[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on this new "NES" console?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 35

File: avsretrousb.jpg (106KB, 1548x902px) Image search: [Google]
avsretrousb.jpg
106KB, 1548x902px
Thoughts on this new "NES" console?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGSidnlOhd4

NES on a FPGA with HDMI output.
>>
Another day, another clone.
>>
>>3503014
So expensive!

SO expensive
>>
>>3503014
It was already talked to death months and months ago when it was announced. Are you new here?
>>
Holy Shit

This

Is

Awesome
>>
>>3503014
So cool
>>
>>3503014
Me and my wife love it!
It's very AWESOME and COOL! Definitely a recommended purchase! Purchase it with your money!
>>
Thread will be a shitshow, but efforts to create actual good clones (as opposed to the cheap clones of the past) are good thing. Not super necessary at this point in time with so many used NES machines in working order, but it's not a bad idea to get started early.
>>
File: QLbig.png (430KB, 452x486px) Image search: [Google]
QLbig.png
430KB, 452x486px
Unrelated to the hardware, I'm kinda interested in Quadralords. Looks like a decent Warlords clone with some fun variations. Join-in-anytime makes for easier play at parties and it supports paddle (Arkanoid) controllers.

The other "AVS launch series" games seemed kinda meh.
>>
File: Super8v2.5-07.jpg (39KB, 400x341px) Image search: [Google]
Super8v2.5-07.jpg
39KB, 400x341px
>>3503084
I agree. Clones are coming a long way. I don't have a good low latency LCD or BVM so it's not really for me, though.
>>3503034
Could be worse. Pic related is $400 clone NES, and you need to de-solder and seat the cpu and ppu from an actual nes yourself, or pay $550 with them installed. I'm not sure who is being targeted with this thing, I guess it will last a long time and comes with rgb, but even then, it's kinda ugly.
>>
If it's actually $150 it competes favorably with its only competitor I know of the Jack DIY 2. Jack is better for connecting to CRTs and still has VGA output too but no HDMI. It also doesn't have a case or a 72 pin slot or 7 pin controller headers so... This thing is okay in my book, though I'd still just get an NESRGB mod for my top loader first.
>>
File: conan.gif (484KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
conan.gif
484KB, 500x282px
>>3503125
>low-budget
??????????????
>>
File: Uten navn.jpg (167KB, 1040x1071px) Image search: [Google]
Uten navn.jpg
167KB, 1040x1071px
The Apple of retro consoles.
>>
>>3503019
>>3503084
Just a thought, why can't there be an sd2snes with an FPGA-based FX chip? Is it too expensive?
>>
>>3503445

The chips are too rare/expensive and no fucker's figured out how to make one (or how to emulate one on hardware).
>>
My toploader NES just shit itself so I was considering it.

I'll probably just get a classic one. I respect trying to preserve the tech and adapt it to the new gen, but shit just looks wrong on an HDTV.

If it had HDMI -and- composite/s-video I would buy one no questions asked. Right now I'm just browsing craigslist and eBay for a cheap NES which doesn't seem to exist right now.
>>
>>3503014

$180 for an NES built on 'new' hardware with HDMI out, different color palettes, and support for famicom and famicom disk system.

That's pretty cool in my book.
>>
>>3503164
ugh this shit is so stupid. just emulate you fucking pricks and donate the $400 to a family that's starving to death
>>
>>3503125
Source? I know they do sell a version for $400 ish, and that there is a ~$150 difference for having the CPU included, but confirm that the other version isn't ~$280. Though I believe there is also a difference for what sort of video out it comes with.
>>
File: NCS.jpg (200KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
NCS.jpg
200KB, 1280x720px
>>3503014
>>3503164
It just looks abnormal without the logo.
>>
>>3503771
yeah, plus the scaling options and scanlines. I'm seriously considering getting one.
>>
>>3503125
Is "low-budget" really printed on some of them?

It's like buying a cup of noodles with "poorfag" printed on the label.
>>
>>3503685
>yfw as fpgas become more available the profit from peeling retro chips makes it happen for everything
EVERYTHING
>>
>>3503801
You obviously googled this and you're asking for a source?
>>
>>3504118
I didn't google it, it was discussed here before.
>>
>>3504148
Sure pal
>>
The console also have an extra sprites option.

https://youtu.be/lGSidnlOhd4?t=610

You don't get flickering when there are too many sprites on screeen with this option on.
>>
>>3504057
>>3503161
low budget is the handle of the creator. I have no idea at all where the cost comes from, (I was wrong, you have to buy NESRGB separate) but apparently he doesn't make much profit from these.
>>3503801
http://lowbudgetify.com/
>>3504187
It seems pretty neat and I can't watch that video right now, but game developers knew about the sprite limit and sometimes you can get garbage sprites or other artifacts with the option on
>>
>>3504237
I could have sworn there were like three versions, one without the PPU, and/or one with everything but the CPU, but on archive.org it has only one back then, and a time it was sold out.
>>
>>3504187
If it had that and as well as an overclock option to reduce lag, it would be kind of an interesting way to replay games.
>>
File: Koala.jpg (763KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
763KB, 1024x768px
>>3504360
>overclock option to reduce lag

that's not how that works
>>
>>3504363
Well, I suppose "overclock" isn't really the right word, but certain emulators (FCEUX does it IIRC) have an option for adding more scanlines to the PPU loop to reduce lag. (And probably breaks some games, which is why it would be off by default.)
>>
>>3503079
>my wife

how's your wife's son?
>>
>>3503079
DAE that even though we are on a board for toys anyone talking about toys is le big shill?
>>
>>3503164
I spend more money than that on dates with my mistress.
>>
File: her royal highness.png (410KB, 752x564px) Image search: [Google]
her royal highness.png
410KB, 752x564px
>>3504943
Which sense of "mistress" is that?
>>
>>3505043
Younger girl I'm cheating on my wife with.

I'm almost afraid to ask if there's another definition of "mistress" nowadays...
>>
It's pretty great. FPGA emulates hardware so most all games work with it, famicom and nes. Also supports disk drive. I bought an Everdrive and it works great.

Newest update supports custom palettes also. Analogue is decent but laggier because of upscaling to a non integer compatible to 240p.

Unless you did the hdmi yourself this is significantly cheaper than buying one outright. Just wish he'd make one for SNES.
>>
>>3503014
I believe it's for faggots.
>>
Why not just emulate instead?
>>
>>3503445
No doubt there will be, one day.
>>
>>3503793
>donating money to starving families
>>
>>3505054
>Your wife and mistress not being friends and cool with each other
Get on my level. Also, he's obviously referring to a dominatrix aka a D/s "Mistress" but you'd have probably automatically capitalized it from your training.
>>
>>3504943
>paying for pussy
Cmon meow
>>
>>3503014
So it's supposed to look like a Delorean right? Pretty cool I guess.
>>
I have one (1) question about this new "NES" console: Do flash carts work on it?
>>
>>3503093
>Games that look like early famicom titles or worse, shitty chinky homebrew from multicarts

Yeah no.
>>
>>3508276
Yeah.

I received my avs today. It's pretty neat.
I was able to easily play Mario bros as if it were on original hardware. Very responsive. Great picture, if bright at times. Cart went in and out nicely. Several different controllers all worked perfectly.
Sound seemed good, but I didn't analyze it too much.
Happy with my purchase.
>>
>>3504187
for what i seen, its really not worth with, since the enlargement option does distorts the pixels and fucks with the frame rate (shimmering, screen tearing and the like).

at least is not snake oil like the NT that guts actual nes consoles, cause you know that does not screams hipster shithead.
>>
Would rather a OSSC
>>
So what is the best way to go with NES hardware? I see there are issues with the original, top loader, and clones.
>>
>>3504071
>>3503685
>>3503445
Because the guy straight up said he'll never do it. He's even acknowledged he can do it but won't because he "'doesn't' want people who already purchased an SD2SNES to be 'butthurt' over the hardware upgrade"
>>
>>3510286
It depends on your display. NESRGB for CRTs but if these FPGA consoles do end up perfectly reproducing the processors, they might edge out even real hardware when using progressive scan displays
>>
>>3510325
I have nice Trinitron and my computer monitor. I probably will get an AVS, just kinda sucks it doesn't also have composite, component, etc. I know that the Analogue Mini is coming out soon but it cost way too much.
>>
It's cool, but i dont understand why you wouldnt just emulate instead and have the same thing for free.
>>
File: s-l1600[1].jpg (274KB, 1186x1600px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600[1].jpg
274KB, 1186x1600px
>>3510525
You're a candidate for the old Chinese equivalent of the AVS, usually called the Jack DIY Famicom 2. It has way more outputs and headers for four controllers but it's a PCB only, 60 pin slot etc etc and basically the same price as Bunnyboy is managing to sell his AVS for - definitely not enough difference to buy an enclosure, power supply jacks etc unless you had a lot of NES parts just laying around.
>>
>>3510665
I'm not technology smart enough to rig something like that, but thanks for the heads up. Just looking to get something that will work and it looks like the AVS will do it.
>>
Just ordered one.

AMA
>>
>>3511252
What kind of questions about it could you possibly answer if you just ordered it and haven't received it yet, you attention whoring fuckface?
>>
>>3511252
Start a thread when you get it if this one is dead. I'd rather get one of these for my mom for Christmas than the nes mini, would like an opinion not from people who did more than read about it
>>
File: Multicarts.jpg (94KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Multicarts.jpg
94KB, 600x450px
>>3511350
It's over 3x as expensive as the Mini and doesn't include controllers or games so if you add in a good controller and a couple good multicarts it's 4x as expensive but I'm pretty comfortable saying it'll be 4x as good unless they start busting left and right
>>
>>3511314
That's a good question! I'll get back to ya on that!
>>3511350
I most likely, although the video from >>3504187 explains it as well as I could.
>>
>>3510308
that seems a little odd considering it's open source. Krikzz products are not and he has no problem improving his carts over time (he shouldn't), but now that I think about it, anyone could probably step up and do it. my chink one works perfect and I paid like 80 usd, I'd do it again since I don't have every FX game and don't have a starfox 2 repro either. The only thing that sucks is the label, I need a new shell
>>
>>3511350
Are you going to also get your mom 30 of the most popular games? I'm not saying it's not better since the AVS is hardware perfect, but without a flashcart or multicart, or a ton of original games, it isn't as interesting as nes mini to a casual buyer who just wants to have a bit of nostalgia and then let the thing collect dust.
>>
>>3511469
Currently I have a Powerpak collecting dust since I don't have a dependable CRT, and I can't find any in my area. That's why I bought the AVS because modding my top loader would end up costing a bit more to ship it to GametechUS to mod it.

NES mini is a better choice as a present.
>>
>>3504390
>Adds more scanlines

Just stop. You're making yourself look stupid
>>
>>3511457
I wish somebody would because the handful of FX games are the only ones I give a shit about, and the cart can't do them.
>>
it looks nice and im getting it
>>
>>3511542
there's a twitch streamer who sold yoshi's island multicarts a few years ago, so I'm sure it's doable with minimal effort from people who are good at this sort of thing. I'd definitely buy a basic rom cart just for FX games, especially considering the door is wide open for a bunch of good romhacks too.
>>
>>3511531
Read this to see how it works:
http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12823
>>
>>3511581
I guess even if it was just a rom cart dedicated to FX games it would be worth it.
>>
>>3511425
>>3511469
She has a collection of games, and controllers, just not an nes anymore. She also only has an hdtv.
>>
>>3503164

What the fuck is wrong with the arms?
Freckle-City, population 1
>>
>>3503014
My NES died on me long ago. I still have a lot of cartridges. I wish it had more outputs such as RGB or VGA. If I wasn't so poor, I'd buy one because to get a HDMI or RGB modded toploader is even more expensive.
>>
File: PAY-BIRTH[1].jpg (59KB, 615x410px) Image search: [Google]
PAY-BIRTH[1].jpg
59KB, 615x410px
>>3515247
>>
>>3515912

Yautja! Looks like the predator.
>>
>>3503014
Why don't they make one that looks like the famicom?
That console has better aesthetics.
>>
>>3504360
If you overclock it to 88Mhz does it travel back to 1985?
>>
>>3515912
wat
>>
File: powerpakbig.jpg (76KB, 513x544px) Image search: [Google]
powerpakbig.jpg
76KB, 513x544px
>>3503014
It's cool but it's really expensive. At that price, would it have killed them to include an SD or Compact Flash slot on the thing? I don't really see the point of buying a clone console if you're going to be buying all the original cartridges anyway.
>>
>>3516287
Whoa, too blatant! Now, if they instead included some kind of generic slot, maybe something vaguely reminiscent of PCMCIA, that might work out.
>>
>>3515437
>Has all those consoles
>If I wasn't so poor,
Sell "just" the Wonder Mega and you will have the money.
>>
>>3516492
Then how will I play all my Japanese MegaCD games and Japanese Mega Drive games? Don't say emulation, because that's what the Alienware Alpha I got is for (just was not pictured because it is not /vr/, much like how I would have used a PS2 slim in the pic). The image on that post was to say "I enjoy my clone consoles". Also on that pic, I wish I had a Treamcast to fit the theme of the image (only learned about it this year) but I probably couldn't afford that either.

I got the WonderMega for $150 back in the day because it looked really cool when I first saw it in EGM. I still think it is the most aesthetically pleasing console I have (better than watchmojo's #1 of PS2). So that system is dear to me. Yes, I actually like clone consoles and had good memories with them.
>>
File: 20160923_041944.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20160923_041944.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>3516524
And here I thought I was the only one to own this game.
12 years old me struggled a bit with it. Especially since I knew nothing of Ranma back then. Although I guess that even with RPG combat, a VN isn't that hard to complete, but I also tried to get a gist of the story.
The opening and ending songs were so good tho.
Incidentally, the rest of my collection amounted to Sonic CD and Prince of Persia.
Sonic CD intro song is too good as well.
>>
>>3516524
>>3516539
Urusei Yatsura megacd is awesome too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdjY_OB2z7Y
>>
File: avs-front-closed.jpg (406KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
avs-front-closed.jpg
406KB, 1280x720px
>>3503815
What was the point of that edit?
>>
File: avsdecal.jpg (585KB, 1632x574px) Image search: [Google]
avsdecal.jpg
585KB, 1632x574px
I have one of these. It's pretty good. Haven't noticed any issues in any games so far. I've compared it to my real Famicom and everything seems spot-on. Overall I'm really happy with it.

I only have a few issues:

Lack of palette options was my main gripe, but that's been added in the new beta firmware. I'm also annoyed that there's fully-adjustable vertical overscan crop, but no horizonal adjustment. Just a simple preset option for "hide left side" and that's it. Why not just let us fully adjust horizontal overscan?

The Famicom support is functionally fine, but the port placement is bad. The cart slot isn't far enough forward to comfortably fit the FDS RAM adapter. You CAN use one, but you have to bend the cable really hard to get it in there, which makes me uncomfortable. Should've made the flap removable or something. Lastly, the FC expansion port being on the back is just plain bad. Not like there's a lot that needs it in the first place, but I have some expansion port controllers and it's stupid having to plug them into the back of the system.

However I do very much appreciate letting us manually adjust expansion audio volume. That's not something a lot of people would care about, but it's there.

>>3503815
>>3516564
I actually did this on mine, pic related. It does go a long way toward making it look "complete". I still wish it wasn't a trapezoid, but it doesn't seem far off from something Nintendo would've actually made.
>>
>>3515437
see
>>3510665
>>
File: I_gots_the_hookups.jpg (670KB, 2592x1944px)
I_gots_the_hookups.jpg
670KB, 2592x1944px
>>3516539
Oh yeah, even got the telephone card that Masaya gave with the first pressing of the game. Back in the late 80s to early 90s Ranma was a relatively popular series with the kids. The MegaCD version features an exclusive character not seen in the comic nor animation, but the game was somewhat rough. Still, there is a charm to it all, and was a game I had to get.

>>3516550
Yeah, that's from the same author too. I really like that it uses pixel art styled cinematics natively rendered by the hardware (like the kind on PC-Engine) instead of FMVs. The series is really old stuff but also was popular in its day. So I did have to get it too.

Back on topic, the systems on my prior post >>3515437 all connect up to the switchbox on this pic leaving a space for an RGB NES. However, given the price of one of those are upwards of $400USD, the RetroUSB AVS will eat up the last remaining HDMI spot on the HDMI switch pictured (actually HDMI input 2 on the framemeister, because all 4 on the switch are taken up by 360, PS3, Alienware Alpha emulation machine, and Plastation VitaTV). I had intended that last HDMI spot to be taken by a Wii-U which I do not have. [All the component/D-terminal ports of the pictured switch box are eaten up by PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, and PSP] So now you understand why I am hoping for additional outputs from the RetroUSB AVS, I still have 1, potentially 2, open JP21 RGB ports.
>>
>>3516669
If I may ask, what's a good HDMI switch? I really need one these days. Will any old cheap one do, or are there specific things they often fuck up?
>>
If my NES Blinking Light Win mod doesn't fix my NES then I'm just going to buy one of these honestly.
>>
>>3516708
I've got one of those. It's pretty good, I can vouch for it. Mine grips the carts really fucking tight, but then again I have the earlier Kickstarter version before they made them a little better.
>>
File: It_stands_alone.jpg (675KB, 2592x1944px)
It_stands_alone.jpg
675KB, 2592x1944px
>>3516626
I did, but the post also mentions that without any enclosure is the same price as the RetroUSB AVS. It appears to have the outputs I am looking for, but just as high priced and I do not have a Famicom to NES adapter (I only have NES games, didn't get any Famicom stuff aside from a gift from an old friend as pictured). I can't afford to 3D print a sweet enclosure either (I still really like the aesthetics of a Toploader NES).

Admittedly, I am not quite a fan of the RetroUSB's trapezoidal enclosure (view from top) either nor its flip open lid left there to top load a Famicom game (front loading a NES game is still cool to me since the lid should close right back with the game inserted). Integrated Four Score is nice.
>>
>>3516671
I'm not a good person to ask, given that I just went with the first one I found, and it has served me well. As you can see in the picture, every switch (aside from the gscartSW JP21 edition) are mechanical switches, meaning they don't require electricity. Primarily because I already have so many things eating up power. Mechanical switches essentially unplug and replug up another device when a button is activated. Some would say there may be some signal loss due to a longer length a cable becomes with the mechanical switch, and would rather a powered switch to maintain a signal. Tradeoff being there may be a small possibility electrical noise could be introduced. In my situation, I don't want to use up outlets given all the devices which already use them, but I just needed a lot of JP21 switching, so I had to settle for the powered gscartSW for convenience. A powered switch can offer nice features such as automatic switching (no need to hit buttons) and a little remote to control the switchbox.

You however are asking about HDMI switching, which is more complicated. As to my understanding is fully digital so signal loss will not be an issue. However, HDMI can carry lots of signals such as video, multi-channel audio, online internet packets, encryption data, and electrical power which may vary by version stepping of HDMI. The switch I use works for me, but I cannot attest to its long term use. It is a dumb mechanical switch, so it will not strip HDCP and just passes all the information along, so if you are planning to capture video make sure you have something down the line to strip HDCP (I use a cheap ViewHD 1x2 splitter I found on amazon to do that trick from the framemeister's output HDMI) especially if you want to capture from Sony devices like PS3 or Playstation VitaTV. I saw there is a really cheap automatic switch on amazon for HDMI, but the negative reviews on it scare me a bit. The HDMI switch I use cost me a bit over double the amazon one
>>
>>3516716
Im hoping so. I just bought this because I was desperate to Finish FF1 and didn't want to trouble shoot the problems with my rgb toploader.

So I bought it off this guy that showed it working, but I guess he took 8 hours trying to get a good seat, since this thing is like throwing a hotdog down the hallway.

I don't have good luck with NES'. I'll try and fix it but god knows whats wrong.
>>
not getting a NES clone unless it has RGB out and famicom/fds support
>>
>HDMI output for an old console

I get it, plebs want to play old games with blocky graphics, input lag (depending on monitor/TV), and fake scanlines... but just give people who actually care some RGB.

I've never seen fake scanlines that looked even remotely passable, it just darkens the image.
>>
>>3516798

If it also outputted SD I would buy one in a heartbeat.

CRT's just look better for old stuff. New stuff looks better on HD for sure, but old stuff should be on SD.
>>
File: DSC_3514.jpg (385KB, 1773x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3514.jpg
385KB, 1773x1080px
>>3516743
>transparent plastic tubs full of game junk
Just moved and know this feel
Still have to unpack
>>
>>3516669
Oh right, I got that telephone card too. I'd have to find it again, it's somewhere in the house for sure but who knows where.
I wonder if it holds any value with Japanese telecardo collectionists. Who was the original character? The baiman or the professor-type guy? I think the non-core girl who appears in the game is Azusa Shiratori, in retrospective.
Also, I think my Mega CD is broken. I got it because some importer guy convinced me to (PAL Mega Drive and Mega CD used to be 20%, this was true).
>>
>>3516564
Seems pretty obvious, it is not a Nintendo. But it's very alike, and needs to be called something similar.

And it's probably not as entertaining as it was new and current.
>>
File: Asking_for_diagnosis.jpg (688KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Asking_for_diagnosis.jpg
688KB, 2592x1944px
>>3516854
Great pic, you fooled me a bit. I'll give you props for figuring me out. I really didn't take care of my stuff like you did, and I wish I did, as seen with how beat up my Famicom game by comparison to yours. Also, I failed to unpack because I am still trying to figure out the kind of rack/shelves I should get before posting on the battlestation thread on /vr/. Thinking of a custom build desk/shelves. The issue is that I'm so poor I still use CRT monitors (which is why I had an XRGB2 since the mid 90s for my gaming purposes) which are heavy as hell. I have two widescreen CRT monitors which I like at 1920x1200, but my current desk is only rated for just a bit more weight than one of the monitors on the upper level (nailed in an extra support board).

>>3516798
>>3516815
Pic is my dumbphone picture of my monitor. Sorry, I am bad at pictures, the sunlight and glare plus I haven o clue how to get this phone to sync up it shutter to the refresh of the CRT. So I assure you those "lines" in the picture are not visible in actual play. Anyway, I don't sense any input lag, granted I'm not a pro player, and since I'm used to "blocky" sharp pixels with XRGB2 on CRT monitors along with arcade monitors, I say just play games with what looks best to each individual. So with the RetroUSB AVS, could be just fine for me. Though, I too hate fake scanlines.
>>
File: rorschach-inklot-test-promo.jpg (20KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
rorschach-inklot-test-promo.jpg
20KB, 620x350px
>>3515912
I'd hit it from back and tell her I see a squirrel getting its nut
>>
>>3503014

does it play famicom games too or just american ones?
>>
File: Untitled.png (2MB, 1440x898px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2MB, 1440x898px
>>3503014

>not just buying a raspberry pi and putting retropi on it

why the fuck would i want to buy an expensive console just to play nes games in hd?
>>
>>3505043
What game is this?
>>
I just got one of these cheap ones for a cousin's kids for twenty bucks and got him a few games for it.

Meanwhile, a friend paid a few hundred to have his old NES modded to play on his HD tv.
>>
>>3517624
Your friend got his money's worth while you bought shit.
>>
File: 965198494.jpg (146KB, 977x818px) Image search: [Google]
965198494.jpg
146KB, 977x818px
>>3517231
>act raiser
>>
>>3517618
One you should call Gamestop to check if they have it in stock.
>>
>>3516743
>See interesting game
>No idea what it is
>Search song that's kinda readable on the box
>Still no clue on which game it is, but the song is pretty cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXMnANJHf48
>>
>>3518007
Heh, I am glad you like the game too, this is why I don't have the time to play some games. Primarily because I keep revisiting fine games like Actraiser. It is hard under the conditions to take a good picture of the screen so the colors are off in the picture, but vibrant when actually sitting in front of the monitor.

>>3518190
I'm glad you asked, sadly it is not a /vr/ approved system, so I will not take a picture of it. That would be the sequel to Bullet Soul, Bullet Soul: Infinite Burst. Essentially it is a easy-mode bullet hell shooting game, since if you destroy a source all is fired bullets turns to collectable score multipliers. It is region free and the games were pretty inexpensive in their day. I preordered it because I loved the first entry, but it is still sealed because I never got around to it yet. Here, while you are on youtube, a video on its previous entry: https://youtu.be/zC0keA1cgoM
>>
>>3508001
>Get down to my level
FTFY
>>
>>3504943
How far up your own ass do you have to be to come into a retro videogame board to post that?
>>
File: IMG_20160924_162913_674.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160924_162913_674.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>3511252 here, time for an unboxing
>>
File: IMG_20160924_163300_408.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160924_163300_408.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>3519676
>>
File: IMG_20160924_163541_089.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160924_163541_089.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>3519682
The design of the box is nice overall, but the images are low res.
>>
>>3519687
In the box

The power button is pushed down on the unit?
>>
>>3519691
Forgot pic
>>
File: IMG_20160924_164154_665.jpg (945KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160924_164154_665.jpg
945KB, 2592x1944px
>>3519694
There was a white powder in one of the corners. It wiped off very easily. Maybe this case was 3D printed? Plastic seems to be ABS. The cartridge lid does not snap into place and hangs loose. If the unit is turned upside down, the lid flies open. Build quality of the ABS is top notch.

The color does not accurately replicate a brand new NES system, but rather a slightly yellowed one. Not sure if this was intentional.
>>
File: IMG_20160924_165053_389.jpg (1019KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160924_165053_389.jpg
1019KB, 2592x1944px
>>3519707
Time for initial testing. The manual states that any powered usb hub will be enough to power the device. I will be using the usb port on my TV and my flash cart to stress test this claim. Flash carts apparently use more power?
>>
File: IMG_20160924_165521_054.jpg (916KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160924_165521_054.jpg
916KB, 2592x1944px
>>3519724
Successfull boot on the first try. I'm going to set some options then play a game. My camera is awful do don't let it serve as a accurate representation of the video quality. This is a native 720p screen, so not 1080p upscaling. I'm in game mode so this will be the smallest amount of lag you can experience in this unit.
>>
File: IMG_20160924_173233_960.jpg (886KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160924_173233_960.jpg
886KB, 2592x1944px
>>3519745
It does indeed run with the tv's usb power just fine. There was no perceptible lag that I was aware of either. I tested SMB 1-3, Super C, RCR, and Castlevania. Everything felt right. The palette of colors isn't like what you would find on an RGB NES, but they aren't as harsh as the ones on an emulator. They were pleasing to me.
>>
I wish I could afford one of these things, but I'm happy with fceultragx on my Wii -> CRT TV.

FPGAs have resulted in some amazing shit for the retrogaming community. Optical disc emulators, entire hardware emulators, and soon we'll have an FPGA Dreamcast HDMI hardware scaler.
>>
>>3519947
What a time to be alive. If you can afford it, you can get all kinds of FPGAs which will only get bigger and cheaper - and if you can't afford them homebrew software on dirt cheap value-troughing hardware like Wii and other 6th gen consoles do an admirable job of faking it.
>>
>>3519821
Ran into a problem.
I'm unable to update using Linux.
The scoreboard software only supports Windows and iOS.
Wine does not work.

Just a warning.
>>
>>3518176
But how would you do that if you're wondering what game it is? You'd have to instead take that image to a gamestop and ask them in person.
>>
>>3511252
Have you ever put a finger in your butt and then smelled it?
>>
>>3503014
I just got mine today and I love it.

But I can only recommend it if you're in a very niche group of people who
-Prefers playing physical games on "hardware"
-Doesn't own a CRT and wants to play NES games on an HDTV without it looking like ass or blowing 400 dollars on a scart upscaler setup
-Too dumb/cheap to mod
-"Cheap" way to play native, imported, and FDS games all in one

Most people will be content playing emulators or their old hardware on whatever TV they have but if a few of these sound like you, it's worth the investment.

Build quality is nice and I love the dumb scoreboard features. Also looks great for recording.
>>
My question with these is who has nes games but no nes? If you have no nes games, why buy this?
>>
>>3520859
>buy this and multicart
>now u gaming on modern tv
>>
>>3520883
But at that point, why not just emulate?
>>
>>3520859
Despite popular opinion, NES don't last forever.

Plus NES video output is shit so your options are deal with it, spend 300 dollars to mod it, emulate with something like the retcon, or famiclone.
>>
>>3520337
Try looking for "calling Gamestop" on google.
>>
>>3521060
A lot of people dont like that.
This gamer grill was looking to get a SNES and homeboy was like LOL just get emulator
She said na nigga and got the real one
>>
>>3520415
Maybe when I was a kid
>>
>>3503054
>>3503057
>>3503079
>>3503145
>>3503771
>>3504049
So this is a shill thread, huh?
>>
>>3503014
So this is.......

The power................................

Of a really overpriced famiclone......................................................................
>>
>>3503014

talk about niche market
Thread posts: 140
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.