[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth it? Thing is getting up to $90 range.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

File: segacd-int_1224113255.jpg (44KB, 460x212px) Image search: [Google]
segacd-int_1224113255.jpg
44KB, 460x212px
Is it worth it? Thing is getting up to $90 range.
>>
File: download.jpg (9KB, 208x180px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 208x180px
Get it. Lots of great 2D games....all that sprite scaling....and it's also home of heart of the alien
>>
Well, it doesn't have copy protection so you don't have to buy the over-priced games.
>>
>>3508780
>>3508782
>using add-ons with the Mega Drive
plebs
>>
File: 1472501809514.gif (496KB, 400x226px) Image search: [Google]
1472501809514.gif
496KB, 400x226px
>TUMORWARS!
>TUMORWARS!
>TUMORWARS!

Jesus Christ this place is going downhill fast...
>>
>>3508793
That's the plan but is there a decent and unique library to justify that price?
>>
If you're willing to take a chance on an untested one you can still get a good deal. I got mine plus a model 2 Genny for about $50. Honestly though, I probably wouldn't have bothered if I didn't already have an extra AC adapter and if I had remembered it was region locked.
>>
>>3508829
The read times on Kega Fusion are identical to hardware.
>>
>>3508850
Maybe you should have 'membered that you can region patch isos before you burn them.
>>
>>3508935

I do, but I wanted to buy some cheap Jap games. If you're not going to buy any games, you might as well just emulate.

I may still pick up some cheap US games. Dracula Unleashed is supposed to be good, right?
>>
>>3508852
Wrong, Kega has a well known problem wherein it doesn't properly emulate the latching times on any of the shift registers causing slower read times then actual hardware
>>
Anyone know where I can find the region free bios someone made to flash to a chip?
>>
>>3508782
considering the 32x has no games, you're wrong!
>>
>>3509183

Are you being contrary for the sake of being contrary or something?
>>
File: 1445045293722.gif (834KB, 440x248px) Image search: [Google]
1445045293722.gif
834KB, 440x248px
>>3509193
>I'm a gigantic faggot. Please fuck my face.
>>
>>3508954
>If you're not going to buy any games, you might as well just emulate.
Dude that's not true at all. You could still buy the games then rip and patch them yourself or in nearly all cases you can bypass the region locks with a Game Genie

https://www.gamefaqs.com/genesis/916377-genesis/faqs/60595
>>
>>3508780
If you have some soldering skills, you can try buying one with a blown fuse for cheaper and fix it yourself
>>
I got one that the guy on eBay said was broken for $40 and replaced the fuse and now it works fine. It's not that hard to do. I have both add-ons now, but while the 32X may have good arcade ports, Sonic CD, Android Assault, Final Fight CD, and Popful Mail make the Sega CD the better add-on.
>>
>>3508963
Well that kind of reinforces my point. In that it is certainly not faster.

There's some sort of meme about SCD having long loading times which is rather baffling because it does not.
>>
I bought one out the back of a guys car for $30 around 2005~. As a genesis kid it was something I always wanted. CD based games were like fucking magic to me in the early 90's. If you have nostalgic memories like that then go for it.

I'd much rather have a cdx.
>>
>>3508828
Some games you might want to check out:

Dark Wizard
Dungeon Explorer
Popful Mail
Prince of Persia
Rise of the Dragon
Robo Aleste
Samurai Shodown (long load times though)
Shining Force CD
Silpheed
Snatcher
Sonic CD
>>
>>3508780
$90 ? YOU RUCKY BASTARD!!!
The model 2 is atleast 200 euros on ebay and the model 1 is 300, USED. Used means pre-pwned, which means SOMEONE OWNED IT BEFORE YOU CAN OWN IT.
>>
Picked up a Genesis + Sega CD Model 2 combo off some guy on CL for $30 because he said the Sega CD was broken. Fixed the Sega CD in a few hours.
>>
>>3510209
I got a Model 2 + a spare Megadrive for 70€ like three years ago.
>>
Why are we discussing what we paid for our Sega CDs now? LoL

>Model 1: $0 stole from the coke-head owned video game store I worked at in 1998
>Various model 2s: $2-$5 at thrift stores in the early to mid '00s
>X'Eye: $20 console only as-is from a girl I was banging right before she quit her job working for another douche game store owner

I blew the fuse in the model 1 soon after I bought it by running the Genesis and Sega CD off the same power supply. I've never even tested any of the model 2s but it sounds like maybe I should. The X'Eye didn't read discs.

When /vr/ came around and got me interested in my real hardware again I fixed that fuse and the model 1 worked for about 10 minutes before its caps failed. As a test, I switched out lasers between the X'Eye and a known working Saturn and then both consoles worked fine. Been enjoying the X'Eye a lot. It's much better built than Sega CDs - more like a 5th gen console.
>>
seriously if somone would offer me a sega cd for around 70 e i'd take it in a heartbeat BECAUSE this THING plays CD-R's!!!!!!!
>>
CD-RRRRRRRR's FUCKERMOTHER
>>
>>3510258
What did you do to fix it? I'm just worried about the laser dying or the thing being shipped poorly.

Also, does it work to play CD 32x games with an everdrive and a burned game? I've got the everdrive for saves, so at least I don't need to care about the CD's battery.
>>
>>3508780
It sucks ass.
>>
>>3510296
You have like a 70% chance that it is a bad fuse. Not even joking.
>>
>>3508780
I bought two back in the day. It was a neat system, but I wouldn't recommend buying one physically now unless you're really into collecting. The only things really worth playing are like Popful Mail and Flink that will now cost you far more than the system itself. If you like JRPGs though it has some quite neat ones.

You could go the rout of burning games for it, but then you may as well just emulate and bypass all that bullshit.
>>
>>3510296
You'll need a 32x to play 32x games even with an Everdrive
>>
>>3509814
CDX is cool, but the Genesis 1 has better sound for Genesis games.
>>
>>3510091
And Lunar
>>
>>3508780
$90 is kinda pricy. I'd look around for an untested model and just get some cables to see if it works. I got my model 1 Sega CD from ebay this way, along with another Genesis and several games, all for $50. Feels good man.
>>
>>3510296
The spindle that holds the cd up was pushed down causing the cd to drag. There was also a $1 coin inside...
>>
The megadrive is my favorite console, I had it with the megacd, but it brings me a really embarrassing moment of my life, I cringe hard and I get kinda sad too.
>>
>>3510345
Eh. I preferred the PS1 versions but others may like the SCD ones better.
>>
>>3511460
Master race owns both versions.
>>
>>3511470
I don't like Playstation emulators, personally. The interfaces are not comfy.
>>
>>3511463
I don't keep inferior versions in my collection.
>>
>>3511493
You're missing out then, the Playstation version of 1 is pretty cool and has an all new soundtrack.
>>
>>3511516
Nice jokes, anon
>>
>>3508780

wait till you see how much the games get
>>
>>3508780
Honestly if you have $100 to spend on that you might as well spend $300 and get a laseractive. Sega cd that plays LDS and ald games, and is the only sega cd with optical audio.
>>
>>3511589
>shipping a laserdisc player
>>
>>3511589
>triple your cost for expensive-to-fix hardware

Not him, but no thanks
>>
>>3511563
Most CD games are still pretty cheap, unless it's one of the Working Designs games. Android Assault and Sonic CD you can get for $40, and even stuff like Shining Force CD you can get for about $100. Still not as pricey as Saturn.
>>
>>3508780
It is not worth buying because they are first generation CD technology and the motors die quickly.

The Sega CD has an excellent library of games despite the "only good for FMV games" crap.
>>
>>3508780
>looking up random crap on ebay couple weeks ago
>search sega cd
>find one for 40 buy it now
>sellers claims didn't power on
>buy it
>get sega cd in the mail
>it powers on

Best deal I've gotten because the seller most likely didn't plug in it's own power unit into the sega cd.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.