[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PS1 FPSs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11

File: Medal_of_Honor_Underground.jpg (178KB, 400x393px) Image search: [Google]
Medal_of_Honor_Underground.jpg
178KB, 400x393px
So I've been wanting to play some old school first person shooters on the PS1 lately; been thinking of grabbing this to give it a play.

Which first person shooters for the PS1 would you recommend?
>>
That one and Medal of Honor: Underground are both very cool. Gotta look past the jankiness of the engine and appreciate the awesome sound effects and atmosphere.

Disruptor is a very good FPS. Looks good, runs well, great mission variety and has a gun/psionics dual wield setup. Also deliciously hammy FMV acting.

Alien Trilogy is kinda weak in a lot of ways, mechanically, but it's still pretty cool if you're an Alien fan. Just don't expect it to feel like the AvP marine campaign.
>>
>>3509251
alien trilogy also has awesomely good music
>>
>>3509219
The Ultimate DOOM is a must play for FPS fans in general. PS1 port is great, totally worth it if you've never played Doom.
>>
File: latest_1.jpg (350KB, 999x1454px) Image search: [Google]
latest_1.jpg
350KB, 999x1454px
Doom: Custom PlayStation Edition is the best console port of Doom IMO. It also has sick as fuck cover art.
>>
>>3509219
Powerslave is fantastic.
>>
quake 2 is great on the psx and i heard alien trilogy plays like doom when you turn on codes
>>
Men in Black The Series: Crashdown is also pretty fun for any MIB fans out there. A bit simple, but great fun nonetheless.
>>
>>3509219
You should play that one for the last three levels alone
>>
>>3509219
MOH and MOHU are still unmatched in terms of the atmosphere. I yearn for another ww2 game that has that borderline spooky atmosphere without going into actual surreal territory.

Weapon sounds are beefier than 99% of shit that came after, especially Garand and STG. I loved how every SMG had different recoil and sound, you could actually tell shit apart.

Also enemy AI was so ahead of the time, with small details that nobody else bothered to do even today.
>>
File: ps1_descent-120314.jpg (78KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
ps1_descent-120314.jpg
78KB, 600x600px
>>
>>3511326
I only played Underground, how does MOH compare to it?
>>
File: 1129020-007worldisnotpsx_1[1].jpg (62KB, 640x627px) Image search: [Google]
1129020-007worldisnotpsx_1[1].jpg
62KB, 640x627px
Essential ps1 FPS coming through, and also one of the top Bond games ever. N64 version can go fist itself.

Very very atmospheric game. The only downside is that couple of levels have really abysmal framerate, namely the hostage rescue mission but it can be powered through. The stealth mission with phone bugging is top tier.
>>
>>3511347
MOH is the prequel. It plays absolutely the same, HUD is the same, control scheme is the same, soundtrack is done by the same dude.

MOHU has a tad bit better textures for the hands model that holds the weapon. Also in MOHU you have limited max ammo capacity for weapons, in MOH that wasn't the case. You will find yourself carrying more than 600 rounds for SMGs on certain points.

Also you play as an american in MOH so obviously there is a bit od difference in weaponry.. you use 1911 and M1 a lot instead of p08, and Tommy gun instead of MP40.

I'd go as far to say that it has couple of levels that are longer and more challenging than anything on the MOHU. It has a very, very neat sneaking mission on an enemy boat, some neat forest levels, you will also be sabotaging the norwegian heavy water factory among other stuff. It's done rather well.

I'd even go as far as saying that MOH is a bit more eerie in atmosphere compared to MOHU because in MOH you are always alone, whereas the sequel introduced a lot of NPCs at all times around you.

They are basically same shit and if you liked one you will definitely enjoy the latter.

Also it will make you realize how many ideas/levels were simply remade on MOH Frontline on ps2.
>>
File: tom_clancys_rainbow_six[1].jpg (79KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
tom_clancys_rainbow_six[1].jpg
79KB, 600x600px
Its borderline unplayable with weird as fuck control schemes but it really fueled my tacticool boner back in the day when I only had my ps1.

Also comapred to all the other ports, only ps1 got actual ingame models.
>>
>>3511363
Sounds nice. I'll give it a go after I finish MOHU (just picked it up recently)
>>
ICH BIN DER PANZERKNACKER
>>
>>3511404
If by poor man's you mean Goldeneye with dual fucking analog controls, then sure.

Lackluster multiplayer doesn't really mean jack shit, and thats the only advatange Goldeneye had.
>>
File: 1470262538211.png (237KB, 600x576px) Image search: [Google]
1470262538211.png
237KB, 600x576px
>>3511326
>Krauts kick nades back at you
>>
>>3509710
Quake 2's controls are absolute fucking cancer unless you have or emulate a Playstation mouse.

>>3509219
Alien Resurrection
>>
>>3511427
>kraut dogs bring back tossed nades to you
>krauts jump on the nade to save their buddies
>krauts muscle spazm sometime while dead and keep firing as they fall
>krauts actually go fucking prone to fire at you, sometimes they also strafe
>if you whip out the bazooka or panzerfaust while inside a room or a building, or just generally near a kraut they will panic and run away from you
>still no other game to feature krauts on motorcycles and side cars
>>
>>3511440
>krauts stop and pose for you if you pull out the camera on those missions
>you can actually temporarily blind them with flash if you take a picture
>>
underrated game with ps2-like modern control scheme that actually works
>>
>>3511434
>Quake 2's controls are absolute fucking cancer unless you have or emulate a Playstation mouse.
How bad are we talking?
>>
>>3511574
By default it's the typical Playstation pad controls which is not what you REALLY want
>d-pad to run and turn
>L2 & R2 to strafe

The closest you will get to desirable controls is
>d-pad as WASD
>right stick as mouse look
>L2 to shoot
>no sensitivity options so shooting is ass anyway

Using mouse mode is pretty okay, but even at the lowest sensitivity it's still a bit too fast than I'd like it.
>>
File: 51809-Alien_Resurrection_(E)-1.jpg (40KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
51809-Alien_Resurrection_(E)-1.jpg
40KB, 400x400px
>>3511434
>Alien Resurrection
My nigga.

Best FPS on PS1 hands down. And one of the first to use the dual stick control scheme, pretty challenging, great graphics, great sound and great gameplay.
>>
File: snapshot.jpg (27KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot.jpg
27KB, 720x480px
>>3511442
Amateur!
>>
>>3509292
No music, tho.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (89KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
89KB, 1280x720px
Brahma Force

Jap-made FPS. Levels are short and consist mostly of big rooms with platforms, or a couple of corridors. The shooting part is not that great, but the combination of shooting and jumping puzzles is pretty okay. It really is one of those weird PS1 games.
>>
>>3511645
>one of the first to use the dual stick control scheme
Isn't it actually the first?
>>
YOUR PAPURS AR IN ORDUR
>>
>>3512987
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambient_music
>>
>>3509219
>Post-WWII LAW
>holding daintily
>not at the tank
>rocket trail makes 90° turn immediately out of the barrel
>>
I remember Armorines was pretty good. Don't know if it is playable now.
>>
>>3512986
remember getting stuck on that level as a non-english speaking kid because I couldnt figure out that I had to blow up manually all those ammo boxes
>>
>>3511645
>>3511434
Alien Ressurection, good ?! What are you guys smoking. Combat is atrocious.
>>
>>3515207
Honestly first person shooters on Playstation for me is all about discovery and seeing how it fares, so regardless if it's actually a great game or not doesn't really matter. Recommendations are basically "hey check this out because it's a FPS for PS1." If people wanted a solid and proven FPS experience, I'd recommend a N64 instead altogether. I haven't played enough of Alien Resurrection but I think it's good enough to recommend OP to check it out.
>>
>>3515234
This. n64 had two or three shooters and they are all the same.
With ps1 you get more quantity, more quality overall and definitely ten times more diversity because there are no two games that are alike
>>
>>3515245
>This. n64 had two or three shooters and they are all the same.
>With ps1 you get more quantity, more quality overall

Ahh Sonyfriends. This is particularly hilarious considering that N64 has the only two console shooters of that generation which could be considered "must plays": Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.

The Turok series plays nothing like those games. Hell, Turok 3 doesn't even play like the first two. Also N64 has the only version of TWINE worth playing

PS1's FPS selection isn't horrible, but seriously, come on now.
>>
>>3513394
I played the n64 version years ago and liked it and tried the ps1 version recently but the controls are fucking horrible, which made it unplayable for me.
>>
>>3511434
>Quake 2's controls are absolute fucking cancer
THIS. What the fuck is up with that stick layout? Makes no sense and it can't be customized. Right is look left/right and move forward/back? Retarded.
>>
>>3515264
>Also N64 has the only version of TWINE worth playing

Ahahaha this delusion
>one stick
>worth playing
>>
>>3515283
TWINE on PS1 looks like shit, plays and sounds like shit. There's a reason it got panned in almost every review while the N64 version got praised.

It's better to have one stick for FPS than poorly implemented controls for two sticks.
>>
>>3515293
That's a really invalid argument since TWINE plays just fine with a dpad.

also

>ps1 era reviews
You mean same ones who trashed the Alien Resurrection's "weird dual analogue stick control scheme" ?

Fuck off
>>
>>3515296
>That's a really invalid argument since TWINE plays just fine with a dpad.

So? Every N64 FPS uses the C-buttons which work like a d-pad.

>You mean same ones who trashed the Alien Resurrection's "weird dual analogue stick control scheme" ?

You can cherrypick the one review that found the controls unfamilar. They still thought the game itself was pretty mediocre.
>>
>>3515315
>you can cherrypick one

Dude most reviews from that time were shit and cannot be compared to actual objective well written reviews.

You are clearly a biased nintoddler so please just leave it out.
>>
>>3515320
>Dude most reviews from that time were shit and cannot be compared to actual objective well written reviews.

What, opposed to the reviews now where the art of corrupting game reviews has been perfected over the years?

There is literally no reason reviewers would arbitrarily shit on the PS1 version of TWINE and not the N64 version.

I'd like to see what you consider to be a "objective well written review".
>>
>>3515320
Reviews from that time didn't fail math class and understood that 5/10 was average.
>>
>>3511447
Loved this game, picked it up at blockbuster when I was in middle school, never seen anyone mention it once before
>>
>>3511371
Spend on that training level hours, no idea why it was so convincing despite horrible graphics.
That first level when you had to save hostages and plan everything was the most immersive thing in shooters since MOHU for me.

>>3513018
>Isn't it actually the first?
MOH have dual stick control, you just have to select it from the options and if you use epsxe then you have to download lillypad or some other plugin that allow you to disable deadzones (default epsxe has abysmal deadzones)
>>
>>3517481
If we are talking about ps1 R6, I vividly recall mastering the controls back in the day with one of the alternative key configs. However my simple child mind couldn't figure out the sneaking mission with the elevators so I never finished the game.

Lost my copy since and it doesn't work on POPstarter.
>>
>>3511434
Actually bought my PS1 mouse the same day I found a used copy of Quake 2, so I'll never know any other way to play. I wish Final Doom PS1 used the mouse this well though, christ you're almost better off just sticking with the controller for that game.
>>
>>3515385
Achieving 50 out of 100 in school is called the minimum passing grade, a hairline from outright failing. It is anything but average.
>>
>>3512987
>Not just popping on Doom soundtrack.
>>
>>3517926
Here in the good ol U S of A it was 60 when I was in school.
>>
File: hurr_graph.png (16KB, 634x571px) Image search: [Google]
hurr_graph.png
16KB, 634x571px
>>3517926
He didn't say 50 out of 100, he said 5 out of 10. What is it about scores that makes people's brains stop working? Test scores in school are a percentage and you fail because getting half the questions wrong is a pretty sad ratio. A scores of 5 out of 10 doesn't indicate that the game failed at half the things it was supposed to do. It's not answering math questions. Is one thumbs up instead of two a 50% failing score? No, that's fucking retarded.

Percentile scores are the dumbest thing to ever be slapped on reviews. It makes readers' heads turn to mush.
>>
>>3513340
It's a panzerfaust post-firing...
>>
>>3513018
This > >>3517481

>>3515207
If you were a noob pleb I guess, I never had a problem getting headshots, in fact, against infantry or guards, you pretty much had to do headshots only cause they deal a lot of damage.

Once you play Alien Resurrection you realize how borderline unplayable every other FPS on ps1 really is.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.