[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was Ura Zelda?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

File: urazelda_insider.jpg (24KB, 460x157px) Image search: [Google]
urazelda_insider.jpg
24KB, 460x157px
What are some facts, rumors, and theories about Ura Zelda?

https://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time#Files_Replaced
All of these replaced files correspond to dungeons (including Bottom of the Well). If this is all it did, it seems like Ura Zelda was just remixed dungeons like Master Quest.

However, a few hundred kilobytes of extra scenes wouldn't require the 64 MB rewritable disk of the 64DD like Nintendo said Ura Zelda would. Nor would it be the "killer app" that would make people go out and buy the 64DD. It also wouldn't have taken that much longer to finish than the cartridge game.

Was it really just changed dungeons or was it something more?
>>
It was going to be a heavily remixed OoT
It got scrapped
A lot of the work done in it was salvaged into Master Quest

that's all
>>
>there are people in this world who still can't figure out what Ura Zelda was
>>
>>3511553
What was it then anon?
>>
>>3511137
It was supposed to add more trees and shit too I guess.
>>
>>3511615
Its nothing because it doesn't exist.
>>
Everything that exists of Ura was added to Master Quest. Miyamoto had some pie-in-the-sky ideas about persistent footprints and signs that weren't feasible, but it was never intended to be anything beyond a simple remixed version of OoT, akin to the Second Quest in the original game.
>>
>>3511661
>Everything that exists of Ura was added to Master Quest.

You mean except for all of the stuff that wasn't? Take a look at OP's screenshot. MQ only changed the actor/object placement within dungeons, it didn't add any actors.
>>
>>3511263
Alternative dungeons and new foes.
>>
>>3511661
Master Quest is officially Ura Zelda according to Nintendo, but it doesn't use any of the features of the 64DD or anything else that couldn't fit on a 32 MB cartridge. The game is the same size as Ocarina of Time.

Ura Zelda was going to have things that couldn't be done without the 64DD. Some old articles said it would use online access.
>>
>>3511670
Those screenshots aren't from Ura Zelda they are from beta versions of Ocarina of Time. Notice how the sword is on the A button instead of the B button like other beta screens of OOT. They wouldn't build the expansion off of a pre release version of the game. Ura Zelda is Master Quest.
>>
File: Zelda Ura Beta Screen.jpg (47KB, 300x220px) Image search: [Google]
Zelda Ura Beta Screen.jpg
47KB, 300x220px
>>3513325
The online access was discussed in one of the Nintendo Powers around that time after the 64DD was canned. They showed some beta multiplayer screens. Was a thread about this on v a long while back actually.
>>
I pretty much study OOT development and tbqh I have little clue. Over the years fans have misused the phrase so much. Many use it to discuss beta OOT but in reality it was an expansion pack. From what I know, it was never confirmed what the pack would be.
>>
>>3513386

This. The unicorn fountain was not meant for Ura Zelda. It is a beta OOT thing. People confuse Zelda 64, beta OOT, and Ura Zelda so often.
>>
>One of the few features that Nintendo® wanted to initially add involved new mask quests. Apart from the existing masks, Ura Zelda was to include many more -- some of which were no doubt included in Majora's Mask. Ura Zelda could not be played without owning Ocarina of Time -- and Nintendo® was hoping one would help sell the other. After literally years of delays, Nintendo® quietly dropped Ura Zelda from its release lists.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2001/09/15/hyrule-times-vol-4-cancelled-games?page=2

Master Quest didn't add any new masks.
>>
>>3515651
Well it doesn't matter if Miyamoto or whoever wanted to do that because per the link in the OP the DD functionality has been dissected and all it's capable of doing is replacing dungeon maps. So if they wanted to do that then the idea was canned before Ocarina of Time was even released.
>>
>>3511615
It's Master Quest, which is still called Ura in Japan.

When the Ura project was originally scrapped, most ideas for it were eventually funnelled into later Zelda games, such as Majora's Mask. Similarly to how ideas for Wind Waker's cut dungeons were funnelled into later Zelda games.

One idea that wasn't, was the remixed dungeons, which were, in all likelyhood, ported directly into an Ocarina of Time program from the expansion, with any 64DD dependant features replaced.
>>
>>3515726
>https://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time#Files_Replaced
Where does it say that, exactly?
>>
File: Miyamoto_Minitalk.jpg (788KB, 1900x2600px) Image search: [Google]
Miyamoto_Minitalk.jpg
788KB, 1900x2600px
>>
The mask quests turned into the concept for Majora's Mask.
>>
>>3513464
>master quest button colors
That's a rom hack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQfBO9Or0YQ
>>
>>3516621
We were ignoring the obvious bait good job idiot.
>>
>>3516371
I'm not going to fucking read you a bedtime story. It's only a few pages long read it yourself.
>>
>>3517025
I did. Nowhere does it say "The N64 DD can only REPLACE files, not add more content". In fact there is a whole expansion pack for F-Zero that uses the DD.

Your move, troll
>>
>>3518109
Are you retarded?
>>
>>3518124
Are you?
>>
>>3518124
>are you retarded?
That still isn't pointing to where it says the N64 DD can only replace content, not add new content.
>>
>>3518138
The ingredients list on my Frosted Flakes doesn't say it CAN'T make me gay, so maybe it can make me gay!
>>
>>3518178
Frosted Flakes has definitely produced some gay furries with a kink for bara tiger daddies.
>>
>>3518178
You say here >>3515726 that it is only capable of "replacing dungeon maps" "per the link in the OP". You made the claim and still have yet to back it up when called out on it.
>>
If the disk can only change dungeons, why was Miyamoto saying it will add more masks and new locations?
>>
>>3519424
Exactly.
>>
It has long been rumored that Ura would tie up the "loose ends" in the game: unfreezing Zora's Domain, beating the Running Man, and adding new quests and items, maybe even new dungeons.

I heard that the content added by Ura would be more than the content of the original OoT.
>>
>tfw miyamoto has a copy of a finished Ura Zelda locked away in his safe

>a game SO exclusive only he is allowed to play it
>>
>>3521334
>tfw he has Mario 64 2 beta as well
>>
There are no theories or rumors to discuss. Ura Zelda is literally Master Quest, and it's available to play right now. I guess the hype and mystery got so big that people simply refuse to believe it wasn't anything more than remixed dungeons.

1. Master Quest is literally called "Ocarina of Time Ura" in Japan. I don't know why anyone needs more evidence beyond that, but alright.

2. Miyamoto stated ages ago that the Ura expansion had been complete for a while and they were just waiting for the right time to release it as a stand-alone game. That time came on GCN with Master Quest.

3. Most damning of all, we finally have OoT's 64DD functionality laid bare and what a surprise: it just replaces dungeons with new data taken from disk.

I guess this is just one of those overblown rumorfests from the old days that'll never go away. Misinformation has already permeated to the core, and there will always be people out there who think Ura Zelda is some fantastical Ocarina of Time 2 that changed the entire game and gave it a new story. But you already have that, too: it's called Majora's Mask.
>>
>>3518242
I'm not that anon, but come on. The information is right there. I'm not sure how much more you need it spelled out. I'll do it for you anyway, but please try to think for yourself sometimes.

OoT's 64DD functions are contained in ovl_64dd, a file that is coded to simply replace certain maps in the game with new maps read from the disk. The list of maps which can be replaced is predefined in the cartridge itself, so only these maps can be replaced.

The list is as follows:
>ydan_scene (Inside the Deku Tree)
>ddan_scene (Dodongo's Cavern)
>bdan_scene (Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly)
>Bmori1_scene (Forest Temple)
>HIDAN_scene (Fire Temple)
>MIZUsin_scene (Water Temple)
>jyasinzou_scene (Spirit Temple)
>HAKAdan_scene (Shadow Temple)
>HAKAdanCH_scene (Bottom of the Well)

So basically, just the dungeons. Since this list is predefined by the cartridge, the disk is not able to insert more maps or features than what's already on this list. It was only ever meant to be a map expansion pack.

Any other claims Miyamoto made were ultimately scrapped or funneled into Majora's Mask (like the new masks). Miyamoto also said back in 2000 that Ura Zelda was already complete, and they eventually did release it. Master Quest (known as "Ura" in Japan) is literally Ura Zelda in the flesh. Go play it and have fun!
>>
Wasn't it supposed to feature object permanence?
Like the signposts your chop down remain chopped when you roll back into town (or where ever)
>>
>>3522394
Yeah, I heard it also let you boot up and play Super Mario 64 in its entirety when you used a new TV in Link's house. I think Miyamoto said this in a 1982 interview or something.
>>
>>3522394
I think you're right.
But that's an awful idea. How are you supposed to read it afterwards?
>>
>>3522392
This just in! A file that was never released contains information that's contradicts proven functions!

Go troll somewhere else, fag. Master Quest isn't Ura.
>>
>>3522623
What's it like to be dense?
>>
>>3522394

No, that was Zelda 64 aka very early OOT.
>>
>>3522407
>But that's an awful idea. How are you supposed to read it afterwards?

Play Zelda's Lullaby and the sign will repair itself.
>>
>>3522623
What are you even talking about? The 64DD functions are right there in the game. It has very clear limitations.

And like that anon said, Master Quest is literally called Ura Zelda in Japan. There is no ambiguity to this.
>>
>>3523167
I did this constantly as a kid. Breaking the signs in as many ways as I could and trying to get the pieces to land far away so I could watch it come together.

It's the little things.
>>
>>3522634
You would know.

>>3523596
Yeah, and the PS2 DVR combo was called the PSX. Names get recycled, it happens
>>
File: ahaha.jpg (23KB, 480x472px) Image search: [Google]
ahaha.jpg
23KB, 480x472px
>>3523839
>>
Has anyone ever seen a 64DD Ura beta screenshot made after OoT was released on cartridge?

As >>3513386 pointed out, the OP screenshot has the sword on A, so that was before OoT was released.
>>
>>3525263
There were only ever interviews about it. Never any screenshots or anything.
>>
>>3517025
>*unsheathes katana* heh, when will u learn, kid...
>>
>>3523839
This has to be bait
>>
>>3525263
Never saw it.
>>
>>3523596
There's some evidence that Master Quest isn't the full Ura Zelda.

Miyamoto said, after OoT was already released, that Ura would add new quests and masks. If the code could only load dungeons, why would he say that?
>>
>>3528576
Because he's a fucking idea guy. Do you think he wrote a single line of code for that game?
>>
>>3528576
that shit got funnelled into majora's mask, ya dip
>>
>2017-1
>never played any zelda game

where do I start?
>>
>>3532181
Zelda 1
>>
>>3532181
any game you want, they are all barely connected with each other. don't play the first one unless you are willing to read guides, it's cryptic as fuck.
>>
>>3528604
I don't think he wrote any code but I think he would know what was possible.

Miyamoto said in interviews that the game will include some of these features.
>>
We need an image explaining what isn't Ura Zelda. The unicorn fountain isn't Ura Zelda, the triforce isn't Ura Zelda, the blue fairy isn't Ura Zelda, etc. They're all beta OOT.
>>
>>3532181

I recommend timeline order but you can honestly play in any order. I just recommend playing OOT before TP and WW, and WW before Spirit Tracks and Hourglass.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.