[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New Official Duke Nukem 3D Episode

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 13

File: high-times-coffee-shop.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
high-times-coffee-shop.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Gearbox has made a page with screenshots and descriptions of the upcoming new Duke Nukem 3D episode by Levelord, Allen Blum and Lee Jackson.

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/2016/09/a-look-at-the-new-duke-nukem-maps-with-allen-h-blum-iii-and-richard-levelord-gray/

>High Times level
>>
File: high-times-rec-room.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
high-times-rec-room.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
Set in Amsterdam
>>
I think it looks pretty nice apart from the fucked up lighting
>>
File: golden-carnage-tunnel.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
golden-carnage-tunnel.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>Golden Carnage level

Set on and around the Golden Gate Bridge.

Here you can find the "new" Firefly enemy which is just a shitty version of the Liztroop taken off the beta material of the game.
>>
File: hollywood-inferno-the-hills.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
hollywood-inferno-the-hills.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
Old bosses re-used as minid-bosses. A previous screenshot had already shown Overlord mini bosses, now the Cycloid.

>>3514721
Yes, but thankfully you can turn that off.

Despite all the bad in this release, I'm still excited about the new levels.
>>
>>3514732
Wrong pic, here is the real mini-boss of it.
looks like the red one is the final boss or something.
>>
>>3514715
Is this normal mapping on the bricks?
>>
BAZINGA
>>
>>3514819
Yes. Normal mapping on 1996 textures.
>>
>>3514750
So final boss is just a recolor? LULLLLLL
>>
You guys ready to drop $20 (guesstimate) for this?
>>
File: tour-de-nukem-another-dimension.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tour-de-nukem-another-dimension.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>3514835
Apparently so. Look at how shitty the "new weapon" looks, and most of the new art just don't fit with DN3D well.
The levels and musics made have been done
by the old devs, but everything else was done by Nerve software and it mostly looks like shit.

The new enemy is based on a beta version of the game's Liztroop; and that was only because they were handed beta material.
Doesn't look like these guys would be able to make a new enemy from scratch even if they wanted to and were given the means.

>>3514837
Actually that is the correct price. Honestly, I don't think it's too expensive when you consider that we're talking about 8 new levels made by the game's original level designers, with new musics by the original composer and new Duke lines.
Said like this, it's a dream come true for fans. How many old games get new stuff by the original devs? It's like we were getting a new classic style Resident Evil scenario by Mikami, or a new Silent Hill scenario by Team Silent... or an entirely new Doom episode by Romero.
Besides this is about the equivalent price of something like Plutonium Pack or Caribbean Life back in the day.
Other recent DN3D releases were cheaper, but we're talking new content by some of the origianl devs here.
>>
Reminder that this will not have Caribbean Life, Duke It Out in D.C. and Nuclear Winter because "they're not 20 years old yet".
>>
>>3514852
This is the shittiest shill post I've seen on /vr/
>>
File: bea_large.jpg (121KB, 1000x718px) Image search: [Google]
bea_large.jpg
121KB, 1000x718px
>>3514852
Mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, I agree that it's totally awesome to get a new, official episode. I want to play these levels and I want to incentivize other companies to do the same thing with their old IPs.

On the other hand, pulling Megaton from Steam and not including the expansions here still seems like a dick move. And Pitchford still seems like an ass about the whole situation.

But I dunno. Despite all the jewfuckery, it's generally a good thing that companies are seeing the $$$ value of source ports, I think. In Duke's case, the community didn't need the help at all, but in others (like Blood of course) it could lead to more ports and rereleases, and not every game out there has a solid community that makes it easy for you already.
>>
>>3514873
Reminder that one of those is a holiday parody episode that literally nobody played through on Megaton
>>
Did LGR's Clint do the voice acting?
>>
>>3514870
Randy, go write another song.
>>
Overbright lighting and no bloom looks retarded.
>>
>>3514717
>>3514715

Why the fuck are LAPD in fucking Amsterdam?
>>
File: 1340302619842.png (15KB, 227x276px) Image search: [Google]
1340302619842.png
15KB, 227x276px
>>3516009
>LAPD
>>
>The first Duke Nukem 3D port was from icculus.org. It is a cross-platform project that allows the game to be played on AmigaOS, AmigaOS 4, AROS, BeOS, FreeBSD, Linux, Mac OS X, MorphOS, Solaris

wow that's a pretty ambitious port
>>
>>3514732
Did they change the coding on the Cycloid to not have to only walk on that one grass texture?
>>
>>3514715
looks rather inconsistent visually
>>
>>3516959
I'm sorry, what? Cycloid can walk on everything.

>>3514878
>Mixed feelings on this.

Yeah, exactly. My main fear is that I'll be disappointed by the old devs. The very fact that they dropped so much sector based shading to use dynamic lights in their new maps is already a disappointment for me.
>>
>>3516970
I remember hearing something about how the emperor cycloid could only move on the floor tile from that one Stadium stage, so he wasnt able to just wander the whole arena or something like that, so back in the day if you just plopped him down anywhere in a map hed just stay in place and shoot at you, I think even in the ZOO.map with all the enemies you can see he cant even leave his cage while the other two bosses can
>>
File: sheldonukem.jpg (130KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sheldonukem.jpg
130KB, 1920x1080px
I hope this new episode is playable on eDuke because I'm not going to buy Duke Nukem 3D again for the fourth/fifth time. Especially not after Randy decided to fuck Douk fans up in the ass and removed the Megaton Edition from steam.
>>
Where can I pirate the new episode? I'm not giving Gearbox any money even if this is made by the original level designers.
>>
Didn't they steal eDuke's shaders or something like that?
>>
>>3516980
He could be stayput. For most enemies it's triggerable and it means that it can not leave the sector they're in, but it has nothing to do with the tile of the sector.
I'd have to check to be sure but the Cycloid is probably stayput by default, now that I think of it I used him in a map I made and he didn't leave that tiny sector I made for him and I don't remember doing anything special for that to happen.

>>3517054
It will be, one way or another

>>3517076
It's not out yet.

>>3517079
They ripped off EDuke32's renderer and dynamic lights. But they also hired the main dev of it for some work, which may or may not mean that they've got more plans for DN3D.
>>
>>3514732
>beef up a regular enemy
>call it a boss
>>
>>3517089
>>3516980
Cycloid Emporer can only move on sectors with a hitag of 3 (or 1, can't remember) Nothing to do with the floor texture.
>>
>>3515786
Huh?!
>>
>>3517119
it was lotag, just double checked and it's a lotag of 3.
>>
>>3516009
It's LARD, you dummy.
>>
>>3514880
you're thinking of a combat racing game, JSJ is still voice acting Dook.
>>
>>3514852
>original devs and composers
Wait, so 3D Realms made this? Given the current relationship between them and Bitchford, you can color me confused.

I'm also hyped for some original Lee/Prince material.
>>
>>3517359
>Lee/Prince
I meant Jackson/Prince which sounds much cooler than it really is.
>>
>>3517359
No, this has nothing to do with 3DRealms. Levelord and Allen Blum aren't part of 3DRealms anymore, remember, it went under and now it pretty much equals to Interceptor but as far as Levelord is concerned, pretty much he left in 1996, between the original DN3D and Atomic Edition; correct me if I'm wrong but I think he did some levels for the first Quake add-on and Sin.

Also I don't think either Lee Jackson or John St John were ever 3DR employees, just on their own being hired for some tasks.

And, except from Pitchford, those 4 are the only old DN3D devs who have worked on this.
>>
File: scammed again.png (110KB, 847x431px) Image search: [Google]
scammed again.png
110KB, 847x431px
>>3514724
hahhahahhaha
>>
>>3517741
It's not an uncommon practice to make add-ons/DLC with stuff that didn't make it to the final game.

In the Atomic Edition of Duke Nukem 3D, the new weapon, the Expander, was in the game at some point in development but was taken out. Several of the levels are also based on maps that didn't make it.

But yeah, here, it's so obvious that it's just a shitty Liztroop... Plus it looks unfinished, unpolished, reminds me of the PS1 port of the game which used unpolished versions of the enemies.
>>
>Port with Plug'n'Pray episode died for this
>>
>>3517783
It's still coming one way or another, probably even as a free mod.
>>
>>3514724

Saddest part is that this 100% confirms that we will NEVER EVER get that heta/alpha Duke 3D content that Interceptor was going to release.

Instead, we will get itty bitty pieces here and there unceremoniously shoehorned into future Duke cashgrabs. No one can leak them because they'd get su3d and the implementation of the early Lizard Troop would be evidence that they are indeed using these old builds for the current production of Duke 3D. I bet we will get a Duke Nukem 3D: The Lost Levels or something before too much longer, tinkered-with preproduction content bundled into little packages and sold for a profit.
>>
File: Hillary.jpg (15KB, 219x287px) Image search: [Google]
Hillary.jpg
15KB, 219x287px
>>3517798
>su3d
good on ya
>>
Weed jokes, seriously? It's a minor issue all things considered, but I really don't understand how that fits into Duke Nukem's macho fantasy style.
>>
>>3517802
Heh, that was just a typo unfortunately.

>>3517848

Normally I'd just write it off as a silly, colorful location since as far as I'm aware Duke just smokes tobacco, but you just know Duke is going to say "420blazeit" at some point.
>>
>>3517848
I wouldn't put it past Duke to smoke a joint and enjoy it m8
>>
>>3517798
Well why would they sell it for a loss, you fucking idiot?
>>
>>3518059
Duke is a man, not a manbaby. he won't be smoking pot.
>>
>>3518075

Because they overspend on development relative to revenue made from digital sales? To be fair, assembling beta content probably wouldn't cost too much in terms of development, but from what I recall some of it was said to not be in a ready-to-distribute form.
>>
>>3518076
fuck off quentin
>>
>>3514879
The issue is that there's no way that this isn't going to result in Randy Jewing out on them and it's well within the realm of possibility that this new version is going to be taken down so that another, more expensive one can take its place.
>>
>>3517848
If you check the gameplay videos of the first level of the new episode, he "smokes" some weed at some point (read= press a visible switch) and you get some kinda effects like he's high or something.

My main issue when I saw this all thing is that this has already been done in a usermap, except with alcohol, and it was executed MUCH better than this.

The main issue if I have with some of the stuff we've seen is that it doesn't feel pro, a lot of stuff just screams "usermap".
For instance there is a table football made out of enemy and pole sprites and which is not use-able. Then, the weed plant sprites are just regualr DN3D plant sprites. The pro way would have been to make dedicated sprites for this stuff, and to write new code to make the table football use-able like the pool tables.
This just screams "usermap", on top of the new enemy and new weapon screaming "mid 90's baby's first mod"... and in terms of usermaps and mods we've seen better, much better.
>>
>>3514750
Why does the chaingun (ripper) have a line through it? Don't tell me Gearbox fucked that up as well....
>>
File: mirage-barrage-trench-fighting.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mirage-barrage-trench-fighting.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>3519286
Oh boy, you're right, it also appears in one of the other screenshost; although it only appears in 2 out of 5 screenshots with the chaingun.
>>
>>3516032
>>3517218

What ever. That's not the point.

They are supposed to be captured police officers that the aliens turned into pig monsters. They're LAPD since DN3D was set there. If it's in Amsterdam, they should be Amsterdam police.
>>
>>3514715

when does this come out
>>
>>3519457
Oct 11th
>>
I don't see any sentry drones in these screenshots. Can't be fucked if these don't appear.
>>
File: mdsegr.webm (1MB, 745x530px) Image search: [Google]
mdsegr.webm
1MB, 745x530px
>>3519527
Yeah, thank god we have those amazing new enemies instead.
>>
>>3519553
The heck is going on? Is he supposed to pop around like that and not even look at you while he shoots?
>>
how is chocolate duke?
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.