Why is there an angry boombox in your fireplace?
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.