[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Old School RPGs Suck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: ultima-3-ega.jpg (169KB, 641x384px) Image search: [Google]
ultima-3-ega.jpg
169KB, 641x384px
>People tell me how great old school 80's RPGs are
>Decide to check them out
>They're all incredibly linear with single solutions
>There's really no difference between your characters: They either fight with melee weapons or with projectiles like fireballs or missles

Can we stop the "old RPGs are good" meme now?
>>
>be OP
>listen to rump bumping
>bear folds over
>"exodus is great you should check it out"
>>
>>3505490
It's time to stop posting.
>>
The conclusion that I came to is that old RPGs aren't particularly good as a matter of gameplay. They were a great value as a matter of price to time it took to play through the game. I mean you take your standard platformer from 3rd gen, and it lasts an hour or two, or until it got so difficult you ate up your continues/lives and you had to start over. RPGs lasted potentially tens of hours, because death didn't mean starting the whole game over, and the game was designed around exploring the towns and environment looking for a way forward.

When other games ended up providing as much content, RPGs become noticeably less fun. It was about 5th gen that it became grossly noticeable that an action-adventure game with exploration and story elements blew RPGs out of the water.
>>
>>3505509
Yeah a lot of RPGs just don't hold up. Both WRPG and JRPG. Their length was their value, and whether or not you actually liked the story and setting or whatever is personal.
>>
>>3505490
/bait
>>
>>3505490
>>
>>3505509
Pleb post. As expected of a /vr/ consolebabby though.
>>
Melee weapons aren't good in Exodus, ranged attacks all the way.
The differences lie more in the races since those determine your maximum stats and thereby what spells you can use and your fighting strength. The class just says what kind of magic you can use and limits your weapons.

The game isn't really linear. You've got several tasks you have to do in whatever order you want.
>>
>>3505490
Yeah those old CRPG's are fucking rubbish.
>>
>>3505538
Is this a new form for Penguin Poster/Smug 8-Bit Fantasy Anime Man Poster?
>>
80s western RPGs are essentially D&D for nerds that are too autistic to even have any nerd friends to play D&D with.
>>
Oh look, some little babby from the RPG thread decided to shitpost in response to his insecurities about classic RPGs.

Learn what an RPG is supposed to be, kid. Hint: it's not an interactive novel.
>>
File: 1423420146861.jpg (128KB, 600x694px) Image search: [Google]
1423420146861.jpg
128KB, 600x694px
>>3507435
>for nerds that are too autistic to even have any nerd friends to play D&D with.
The truth stings, anon, like the venom of a Yuan-ti.
>>
>>3507435
Wait wait, they're also for nerds that aren't that autistic to play D&D with other nerd friends.
>>
>>3506690
I saw this one years ago.
>>
>>3507626
It requires less autism to play D&D with friends than it does to play '80s RPGs. Especially if you're playing them in 2016.
>>
>>3507638
>It requires less autism to play D&D with friends than it does to play '80s RPGs.
D&D neckbeards are much more autistic than a 80's rpg, especially because you have to deal with many of them at the same time.
>>
>>3505509
>I mean you take your standard platformer from 3rd gen, and it lasts an hour or two
An hour or two which feels like playing 10 hours of an RPG

You get much more tired from playing a platformer for a short time than an RPG
>>
>>3505498
My cousin's boy friend is gay, he likes old rpgs. But he's the bottom and my cousin is the bear.
>>
File: Fish-1-624x417.jpg (66KB, 624x417px) Image search: [Google]
Fish-1-624x417.jpg
66KB, 624x417px
>>3505490
>new day, same bait

snoresville
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.