[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>selling old games on craigslist >pricing at or below market

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 6

File: a45.gif (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
a45.gif
1MB, 640x360px
>selling old games on craigslist
>pricing at or below market value
>"hey lol can u give me a better price????"
>mfw
Why are retro game collectors so cheap?
>>
>>3506470
Richfags just buy new games
>>
>>3506470
Same can be said about any item ever. It's called bartering. If you have a set price, typically once adds >Firm< to indicate you are not willing to lower the price further.
>>
>>3506494

Sellers who get butthurt by offers are the silliest thing ever. Politely declining, sure, that's fine. But if you take an offer personally and don't bother to come back with a counter and instead get angry, you've got some esteem issues.
>>
They think they're entitled to cheap games because they just hopped on the bandwagon a month ago.

That or more than likely the guy you were dealing with is a reseller fag
>>
>Why are retro game collectors so cheap?
Because they know they're never going to play the games so they want them at the lowest price possible. Also so they can go on Youtube and make about a video about how much of a great deal they got, after getting $5 off on a $200 dollar purchase

dumb frogposter
>>
>>3506470
Make it clear that you're not going to go lower. Haggling has been around as long as prostitution. Deal with it or find another way to make money.
>>
Probably they know they enjoy better buyer protection on ebay which is worth something and/or they're aware you the seller would be paying ebay/paypal up to 1/3 of your sale price and they think maybe you should pass that savings on to them.

This should be your standard operating procedure if you put games on CL at ebay sale prices - if people ask for a discount just immediately knock off ~25% and set that price firmly.
>>
>>3506826
This. "Market Value" on ebay or through a reputable games store includes a guarantee that your product will work/meet the description or you'll get your money back. Craigslist offers no such guarantee, so obviously most collectors won't risk paying full 'market value' for something that's basically a crapshoot as to whether it will work.

I only ever buy shit on craigslist if its price well below market, because the risk/hassle just isn't worth it otherwise. If you want to get top dollar for your games sell them on ebay and eat the paypal fees.
>>
File: obama112.jpg (63KB, 508x595px)
obama112.jpg
63KB, 508x595px
its called haggling, robot. it's a common practice in informal transactions. hell, it's pretty common in a lot of formal transactions, too. car buying, for instance. or any other transaction where prices are not concrete. companies haggle prices between each other. new employees haggle with managers for better salaries.

it's not cheap asses trying to get over. it is normal human behavior.
>>
>>3506494
sorry to be a language scold, but "bartering" is trading goods and services, directly, without cash or any other money. so, fixing OP's NES in exchange for the games would be bartering.

you are thinking of "haggling".
>>
>>3506494
>>3506514
Not everyone who's selling things want to deal with cheap dipshits bothering them. If you don't want to pay the price listed then keep your thoughts to yourself.
>>
>>3506470
>unloading collection
>don't want to be reseller scum
>price games at just below market value
>'hey can you deliver to 50km away city? I'll give you an extra 5 bucks for gas'
>'hey are you willing to go lower? .. Oh I dunno.. Free?'

Fuck people
>>
>>3508372
This kind of attitude only happens with antisocial hobbies that attract rigidly-minded people with poor social skills. Everyone else in the world understands haggling and bartering
>>
>>3508372
Just don't respond to people who haggle below your ideal price if it bothers you so much
>>
>>3506842
Seconding this.

90% of the ebay price is fair value if you know a game works and you're swapping without paying a middle man fee, and it only goes down from there based on condition and what sort of gaurantee you get.

It doesn't help that most people don't understand ebay pricing. At any given time you've got a ton of shit sitting there overpriced because big sellers aren't watching the details or because they're fine with their inventory sitting there for weeks on end. You can get some pretty good deals, buts it's always a function of time spent watching, waiting on auctions, what damage you're ok living with, and/or dealing with the lot it's bundled with.

The one big thing that it seems most people don't realize is that bundling your shit does not increase it's value. If I'm looking for a copy of Final Fantasy 8, I don't want to buy your copy of 7 and 9 and then pay 30% premium on top of fair market because you think it's a set, and I definitely wouldn't pay that much if I WAS looking for the set because I can buy them individually for cheaper.
>>
>>3506470
Its craigslist, you always list stuff higher than you expect or hope to get. Then if some sucker comes along and over pays you laugh all the way to the bank.
>>
>>3506470

Because Craigslist is for quick local cash sales. I have to physically go pick it up from the seller. If I wanted to pay full "market value" I'd stay at home and do it in my fucking boxers and enjoy the protection ebay offers
>>
>>3506470
Tell them "If you want it cheaper then this you're better off playing on an emulator". If they use the "But that's piracy!" argument, just tell them to either buy your already undercut priced game or deal with it.
>>
Probably because the market is so over inflated.

The "market value" .means nothing. people pay that because the re-sellers list them at that price.

>go into pawn shop
>NES with 6 games
>Yellow af
>$400
>Says its super rare and hes selling it cheaper than ebay.
>>
>>3508689
The untold truth of being "reseller scum" is that
>it ain't easy

You deal with dumbasses on the regular. Guys who flake, and worse, guys who show up 5+ dollars short to the meeting.

I get it, your dad showed you this awesome haggling tactic when you were a kid. Anyone who tries that I just instantly pack my stuff up and walk away. Then they go on some tirade how I'm going to let the deal fall through over 5 bucks and I just say "Yeah, are you?" then when they magically pull out the difference I just tell them to fuck off.

I may get lower profit margins on eBay, but at least I don't get 20 questions and bullshit like asking me to meet at insane hours (I've had requests for 4:30 AM and 10:30 PM), asking for deliveries 2 hours away, asking for discounts and general fuckery.

Honestly, buyers on eBay are pretty happy as long as you aren't selling them absolute shit or try and pull a fast one.

If you take a second to just wipe your shit down so it's clean and not covered in fucking dirt, make sure it works (and video it working, I've had guys try and tell me shit doesn't work right and want a discount, I link them the video I took and they shut up pretty damn fast) and pack it nicely (I wrap it in paper towel, tape it with painters tape, put it in a bag or wrap it with seran wrap (for water proofing) and then bubble wrap or packing peanuts depending on size/shape.

I've never paid for packing material. It's all stuff I have around the house, or stuff I've gotten from buying stuff on amazon/eBay and reused.

100% feedback. over 3000 transactions.
>>
It's called haggling.
Lots of people want to get a low price no matter what they're trying to buy.
>>
just make it a bit more expensive or type no haggling
>>
>>3510080
Funniest part about being reseller scum is when other reseller scum try to Jew you down with a low balled offer and the say "I buy games for a resale shop and am willing to pay cash now if you discount that item".
>>
I don't even collect games, but if I were invisible and could teleport I would love to kill reseller scum and give away their stuff just to devalue this bullshit market. Of course, there would be other scum on the list that would have a higher priority, like the De Beers and their diamond bullshit, bankers, Rothschild and other families, MicroShit, etc.
>>
>>3510249
Anyone ever put their shit up on craigslist just to see what people will offer? I put up pic related last night, tried to make it sound like I was clueless as to what I had. So far the best offer I've gotten is 350, most lowball offer I've gotten is 30.
>>
>>3506470
You're a fucking idiot. Plain and simple.

Here's a little lesson in economics:
You start with a higher price than you are willing to settle for
They offer you much lower
You counter with a little higher than you want again
They offer a little lower than you want
You then settle on the price you wanted to begin with
>>
I call up local collectors all the time and all I get are drunk sounding morons answering the phone, and they can't enunciate words to save their lives.

Could you fuckers, like, sober up before doing business?
>>
>>3510518

I imagine game selling today to be more like:

>ask a price way above what is reasonable
>let item sit on ebay
>observe as no one buys it while the watcher count rises
>repeat steps 2 and 3 for months or even over a year
>still no one buys it
>eceleb #2364 uploads a video about something related to the item
>item proceeds to sell at or near your terribly high price to a hipster/investor/panicked collector/general imbecile
>>
>>3510873
This scenario is also realistic.
>>
>>3510513
Nevermind, just got this offer:
>"if the cartridges are untested, I will offer $20 cash for all of it, as-is condition."
>>
>>3508707
No, you're just some cheap dumbfuck that gets triggered when people aren't willing to play along with your dumb haggling.
>>
>>3506526
When I was selling my extras and unwanted stuff I set my prices $3-4 cheaper than average ebay price and sold within the week. my fear was that it would go to a reseller but I tried not to think about it. I used to do in-person trades but had a guy hold a knife on me and get all aggressive. Fortunately for me, the cops did a quick u-turn when I waved my hands. We both got our info taken and checked us for drugs then let go while the other guy got a $500 fine for threatening my life. This took place around the corner from a McDonald's and a plaza so I was surprised the dude had the balls to take a knife out like that.
>>
>>3511458
Thats pretty fucked up man. I sell from time to time on Kijiji and that kind of thing happening is always in the back of my mind. Luckily I've never had any weird shit happen during meetups.

>>3510513
I've thought about trying this before. Maybe with my NES games or something. Throw in a bunch of commons, sprinkle it with some rares/uncommons and then pretend you don't know what they are at all. I'd just be really curious to see what the lowest offer is.
>>
>>3511430
Lol, car salesmen would absolutely love you.
>>
>>3511374
>>3511374

I'm all for making an offer and I don't think a seller should be offended by shit, but come on, you'd think if he thought he could get a good deal he'd at least offer like $100 or something to try to guarantee getting it. Worst part is that he is probably a reseller and views making a $20 offer not as a way to get nice games to play but rather as a way to maximize his ROI.

Even in the good old days that lot would have gone for more than $20.
>>
>>3510513

there's a guy i know (who is a reseller himself) who basically tries to sabotage my city's craigslist and overall resale market. whenever someone posts something rare at ebay price, he'll post one at 1/4-1/3 ebay price to fuck with them. pretty noble work tbqh.

i've posted about why other people's prices and posts are bullshit, but they get flagged after a day or two (some asshole selling a loose pokemon blue still with the old save battery and torn sticker for $70 because that's what it's "doin on ebay.").
>>
>>3506470
You showed weakness by pricing it below average.
>>
File: 1458356199507.jpg (1MB, 5000x4777px) Image search: [Google]
1458356199507.jpg
1MB, 5000x4777px
>niche retro game on CL for 50 obamas
>text: I'll give you 20
>(the game was worth about 20)
>"$45 firm"
>check six months later
>it's still there
>text again: I'll give you $15
>"ok"
>mfw
>>
>>3512014

If more buyers stuck to their guns like that maybe the game market wouldn't have gone to shit.
>>
>>3510513
Done it before: The /vr/ Reseller Olympics

The rules are simple: how low can they go?
>>
I never understood selling for market price on Craigslist. The way I see it, Craigslist is like a garage sale in that people are selling stuff they don't need any more for cheap because they need it gone/a quick buck.
>>
>>3506842
Agreed.

Thankfully mostly everything I've bought from Craigslist has worked, aside from a Dreamcast with a messed up AV port that doesn't produce sound from one of the speakers, but all of it was for pretty cheap.
>>
>>3514007
And that's exactly how it should be, but a lot of people seem to just think it's eBay without the fees. Paying a few bucks more for something on eBay makes sense because there's a safety net there if it's fake/doesn't work/isn't what the seller promised.
>>
>>3514007

You lose about 15% on eBay with Paypal fees.

I just sold a CT on eBay for 130 CAD. which means I only really made like 110. Not even reseller scum, started at 0.99 auction.

If I sold it on craigslist for 125 CAD I would've came out "ahead".

But like I said earlier. I hate dealing with the retards who frequent craigslist. If I posted that Chrono Trigger at 130 firm, I'd get literally 25 people asking for it for 60,70,80,90 bucks, dumbasses wanted it delivered to their house hours away, and people flaking out on meeting up, even if you say "pickup only at my house" the amount of people who show up super late are insane.

So I'll take the hit to not deal with the bullshit. I made 110 and literally took 1 picture and the ad was about a paragraph. I took a 30 second video of it working on my SNES with the saves in tact. I literally ignored every single message about it, since dumbasses asking 20 questions on eBay are never the guys who win.

That's how I view it.
>>
>>3510513
I did that once with some pictures I found on here of boxed copies of Pocky and Rocky 1+2 and Mega Man X3. Said it was $20 for all three, and only two of the 30ish emails I got offered decent prices
>>
>>3514063

I think I remember telling you to put the box protectors on the real way.
>>
>>3514403
Probably, but I'm not the anon who actually owns them. I just used the pictures as bait since I don't own anything super rare like that.
>>
File: IMAG0020.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0020.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
>>3514063
>>3514494
I did the same thing once with this lot. 200 is the highest offer I got, the lowest was "well since they're untested would $5 each work?"
>>
>people posting pictures with rare games
>feigning ignorance

What, you really expect people to be appraising things for you, and then tell you how much they're worth? Given the number of repros floating around, lowballing is about right. I wouldn't be surprised if a popular scam is to play dumb with a sticker on a trash game and then take the highest offer.
>>
if im buying from some bum at a yard sale or some crap i'll give them like 5 bucks a game at most, if it's some ass hole off of creg's list i'll treat them like an animal and offer like 2 bucks a game and call them on the phone and raise my voice and get rowdy and slam my hand on the table and treat them like garbage, you have to do that to break them down or they'll gyp you out of your hard earned wagebux and theyll charge u 80 bucks for super mario bros / duck hunt. You have to do that to those ass hole's cause if you let them get away with it without putting them in there place and straigtening them out they'll charge so much megabux you wont be able to afford NOTHING and you wont have any games to play you'll have to sit around playin with your peeter.
>>
OP heres what you do, lets say you have a game worth $60-$70, you stupidly price it at about $100 if not a little higher so that when they hit you with offers, you say the lowest you'll go is $70 or maybe someone will buy it at your original price.
>>
File: 1449674943578.gif (1MB, 175x150px) Image search: [Google]
1449674943578.gif
1MB, 175x150px
>buying old games on craigslist
>see an great collection of sega saturn games and accessories for a great price
>they still have it because everybody was trying to low-ball them.

Some people just need to learn to throw down the money.
>>
>>3515278
I'm fine with haggling but if someone acted like that I'd tell them to fuck right off and not sell it to them at all. And if they got rowdy or violent I'd call the cops.

I mean I know you're bullshitting and have probably never made an independent transaction in your life (because you're a little kid), but still the point remains.
>>
>>3510513
So this is best one yet. I gotta give this guy at least credit for trying I guess:
>"These games mean a lot to me, they remind me of my childhood growing up. I can't offer you any money but I can guarantee they would go to a good home and be appreciated. Would you be available for me to come pick them up today after 4?"
>>
>>3515749
>next green text story is some guy claiming that he's an EPA agent and that those cartridges were criminalized in the mid-90's due to leakage if carcinogens in to the environment, but that he can avoid criminal charges if he allows them to come pick them up for proper disposal and pays the 200$ Disposal fee.
>>
>>3515847
Honestly with the replies I've gotten so far I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone wanted me to pay them to take the games. Almost all the offers I've gotten have been under 100 bucks, which makes sense since I tried to act clueless as to what they're worth and people no doubt want to get an insane deal. I just find it amazing that someone would straight up try to ask for them for free with the promise of "I will appreciate them".
>>
>>3515278
The second you raised your voice I'd just hang up. If you called back and didn't drop the shit I'd just call the cops for harassment.
>>
I'm pretty upset about how high market value has gone up in the past 3 years. Used to be able to find any first party Ninty game for under 30 dollars and now you see shit like standard OoT carts go for upwards of 50-60.
>>
>>3517191
Unless the demand goes down it's going to keep going up. Be glad for what you got back when prices were reasonable, because it's very unlikely we'll see things get back to that level.
>>
>>3510080
How do you handle this one?

"Hey can I come in and test it out to see if it works?"

I usually just ignore them. Like fuck im going to let some random stranger into my home. Why the fuck would I sell something broken to you? Though there probably are people that do that..
>>
>>3519187
He just said he takes videos of it working, or did you link back to his post by mistake?
>>
Cause theyre resellers.

But "legit collectors" are cheap too. I think its a combo of not knowing how the second hand market works and being immature babbys that want everything for nothing.
>>
>>3519187
I bought an Atari XE recently and asked the guy I bought it from if I could test it out before I bought it. If you're spending a decent amount of cash I think that's pretty fair. I brought everything I needed to test it and did everything out on his porch. He ended up with 75 bucks so I think allowing me to run an extension cord into his house for a couple minutes isn't too much to ask.
>>
>>3519381
Personally I would never meet anyone at my house. If you want to test things, fine, but bring your own power inverter
>>
>>3516028
What, you've never tried to pay your bills with appreciation?
>>
>>3519863
Appreciation is an untapped resource.

I got a surprising number of offers at $200, although 80 was about standard. Guess I shouldn't be all that shocked that only one or two people even came close to what all those games together would go for at retail. It's easily close to 400.
>>
>>3519572
>>3519381
>>3519187

I usually meet people at the mall since it's convenient for most people (trains and buses, lots of parking, etc).

If someone wants to test a 20 dollar game at my house, you're getting into territory where it's not worth your time honestly, especially since I hook my consoles up on a game by game case.

Again, one of teh reasons why I prefer ebay. I've had a few guys come into test stuff (consoles, a few expensive games in the past) and they start perusing my sizable collection and start either trying to chat me up about stuff or put in offers on shit that's not for sale. Yeah, I have a CIB earthbound, demon's crest, X3, Bubble Bobble 2, and 2 copies of Steel Battalion CIB. It doesn't mean they're for sale.

It turns a 1-2 minute transaction into 15+ minute transaction. Time really is money, so the longer you spend waiting, and small talking and shit is cutting into your profits. It's not worth your time.

Likewise, I rarely buy in CL these days. I only ever use it for arcade cabinets since shipping those is pricey and actually worth your time even with an hour,.

I'll take the profit hit for the convenience of just going to the post office at my leisure. I've had people late 15 minutes, then try and chat me up for another 10. If you value your time at even 20 bucks an hour. You just spent 10 bucks on nothing.
>>
>>3520341
You act like all you do is buy, sell and trade games for 8 hours when really it's just your own transaction of the day and you have to act like you're an important big shot who understands life.
>>
>>3520482
I actually do for the most part.

My work is minimal, but I have to be there in case something shows up.

I do a shitload of ebaying as supplementary income.

>big shot who understands life
I never claimed to understand life.

I understand the game that is buying and selling especially when it comes to video games.

It started out as a way to get games for cheap or free, then I saw a way to turn profit for myself. Reselling is a waste of time unless you're doing it right.
>>
>>3510080
I sell a lot of stuff on ebay and the picture sells the product.

I have the main picture of the game, manual, case. The second picture is of the manual and case with a small flatscreen TV in the background showing the games title screen. And the third picture is of the game resting in a double thick package box so they know it's not going to get damage in the post.

I add additional pictures showing the whole condition.

You need to satisfy buyers worries:

Is it the right condition for me?
Does it work?
Is it going to get damage in the post?
Does this seller look like he will look after me if anything goes wrong?
Am I going to enjoy the game? (Title screen will make them think yes)

Then I price it as a BIN in the top 20% of prices for that condition level (excluding the lucker prices) and wait a few months.
>>
>>3520526
How do you find new stock? I have a tough time looking for stuff that'll sell vs stuff I want for my personal collection
>>
>>3520538
A combination of things I don't want anymore, cheap lots I've bought, car boot sales, charity shops, local garage sales, summer village wide garage sales and local ads in shop windows.

I don't have a secret warehouse but I have been buying too much crap for the last 15 years...
>>
>>3520538>>3520539
That post wasn't me.

Ebay is getting harder and harder to source product on. Auctions that actually have easily sellable stuff (you know, SNES lots with Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, etc) are going for way higher. You can still make profit on them but you're often bidding vs. retards getting into the game vs. people who have been doing it since htey we're kids and have a lot of the common games that are going for absurd (shit like SoM going for 75 bucks). I've boughten a couple of eBay lots of good SNES games that I still turned profit on but they were in the 800-1000 dollar ranges, so that's prohibitively expensive for a lot of people, which is why its easier to get lots at that range.

I don't bother with craigslist for the most part. Everyone's asking eBay prices and without the benefits of buyers protection. I have occasionally gotten huge lots from people looking to unload, but it's a situation where you need to have a lot of cash on hand and move quickly. Spend money to make money kind of thing.
>>
>>3520550
I'm this >>3520526 guy.

100% agree, you just don't find decent Nintendo stuff very often, it's heavily scalped. But PS2, Xbone, DS, big box PC stuff can be good. I do find NES, SNES, N64, Gamecubes at car boot sales dirt cheap but in each case they only took it out of their car 20 seconds earlier. I also bought 56 boxed N64 games for £40 2 months ago at a car boot sale. again that is within 20 seconds of him taking it out of his car.

Collecting is not so fun anymore, I just do it out of habit now.
>>
>>3511430
Then don't sell shit on Craigslist or second hand at all if you don't have the social skills to haggle
>>
>>3511430
you haggle before you set the price, dumbass
not 5 dollars less because you "forgot". i can wait, you go to a fucking ATM and get me my FUCKING MONEY
>>
>>3510513
i do this honeypot emails and find out who are assholes, cheapfags and the like. any of you guys have flea markets with old man resellers who are like 60+ and run around the market buying up all the games?

i had a guy today try to steal a box of saturn games my friend found from a guy that cleans out houses. we put our shit about a good bit off to the side so people don't touch it and this guy is rummaging through it.

i pulled PDS out of it and set it off to the side out of the way , so he just takes it and starts to pay for it and he was like "oh, i found this over there". yeah, in our box we put off to the side, out of the way that you were WATCHING US look through and we already were going to pay for it. scumming asshole thought he somehow flip it on me that i was stealing from him or some shit, but the guy we buy from is there every week and he knows that we buy his gaming stuff so he naturally sided with me. reseller fatty waddled off all grumpy and shit.

i've seen him before too, he just hoovers up all the fucking games like a vacuum. he picked up a box of junk 3 dollar PS2 games because they were a dollar each, gets back to his stand and sells them at 5 a piece like people are going to buy them.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.