[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the worst Enemy? Worst Episode?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 3

File: duke_nukem_megaton_logo.jpg (56KB, 960x544px) Image search: [Google]
duke_nukem_megaton_logo.jpg
56KB, 960x544px
What's the worst Enemy?
Worst Episode?
>>
>>3514140
>worst Enemy
Octobrain. Pain in the ass to deal with.

>Worst Episode
They're all good but L.A. Meltdown is the weakest imo. The latter ones are where it starts to get good.

Fug, gonna go play this now.
>>
The floating enemy with the missile or the pig tanks just for being damage sponges.

Worst episode is 2 or 4.

Also how the fuck did people play this without save States? In playing megaton edition and it has a neat little time slider if you die you can go back. I cant imagine having to restart the entire level from scratch on death
>>
>What's the worst Enemy?
Inflatable Sea Monster from Caribbean expansion pack, fuck that guy
>Octobrain. Pain in the ass to deal with
Wut? thats one of the easiest one do deal with, hide behind wall shoot, repeat.
>>3515704
And just by using keyboard, back then at beginning nobody played FPS games with mouse + keyboard.
>>
>>3514140

>Worst enemy

Sentinels by far

>Worst episode?

Lunar apocalypse
>>
>>3515704
>pig tanks
>not getting behind them and pressing the detonate button

Sentinels by far my least favourite, followed by the brown skellington drones.

Can't decide on an episode - they all have good and bad levels
>>
>>3515704
They had quicksave back then, you know.

I don't save much when I play Duke. The only things that makes me nervous enough to do so is tricky jumps and mini-Battlelords. It's just like any other game, you can avoid tons of damage by playing well and moving intelligently once you know the enemy rhythms. And stuff like the portable medkit gives you a nice fallback if you screw up.
>>
>>3515704
>Also how the fuck did people play this without save States?

I sincerely hope you're just fucking around right now and are not this blatantly ignorant.
>>
Worst enemy is Octobrain.
Worst episode is the one set in DC.
>>
>>3516414
Nuclear Winter is worse
>>
Lunar apocalypse is probably the worst. Still good mind you but the weakest, probably would have been better if it wasn't for the overuse of those exploding flying things.
>>
>>3514140
>worst enemy
Darth maul

>worst episode
>inb4 not retro
>inb4 muh pod racers
>>
>>3516485
>inb4 not retro

Phantom Menace came out in 99.
>>
File: e4m1_33_small.jpg (31KB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
e4m1_33_small.jpg
31KB, 500x370px
How are so many people complaining about the octobrain? Slow and easy to avoid, plus it only take one devastator rocket to kill them. Considering you can carry 99 minirockets for it, its pretty easy to take out a large group of octobrains with less than 10 minirockets. 3 shotguns blasts does the trick just as well, just one more than a pig cop but without being constantly shot at. Also, just use the shrinker on the assault commanders. There might be a few times they will surprise you, but most the time you hear them laughing way before you see them.

Pic related were probably the worst. Most enemies are really weak against one or two types of weapons, but these fuckers were just bullet sponges all around (and couldn't shrink them). Most the time you would encounter them close range so you couldn't use the RPG, so the chaingun was your best bet. But they took so many bullets that I felt I never had enough chaingun ammo. And there are levels where there are multiple of them chasing you while pig cops and soldiers shoot at you.

Episode 1 is probably my least favorite overall, even though the prison level is one my favorites. I hate the fucking San Andreas fault line level with a passion where you fight the Overlord at the end the episode. Also you don't really get the full variety of enemies and weapons as you do in the later episodes.
>>
>>3516506
Oh, and I forgot to mention that those fuckers will also shrink you and step on you.
>>
>>3516496
There are systems that came out in 99 that aren't allowed because they were next gen, like pm
>>
>>3516506

Brains are easy to flinch too, with the chaingun. I've never had a problem with them. Don't even have to get hitscanned like a pigcop or whatever.
>>
>>3516154
I just saved once a level or maybe right before parts where you can get squished really easy if your timing is off by a second when going through obstacles (swimming through turbines in the water, jumping through large pistons, etc)
>>
enforcers are Major Kunts, but still easy to deal with. single shrinker shot will do the trick, no sweat

nothing, and I mean fucking NOTHING will ever beat the kamikaze sentinels when to poor enemy design in a retro FPS it comes to.
>>
>>3518264
The design of the sentry drones is fine, they're just way overused. I don't know why the game likes to spam 4-5 at you at once. If a map uses them sparingly they're fine.
>>
>>3518354
they've way too many hitpoints for a kamikaze type enemy, at least that's how I see it

i think my distaste for them mainly comes from how much E2 likes to spam them in your way, half the times behind a closed door in smaller, more contrived areas

they're fine in E3 and 4, E2 is just downright awful with them
>>
suicidal robot bastards, they made this game pure shit, who though that giving suicidal enemies tons of hp is a good idea? they should die in few hits. worst episode is the space staton(second one?), i dropped the game there, pure shitfest, finding secrets was easier than progressing the level and the stupid robots everywhere. doom > duke nukem 3d.
>>
Doombabies... Doombabies everywhere...

For groups of Sentry Drones, use pipebombs.
>>
>>3518771
you are supposed to know in advance where they are to do that, if i played with save-scumming i wouldn't drop it, but if a game is not good enough to restart the level then fuck it.
>>
>>3518815
>you are supposed to know in advance where they are to do that

No, you're not.
>>
File: duke3d.jpg (195KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
duke3d.jpg
195KB, 1280x1024px
>worst enemy

Sentry drones. Fuck those things.

>worst episode

Lunar Apocalypse. I never liked that episode because of how colorless and dark it was. All the other episodes are set in real world or rel world inspired locations, the space station just seems so generic. Oh and this episode is full of sentry drones.
>>
>>3518842
i should dropa a pipe bomb around every fucking corner then?
>>
Lunar Apocalypse is underrated. Its level design is everything but generic, I feel like people who think that stop at the theme and textures and don't look beyond.
The fact that it's not grounded in realism made them go wild regarding layout, architectures and effects. There is tons of crazy stuff everyone, insane use of slopes (you need to realize that slopes were the new amazing thing at the time) and level layouts which have a greater Z-axis orientation than Quake and its 3D engine.

Also, enemy placement in EP3 is all over the place. Gameplay is much tighter in EP2 overall. Several levels in ep3 feel very rushed to me.

>>3518856
Holy shit, learn to play the game. Sentry Drones aren't the fastest enemies. See one? take out your pipebomb while stepping back or taking cover.
>>
>>3518867
>Sentry Drones aren't the fastest enemies
not saying you can't run away from them, but they are definitely one of the fastest enemies. have you played recently?
i did try pipebombs but it didn't worked, it's easier to just shoot them.
>>
>>3518891
>have you played recently?

I have never stopped playing DN3D since the shareware release. The hour count would be in the thousands.

Two quick pipebombs is one of the most efficient way to take care of them. Explosives are the best against them, and pipebombs they don't dodge like rocket; and drones often come in pack, pipebombs have the advantage of hitting several drones at once.

Shooting them with hitscan weapons may be safer, but it's also a lot longer. Don't complain they are bullet sponges when there are other, better means at your diposal to dispose of them. Even the freezer is more efficient than the chaingun against them.
This reminds me of Doombabies complaining about Blood because they're not used to be smart with their weapons. This isn't Doom, you don't shoot everything with the shotgun regardless of what are the enemies and what is the situation.
>>
>>3514140
I like Episode 2 the least, the other episodes take place in a lot of interesting and vibrant locations and 2 is kind of drab in comparison. Plus, some of the levels have very confusing layouts.
>>
>>3518867
>gimmicks out the ass like having to shoot buttons to cross gaps
>lol hitscan bosses every ten minutes!
>enemies spawning into a room you already cleared!
>more stupid frustrating shit
just accept you are a fucking hipster nesfag, it isn't underrated and you trying to overrate it is ridiculous
>>
>>3519105
I'm saying that the qualities of EP2 can easily be overlooekd when playing the game in 2016.

Nowadays, it is easy to forget that having all kind of crazy sectors effects, crazy Z-axis oriented level layouts, and sloped architecture everywhere, was something amazing at the time. You need to put things back in perspective to truely appreciate the game for what it was.

Now if you think any of the 3 points you brought is an issue, you must hate video games.
>>
>>3514140
Mini Battlelord
You either have shrinker or you can fuck yourself.
Lunar Apocalypse
Looks boring and dull, I wish the overall theme was wider, level design is really not enjoyable and those alien lairs are just awful, puke green plus shit lighting makes it as unpleasant as it gets.
>>
>>3519105
He is right, Episode 2 has some really cool layouts. The only level I don't like is Occupied Territory because I find the battlelords to be annoying, even with the shrinker.

I also don't remember these "gimmicks" you speak of, and shooting switches is pretty common in Duke, period, so that doesn't seem like a big deal at all.
>>
>>3514140
>Worst Episode?

LA Meltdown.

It starts on a 10/10 level. One of the best in gaming history. But the rest of the episode is dicking around in some canyon where everything looks the same. The other episodes just don't compare to the first one.

The other episodes that stay in LA are the best.
>>
>>3519210
>But the rest of the episode is dicking around in some canyon where everything looks the same
i liked the canyon, maybe becouse it reminded me of half-life. still holds better than lunar shite.
>>
>>3519238
>maybe becouse it reminded me of half-life
I actually kind of wanted to talk about this. I feel like Half-Life takes a lot of its cues from Duke Nukem's design. I can't remember specific examples anymore, but I played through Duke fairly recently and both E1 and E2 of Duke seem really similar to Half-Life (although I can't remember specific examples atm.) I might do a writeup on this later.

Something people don't talk enough about is how Blood has a lot of cues that are almost identical to Quake.

>>3519148
I agree with u man, Lunar Apocalypse is fun, and Occupied Territory and Dark Side are some of my favorite levels in the entire game.

That being said, sentry drones do suck. I know you should just use pipe bombs, but they're not satisfying to fight because the don't explode into pleasant meaty chunks after you fight them. They're kind of annoying and just not fun to deal with. Pipe bombs making them okay to deal with isn't the same as say, Pig Cops being fun to deal with with all of your weapons. Also, they're so small and they fly around, and if you're playing on the original DN3D looking around for them can be a pain, mouselook or no.

They're just stressful to fight and the reward isn't that great for beating them.

I don't like the Enforcers either, but that's just because high projectile output, low damage hitscan characters are annoying to deal with.

But it's a matter of opinion, I suppose.

>>3516506
whatchu talking about man, those things were fun as hell to fight because they had no weaknesses

you had to completely outmaneuver them, it made you think. After developing a strategy for dealing with every enemy in every context, using optimal weapons to dispose of enemies in a rote and boring manner, the game throws that into the mix, an enemy who you have no choice but to outmaneuver.
>>
Episode 2 is the best out of the original 3. Space levels are way cooler than boring city levels. Episode 3 is the dullest.
>>
>>3516424
nuclear winter had so much potential but ironically it's the level design that sucks dick

all of the enemies are kind of well put together (even if they were drawn over the course of 20 minutes in ms paint)

I wish the Santa fight at the very end had had a better arena. It's just awkwardly laid out, that entire level, and it ruins what could have been an amazing fight mechanically.
>>
>>3519285
NW is an amateurish, unfinished mess.

I think it lacked proper management. They didn't get their priorities straight, for instance in one of the levels you're going to find some insanely detailed light work on slopes, the kind of which takes forever to build and which is really annoying to make, but on the other hand you've got unfinished stuff.
For instance in the last level there is a path that opens in multiplayer, except it's a trap, you go down vents and can't get out ( Unfinished dead end).
Then in one of the levels, they accidentaly left a touchplate trigger in a sector where it shouldn't be, and it actually opens the door to the nukebutton (and that touchplate is near the start of the level...), in SP you most likely won't notice it because most likely you'd go through it twice, make it open and then close, but it can really screw up the game in multiplayer.
Then, some levels don't even have the correct number of co-op and DM spawn points.
>>
Sentry Drones, for something that suicides into you it shouldnt take 3+ shotgun shots, as well as the fact that episode 2 LOVES to put them behind doors

Lunar Apocalypse. All the levels just feel pretty samey, barring the secret levels.
>>
>>3518771
>Doombabies
on top of not knowing what the meaning even is (if there's one at that), you can't even get the fucking maymay right. I'd stop trying to pass off as a bully to a certain group of people if I were you, you're a fucking pinnacle of sperginess.
>>
>>3514140
octobrain for sure. obscenely loud, flies, ranged attack that does a lot of damage.

2nd episode was bad and mostly "skip it, the episode" except the spin cycle map which was fun multiplayer.
>>
>>3518771
>>3518842
>implying you're NESfag

You need at least five more paragraphs of inane rambling for something most people can explain in two sentences to be him.
>>
don't know why the octobrain is so hated. It scares the shit out of me when they spawn in behind you but it's attacks are dodgeable. Hitscan enemies are the worst.
>>
>sentry drones
cheese them with doors or thin walls
>octobrains
oneshotted by devastator, can even take out multiple with one rocket
>everything else in the game except the brown fucks in episode 4
shrinkray
>the brown fucks in episode 4
expander or freezethrower

get good, casuals
>>
>>3520636
Octobrains are probably my favourite enemy in the game, it's bizarre that people hate them. They used to scare the shit out of me, especially underwater in the dark.
>>
>>3521557
The worst part for me is how damn loud they are. They do that loud scream every time you shoot them
>>
Anyone else prefer the n64 weapon sets over the original? The grenade launcher is fucking awesome and fun as fuck, takes a little bit more to aim than the devastors that it sorta replaced. The akimbo SMGs look better than the chain gun. Plasma gun is significantly more useful than the freeze thrower. Plus you have dumdums and explosive shotgun rounds. The mossberg shotgun in the original is better than the shitty SPAS12 on the 64, though.
>>
>>3522130
nah i like the originals pretty much all round
>>
>>3522130
Only thing I don't like it how fuzzy the sprites look. Otherwise I mostly agree with you, don't like the plasma though. It looks ugly and is a much more boring, typical weapon than the freezethrower, which I use all the time.
>>
>>3522130
>>3522196
Oh, and I definitely prefer the classic RPG to the N64 one.
>>
>>3522130
I love the grenade launcher, tons of fun to use, although it breaks the balance. Otherwise I like the original weapons best.
>>
>>3515759
>And just by using keyboard, back then at beginning nobody played FPS games with mouse + keyboard.
lies, even in doom all tournaments were played with mouse and keyboard
>>
>>3522512
Do you wear that name for attention or do you actually think it has relevance here? It has been years now since you started namefagging and your name hasn't been relevant in years either. Fuck off and die
>>
>>3522576
>>3515759
Actually as far as DN3D is concerned, the norm back then for multiplayer was joystick + keyboard, which is however very similar to keyboard+mouse.

The reason to this is because: when you straferun (strafing + backward/forward at the same time) you get a speed boost of about 40%. When using a joystick, you'd get that speed boost all the time, even when not strafing.
>>
>>3522130
Some of the newer weapons are fun but I don't like the look of the shotgun sure the SPAS12 was so cool back then but dukes shotgun was even cooler. Also devastator was my favorite weapon and the RPG is nowhere near as cool as they are.
>>
>>3522576
I didn't have multiplayer in mind, almost nobody were interested or heard about tournament scene back then, multiplayer for most kids meant to play DN3D trough COM cable with their best friend.
>>
I played with a keyboard only for a long ass time. I didn't even find out there was mouse aiming till years later.
>>
>>3518867
Agreed, lunar apocalypse is fantastic. It even has that impossible 720 degree circle level.
>>
>>3520060
>on top of not knowing what the meaning even is (if there's one at that)
So you don't really know what it means yourself but you're telling him to get it right lol. He's using it perfectly correctly btw.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.