[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

King of Fighters Discussion Topic.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 29

File: maishiranuiass.gif (29KB, 162x142px) Image search: [Google]
maishiranuiass.gif
29KB, 162x142px
I am looking into getting into the King of Fighters series. All the installments beginning with 94 and ending with 99 are on the Virtual Console, so I would like to pick up one to try. Which one is generally considered the best of these?

Also, what game does pic-related's gif show up in?
>>
File: maiass.gif (149KB, 500x545px) Image search: [Google]
maiass.gif
149KB, 500x545px
So nothing to say?
>>
>>3511935
>Virtual Console,

Go to steam and get 98um or 02um
>>
watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r75Lz1Drp8g
>>
play 98/2k2 on fightcade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r75Lz1Drp8g
>>
>>3512024
i don't think so daddy
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG_HZE34GaE
>>
File: KOF 98 2.gif (37KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
KOF 98 2.gif
37KB, 320x240px
>>3511935
>Which one is generally considered the best of these?
KOF 98, it's the only kof that's thoroughly enjoyable, and despite of what anon says below this post it's the single KOF game that's most popular. I have been playing kof's since summer 94. Lately i dig kof 2003 more and more.
>>
File: ryo-fireball.gif (61KB, 183x133px) Image search: [Google]
ryo-fireball.gif
61KB, 183x133px
>>3511935
'98 only. Here's why.

KoF series started as an all-star battle between SNK heroes from the following games: Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Athena/Psycho Soldier, and Ikari Warriors. They also added original heroes: Kyo Kusanagi/Team Japan, Rugal, and some other characters.

—KoF'94 and '95 were very similar and felt close to Super Street Fighter II in many ways. The biggest problem was, they weren't balanced well. Art of Fighting team mostly owned everyone else in the games. Plus, the controls felt a bit clunky, and everything felt a bit rough around the edges. Very few if any people play '94–'95 today.

—In KoF'96, SNK made big changes. They aded guard rolling, hopping and other mechanics KoF is known for. KoF was now more plot-centered. Also, they redrew all sprites, the controls were made smoother, and the game became much more enjoyable. They've also shifted game focus from fireballs to close combat. But the balance was still broken.

—KoF'97 was more plot centered again. But at the same time, the gameplay got even better. Controls got even smoother, and SNK realized their "charging meter" system wasn't going anywhere, so they just added Street Fighter-style super bar. But once again, the balance was obviously broken, with some very nasty combos allowed.

—But in '98, SNK decided not to add new characters, and just make their Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. They took away all plot, but added almost all previous characters to the game. What's most important was that they finally focused the on balance, and fortunately, they've managed to fix it. The game finally became suitable for competitive play, quickly becoming a staple of tournaments. It's the only KoF along with 2002 to really attract serious players. They're also by far the most popular installments.

In '99 they were experimenting again. They took Marvel VS Capcom's striker system. '99 was very rough around the edges, with some VERY weird features. It was OK, nowhere near '98 though.
>>
>>3511935
>>3512278
Also, because of its status as a competitive game, KoF'98 has a thorough guide on Shoruken Wiki: http://wiki.shoryuken.com/The_King_of_Fighters_%2798:_The_Slugfest

Also, what >>3511978 said.
>>
>>3512278
This guy pretty much sums it up. But you may also want to listen to >>3511969. I don't know how good the net code on the VC versions are, but most of the older KoF ports on other systems were terrible and as a result no one really plays them online making the whole process pointless.
>>
>>3512308
Huh, I didn't account for it being on VC, that's true. But I'm reading that they were ported from AES, not from PS1/DC fortunately. So I assume this means no loading times.

I've seen people stream '98UM/2002UM and from what I saw they didn't have problems playing online. But AFAIK they aren't on available on VC. I guess the best available netplay option is still Fightcade, as it uses GGPO netcode. There are quite many people playing 98/2002 on it all the time.

In any case, OP, why not try KoF'98 on an emulator first and see if you like it? Neo Geo roms have been online since forever.
>>
>>3512339
It's not loading times he needs to worry about it's lag when playing online, or even the perception of it. If the VC doesn't have people playing regularly then even if the lag is decent there's little point.

Emulating and GGPO is definitely the way to go if he's serious about getting into the series.
>>
>>3512347
I don't even know if VC games have online, I never bothered with Wii. I read that they don't
>>
File: Ryo98_stA.png (3KB, 96x113px) Image search: [Google]
Ryo98_stA.png
3KB, 96x113px
Since it's KoF thread, let's have some discussion.

Lately I've really gotten into playing Ryo in '98. His far A comboes into HCB+B from absolutely everywhere. Cr. C is very fast and the range is huge for an uppercut. I'm not even talking about far B since it's pretty obvious. The only downside I see with him is that his proximity unblockable has really short range, I could be me but I never manage to combo it from anywhere. Didn't have this with Robert. Oh, and also his supers are kind of tricky.

Who do you main in '98 and why?
>>
>>3512396
I don't really have mains in KoF, I try to make a new team each match just for fun and like literally everyone in that game. But when I feel like pulling out all the stops I'll usually go with Athena, Iori, Orochi Yashiro.

Athena might be my favorite/best character in the series and I like using her first since the run away games and zoning are good for putting my opponent on edge and building meter to get a good start on things. Also if you can force them to the edge of the screen she can corner fuck pretty badly and combo into SCB.

Iori is straight up the best regular character in the game. If Anthea goes down I usually have an Iori with a good bit of meter and then play pretty rush-down, throw high/lows at them trying to catch something and then punish anything they retaliate with Aoi Hana.

If they make it through all that Orochi Yashiro comes in and goes to keep away pokes and countering with Tampering / Smothering Earth if they get in close.
>>
'97 is still super popular in mainland china. I always find that amusing.
>>
>>3512546
So is eating dogs and babies.
>>
File: KoF 97 Monaco.gif (178KB, 752x256px) Image search: [Google]
KoF 97 Monaco.gif
178KB, 752x256px
>>3512546
I wonder why… '98 improved on it in every aspect, it's much better balanced. I like the BGs in '97 better though, they feel truly huge and breathtaking.

The only thing I play '97 for is that broken Power Charge. Powah Chai! Crap Shoe! Crap Shoe! Voila, 9 hits and half the opponent's life bar is gone. It's a pity Crap Shoe is pretty useless in other games, unless you catch the opponent just at the right spot.

SNK, bring back broken Terry plz
>>
>>3512518
I'd play Iori in '98, but my fingers simply get tired of inputting QCB all the time. I'm playing on keyboard with Fightpad-like mapping though. In 2003 the input is more forgiving, but still I wish SNK made Aoi Hana input like that of Karin's rekkas in SFA3: you press QCF+P once, then you just press P for every follow-up. Or at least like Kyo's Aragami, where you need 2 QCFs instead of 3.

It's a pity because Iori cr. LP to Aoi Hana is a killer combo. Overall it's obvious Iori is a killer character, SNK never was shy of buffing their poster boys.
>>
>>3512604
You shouldn't be spamming anything that much. Besides, if your fingers are getting tired mid-match it might be time for another genre. I don't play on keyboard though. I have seen some people amazing with it.
>>
OP, the Mai's ass sprite is most likely a fan edit but the sprite of Andy recoiling in shock is from 99

94 is honestly not a good intro to KOF since it's so rough and it predates a lot of features associated with KOF today

The best choice to start with depends on what you want to get out of it; you're a lore guy play 97 or 00, if you're looking to play online or learn the game seriously then play 98 or 02, if you like broke games that have a lot of "dumb fun" mechanics then play 00, if you like the general "feel" of early 90's fighters then play 95

Actually, play 98 either way
>>
I know it's really unbalanced and shit but.

Does anybody else think that presentation wise KOF 96 is the best? I mean the backgrounds and music are just incredibly cool.
>>
>>3512641
I'd say 98 because it blends 96 and 97 and adds some more.

Also post themes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQfHIVMCO9I
>>
>>3512617
> You shouldn't be spamming anything that much.
Probably. But Aoi Hana deals best damage and is pretty safe (except from being punished by another Aoi Hana).

> Besides, if your fingers are getting tired mid-match it might be time for another genre.
Otherwise, I never have much problem except with rekkas. You don't exactly need to go full Van Halen solo on buttons in KoF. But playing with WASD, it so happens that for Aoi Hana I need 3 fast QCBs with my middle and ring finger.

Anyway I can't quit fighters, they're just too addictive.
>>
>>3512650
Japs never were too shy on pulling riffs https://youtu.be/5UFFa1HbFfA
>>
>>3512652
Ohh it's an amazing move, no question. But it's not invulnerable and getting into a habit of using it too much isn't good. Iori has so much other fun shit he can do anyways, I like when an Aoi comes out for it to be a bit of a surprise and hopefully OHHFUCKSHIT moment for my opponent.

There was a time I thought keyboard players were just too poor or casual to bother learning otherwise. Then I met a half Jap half Korean who only played key and was fucking incredible.
>>
File: kof96-stage-fatalfuryteam.gif (82KB, 752x224px) Image search: [Google]
kof96-stage-fatalfuryteam.gif
82KB, 752x224px
>>3512641
I also think so. KoF'97 made 2 big flaws: no music and some bland stadiums/arenas. '98 had empty stages, there were few people, except in Esaka; also it chose a more muted palette.

On the other hand, '96 had such memorable, soulful backgrounds. Cool short CG animations too. King's cafe was cool also, there's Ryuhaku in there too.

'99 was really cool too. The rainy stage is one of my favorites, and paleontology museum was super cool too. It's dark but cool.

After it that never really reached the same level of soulfulness, except maybe in 2002.
>>
File: Ryo98_hcbK2.png (6KB, 113x105px) Image search: [Google]
Ryo98_hcbK2.png
6KB, 113x105px
>>3512665
I think keyboard is great for KoF especially because of hopping. Having space for hop is really convenient IMO.

Also, the precision keyboard grants is great. Once I realized proper input/move "shortcuts" in KoF, it became intuitive. Not to mention pressing ABC is really easy. Of course it's even better in SFIII with EX moves.

> But it's not invulnerable and getting into a habit of using it too much isn't good.
He doesn't have much else to cancel into from light attacks. Of course you can use DP, but the damage sucks. Otherwise for fast attacks you're stuck with his close C, which has a pretty short activation range.

This is what I like with Ryo. When opponent spams annoying shit, I can punish him on block 90% of time with far A->B Hien Shippu Kyaku. It doesn't deal much damage, but it knocks down. While punishable, it's OK for combos.

Not many characters have something similar. With Kyo you have A/B to df+D cancel. With most other characters it's A/B to DP at best.
>>
>>3512665
Actually, I just tried it again, and I think I found a somewhat suitable solution. I just press/piano AC instead of A or C in the rekka. Comes out 90% of time now. Still not the easiest combo in the world but that'll do.
>>
OP, your .gif isn't from any of the games. Those are two separate animations, actually. Nude Mai is from KOF 2001/2002, where characters had an HSDM (secret secret secret special move). This is the ending of her HSDM. Andy's .gif is from KOF 99, from his intro with Mai (where she makes an illusionary baby).

>>3512671
You think KOF 97 has no music because aside from two or three pieces, almost every stage has a very faint ambient music.
Some of the songs that debuted in 97:
- Still Green (Shingo)
- Rhythmic Hallucination (Orochi New Faces Team)
- Bloody (New Faces Team)
- London March (Billy's theme, comes from Real Bout)

But yeah, even the version of Esaka in 97 (Esaka Forever) is incredibly weak. The intro is quite memorable, but the rest is just ambient sound.
>>
>>3512641
They took some cues from it in the two newest games (XIII and XIV). The final venue in both games is a stadium (like in KOF 96) because that was one of the coolest stages in the series.
>>
>>3512582
Maybe they like how broken it is?
>>
>>3512704
Could as well play hacks https://youtu.be/EN-dtQeS4Tw
>>
>>3512694
> You think KOF 97 has no music because aside from two or three pieces, almost every stage has a very faint ambient music.
Yeah, I know it technically "has" music. And that's exactly what's sad about it: the songs are all there; but they only play for few characters. All of this contributes to a rather weird mood, when you're ready to kick ass but get ambiance or some tribal chants instead of cool rock.
>>
>>3512724
The weirdest one is the "music" in the disco stage.
>>
File: fighting games fans.jpg (506KB, 1200x1350px) Image search: [Google]
fighting games fans.jpg
506KB, 1200x1350px
How fighting game player bases are reflected on YouTube

Street Fighter:
—"(Literally who) beasting compliation"
—"Daigo Umehara best wins compilation (45 hours)"
—"Ebin SFV mod :DDD Chunli gedding neggid :DDD"

KoF:
—"LEGENDADO paso a paso 100% combo de Iori"
>>
Post or your favorite KoF tunes. Hard mode: no ones from '98/2002. https://youtu.be/wLda-3aPW_Q
>>
File: mai-kof13-stance.gif (63KB, 157x195px) Image search: [Google]
mai-kof13-stance.gif
63KB, 157x195px
>>3512819
Latinos have patrician taste as expected.
>>
>>3513535
easy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8ZlT68DYZs
>>
I'm not a KoF guy but I'm interested in it. Any good hype videos? Preferably involving Geese?
>>
honestly i like 2K2 UM overall maybe not so much the music but the plethora of characters including nightmare Geese, Nameless, Omega rugal, and broken kasumi.
98 UM is the best KOF fighter if you enjoy the classic SNK since it offers so much in terms of classic SNK feel like music from games like Real bout, AoF 2, and older KOF titles and the ex version like Real bout 2 Geese and Real Bout Billy Kane.

but 00 and XIII are fantastic canon KOFs imo especially because Mr. karate and Goodbye Esaka.

KOF isn't too bad if you're looking for a change.
>>
How does KoF 98/02 compare to 11? 11's the only one I got and I like it, should I even get the others?
>>
>>3514002

Overall they're better but me and my chums got a lot of mileage out of 11 when it was new
>>
>>3513535
The staple: https://youtu.be/WV90sdhS5uo
And another one that never gets mentioned: https://youtu.be/riaa6W46pCg

>>3514002
11 is basically like if they made a spinoff of those two games, they don't have tag teaming but they also don't have nearly as much broke shit as 11 had; this is partly why they're still the #1 and #2 KOF games for competition

They each have their own strengths though I personally find 02's music and presentation very poor and it's the beginning of the modern KOF obsession with long combos, I'd say try 98 first

>>3512641
>wood panel title card with AOF team logo
>helicopter camera intro to the stage on top of a hotel
>music
>oldschool KOF character portrait style
>Shinkiro art
96 may be rough but it had the most charm, the next closest one in that department was probably 00
>>
>>3512278
I love when people give short descriptions of games like this
Can I trouble you to give me your thoughts on 2002 and 13? Any Anon can answer since i doubt this chap is around at the moment
>>
>>3513886
You only need one: https://youtu.be/7xnW_MrmiRU

For real though just watch any of the XIII finals from Evo '13 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jx1utz3hTA ) or the A-Cho sets of 98 matches (they're still recording new ones even): https://www.youtube.com/user/GAMEacho

This guy also archives a lot of matches from top players: https://www.youtube.com/user/Emillll
>>
>>3514341
02 is like hip trendy 98, some people prefer it because the system changes give it a different "feel" and because of certain characters 98 doesn't have (and vice versa) but it's not that hard to adjust between the two

13 is the peak of KOF combos becoming longer than they ever needed to be, that's really its only fault
>>
I'm mainly a Virtua Fighter player, but KoF is my favourite 2D fighter.

I personally love the 98 games the best (OG98 and 98UMFE), but I can also see how people like 2k2 and XIII.

I feel like '98 is the most neutral based, whereas 2k2 is a bit more combo heavy and execution heavy, and XIII veers really far into combos and meter management etc.
Also on a personal note I loved the EX Style System in 98 series, and the dichotomy between ADV/EX modes.

I really wish that XIV was more in line with '98 in terms of the mechanics, I feel they've overcomplicated it a bit.

Do you guys play offline? We still have a couple of 98 players in our FGC, even with XIV out. It's just one of those classics like ST that doesn't seem to die.

We had some absolute killer Hong Kong guys hanging around for a while that destroyed all of us in 98 and 2k2, which was fun to watch.

I'm a pretty ordinary player, but I really enjoy the games anyway.
>>
>>3514390
>I'm a pretty ordinary player, but I really enjoy the games anyway.
Same.
>>
I would advise against getting serious into these games though since steam and fightcade are filled with script kiddies and their combo macros.
>>
>>3512724
well, the bali stage went on to become xiv's final boss stage bgm and it worked fine imo.
>>
>>3512102
>>3514350
>Iksan Station
these always show up in every KoF thread
>>
File: studioagag4g2.gif (20KB, 63x103px) Image search: [Google]
studioagag4g2.gif
20KB, 63x103px
>>3513902
>and broken kasumi.

I wish Kasumi where more popular and in more games. Ive liked her since AoF3
>>
File: 472-Terry_Bogard.png (31KB, 102x150px) Image search: [Google]
472-Terry_Bogard.png
31KB, 102x150px
Anyone know where I can get a sick ass fatal fury cap like Terry's?
>>
File: terry-intro-kof94.gif (21KB, 238x202px) Image search: [Google]
terry-intro-kof94.gif
21KB, 238x202px
>>3514623

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Retro-Fatal-Fury-Terry-Bogard-Red-Cap-Hat-Andy-King-of-Fighters-SNK-snapback-/111487391932?hash=item19f52a98bc:g:wG8AAMXQVT9TBD9x

ebay has loads of em
>>
>>3514640
Hell yeah that's awesome. And yes, I am Mexican!
>>
>>3514654
>And yes, I am Mexican!

Im sorry.
>>
>>3513535
Not the arranged version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuMspVWT9Eo

also fav:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdEa37Qdx4U
>>
>>3514474
>playing with pubs instead of finding people to play on IRC or whatever
Don't do that
>>
>>3514816
Arranged doesn't have all the distortion of the arcade version
>>
>>3513839
Oh yes. '99 had some super fine music. https://youtu.be/Ygl2U-hnrbQ

AoF themes are '80s martial arts galore https://youtu.be/k12UcpCyJTA
>>
>>3514585
I kinda wonder if they wanted to put Kasumi in CVS2 but changed her to her father for shits and giggles
>>
>>3514552
Is that misheard "hissatsu"? Explain that meme plz.
>>
>>3514341
2002 was a second and to day last "Dream Match" game like '98, meaning it eschewed plot but put all (or almost all) of the characters from the previous games into one. SNK also decided to not reinvent the wheel again and "return to the classics" instead, so the game plays pretty much like the old '98, eschewing the striker system from the games that preceded it. However, 2002 made some additions (more apparent for advanced players): Max Mode allowed for longer and more complicated combos, due to "free cancel" system. Also added were hidden desperation moves.

Despite developed at times of turmoil for SNK, the quality of the game was pretty high, although it was in essence heavily updated '98, with some noticeable balancing for older characters (sadly, this can't be said about the newer characters). It's the second most popular competitive KoF from those which were still published on Neo Geo MVS.

XIII had a complicated story behind it. After the release of Street Fighter IV, SNK decided it was time to make a new KoF, but realized that a graphics overhaul was long overdue. Their previous attempts at going 3D were met with a lukewarm response, so perhaps this (and lack of money/staff) had driven them to keep the game fully sprite-based, but completely redrawn in higher resolution. Hence smaller character count, longer development time and changed art direction.

Despite the graphical overhaul, the game again felt pretty similar to "classic" '98, once again eschewing the previous system from 2003–XI (tag team). However, it made one big addition: HD bar. A lot like an improved version of max mode from 2002, it allowed for much longer, damaging combos. In result, the game's focus had noticeably shifted towards HD mode use.

Still, the balance in XIII was up to par to the competition, and XIII received a positive response from most players, earning it a spot at several EVO tournaments and a pretty big following.
>>
>>3514341
>>3515372
Also, slight addition about XIII: the game had a bit peculiar "nostalgia" vibe (in line with SFIV I guess). First, many characters went to their original outfits from '94, or even before that; second, SNK had added Raiden/Hwa Jai from the first Fatal Fury game, who haven't even appeared in KoF before (and weren't that popular in the first place). A few of the stages are actually remakes of the old ones, too.

But not only that: where since '96 KoF was mostly melee-oriented, XIII had surprisingly many projectiles in the game. Characters like Kyo, Terry, Andy, Yuri and Robert had suspiciously similar moves to their older appearances in '94. So in some ways, the game made deliberate references or even steps back to the oldest SNK fighters.
>>
File: Kasumi-galsislandtype.jpg (17KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
Kasumi-galsislandtype.jpg
17KB, 240x240px
>>3514585
She is in more games, just not what you think
>>
>>3513535
character select
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poCnSn_cK08

wish there was a game where every character has some kind leather or vinyl outfit and the music is aggressive like the that.
>>
File: AnotherKvsCool.jpg (35KB, 376x497px) Image search: [Google]
AnotherKvsCool.jpg
35KB, 376x497px
>>3515432
I have a cool story for you.

K' himself was heavily based of the character Cool from a game called Fallen Angel, or Daraku Tenshi (堕落天使). K's prototype, Another K' (appearing as striker in KoF 2000), is so similar to Cool, that even his artwork is basically an edit of Cool's.

This happened because in 1998, when Fallen Angels came out, its designer migrated to SNK, so it wasn't really plagiarism per se. Also, their moves are completely different. That said, K' still borrowed some mannerisms from Cool, like his thumbs down gesture.

By the way, Maxima was based on another character from fallen Angels, Harry Ness (although they look less similar, but they are both cyborgs). And of course, you can see Daraku Tenshi's gothic vibe in Krizalid, who took shoulder feathers from Cool and a coat from another character of the game.

Also, in case you didn't know, SNK initially planned to leave out Kyo and Iori out of the game entirely. But I guess the fans would kill them if thy did.
>>
>>3515468
I've played Daraku Tenshi before. I use the bum karateka guy cause of his hard knockdown kick he does when you make him do a stance.
>>
File: 1447089425495.jpg (16KB, 295x281px) Image search: [Google]
1447089425495.jpg
16KB, 295x281px
>>3515432
>>
>>3515473
I'd play it but mostly for education. The animation is obviously not near KoF, and I don't really see much gameplay value in it
>>
File: kasumi chaos 2.jpg (81KB, 630x1000px) Image search: [Google]
kasumi chaos 2.jpg
81KB, 630x1000px
>>3515138

Todoh sr does seem like an odd choice.

But hey she got to be in Chaos that was ....something

>>3515429

Ah yes. that thing
>>
>>3515787
I guess since SNK made it their duty to not let Ryuhaku in KoF, Capcom decided to give people what they wanted.

SNK has a strong rule 63 tradition: Kasumi, Yuri as female Ryu, Leona as female Heidern, Vanessa as female Rick Strowd, Hinako as a sort of female E.Honda and so on (that's why half the cast is female).

Now the rule is out of control. We have Alice in the same game with Terry. As if putting Nakoruru in KoF wasn't "out of control", ahem. Needs more Kyoko too.
>>
>>3515145
Ichigeki Hissatsu sounds like Iksan Station in Korean.
Every language has a bunch of these. In Portuguese, Clark's Running Three sounds like "Combo Industrial".
>>
>>3515893
Thought so, but thanks for clarification.
>>
>>3515871

I don't think people want Ryuhaku. I know it makes you think you're cool by asking for the old guy but AoF was hardly their mega popular series and I never saw anyone clamoring for the return of the stage 1 chump
>>
>>3516051
>I know it makes you think you're cool by asking for the old guy
Um, no. You got it wrong.

I simply read in interviews with SNK (made around KoF 10th anniversary I think) that they were often asked to bring back Ryuhaku. But they've made a running joke from it: instead he's always seen in the backgrounds. I think he's in every game.

Personally, I never cared much about him. Really, KoF has always had all my favorite characters, and non-favorites too. Kasumi is cool, but I already have like all my favorite heroes from Terry, Ryo and Kim to K' and Kyo, who are present in every KoF anyway.

I used to wish for Geese, but voila—he's in XIV.
>>
>>3512819
I really really, REALLY WANT TO KNOW!

How in the living FUCK did KOF exploded on Mexico?

Specially KOF2002, in my honest opinion, that game is not good at all, its basically KOF 98 part 2, but no nearly as good, plus its the game that killed arcades in mexico because its the only fucking game people went to play!
>>
>>3512396
I mostly played '02 throughout my youth and have just been starting '98 seriously not too long ago, but I typically go:

>starter: Iori
Great neutral game, and quite good at playing offensively with fast, safe attacks, as well as defensively with an ok zoning option and several better spacing moves. I have a hard time landing his supers, so having him in the spot least reliant on bar is handy as well.

>second: Kyo
At this point I either capitalize on a lead or try to just get the other starter the hell out, so a character that I can play offensively is handy. The rekkas are really nice when they collide and have lots of solid options for being led into in combos, and they're relatively safe if blocked. Whatever the double qcf super is called is good for chipping as well.

>last: Ralf
Being a slow charge character, he makes for good defense, and yet he also has good options for cornering and pressuring the opponent, which are both handy at about this point.
>>
File: Luketauntaun.jpg (97KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
Luketauntaun.jpg
97KB, 1000x750px
>>3516110
Well, a lot of people there just happen to like it.
Some stuff just happens to be liked in random countries.
For example, pic related exploted in japan from what I know. You can see a lot of creatures in their media influenced by it, in the top of my head, in trigun you can see some kind of tapir and tauntaun.
>>
>>3516110
Plenty pirated Neo Geo cartridges with which SNK couldn't do anything. Also, I heard arcades in Mexico were quite cheap. So, Mexicans, not being especially rich, quickly hopped on to the best fighting on the platform.

2002 is far from being bad. I prefer 98 too, but what makes you think 2002 is so bad when it's so similar to it? I mean, the bulk of the gameplay didn't change a bit, even the hit stun/guard stun are exactly the same for all moves. The controls actually got a tiny bit easier.

There are some pretty broken characters in 2002, like Angel, May Lee and Whip. But you know, '98 also had god tiers like Daimon/Iori, and obviously OP moves like Chris's CD.

It did feel slightly rough around the edges, mostly in presentation… But otherwise, it was pretty good.
>>
File: kof of the hill.jpg (163KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
kof of the hill.jpg
163KB, 1280x853px
>>3516195
That team is also strong in 98 but I'd flip the team order backwards in that game, Ralf has no need for specials/supers when he can just pop Max Mode at will and start spamming far C and grabs
>>
>>3516195
My advice: if you want tips, read Shoryuken wiki. Here are the links:
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Iori_Yagami_(KoF_%2798)
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Kyo_Kusanagi_(KoF_%2798)
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Ralf_Jones_(KoF_%2798)

Some other notes if you need them:

—Iori's strength is his ridiculous speed. His light rekka is one of the best punishers in the game, because it's extremely fast and reaches far too. Air f+B is really useful: the trick is, it deals much longer hitstun than air normals. His projectile is also one of the best in the game. As for combos, he has f+A command normal, which combos from lights, so it's used as combo connector to super or C rekkas. Really, he's a scary character, but pretty hard to truly master.

—Kyo's rekkas are very tricky. They're not Iori's rekkas, make no mistake. I mostly only use the first hit of qcf+A, as a poke of sorts, because the range of the follow-ups is very short. Qcf+C does more damage, but is obviously unsafe, so it should be used only in combos from C. Kyo is a very strong offensive character with many offensive options, like his air d+C; I used to play him, but he's really hard to master IMO, at least for me.

—Ralf is mostly based on his normals. They're super strong and mostly safe. But most of his specials are, quite frankly, garbage. With Ralf, you don't even need combos, just come at them flinging your fists.
>>
>>3516110
You had a new game every year, and the cost of replacing an MVS game was smaller than replacing a CPS-1/CPS-2 game.
>>
>>3516325
Huh, i remember when MVC1 was on a humble local grocery store on a home made arcade cabinet with no marquees, along with KOF98, and i liked MVC more, and this was in the year 2000, before multi-game arcades mind you.
>>
>>3516338
The arcade shop bought/rent MVC and left it there for 2, 3 years, while KOF was renewed every year. Every arcade I went to (I'm from Brazil) had those exact same games:
- some racing game
- kof 97
- the newest kof
- street fighter 2
- samurai shodown 2
- marvel vs capcom/vs street fighter
- cadillacs & dinosaurs
- some random beat'em up, like Captain Commando or one of SNK's
>>
File: annoyed jesus .jpg (40KB, 619x384px) Image search: [Google]
annoyed jesus .jpg
40KB, 619x384px
>>3516342
> kof 97
Why

I feel like they got it from the same sale, from the same pirates
>>
>>3516370
I also don't know why every arcade here (Guatemala) had KOF 97. And people loved playing it too.
>>
>>3516342
One was i talking was in Cd Obregon Sonora.
>>
>>3511935
Which are your favorite OSTs and ASTs?

In order of preference: '99, '96, '95, '97
>>
File: el-show-de-cantinflas.jpg (24KB, 482x370px) Image search: [Google]
el-show-de-cantinflas.jpg
24KB, 482x370px
>>3516110
Store owners would rent cabinets from arcade owners, which meant that you could find video games everywhere, SNK games were popular because they were constantly putting out new games and a new KOF came out every year, and every new entry introduced new mechanics and interesting characters, so we always had a reason to keep playing.

My friends and I used to visit several arcades across the city just to play with different people and of course, every arcade was sure to have the newest KoF (or even FF/SamSho), but finding the version of SFII you played regularly was almost impossible, so people started loosing interest in the series. Marvel games remained popular until MvC2 killed competition, tho.
>>
File: Neo-Geo_MVS.jpg (42KB, 344x599px) Image search: [Google]
Neo-Geo_MVS.jpg
42KB, 344x599px
>>3516751

The fact that you could have 3-5 games per cabinet was enticing too. Arcade machines are fucking big so you can only have so many games on the floor at once.

Considering how much a cab costs too it's gotta hurt to get rid of ones that aren't drawing a crowd
>>
>>3516751

Well fuck me, I was trying to remember what this show was for ages. My gramps picked up a tap at his local PX or somewhere when I was little.

was bugging me for ages.
>>
File: A la grande le puse cuca.jpg (263KB, 1080x652px) Image search: [Google]
A la grande le puse cuca.jpg
263KB, 1080x652px
>>3516751
I forgot to address this:
>>3516110
>Specially KOF2002, in my honest opinion, that game is not good at all, its basically KOF 98 part 2, but no nearly as good, plus its the game that killed arcades in mexico because its the only fucking game people went to play!

What killed the arcades in Mexico was piracy, by the time 2002 came out, most cabinets were simply modded XBoxes running emulators and of course, hacked roms, 2002+ being the most popular, since it had infinite supers and playable Rugal, which every scrub would proceed to pick and abuse, and it got real boring real fast

>>3516759
Official cabinets weren't very popular here tho, most places had theirs custom made

>>3516762
Cheers!
>>
>>3516773

did custom cabs only have one slot? Either way it's still preferable to buying a new machine every time a game comes out
>>
>>3516840
Yeah, almost all of them did, usually they looked like the one second from the left, sans the decals.

Even the nicer arcades reused cabinets all the time, the one I frequented the most repurposed an original MK cabinet for KOF 98
>>
File: mortal-kombat-arc-cabinet-6394.png (180KB, 497x750px) Image search: [Google]
mortal-kombat-arc-cabinet-6394.png
180KB, 497x750px
>>3516860
One of these, to be precise, they just switched the joystick panel for a generic one

Man, this thread is triggering my nostalgia something fierce
>>
>>3516860
third from left seems to make you stand really close with each other.
>>
>>3516860
one of my arcade pals offered to give me an astro city cab that he was going to teach me how to service and shove in my own hardware. sadly had to decline because I used to live in a fucking studio at the time. A month later he posted the craigslist listing on facebook selling it for $300 bucks. In my new place, I have plenty of empty corners but nothing I can afford to fill it with.
>>
>>3516874

Not gonna lie even the others have are a bit to close for my level of comfort. I got serious space issues.
>>
>>3516773
Welp, here in México in arcade places we did have official cabinets up UNTIL the early 2000s.

I remember the 90s and it have official cabinets including NeoGeo cabinets, and HUGE rear projection arcade settings that used to be reserve for live Action hologram arcades (oh and they have one of those Sega holographic games), then in the late 90s those huge flat screen tvs were used for the latest KOF/Capcom game.

I remember Kabuki klash for being colorful and you could play as a chick who looked like a dancer and even see her ass!

Then the compact japanese cabinets were brought over as an alternative and those were Sweet, but depending of the amount of buttons they had you could play just many games.
>>
>>3514654
I'm sure a super muscular imaginary caucasian fighter's attire is gonna look amazing on you, for sure
>>
>>3516956
>the compact japanese cabinets
you mean shitty ok baby bootleg cabinets? or real japanese stuff? latin america is full of those chinese knockoffs
>>
>>3516668
96 AST is eternal GOAT, ESAKA? is like, the official SNK track now, they always use it on their promo vids
best OST is 99 (with 96 OST just behind). Arcade KD0079 is pretty damn great, how to play/select gets in your head and pumps you for the fight.
>>
File: wizards88.jpg (190KB, 900x1238px) Image search: [Google]
wizards88.jpg
190KB, 900x1238px
>>3516201
>>
>>3512685
>He doesn't have much else to cancel into from light attacks.
Like I say, getting into the habit of just one thing, like only focusing on getting in and relying on light hits and canceling will make you predictable. Just because Iori is great at that doesn't mean that's the only thing you should do with him.

But anyways, the real key is just getting the pianoing down so you don't even think about it to make it come out, and that's just building muscle memory.

I agree with why you loke Ryo though. He's fucking awesome.
>>
>>3516978
Real japanese stuff, like the Astro city or even the megalos.

We used to have a shitload of those.

Now all i see are just the mexican made ones that look like ass.
>>
>>3517472
>Like I say, getting into the habit of just one thing, like only focusing on getting in and relying on light hits and canceling will make you predictable. Just because Iori is great at that doesn't mean that's the only thing you should do with him.
I agree to an extent, in this case. It can be predictable, but it doesn't mean it will be easy to punish. I'm throwing Ryo's LP which has a very good priority/range, his whole hand is invincible; it can stop a lot of stuff. Moreover, I'm also protecting myself from hops this way.

Even if the opponent predicts it, it's so fast I doubt he can punish it. Before he acts, I'll recover already. I can bait his rolls and throw him out of them, too.

Still, you never know what the opponent comes up with, but throwing LPs rarely kills anyone. With -1 on block and chaining, few thing can punish it.
>>
Best Iori theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXPcDwqTtlM
>>
>>3517634
KOF 99 had such an amazing soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVuon4OLtpE
>>
>>3517634
That riff

>>3517650
This tune, albeit short, has been stuck in my head, along with that TV static sequence: https://youtu.be/NeIXETZlOho

The intro is also amazing. KoF'99 had 10/10 presentation, one of the best in fighting game history. Too bad they fucked up the backdash
>>
Speaking of which, Fatal Fury also had excellent music. https://youtu.be/PaIjdrhCfZM .
>>
File: sokaku-rbs[1].jpg (630KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
sokaku-rbs[1].jpg
630KB, 800x1200px
>>3517739
RBS is where it's at:https://youtu.be/ZXvkHNu1EI0?list=PL-vD6rIjXrcLb8E8xZt5M96-YlMzg_52R
Honorable mentions to FF3: https://youtu.be/LrsPoTmjO5I?list=PLFC69CFE7E215DE92

When's Sokaku DLC in XIV?
>>
>>3517981
Don't think Sokaku is that important to SNK. Last time I saw him was in SNK Card Fighters on DS. He was one of the weakest cards… Which just goes to show, I guess.

But after all, his design is very basic, this is like the most usual Japanese monk you can see in games like Goemon. It's not like his moves were very special too. OK character, but never really caught on… Which can be said about most FF characters from Real Bout.
>>
>>3511935
kof98 imo
>>
>>3515138
On a similar note, was Choi meant to be separate from Chang at first, but they couldn't draw enough Choi sprites in time, so they made it so Chang could get help from Choi?
>>
>>3512278
Am I literally the only person in the world that liked '99 the most?

To me the four person three-fighter/one striker system was done extremely well. It also had imo a great cast that, admittingly, started to get more convoluted and bogged down in the franchise series, but I feel at was the last great kof before the end of sorts

98 is fine but I would love to find someone to vidyabro it out and play 99 with me on an occasional basis.....
>>
File: whip perfect.gif (281KB, 498x498px) Image search: [Google]
whip perfect.gif
281KB, 498x498px
>>3518258
>Am I literally the only person in the world that liked '99 the most?

I wouldn't call it my favorite but I can dig it and really do like a lot of characters the NESTS saga introduced even if the plot it self was nanners

really want Whip to come back
>>
>>3516969
Hey bud, Mexico is pretty diverse. Louis CK is MExican, for example, and I don't see anyone saying he isn't white.
>>
>>3517981
Raiden you are confused again, this is the KoF thread, not the MK one.
>>
>>3512546
97 is my favorite
>>
>>3519323
>Louis C.K.
>C.K.'s paternal grandfather, Dr. Géza Székely Schweiger, was a surgeon. Székely Schweiger was a Hungarian Jew whose family immigrated to Mexico
>>
>>3518276
I never got why people liked Whip. She looks almost like a deliberately bleak design. Weird moves, weird weapon. To each his own of course, but I'd much rather have Blue Mary/Takuma in XIV.
>>
>>3521326
shy girl meme
>>
>>3521375
She isn't really shy. That'd be Hinako or less so Leona
>>
>>3520750
You do understand that "Mexican" is a nationality, right?
Thread posts: 127
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.