[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shining Force thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: Shining_Force.jpg (39KB, 349x494px) Image search: [Google]
Shining_Force.jpg
39KB, 349x494px
So, I'm completely new to this series, I'm playing the first Shining Force on GBA and I'm loving it so far.

I'm intrigued by SF3 on the Saturn, I plan to play it later, but from what I have read, this is a big game spanning three parts, right? Are all three parts emulatable (and playable in English) yet? I want the complete experience

Shining Force (and Shining in general) thread, Tao is best girl so far. Keep it /vr/.
>>
File: 165465483213543.png (93KB, 330x550px) Image search: [Google]
165465483213543.png
93KB, 330x550px
>>3508686
>Keep it /vr/.
>I'm playing the first Shining Force on GBA
>>
>>3508690

We could about the original version instead of the remake.

Or any other game in the series for that matter, I've read that the series is still going.
>>
>>3508715
>I've read that the series is still going.

nope

>>3508686
while the games do take place in the same world the events in each game might as well be a different series. The SF games are barely related to each other beyond using similar mechanics and rarely mentioning previous characters or plot points. You could play the games in any order you wish.
>>
>>3508741

From what I've read, a Shining game (not Force) was recently released for the PS4.

I'm mainly interested in playing 3, it is possible to have the whole 3-games experience?
>>
>>3508749
Yes. There's a fan translation patch for the Japanese games. Your Saturn must be able to play burned games.
>>
>>3508686
theres some nice rom hacks that up the difficulty and stuff a bit
>>
>>3509157
What if I dont have a Saturn?

Is the emulator as shit as they say?
>>
I played all of Scenario 1 on SSF a few years back with only minor issues with the sound. I'd recommend 2 over 3, though. 3 is story heavy in a way that none of the others are, which might be attractive, but which was ultimately less interesting for me.
>>
>>3509459
Saturn emulation is crap.
>>
>>3508741
>nope
You one of those people who thinks a franchise is dead because you, personally, do not have access to it? It may be in a sorry state but the Shining series is well and truly alive, and that's a fact.
>>
I tried playing Shining in the Darkness last year but it seemed kind of shit.
>>
File: shining forceh5mldo1_400.gif (74KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
shining forceh5mldo1_400.gif
74KB, 256x224px
>>3508686
How is the GBA port? Is there any reason to play it over the Genesis version? Kind of in the mood for a replay. Curious if there's any reason to check that one out.
>>
>>3510298
The music is a little better, there's a bit more added to the main world map theme, I like it.
The characters all stand out a lot more, they're sprites will look kinda chubby an silly at first, but it'll grow on you, they're definitely way more detailed. Character portraits are great.
The story and translation is a lot better.
As for bonus content, not much really.

I'll probably get a lot of shit for it but I like the GBA remake more than the original.
>>
>>3510106
First-person dungeon crawlers aren't for everyone. There's a ton of grinding in it as well.
>>
File: gfs_50040_2_16.jpg (37KB, 602x402px) Image search: [Google]
gfs_50040_2_16.jpg
37KB, 602x402px
>>3510298
The GBA version is not a port, but rather a full remake. Here's what's different from what I can recall:

New translation. It's much more elaborate than the script in SF1, and it's done in a way that deliberately excludes many of its elements from the rest of the "Shining" series. It also has very big differences in style, like Max talking during the entire game.

There's three new characters: Narsha and her two companions. Narsha is Runefaust's princess, Ramladu's daughter. In between chapters, you get to play as her escaping from her kingdom to try and meet the SF. Story-wise it's not bad but it does get very bland very quick, with being able to see Runefaust early on as the only cool thing about it. Gameplay-wise, all three characters very overpowered. Narsha's flat out broken.

There's a card system. You win character and enemy cards by either "befriending" SF guys in your HQ (taking them to battle, levelling them up and talking to them as often as you can), defeating certain enemies with certain characters, or just searching for them in towns/maps. Cards can be equipped and used by one of the new characters, Mawlock, to grant characters extra turns, use map-affecting abilities, clone characters, or merely "copy" character skills. If used right (and it's not hard to do it at all) it completely overpowers you once the SF gets Mawlock.

Gameplay in general seems a bit easier, but on the other hand once you defeat the game you access "stars", a NG+ of sorts. Each time you beat the game again you a new star on your file, and each star makes the game a lot more difficult, so there's a lot of replayability if you're into challenges.

Graphics take a huge hit, pic related. It's not just the bright pastel colors, since that's needed on a GBA game. It's the style. Sprites are good, but the portraits have unappealing artwork, the battle animations are wonky instead of cool. Music is an orchestrated remix of the original, though it has that GBA potato quality.
>>
>>3510338
Well a different translation at least sounds like another experience, may as well give it a whirl, thanks.
>>
>>3510338
>the music is better on GBA
That alone is a miracle.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.